Stage Select

The Guilty Gear general: Getting Wildly Assaulted in the Keyhole

My hands hurt now but this game is fun. 🙂  

Also I bit surprised by Pot's range.  You were whiff-punishing damn near every sword poke I got on the regular.  It wasn't hammerfall that worried me, it was your normals.  Pot is not a grappler!  He's more a sword-user than Ky!!! What's Pot's weakness?? 

Also GGs @Volt We were neck n neck before we got kicked.  I get Ky's DP instead of fireball or vice-versa a lot too.  The connection was good!! 

Now if they'd only straighten out the private lobbies and add crossplay then we're all set. 

16 minutes ago, Pair of Rooks said:

Also I bit surprised by Pot's range.  You were whiff-punishing damn near every sword poke I got on the regular.  It wasn't hammerfall that worried me, it was your normals.  Pot is not a grappler!  He's more a sword-user than Ky!!! What's Pot's weakness?? 

Pot has shit mobility it's a struggle getting in. He has to rely on the universal mechanics for defense has his only reversal option is a super that isn't that great. 

@MattatsuGGs man. You're definitely getting the hang of Millia.

You did a great job playing around my ranges to start. I think once you get more comfortable dealing with my counter adjustments I'll be in a lot of trouble. Not that anyone likes being in the Millia blender but with Ram it feels like she can really dance around me if I let her get a foothold.

@KingTubbYou are a magnificent Dolphin riding bastard. Never change. 

@M A R T I A NI appreciate the Axl beatings.  And the Potbusters for awareness. 

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

Pot has shit mobility it's a struggle getting in. He has to rely on the universal mechanics for defense has his only reversal option is a super that isn't that great. 

Reversal... That's that thing that says REVERSAL on my side of the screen as you slide up and pot buster my wake-up DP anyway, isn't it?  🤢  That happened at least 3 times.

I don't think Pot's missing much on the whole reversal thing. 😂

I did feel ok at super max range HS into fireball, but all else tells me to lab some better punishes. And find a hitbox viewer for Ky. 

Also: no Giovanna?

Run momentum:

I've been playing Gio.  So after playing her/Stive for 5 mins, I've found that she doesn't have many options like most of the cast.  But, what she does have is very good, plus on blocks moves, multi hitting normals for hit comfirms and easy combos.  If you're new to GG I would recommend her, she allows you concentrate more on the core mechanics.  I think ASW have done a good job with her.

Anyway, my initail thoughts on the game is, it's not +R, but it is Guilty Gear and I'm really enjoying it so far.

Gio does seem to be for new players but she’s just too plain for my taste. Don’t like jumping straight to a character like Nago but I find her, Sol, and Ky to all be pretty dry. I’ll probably be waiting on DLC to pick up another more traditional character. 

29 minutes ago, Sonero said:

For all the complaining about wall breaks, I gotta say that they are the hypest thing at a bunch of times.

Yeah, i love the visual aspects of the wall break. Its always fun to do. That said, against Martian’s Axl last night, i realized I should really hold off and try to keep him in the corner. Won’t be the same for every character/opponent, but was definitely against him.

my biggest issue with it is how oddly it behaves. It seems to have so many properties that attribute to it, that it makes it feel inconsistent as all hell....

actually, maybe that’s just the point? Maybe they wanted to make it really hard to make predictable setups with it?

41 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

my biggest issue with it is how oddly it behaves. It seems to have so many properties that attribute to it, that it makes it feel inconsistent as all hell

Per my earlier schooling about burst points, it seems any hit or situation that prevents bursting also prevents wall breaks.

So add that layer on top of whatever HP and or threshold it's got going on.

46 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

my biggest issue with it is how oddly it behaves. It seems to have so many properties that attribute to it, that it makes it feel inconsistent as all hell....

actually, maybe that’s just the point? Maybe they wanted to make it really hard to make predictable setups with it?

Maybe that is part of it. If you look in the SFV Lounge discord in the Strive Serious Discussion Volt posted up an early take as to what the wall mechanics may be. It is quite a read. I say may because hell if I know if any of it is true.

Even if it isn't, it illustrates the point that they purposefully made something that initially seems really straightforward - hit into wall until wall boom - actually fairly complex. I don't think they did this to be unpredictable (though that is a side benefit), I think they did it to have it be something that has enough rules to it that as a mechanic it doesn't get stale super duper quickly.

In ideal scenarios the wall can be pretty easy to manage. But the game rarely plays out ideally, so the offensive player needs to be mindful of the wall state, along with what offensive choices they are making and how they will interact with that state. It can also be a boon for the defender as well: if the attacker isn't mindful of the wall state, you can end up eating a splat/break situation that is much more bearable than what the optimal choice would have been (easy example is missing an OD break opportunity off a quick splat, or what is very common is the attackers route flounders and you get a chance to wiggle free).

I don't think its super deep or anything. But I've personally enjoyed that extra level of engagement since the core offense in this game is more streamlined than something like +R (which feels much more like managing your core offense is like managing the wall situation, as a really rough and shitty analogy). 

Also yesterday I managed to improv a fat wall damage combo that looked cool so of course I'm positively disposed to it ATM. 😄 I may have lost that round and maybe the game, but that Alex Twitter Clip will forever be in my heart.

Yeahhhh I’m already starting to have second thoughts about Nago. He’s very cool but between his lack of mobility and hard cap on how much he can use specials I feel very restricted trying to use him. 

If his buttons (specifically his S and HS variants) were a bit better I could cope but they all feel too slow to be truly abusable. They’re good but not “you’ll be relying on these for 75% of the match” good.

1 hour ago, Vhozite said:

Is there a way to change the button displays to the universal PKSHD instead of the PlayStation buttons?

Probably. I saw someone on the Strive subreddit asking for people to do it on combo vids.

25 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

If his buttons (specifically his S and HS variants) were a bit better I could cope but they all feel too slow to be truly abusable. They’re good but not “you’ll be relying on these for 75% of the match” good.

That's true. I was almost getting the timing to whack you with Sol's 6S.

The range is still kinda absurd tho, and iirc, higher blood levels raise speed and range.

Shame I got a ton of stuff to do today, I wanted to try out Mission mode.

7 minutes ago, Volt said:

The range is still kinda absurd tho, and iirc, higher blood levels raise speed and range.

The range definitely gets bigger on some attacks, though it’s much more noticeable on some attacks than others. Like on 5HS he gets a noticeable increase in range at every level of blood rage, but on the other HS’s it’s a bit more subtle.

2 hours ago, Reticently said:

Leo is like Guile and Alex did the fusion dance, and then went back to SFxT to learn a stance change from a Tekken character.

But I think I'm actually going to main Anji after all.  He only looks basic until you find out that his combo routes are fucking nuts.

Anji is fun but my initial thoughts are that he's a bit gimmicky compared to the other characters. My day 1 guess is that he's low tier - I haven't seen many top players using him.  I'll probably keep grinding with him though.   I found a combo that does 70% in the corner but you need to land a cr.HP starter and I haven't managed to do it once in a real match lol.  

15 minutes ago, HeavensCloud said:

My day 1 guess is that he's low tier

He's totally gimmicky, but I can't really guess about tiers yet.

I think he'll be about getting people to respect his dodge, and then forcing high/low/throw on them.

Cr.hp (heavy slash I think?) probably isn't happening outside of big punishes.  I've had trouble with network drops when I've tried to get games, but messing around in arcade cr.K xx cr.D xx qcf.S seems like a much more practical party starter.

34 minutes ago, HeavensCloud said:

Anji is fun but my initial thoughts are that he's a bit gimmicky compared to the other characters. My day 1 guess is that he's low tier - I haven't seen many top players using him.  I'll probably keep grinding with him though.   I found a combo that does 70% in the corner but you need to land a cr.HP starter and I haven't managed to do it once in a real match lol.  

I am struggling with Anji ngl. But I think it's mainly still getting used to the Strive stuff. Purging old Guilty Gear habits has been.... difficult. 

I think my biggest issue is the butterfly. It's just FEELS so damn gimped compared to old games. I feel Millia got dealt a similar hand with her hula hoop but she at least got some new tools to make it work for the game she is trying to play, but Anji? I honestly feel they shoulda just deleted the move completely if they're just gonna make it feel so "fair".

I dunno, just venting. Despite the issues I'm having I'm still having fun. I just can't shake this feeling I could, I dunno, be having more fun? Fuggin' weird feeling.

Edit: also not saying the Butterfly needs to be exactly the same as old games to be good. It's just that it was such an important cornerstone of Anji in old games, but it feels like just another special move in this game. 

Edited by Jocelot
10 minutes ago, Jocelot said:

I dunno, just venting. Despite the issues I'm having I'm still having fun. I just can't shake this feeling I could, I dunno, be having more fun? Fuggin' weird feeling.

I know this isn’t a fair comparison but the biggest mental hurdle for me right now is that Nago’s not Xrd Baiken. For some reason him having a sword makes me keep trying certain things that don’t work. 

1 hour ago, Jocelot said:

I am struggling with Anji ngl. But I think it's mainly still getting used to the Strive stuff. Purging old Guilty Gear habits has been.... difficult. 

I think my biggest issue is the butterfly. It's just FEELS so damn gimped compared to old games. I feel Millia got dealt a similar hand with her hula hoop but she at least got some new tools to make it work for the game she is trying to play, but Anji? I honestly feel they shoulda just deleted the move completely if they're just gonna make it feel so "fair".

Edit: also not saying the Butterfly needs to be exactly the same as old games to be good. It's just that it was such an important cornerstone of Anji in old games, but it feels like just another special move in this game. 

Yeah, never played +R myself but from what I gather he was all about the  butterfly oki.  In this game you're really only getting butterfly stuff off hard knockdowns from sweep and throw.

I really wish far slash comboed into Fuujin because that's a great button.  

I'm doing more Mission mode.

* "Reduce Ky's advantage on block by stand-blocking his Foundere Arc kick."  By how much, and is it just because it hits high first, or because of a system mechanic with crouch blocking?)

* Giovanna's spiral arrow can be low-profiled. Huh.

* Burst gauge increases faster when low on health. 

* "Move compatibility refers to which moves trump the other when the two moves overlap".  So it isn't just hitboxes and hurtboxes?  It's literally a priority system? WTF?

* Sliding RC: Input the dash before the Red RC, meaning, input the dash during the startup of your attack when the dash input normally wouldn't do anything.  Apparently the dash is buffered so when you finally input the Red RC, it notices a buffered dash and then incorporates it.  (It also means you have a couple more frames to hit-confirm the RRC before spending the meter: always input the dash, only hit-confirm the RC.)   Also, the direction you were pressing when you pressed Dash determines the slide, not the direction you're pressing when you push RC.  A directional dash is buffered, not any dash. 

* The display showing us our inputs (turn on via Pause menu, Display Settings) dims some buttons/directions.  The bright inputs are the new inputs, the dimmed ones are the ones still being held down from a previous input.  

* IRRC into command throw is apparently a grimey thing to do.  Game says "it is especially effective".  I hear ya, game. 😆

* Most command-normals involving pressing Toward are good candidates for kara-cancelling from.  Not because of micro-walk, just because most command normals that ask for a Toward direction also move that way. 

* We can input specials during a Super Freeze, particularly near the end of the freeze. (Didn't SF4 work this way and they patched it out? Or vice-versa?)

* Instant Blocking (not Faultless Defense with the barrier graphic! There's no graphic for IB nor any Tension required.)  has two parts:  pressing Back just-in-time negates the pushback but not the blockstun. You can't actually move until you put the stick back to neutral. Tapping Back negates pushback and most blockstun but obviously increases risk when you Back too early. 

* Game uses "fuzzy guard" incorrectly. And makes up "Fuzzy jump" for ordinary neutral jumps vs throw attempts.

* When game asks you to "punish fuzzy jump" it actually wants you to hit the pre-jump frames after your 1st attack was low-blocked.  I.e., make your 2-hit true blockstring non-true. This was totally unclear to me in-game. 

* In the throw-tech lesson, if you microwalk forward and throw the bot clean, it still fails you.  I've had high school teachers like this. 🤣

Edited by Pair of Rooks