Stage Select

The Guilty Gear general: Getting Wildly Assaulted in the Keyhole

32 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

I gotta admit, after all the games we have played, I have no idea at kind of a character you play, other than usually females (which is all good, I’m the same too lol).

I think you like a decent neutral character with easy ways to get in…. That’s probably actually May, lol, but I-No may be okay if you don’t mind a bit of mix and are okay her ground/air dashes. Ram is a brute in neutral, and doesn’t seem to suffer too much up close or with mobility either

Honestly that's more of SFV thing. I played Gouken in SFIV. in SF3 I played Alex, Sean, and Elena was my third character. I only tried Elena back in they day because it was cool to see black female character. The things I like in characters are mostly in female characters in SFV. I typically like counters and long range normals, It's why Kolin is my most played characters by far. I like characters that can go high and low but overhead are slow in SFV. I liked Elena in SF3 because I could poke my opponents form distance and she had multiple overheads. Alex is basically the only male character I use in SFV. He doesn't play the same as in SF3 but the one thing that carries over his nice long range normals. If you can keep your opponent out they press you and make mistakes that you can punish. Sean was a bit of an outlier. He could steam roll you with high stun output. It's too bad he wasn't in 3S. His stunt double Shon just couldn't measure up.😑

Edit: Siegfried and Taki were my SC go tos. Siegfried had long range and dealt big damage. Taki, like Sean (the real one not the 3S impostor), could just steam roll people making them crack which created a snowball effect in my favor. Hmm....I guess I just figured something out. I either like to keep people out or overwhelm them. Never realized the second thing until typing out this post. Maybe that's why I clicked with Laura before Alex and Kolin dropped.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
14 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Honestly that's more of SFV thing. I played Gouken in SFIV. in SF3 I played Alex, Sean, and Elena was third character. The things I like in characters are mostly in female characters in SFV. I typically like counters and long range normals, It's why Kolin is my most played characters by far. I like characters that can go high and low but overhead are slow in SFV. I liked Elena in SF3 because I could poke my opponents form distance and she had multiple overheads. Alex is basically the only male character I use in SFV. He doesn't play the same as in SF3 but the one thing that carries over his nice long range normals. If you can keep your opponent out they press you and make mistakes that you can punish. Sean was a bit of an outlier. He could steam roll you with high stun output. It's too bad he wasn't in 3S. His stunt double Shon just couldn't measure up.😑

Have you even looked at Faust's normals? 

Or the bonkers three-quarters stage overhead?  😄 

Honestly, @Darc_Requiem you may want to try Ram. She can keep people out with her big  ass swords, and she can kinda overwhelm people too. I-No is probably better at overwhelming people…

actually, fuck, the more I think about it, the more practically everyone could work for you in one way or another lol.

A lot of people in this game either have the ability to overwhelm or has ways to keep people out, and some can kinda do both.

I guess maybe just go with whoever looks the coolest to you or is the most fun. The main reason I play Millia is because she’s fast, has great air mobility, and a lot of her BNBs are air combos, which are all just really fun for me. I’ve realized good, quick movement in any video game usually leads me to having fun in it (take Doom Eternal for example), and may favourite part of any MVC game was doing air combos.

I tend to prefer all-rounders because I like playing different ways which are dictated by which opponent I'm up against. I like having a variety of tools at my disposal, even if each is mediocre. There's a bit of puzzle solving with such characters.  I do have a slight preference of longer ranges over cqc though.

I'm pretty happy with Strider Kiske. 🥰 He looks cool too.

@GetTheTablesis right about online Rams: they throw their swords too much, and with it the round. 

Right now I'm having trouble with defense. I never know when my opponents strings end so I never know when it's safe to touch a button. 

Homework: dash xx Stun Dipper, yay or nay?

9 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Hmm....I guess I just figured something out. I either like to keep people out or overwhelm them. Never realized the second thing until typing out this post. Maybe that's why I clicked with Laura before Alex and Kolin dropped.

I had a long post that got eaten by my connection. Here's the quick version of my thoughts on chars, assuming you're still debating:

Ram is crazy oppressive in mid-range and not bad up close either. She's a supreme midscreen bully that converts hits into corner carry which leads either to really solid corner pressure or just straight up wall breaks for big damage. No real mix ups to speak of outside of core system mechanics but that is probably for the best balance wise (she's already real nasty).

Gio isn't a bad choice. She has some surprisingly effective buttons that convert consistently thanks to her specials. She is really solid up close with a +oB normal (rarified air in this game so far as I've seen, though it's no Sol f.S) and great low confirms. She also has overhead gimmickry with her overhead kick special which should make you feel right at home after having played Alex. 😉 

Faust has similarly huge range to Ram. He also boasts a near fullscreen hit-grab and a massive range overhead that he can convert from. He also has a command grab for up close mix that lead to the afro state which in turn leads to further mix up potential (since the afro becomes a gigantic flammable hurtbox). Biggest thing potentially against him is that you need to be able to engage with his item mechanic as it is so core to the character. 

Anji is my wildcard pick. He's the closest thing to a "counter" character in this game with how his twirl works (and he has a legit counter OD), and he has high/low/mid mix off of Fujin. Biggest knock against him is that I don't know how his normals hold up and the general online feeling for the char has not been positive, though I've never delved too far into why that is or how that has shaped up since the game has been out.

Just my $0.02. I think this starting roster is pretty strong and diverse so I think with a little bit of poking around you can find someone who clicks with you.

3 hours ago, Volt said:

Nay. You won't get extra range because the slide is fixed. It's also horribly minus since forever and a half.

You're better off doing Dash xx 2S for a long low out of dash.

Stun Dipper's that one move that makes me go "why is this here?"   Both hits together do less damage than all other specials save fireball, which itself does the same damage as stand Kick, so that's no great achievement. The hits don't combo except at a specific range, and if blocked it's IIRC -15.   What's the move got that others don't?  Active frames. But don't use it as a meaty because unsafe. Forward advancing special.  But so's Arc Kick.  Maybe it has OTG uses?  Maybe it can catch landings, especially from Gio or Chipp who are giving me headaches? Long total duration probably means I escape the cross-up but then get slapped in the back while slicing air.  Slide under a long poke from Ram Pot Faust Nago?  Not with my reactions on a QC input. Is it combo-filler for a highly specific combo?  🤷‍♂️

EDIT: starter guide on youtube from ArcSys says it low profiles for long pokes and it combos from far S and also the tip of HS.  It knocksdown, setting up for oki.  But geez in a real match I'm not sure if I want to use a unsafe oB special with nitpicky spacing for an extra 8 damage. 

Edited by Pair of Rooks
38 minutes ago, Pair of Rooks said:

Stun Dipper's that one move that makes me go "why is this here?"   ...

EDIT: starter guide on youtube from ArcSys says it low profiles for long pokes and it combos from far S and also the tip of HS.  It knocksdown, setting up for oki.  But geez in a real match I'm not sure if I want to use a unsafe oB special with nitpicky spacing for an extra 8 damage. 

Shithead answer: because Ky has had Stun Dipper for forever. It'd be like Ryu showing up without Tatsu. However Ky did also lose Greed Sever in Strive so maybe his k-pop transition really shook him up.

Actual answer: if it does legit low profile something like Ram's swords I could see it being a rare way to shake up neutral. Ram specifically doesn't have a lot of lows she's going to be throwing out at that range (though she can switch to periodic 2S if you really lean into SD'ing) so if you fight someone who is really pokey (like me) I can see it working here and there. Definitely risky but then again so is an IAD jump in so I guess pick your poison eh?

Another thing moves like that can be good for is a "guaranteed RC" situation. When you're stocked you can throw it out and RC it regardless - on hit you'll get a combo (probably, due to the pop up but I'm not 100% sure what SD RRC can lead to) , on block you'll be safe, and even on whiff you can reset. You see this a lot with moves like Sol's Night Raid Vortex (VOHTEXU). You can also hit confirm if you need to RRC at all and since SD is 2 hits it gives you more leniency to save the meter.

Or maybe you shouldn't listen to me because I play Ram and don't know much past "f.S go burrrr, these sword fly good". 🤔

Edited by GetTheTables

Wanted to post this earlier but work got busy. Brain was melted yesterday so defaulted to labbing. Spent part of that time testing May stuff because, y'know. 

To assist me I created TubbBotV1.0: five recordings (nothing, twitch [2p], S Dolphin, H Dolphin, IAD j.H) played back with various crouching delay randomly. Some observations after spending a half hour or so with it:

• S Dolphin is fucking fast. Maybe its 'cause I'm old and tired, but it seems like one of those moves where once you mix it in with anything else you aren't going to be able to react to it. 
  • Upside is that it is cleanly negative so if you block it you can at least contest but you really need to be mindful of ranges and startups because May has primo buttons for where it'll leave her.
  • H Dolphin has a surprising amount of start up. That is offset by it being +oB (DustLoop data says +5 but really any + with May is enough for terrorizing) and it puts you in a real motherfucker of a situation. You do not want to block this if you can help it.
  • One way you can help it: H Dolphin at least has a surprising amount of hurtbox around it. Or maybe the travel time makes it easier to contest, I dunno. But it is notably easy to swat out of the air with 5/2P (which one is better probably varies by char, I found Ram's 2P more consistent due to reach). I was able to very consistently react to it from even very close ranges; if you get used to reacting to the dolphin you can catch it on start-up up close or time the swat from further out.
  • 6P also works of course but I found that if I was being honest with the situation (i.e. not just standing there waiting for it but crouching, shuffling around) the additional start up can be a bit of a killer. Also probably varies by individual character 6P.
  • S Dolphin is actually so fast that it almost OSes you blocking it instead of H Dolphin: I wasn't ever able to even get a button out before S Dolphin started up even when I was really focusing on swatting. 

So some things that I hope are helpful if you find yourself at Seaworld. Its not a huge punish but H Dolphin seems to lead to a bad enough situation that just avoiding it entirely is worth it. Also worth noting that I didn't try this with vertical Dolphins in the mix. Looking at the startup data I'm sure they'd conflate the issue but my main focus was seeing on what all you can do against the horizontal dolphins in the mid-range (say round start ish). Hopefully this is at least somewhat useful for anyone trying to figure out the match up.

EDIT: To clarify something I think one of the most important things you can do is recognize which dolphin is coming. Even if you don't check it, knowing which one is H and that it is + can maybe save us all from becoming a Twitter clip. 🙂

Also, a general vid:

Some neat tidbits in there I didn't know. I actually figured out the combo starter thing yesterday while doing Ram research (phrasing). I have to re-write a chunk of muscle memory already but the damage will be worth it.

Edited by GetTheTables
On 6/15/2021 at 1:19 AM, Pair of Rooks said:

What controller you using?

I ask because I am tired of trying DPs on this Xbox 360 analog stick so as a Father's day present to myself I ordered a Hori Fighting Commander or whatever it's called. 

Hopefully my Dragon Install inputs will actually start working. Ky in DI is fuuun.

Good old analog pad.

I don't usually have issues with QCx2 motions, but it's been a while since I last played something without ridiculous input leniency. I was low key struggling to do half-circles in +R too until I worked on that. 

It's really just a matter of working on it. Nothing else.

29 minutes ago, Volt said:

Good old analog pad.

I don't usually have issues with QCx2 motions, but it's been a while since I last played something without ridiculous input leniency. I was low key struggling to do half-circles in +R too until I worked on that. 

It's really just a matter of working on it. Nothing else.

In training mode I can do DI reliably with HCBx2 but not QCBx2.  So I'm dropping an input somewhere. The analog thumbstick is a circle gate so I don't know where my cardinals are. Also makes the super input tricky, as I'm not used to "climbing over the hill" to go from back to toward, while being unsure where back and toward even are. It just feels gross. 😅 

Anyway the new pad arrived today so I'm eager to lab. 

I really should've taken off work for the week. 😂

2 hours ago, BornWinner said:

Of all the people that would get people mad, I didn’t expect Strive Faust to be one of them. 

Anecdotal, but of all the characters I’ve fought so far, Faust is by far the one I struggled against the most. Everyone else (so far) I was able to figure out what was going on after a round or two and make adjustments. But Faust I was still completely lost after losing like 3 matches straight. He was my first “ok I gotta lab this” encounter. 

25 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Anecdotal, but of all the characters I’ve fought so far, Faust is by far the one I struggled against the most. Everyone else (so far) I was able to figure out what was going on after a round or two and make adjustments. But Faust I was still completely lost after losing like 3 matches straight. He was my first “ok I gotta lab this” encounter. 

Anything you want to talk about? I played a lot of Faust in both betas.

Just now, Vhozite said:

Bro wtf is this character doing. He’s flooding the screen with all this random shit...I can’t even tell you what he’s actually throwing at me. 

Faust’s thing is that he has move that will make him toss an item. What he throws out is random and both you and him have to keep track of what he throws out. The items are:

Spoiler

Doughnuts: Recovers a tiny bit of health.

Bananas: Recovers health like the doughnuts, but leaves a peel. The peel will trip you up if you are over it. It can even be a combo breaker at times. The peel can be blocked though.

Anvil: An item that will hit you at any point it’s active. If you are grounded when it hits the ground, it will trip you if you’re not blocking and stun you if you are. It can allow Faust to come in so the best thing to do is to avoid it by jumping.

Hammer: Like the hammer, it’s hit box is active the entire time it’s onscreen. When it hits the ground, it will bounce once so don’t go in immediately. Faust can also bat it towards you with his Dust attack.

Bomb: It stays on the ground until it explodes a few seconds later. It works like MvC3’s Viewtiful Joe Shocking Pink where both Faust and you can hit it at each other. Use jabs if you want to hit it back and have it backfire on Faust. Also be aware that a Faust can instead just come in. 

Meteors: One of Faust’s best items because it just gives him a chance to do whatever he wants and can’t backfire. It flies up for a second before it homes in on you. You’re just going to have to hold that.

Mini Faust: It will not attack and walk back mans forth until you can in contact with it, hit it, or Faust hits it with one of his bombs. If any of that does happen, you have to stop and block. Even if you have Faust in a combo by that point, it will save him and it will autocorrect to your position. 

Trumpet: Grab it before he does. It will give you neutral by calling an army of Mini Fausts. 

Afro: If either playing grabs one, it gives them an extended hurtbox. If you grab it, Faust will be able to do instant overheads on you. It will disappear shortly after it’s thrown.

Do note that throwing an item has recovery. I know you play Nagoriyuki so if he throws a practically harmless item (like a doughnut or Afro) right in front of you, you can come in with 214H and continue from there.

7 minutes ago, HeavensCloud said:

I like how one and doneing someone makes you look like a bitch in this game.  Fast exit out of the rematch screen then literally running away.  

I haven’t gotten any one and fines like that but I got a couple rage plug pulls tonight. One Sol and one Ky that had connection issues the instant they lost lol

5:30am can't sleep thinking about Strive.

Air combo finisher does about 60 - 65 damage, roughly the same as Ky's strongest DP but the DP usually whiffs there. Use the finisher. Or super.

Homework: Dragon Install trigger does only 40 and retards meter gain thereafter. Wall breaks though, giving Positive bonus; is the bonus affected? Also try the DP loops.

Homework: dash xx neutral jump HS: crossup? 

Homework: crossover during charged fireball. L/R mix?

I hope I find something soon. Like seriously you can just downback this man's whole kit.

Homework: how viable is going for Risc buildup? 

Homework: DI adds ~20 dmg, SS adds 10% to sword specials, wallbreak +B adds 10% to all attacks ... does it stack?

My first match at floor 7 was a mirror match. Fortunately the guy thought Stun Dipper was a good move. 🙄

4 hours ago, KingTubb said:

could you safe jump that?

or would a DP work? 

You could only jump out of it if it does not hit meaty (not sure if it can or not yet)

a frame 1 invulnerable attack would work if timed right

edit: it doesn’t quite look like it hits meaty in these examples 

Edited by Mattatsu
On 6/9/2021 at 5:18 PM, JustBrowsing said:

Though I'm being eaten alive by a mate's Leo and picked to death by the same guy's Axl, I'm gonna keep on with  Ky. I figure as a long-time SF player that if I don't have to worry with (too much) character freakery, it'll help me learn the basic systems of Strive more quickly.

Also, as a GG newbie, fuck Leo and Axl - any tips welcome

Did you ever find some MU tips on Ky vs Axl and Leo?

24 minutes ago, Pair of Rooks said:

Did you ever find some MU tips on Ky vs Axl and Leo?

Not really, sorry, though I've got a better handle on his Axl. Leo's still a guessing game forever for me. 

This is probably very basic for you - this is the first GG game I've tried playing at length, but here are my scrubby ways to deal with him - specifically my mate's equally scrubby Axl.

Stun Dipper seems to be my most useful move - it seems to punish many of his Sickle Flash follow ups. I also tend to save my tension for RCs on Stun Dipper in case it's blocked. If I have the meter, I'll occasionally chuck it out in neutral and RC it if blocked - basically I just do all I can to corner him. If it is blocked and I RC out of it/he fails to punish, then it's Foudre Arc spam time to push more to the corner.

I also (try to) save Burst to keep Axl in the corner - I'll happily take the damage my friend's capable of doing mid-screen, but if I have him cornered and he lands a decent hit, I'll always Burst there. Foudre Arc spam also seems to really frustrate him in the corner - it's just then a matter of telling when he's pissed off with that, and will try to leap out, and hope my hail mary DP connects.

I've also long given up trying to punish his command grab - if I manage to jump and IAD towards afterwards, I just block and am happy enough getting a bit closer. I think his 6K beats all I can do in the air to try to start anything, at least from 3/4 screen or more. 

It's nothing I've sat down and labbed, and is probably only good vs. very new Axl players/my mate's particular Axl - this is just what's evolved through our many dozens of Ky/Axl games. Maybe there's be the odd thing there that'll give you food for thought, but I  wouldn't bet much on it.

Edited by JustBrowsing
26 minutes ago, Phantom_Miria said:

Fair.

She needs it.

How did that happen anyway? I know Chipp is made of wet paper, but surely not wet enough to die to a single super.

Ram’s Super doing massive damage in general

The extra damage from it being a counter

Chipp’s potato chip health

Gamma Blade can be hit and receive the same damage as Chipp, which doubles if both Gamma Blade and Chipp are hit are the same time

Guts not kicking in since Chipp was not low in health

All the ingredients needed to one shot a perfectly healthy Chipp.

Edited by BornWinner
24 minutes ago, JustBrowsing said:

@Pair of Rooksif it helps, just been talking to my friend, who says he'll be happy to fight sets as Axl whenever he can vs. you (and probably as Leo). Though remember we've each just started and will be a bit shite!

Sweet!  This is my first GG ever, and I didn't even get to beta test cause I'm on PC.  

Uh, no crossplay.  Is your friend on Steam?  If so... Sunday?  I'm west coast USA. 

So, I got the game and I'm labbing characters.

So far I've checked Ramlethal, Giovanna and May, which are the characters I'm interested as main. Ram because she got big mid-range pokes which is the style I like, Giovanna because she looks both cool and easy and I'm not used to how GG works, and May even though she wouldn't be a character I'm interested but she looks instinctively fun to use.

Oh my God, May is actually so dumb.

It's so easy to imagine running into someone new to fighting games and make him refund the game just by spamming fast dolphin it's actually frightening.

17 hours ago, Pair of Rooks said:

Homework: Dragon Install trigger does only 40 and retards meter gain thereafter. Wall breaks though, giving Positive bonus; is the bonus affected?

Yeah it's affected -- you get a whole lotta nothing.  It says your meter's filling up but it doesn't budge. At all. 

Also try the DP loops.

In Dragon Install, HS.DP allows a combo after. If you catch 'em jumping it's a bit easier to link a close standing S but my execution makes that unreliable for me. Getting a string of P is reliable. Getting a 5K into stuff is somewhere inbetween.   Since you can still get a link after HS.Vapor Thrust vs a grounded opponent then looping it is possible with sharp execution but a big penalty if you whiff the DP. However, maybe your grounded link combo can be long enough to hit-confirm, and in the corner, so the penalty for dropping it can be mitigated.

Homework: dash xx neutral jump HS: crossup? 

This works!!  Requires tight timing on the HS just as you're thinking about coming down from the top of the jump, and I'm only maybe 20% on it at best (in Training Mode no less) but it's a welcome addition to Ky's poor mixup game.  Seriously I'll take what I can get.

Homework: crossover during charged fireball. L/R mix?

Even with RC from full screen, Ky's too slow to catch up.   It's technically possible to do this with an air-fireball xx drift RC to the other side for a cute hit, but then you have like 30f of landing.  So, unsafe on hit.  😞  Might be a good (if expensive) way to take that last bit of health. 

EDIT: you just RC'ed you idiot, you're free to move!

Homework: how viable is going for Risc buildup? 

Any hit, even a jab, decreases Risc, and I see no reason why Ky of all characters would benefit any more than anyone else, and some reasons why other characters can max it out easier. 

Homework: DI adds ~20 dmg, SS adds 10% to sword specials, wallbreak +B adds 10% to all attacks ... does it stack?

Hell no.   DI's damage bonuses stack with positive bonus's +10% damage since DI's damage comes from an extra hit, but, DI attacks do not grant Shock State and do not take advantage of a Shock State that was placed just before DI trigger.   DI doesn't get meter from Positive Bonus either on top of making usual meter gain very sluggish.  WTF is Dragon Install for again?  More dangerous sound effects?  It seems all bark and no bite. 

Homework: j.Dust stalls your fall.  Obviously useful to throw off AAs.  But, it can also stall your rise, striking a grounded opponent high. Uses? 

Edited by Pair of Rooks

I found the use for Stun Dipper!

SD has 5f startup, tying with Ky's jab as the fastest attack in his kit.  Obviously this doesn't seem like a big deal since if you actually hit with it on those early frames you're going to die. But paired with long active frames, being low to the ground, double the reach of jab, and reaching further each frame: Stun Dipper is a juggle extender.  It'll connect when slower and/or stubbier normals and specials won't reach in time. 

Might also catch landings in neutral, such as vs Ram's and Nago's forward-reaching aerials that Ky can't AA from over there.  Lab time.

J.Dust, for many cast members, is true and totally disjoint. (Chipp's overhead also has some disjoint. Cheater.)  Neutral jump Dust should stuff pretty much any aerial in the game given enough time. Ky's is 13f startup, 5f active, so don't forward jump with it. Homework:  play with j.D

Homework:  high jump xx ??

(Thinking of you, @FlyingVe!)

Edited by Pair of Rooks