Stage Select

The Street Fighter VI Story Thread: Shadaloo Died so Luke Could Live!

9 hours ago, Daemos said:

It's his birthday!!!!! (It's the 17th in Japan)

QjlHp7k.jpg

RkOcfcp.jpg

Happy Birthday to the boss of bosses! THE KING OF KINGS! May the planet squirm and writhe in despair beneath your big black boots forever! 🥰

Today also G's birthday, maybe.

CAP'ARTWORK post this, but 12 hours after, deleted! O.o

Translate: 

"Notice to the people of Earth! Today is the birthday of "G", the president of the world~ (SHOEI) #Capcom Artwork #Street Fighter #G Birthday Festival"

spacer.png

2 hours ago, biachunli said:

Today also G's birthday, maybe.

CAP'ARTWORK post this, but 12 hours after, deleted! O.o

Translate: 

"Notice to the people of Earth! Today is the birthday of "G", the president of the world~ (SHOEI) #Capcom Artwork #Street Fighter #G Birthday Festival"

spacer.png

Well, Nakayama say that G's birthday is unknown, and CAP'ARTWORK apologized for wrong information. 🤷‍♀️ 

14 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

If you watch his style select videos he only focuses on the real world martial arts and how well those styles get translated in games. He will bring up other real world influences like spiritually when applicable.

And that's fine, even if considering what SF is should at least be explained to casual watcher that huge part of the lore is strictly related to anime/manga influences

But even considering that, if we stick with real world martial arts, he fully ignored

-the Judo component of Ansatsuken

-Ken's variant of Ansatsuken being essentially american karate/american kickboxing/american full contact, the kickboxing he mention is not "alien" element but straight reference to a variant of Karate, just like Kyokushin or Shotokan

-How Ansatsuken lore mirror some real life Kyokushin events (rivalry with MT thai fighters, tournament of '69)

-Manga inspirations that link directly to real life martial artists (Mas Oyama, Benny Urquidez)

While i don't agree with the theory, i liked the idea he had of involve Shorinji Kempo... if we want consider that the Hadoken is the most iconic and representative technique of Ansatsuken (and maximum expression of ki used to fight), we have to link it to Goku's Kamehameha

Lot of Goku's imagery comes from Shaolin Kung Fu, and Shorinji Kempo is born (relatively recently) essentially as a japanese version of Shaolin Kung Fu

So to some extent even if not same path there could be some common or at least similar roots thing going on

But here it gets tricky, i'm not sold on Shorinji Kempo being the source of Ansatsuken's internal energy pratices, Capcom itself seems wanting to hint it comes from elsewhere, from SF wiki

Gouken's third alternate costume is an outfit worn by the Yamabushi, who are Japanese mountain ascetic monks who followed the Shugendō doctrine.

From wikipedia, Shugendo doctrine is ancient, and some concepts should feel familiar

Shugendō evolved during the seventh century from an amalgamation of beliefs, philosophies, doctrines and ritual systems drawn from local folk-religious practices, Shinto mountain worship and Buddhism.[5][7] The seventh-century ascetic and mystic En no Gyōja is widely considered as the patriarch of Shugendō, having first organized Shugendō as a doctrine. Shugendō literally means "the path of training and testing" or "the way to spiritual power through discipline."[8][9] Shugendō practitioners are also said to be descendants of the Kōya Hijiri monks of the eighth and ninth centuries.[10]

So we have Gouken linked by Capcom to a centuries old japanese doctrine, that predates by huge margin Shorinji Kempo creation, wich happened after WW2

Now would add that while is hard to apply real world dates to SF world, Ansastuken seems more ancient than WW2... even just going by the fact young Goutetsu likely learned it before and was never credited as Ansatsuken creator, just as the current Master during Gouken and Akuma's youth days

On 4/17/2023 at 2:53 AM, CESTUS III said:

Hadoken -> Kamehame (Dragon Ball)

MCU Thor's durability runs a Kamehameha gauntlet - Battles - Comic Vine

The move itself is obviously the Kamehameha, but the name comes from Space Battleship Yamato's Wave Motion Cannon (波動砲 Hadōhō). They simply replaced 砲 (cannon) with 拳 ken (punch).

Tatsu -> Noideawhatthisshitiscalled (Hokuto no Ken)

Kenshiro Zapatino GIF - Kenshiro Zapatino Kicks - Discover & Share GIFs

Before HNK, there was the manga Otokogumi ("Male class", but also "clan" as in MAFIA clan), by Tetsu Kariya and Ryōichi Ikegami. It ran from 1974 to 1979 and it was the first manga to deal with juvenile delinquents who fought each other in the school (neither Otokojuku nor Rival Schools could exist without it, to be clear). Protagonist Zenjirō Nagare is a Tàijíquán champ and is charged with parricide and sent to a school ruled with an iron fist by the rich and tyrannical student Gōji Jinryū, and tasked with the mission of ending Gōji's reign. Zenjirō always fights without removing his handcuffs (where did I see something similar... I can't remember well... 🤔), meets various martial arts experts¹ and the conflict escalates nationwide (gotta love mangas' exaggerations). Long story short, anyway, the first special move Zenjirō creates is... the 旋風脚 senpūkyaku.

Senpukyaku.jpg

The inclination of Nagare's leg is more similar to FF's GUY's version of the move, but the name is there. Remember that in SF1 Ryu and Ken kept the leg more downward, kinda like HNK's Shū did with his 円環斬襲脚 Enkan Zanshūkyaku ("circling beheading assault kick"), which Kenshirō later copied. Even the initial slow ascension is similar...

enkanzansyuukyaku_anime02.gif

Ken signature rolling "kick throw" come straight out an old judo manga iirc, pretty sure remember @Miðgarðsormmade a cool post about it in the past

Ikki Kajiwara's Jūdō Icchokusen (1967-1971). Which also provided Abel with his supers and ultras. You remember well, but the Youtube video with all the cool moves from the live action series of it is sadly gone... 😑

Anyway, I am writing also a long answer to@Shakunetsubecause, as @Lord_Vegasaid, Yasuda answered that at the time Thailand had the best martial art in the world... But he also admitted he was influenced by a manga for that. Of course he was. But WHAT manga? Prepare to know!

Also, hello @biachunli  ! Nice to see you here!

¹ Among them, the first ever Bājíquán master depicted in a manga, courtesy of the martial arts consultant Ryūchi Matsuda, who authored the immensely influential kung-fu manga Kenji (1988 - 1992), which inspired most of the Chinese characters everyone of us has seen in a fighting game. It obviously warrants an article (more than one, I fear...) just about it. You wouldn't believe the amount of things every fighting game directly copied from it... And not only fighting games: even Shenmue or Fate wouldn't have existed (or would've been much different) without Kenji.

Edited by Miðgarðsorm

Awesome post as usual dude 😄

10 hours ago, Miðgarðsorm said:

Remember that in SF1 Ryu and Ken kept the leg more downward, kinda like HNK's Shū did with his 円環斬襲脚 Enkan Zanshūkyaku ("circling beheading assault kick"), which Kenshirō later copied. Even the initial slow ascension is similar...

I think to remember Cody's FF1 360 kick had different origins (Benny Urquidez sbk?), but that Shu kick remind it a lot too for how he bend the not-kicking leg (beside the crazy spinning of course lol) and the fact unlike tatsumaki the move stay on the spot

cody-finalfight1-special-kick.gifenkanzansyuukyaku_anime02.gif

Btw would be cool some day make a list of all SF moves coming from HnK world, list will be probably long lol

15 minutes ago, Daemos said:

New Fei Long action figure being promoted by SF twitter. Confirmed for DLC me thinks!

Damn Sagat and Fei Long part of the first DLC wave after the 4 we know would be to me great sign SF6 have the heart at the right place

Plus Nakayama saying he likes Laura

Despite Akuma crap, i want to believe in a better world

https://i.ibb.co/wJ9wHGB/SF6-sec-slots.jpg

And no, i don't have any hope for Abel

Just hoping Capcom will not make us wait years to use Created Characters in local VS/Arcade mode

A mix of Luke, Marisa, Manon and Honda will do the trick

1 hour ago, Daemos said:

New Fei Long action figure being promoted by SF twitter. Confirmed for DLC me thinks!

Not neccessarily. Jada Toy's plan is to make the USFII cast first to continue from there, and putting Feilong in their first wave of figures was a way to sprinkle the second-line characters along the Ryu-ChunLi-Ken-Akuma-Bison-Guile-Cammy progression. They probably don't even know who the dlc characters are.

It's also a character that showcases the very, very impressive articulation these figures have for their price.

Edited by mikros
34 minutes ago, mikros said:

Not neccessarily. Jada Toy's plan is to make the USFII cast first to continue from there, and putting Feilong in their first wave of figures was a way to sprinkle the second-line characters along the Ryu-ChunLi-Ken-Akuma-Bison-Guile-Cammy progression. They probably don't even know who the dlc characters are.

It's also a character that showcases the very, very impressive articulation these figures have for their price.

Hey you, stop killing my careless optimism for a better not-happening world

3 hours ago, mikros said:

I have a long standing perspective on this which is that any merchandise containing Street Fighter characters in the year before the arrival of an SF game and during it's lifecycle is in the service of said game. Meaning they will likely only license out characters that will cross market their game or characters they want to test out to see if there is appeal to add to their current game.

So any character appearing in any other games or merchandise right now is likely a candidate to be added, or they have already decided to add them and this is a harbinger for things to come in future seasons.

58 minutes ago, Daemos said:

I have a long standing perspective on this which is that any merchandise containing Street Fighter characters in the year before the arrival of an SF game and during it's lifecycle is in the service of said game.

That's perfectly sensible, but I remember a BornFree video suggesting that was the case with these items re SF5. It's not a negative from me though, I'd like to see Fei back too, but personally am tempering expectations 😞

Edit: Wait, those linked above are some links from DeviantArt. Never trust EH. Anyhow, BornFree did make a video about some Oro merch, I'm sure!

Found the bugger: 

But he was on the money with Alex!

Edited by JustBooming

So I've recently decided to dive back into the Alpha 3 story again. Not the main portion, but the unexplained part (Akuma, Gen, Guy, and Bison's connection to them) within the plot. 

Though their actual stories are all straightforward, how they connect with each other is what's interesting.

Bison doesn't know any of them, but his presence connects them.

Akuma:

4h9VIHT.png

Guy is there to stop Akuma from encountering Bison for some unexplained reason. He says "It's the will of the Bushin", but that doesn't really tell us much. Perhaps a potential clash between them could bring consequences. I'm not sure. This is the fight before Akuma meets up with Bison.

Guy:

JaKhhqq.png

rquoE6W.png

msmi8Va.png

Iz8y1c5.png

8nsd50n.png

Gen notices that Guy is tracking Bison and believes his actions will indirectly impact his opportunity to fight Akuma. As we can see, Gen doesn't give a damn about Bison's fate, but is perfectly willing to kill Guy so his plans won't be ruined. This is something I never quite understood. 

Bison is the central figure in Alpha 3, so everything connects to him. Guy started going after Bison because of the threat he presented to the world.

Gen:

DsifCoM.png

We see him confronting Akuma after the fight with Bison.

Looking at everything together:

Gen doesn't really think much of Bison, but he probably believed his Psycho Power was capable of at least drawing Akuma out. Gen is on borrowed time, so every second counts. This would make Bison the key to locating Akuma.

If Bison succeeds in drawing out Akuma, Gen will have a chance at fighting Akuma again. If Akuma defeats Bison, of course.

If Guy succeeds at defeating Bison, Akuma will probably remain in the shadows and never bother to show himself. This is probably why Gen is trying to stop Guy  altogether. The risk isn't worth it.

In Alpha 3, Akuma's SnH and Bison's Psycho Power clashing would probably be enough to alert Gen to the area. As we see in SF4, the combined Ki of Akuma and Gouken was enough to draw Gen towards them once they started fighting.

So Gen needed Bison's presence to track Akuma like a compass. Without it, he's on a blind path.

Bison makes note of Akuma's tremendous Ki in Alpha 1. Akuma makes note of Ryu's Ki when he momentarily taps into SnH in SF4. Oro comments on the incredible level of Ki Akuma possessed with the SnH in Third Strike. Knowing this, Akuma's SnH naturally gives off huge power. Since Gen couldn't find Akuma at all, I'm guessing he can conceal his aura. 

Kinda reminded me of Cell from DBZ. He couldn't find the Androids because they have no Ki, but he used Piccolo's burst of Ki  ('The only ones Piccolo could be using all of his power against are the Androids") to track them down. 

I don't believe any of them even encountered Bison in Alpha 3. I know this is hella random, but it was cool trying to put some things together to get a better understanding of the dialogue and its place in the plot. 

I don't believe any of them encountered Bison in the Alpha era either. The only connections between them:

1- Guy was probably the person that found Rose's body after Bison possessed her. This event takes place sometime in the Alpha era after the Aftermath showdown. Rose was likely in or near the base also trying to stop Bison. This makes this event fresh in Guy's mind hence why he kept an eye out for Rose in SF4.

2- Akuma never met or saw Bison at all. Bison did not even know that the SNH existed until he awakened it himself in Ryu by force at the end of Alpha/SF2. No one actually knows Akuma's existence which is why SIN never went searching for Akuma. Akuma can conceal himself like you said.

3- Gen doesn't care for Bison, but he has hung around Bison/Shadaloo because they seem to attract friends and foes of his. Like in SF4, he hung around just to keep Chun safe. In Alpha, we now know he probably was using the events to attract Akuma.

Now as to why Guy would want to stop Akuma from seeing Bison, I don't think it is because he wants to save Gen's life. Rather I think Guy senses that if Bison finds out about SNH, it will be a game changer and the odds of vanquishing his evil will become miserable.

10 hours ago, Doctrine_Dark said:

-cut-

Gen notices that Guy is tracking Bison and believes his actions will indirectly impact his opportunity to fight Akuma. As we can see, Gen doesn't give a damn about Bison's fate, but is perfectly willing to kill Guy so his plans won't be ruined. This is something I never quite understood. 

Bison is the central figure in Alpha 3, so everything connects to him. Guy started going after Bison because of the threat he presented to the world.

Gen:

DsifCoM.png

We see him confronting Akuma after the fight with Bison.

Looking at everything together:

Gen doesn't really think much of Bison, but he probably believed his Psycho Power was capable of at least drawing Akuma out. Gen is on borrowed time, so every second counts. This would make Bison the key to locating Akuma.

If Bison succeeds in drawing out Akuma, Gen will have a chance at fighting Akuma again. If Akuma defeats Bison, of course.

If Guy succeeds at defeating Bison, Akuma will probably remain in the shadows and never bother to show himself. This is probably why Gen is trying to stop Guy  altogether. The risk isn't worth it.

In Alpha 3, Akuma's SnH and Bison's Psycho Power clashing would probably be enough to alert Gen to the area. As we see in SF4, the combined Ki of Akuma and Gouken was enough to draw Gen towards them once they started fighting.

So Gen needed Bison's presence to track Akuma like a compass. Without it, he's on a blind path.

Bison makes note of Akuma's tremendous Ki in Alpha 1. Akuma makes note of Ryu's Ki when he momentarily taps into SnH in SF4. Oro comments on the incredible level of Ki Akuma possessed with the SnH in Third Strike. Knowing this, Akuma's SnH naturally gives off huge power. Since Gen couldn't find Akuma at all, I'm guessing he can conceal his aura. 

Kinda reminded me of Cell from DBZ. He couldn't find the Androids because they have no Ki, but he used Piccolo's burst of Ki  ('The only ones Piccolo could be using all of his power against are the Androids") to track them down. 

I don't believe any of them even encountered Bison in Alpha 3. I know this is hella random, but it was cool trying to put some things together to get a better understanding of the dialogue and its place in the plot. 

Good post

Never considered the fact in SF4 Gen was in the area because he was lured in by Akuma's and Gouken combined ki, but would make totally sense under anime/manga perspective

My 2cent is Gen believe Akuma would not only win but also make short work of Bison, because if he believed Bison could defeat/kill Akuma or even just weaken him he would be in favor of prevent that fight from happening, as it would ruin his duel with Akuma

Edited by CESTUS III

@CESTUS IIII had got the idea from his SF4 ending.

4tlBtig.gif

Gen was stuck under some rubble with Chun-Li in what appears to be an SIN lab. He begins to get a visual of Akuma and Gouken flaring their auras. In his Super SF4 ending, he talks about the battle he witnessed between them.

I also agree that Gen was expecting Akuma to win without much trouble. 

The dialogue between Bison and Akuma is pretty cool. Bison says he won't lose to Akuma as long as the Psycho Drive exists. Akuma scolds Bison for not "relying on his own fists" and tells him to die in shame.

After Bison offers to fulfill Gen's desire (kill him in a fight to the death), Gen just says he'll carve his Bison's anguish into his fist.

When you look at the way Akuma and Gen address Bison, they seem to regard him as nothing more than  a minor annoyance.

On 4/19/2023 at 1:18 AM, mikros said:

Agree been following their progress hopefully they'll go Alpha/Zero next set, i been following and posting that in their Social Media

SHF did awfully wrong, and storms invested too much on SF5 along with Alts, missed opportunity as the hype and trends on the SFV line didn't last long and unrealistic expectation of competing SF5 line.

Edited by Shakunetsu
8 hours ago, Doctrine_Dark said:

When you look at the way Akuma and Gen address Bison, they seem to regard him as nothing more than  a minor annoyance.

I think it's because Gen & Akuma are both old school in their view of martial arts and mastery. They view it as internalized and personal. Bison does not. Bison sees mastery as extending to the external where power is wielded and utilized externally for the realization of the self as much as it is done internally. Akuma & Gen reject things like science and super-science where-as Bison embraces that, seeing all forms of strengthening himself as legitimate.

I could argue that this limits Gen & Akuma in some ways at least as far as understanding the kinds of power other people can wield. Indeed, we see that Akuma is VERY limited in his worldview via his brother who has surpassed him while having NO desire to dominate others or, indeed, even to prove his strength. Gouken is at peace with himself and the universe...Akuma is in a constant state of contention with himself. The former is more powerful than the latter (even if the latter can still reach great heights). For Bison, he is not 'limited' by ANY moral constraints including the trappings of 'honor' tied up in utilizing outside forces to empower himself. Bison sees it ALL as his power. If he fosters misery & pain in the world and uses it to amplify his own strength with HIS science that he has brought into being through his own will? That is valid to Bison while being alien (and abhorrent) to Gen & Akuma.

Gen & Akuma are martial artists. They see themselves as the weapon to forge.

Bison is a WARRIOR...he sees all power as a sword for him to wield, including his own.

Gen & Akuma forge skill & the body.

Bison is concerned only with his WILL.

TLDR

Gen & Akuma are scrubs stuck in scrub mindset and Bison plays to win (j/k...or maybe not 😛 )

4 hours ago, Doctrine_Dark said:

Gen was stuck under some rubble with Chun-Li in what appears to be an SIN lab. He begins to get a visual of Akuma and Gouken flaring their auras. In his Super SF4 ending, he talks about the battle he witnessed between them.

Now that i think about it even if not canon, SF4 is'nt even the first time for a SF game to have this kind of situation, iirc somebody in SFEX series was lured in by the energy of two powerful fighters clashing

The dialogue between Bison and Akuma is pretty cool. Bison says he won't lose to Akuma as long as the Psycho Drive exists.

Fun random detail, this is also kinda how Bison works in SFDuel... as long there's some other member of the team alive, Bison can't die

Felt random af ability, but now that you made me think about it seems to use team partners as Psycho Drive

Akuma scolds Bison for not "relying on his own fists" and tells him to die in shame.

After Bison offers to fulfill Gen's desire (kill him in a fight to the death), Gen just says he'll carve his Bison's anguish into his fist.

I think it's all about the usual old SF debate where pure martial artists shit on Bison for using technology to cheat

I don't think they don't recognize Bison having destructive power, is that they don't respect/find any value in it

1 minute ago, Hawkingbird said:

I imagine how @Chun-Li_Foreversqueal with glee when Li-fen said she will be the avatar big sister if they were to enroll in Chun's school.

Let's not forget that I get to gift Chun-Li chocolate as well, strengthen my bond with her, call her when I need her, and just hang at Chinatown 24/7 if I so wish!

Interesting thought though, Li-Fen refers to Chun-Li as "Jiejie" or big sister, rather than a "mom". Maybe Capcom's way of keeping her young, while not being young.

Also what may scare me a bit, you have the option to fight Li-Fen in WT mode... good god. People are gonna be Shoryukening a little girl.

13 minutes ago, bakfromon said:

So Akuma is either fully in Shin mode or he’s just that old now to be sporting a full face of white hair…Yea he’s probably around Gens age by now in the series he’s old 👴🏼

I think a bit of both. He's getting closer and closer to his Oni fate (who has white hair) and he is older.

12 minutes ago, Chun-Li_Forever said:

Let's not forget that I get to gift Chun-Li chocolate as well, strengthen my bond with her, call her when I need her, and just hang at Chinatown 24/7 if I so wish!

Interesting thought though, Li-Fen refers to Chun-Li as "Jiejie" or big sister, rather than a "mom". Maybe Capcom's way of keeping her young, while not being young.

Also what may scare me a bit, you have the option to fight Li-Fen in WT mode... good god. People are gonna be Shoryukening a little girl.

Chun strikes as someone who is sensitive about her age. I will not be surprised if jiejie is what Chun insisted on. If her weight is a closely guarded secret her age definitely will be

We don't know if the tournament is happening in SF6's present IIRC. It seems that it may have happened in SF6's immediate past which is when Ken fell from grace. World Tour could be taking place in the aftermath of the Nayshall event. (I hope we do get the tournament though)

Anyway, she's up to no good there. I can feel it!