Stage Select

The One Piece Thread: Gear 4th!!!

15 hours ago, Wellman said:

If the current time restriction he has on Gear 5 gets written out, I can't see anyone being on Luffy's level of busted.

I'd guess that a sufficient level of Haki could still counter Gear 5 wackiness, kind of similar to how it doesn't care about logia abilities.

There's probably some devil fruit abilities that Gear 5 wouldn't protect against too.  Being a cartoon man probably wouldn't protect you from Boa Hancock, for example.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't think it was possible but Oda has finally made a villain I hate more than Akainu...

Spoiler

Garling and his celestial dragon ilk are the most reprehensible scum imaginable. Oda has really really hammered in just how evil and selfish these bastards are. Using humans as game, and even manipulating them to try to survive until the end by falsely giving them hope. The worst part is, we can assume this "game" has been going on for centuries! Centuries of slaves and human sacrifices under everyone's noses!

Kuma's backstory is especially tragic, especially his father's sudden death. We now know why Bonney is acting so impulsively but it seems the WG gave her a lot of leeway, with even St. Saturn not explicitly ordering her death until she became an annoyance. The Gorosei's hatred of the Buccaneer race seems to be tied to their knowledge of Nika, but it may be that Joyboy himself was a Buccaneer. This would explain the giant straw hat and their race's cheery disposition. 

The God Valley tease was a bit painful, I'm not going to lie, but now I know why Roger and Garp teamed up... Garp was likely horrified to find out that these games existed and actually rescued the commonfolk. It was likely Garp's "war value" that kept him still in good standing afterwards. 

It was cool to see Captain John in the flesh, I loved his devil-may-care attitude in Thriller Bark  (despite it being someone else's shadow) and thought the real guy would probably be similar. I wonder what his abilities were? Xebec seems to have the D/ Luffyisms down pat based on Blancobeard's annoyance with his blasé attitude. Unsurprisingly Newgate seems like the de facto First Mate of this ragtag crew.

It was nice seeing how much of a dominant role Ivankov took early on and his general intellect, I wish we would've saw his first interaction with Dragon, but I guess this isn't the incident that started Dragon on his path. 

Seems like we're going to get to Bonney's origin story next week, Ginny is going to have something tragic happen to her I'm sure. *sigh*

Something I've been pondering regarding St. Jaygarcia Saturn and the other Gorosei...

Spoiler

I'm starting to get the strong impression that their abilities might transcend the standard model of Devil Fruits. If Zoan devil fruits have a will of their own, what if these are just the pure manifestations of their existence rather than the Gorosei just being men who ate the fruit? The pentagram teleportation and eye beams aren't anything in the lore for Saturn's demon historically, and the presence everyone on that island felt when Jaygarcia arrived felt unlike anything we've seen before. As if otherworldly. Basically, they're the pure aspects of these "devils" rather than being mere users like what we've seen prior. 

Which lead me to Voidbeard. What if Xebec (the presumed previous wielder of the Yami Yami no Mi) has perpetuated his existence/will through Teach and the Yami Yami no mi is also a mythical Zoan unrealized, similar to Luffy's Nika Nika no mi? This might explain why their fates are intertwined despite having different internal motivations.

Edited by *.:White ShadoW:.*
  • 2 weeks later...

Happy Thanksgiving everyone in the US or who just wants to celebrate.

New chapter 

https://tcbscans.com/chapters/7554/one-piece-chapter-1099?date=23-11-2023-12

Spoiler

Of course the Pacifistas creation would also be tragically warped somehow. Why was this even a surprise to me as I read it given who we know Kuma and Vegapunk are.

On a lighter note, anyone else think the Queen Dowager bit that got Bonney into Reverie actually just setting up the various gags this chapter of Bonney and her being mistaken for each other this chapter?

Edited by Wellman
18 hours ago, Sacr3D said:

Please Oda stop. He suffered enough.

Even his wise actions leads to suffering, truly a saint...

Spoiler

The Wellest of Men  made a good point, I think her masquerading as the former, former  queen is what allowed Bonney to infiltrate the Reverie. I'm actually surprised Oda didn't use her Age Age fruit ability as a way to "reverse" the disease, but narratively it now makes sense why Vegapunk has a bond with her and why Kuma sacrificed himself. It would be awesome if Kuma can get his consciousness/ memories back before his inevitable you know...

On 12/7/2023 at 5:10 PM, Reticently said:

https://tcbscans.com/chapters/7565/one-piece-chapter-1101

Hide contents

Does Bonney basically have the most powerful DF then?

Please Oda staaaawwwp, this is too painful...

Spoiler

Even if Bonney now has received Kuma's letters via his memory paw bubble she will never experience their warmth the same way, nor will she ever see the real Kuma again, barring some Nika-level hax/ plot miracle. That's immensely saddening, Alpha is a completely heartless sociopath, that punch was too satisfying...

Reticently, I think her DF ability is potentially  overpowered, especially since it's apparently not awakened. She has the ability to envision a future and make it come true, which is very much in line with Luffy's awakened Zoan. Perhaps she can even touch her papa Kuma and envision how he was, or could be in a "better future" bringing him back to his old self.

But first they'll have to deal witha true Devil aka St. Sa-turd, a man who couldn't even hold his side of the bargain— a basic agreement at that. I was hoping he'd at least have that as his redeemable quality but he's complete scum. I'm seriously hoping Kizaru will have a change of heart and his  "Unclear Justice" will finally take a real side.

Last but not least, I wonder if Kuma was watching over Luffy as a substitute for Bonney, or does he suspect that Luffy could be Nika/ Joyboy reborn? 

And does anyone else think it would've been cool if Oda reverted to his old lanky, no muscle definition style Luffy design he had pre-timeskip this chapter? It felt kind of weird seeing buff post-Marineford Luffy before Romance Dawn tbh...

I hope we have one more chapter before the year's through, don't forsake us KAMI!!! 

Spoiler

I wonder if during the process to cure her, Dr. Vegapunk didn't add in some of Kuma's genes/lineage factor making Bonny actually  carrying his legacy as a Buccaneer forward. The ability to control aging of yourself and others shouldn't give her that sort of ability unless she somehow is just capable of controlling genes of herself and others which would make her ability as broken as Law's.

On 12/11/2023 at 7:25 PM, Wellman said:
  Hide contents

I wonder if during the process to cure her, Dr. Vegapunk didn't add in some of Kuma's genes/lineage factor making Bonny actually  carrying his legacy as a Buccaneer forward. The ability to control aging of yourself and others shouldn't give her that sort of ability unless she somehow is just capable of controlling genes of herself and others which would make her ability as broken as Law's.

A cool idea, but then if it was Vegaounk's gene manipulation it wouldn't explain how she can use moves like "Oil Shock" which can age objects to the point of corrosion and her "Distorted Future"  attack gave Luffy his "bad future" appearance we saw in the SBS as opposed to his good future. Showing more of a time manipulation than it being a gene therapy thing. Not saying you can't be right down the line and Vegapunk made some tweaks, but I think the evidence more points to her imagination than anything. 

5 minutes ago, Sacr3D said:
Spoiler

Isn't it Robin?

Spoiler

Nah- I could see why you could think that, but the "mulitple hands" thing looks like it's supposed to be Luffy's hands just moving really fast while he eats.  

If you look at the panel above that one (on the left), you can see Luffy is grabbing the food himself with thin, stretchy arms.

• 2 weeks later...

One Piece has had its share of irredeemable d-bags but Saturn just managed to earn his face on Mt.Shitmore. But now the reason why Akainu the merciless let Bonney go and why JayGarcia wasn't that eager to kill her initially.

As for Kuma, his legendary status is secured regardless of what happens henceforth. I know he doesn't have the strength left to win vs Saturd but I hope he makes him bleed.

One thing that interests me is if a portion of Bartholomew's memories were returned back to him, or it's just that his Haki as a father has drove him to save his daughter unconsciously, similar to how even an unconscious Luffy was projecting his wrath at Kaido and knocking his subordinates out with Haohshoku Haki?

Although Kizaru is the most logical culprit to be the one helping Luffy, I think it's more likely that he chose not to interfere when witness the person who helped. 

An overlooked point that was dropped is the fact that the original Devil Fruit was used to transfer its abilities to Bonney is now inactive, hinting that the recyclability of the DF is gone for good. This might be game changing, because unlike Vegapunk who transferred the essence of living users of currently active DF users, this is almost creating a one-off transfer which could lead to the fruit's extinction. This might've been the Gorosei's goal in ending "Dreams" or anything that can challenge their power. 

Which leads me to my final point. I was thinking that St. Saturd's ability to freeze his opponents in place was due to some inherent but advanced DF technique, but maybe this is a form of ancient science that he knew before the Void Century? The whole sapphire scale phenomenon is likely more than a disease but a side effect of some kind, one caused by manipulating the  Lineage Factor or the like?

• 2 weeks later...

New Chapter is Out!  https://tcb-scans.com/chapters/7594/one-piece-chapter-1104?date=18-1-2024-16

KAMI!!!!

Spoiler

The true "Fist of Love"  is here. Man that was so cathartic, my hatred for St. Saturd knows no bounds.  

Vegapunk is too pedantic and focused on logical outcomes, just like how he couldn't entirely wipe out the aggression from his cyber-creatures you can't erase the loving, protective nature from Bartholomew "Best Dad in Shonen" Kuma. Same way even a memory wipe won't stop Sanji from protecting women in distress. Dreams can't die!

What's also interesting is JayGarcia's regeneration, it's not anything we've seen a Zoan nor Logia do. He didn't just regenerate his arm but his clothing as well.  This feels like something else...

Kizaru either go  Swiss or be on the right side of history. Unclear Justice needs to stop!

Edited by *.:White ShadoW:.*