Stage Select

The One Piece Thread: Gear 4th!!!

As I mentioned in another thread at least they have the cast look like the character but it seems like it doesn't matter if the acting isn't up to par. Having said that a reimagine would give current fans a reason to watch as it's something different BUUUUUT I dislike most modern reimagined variants of shows/movies. Very picky with that. 

I think my stance is if the IP is already doing well what is the point of such a variant? The series isnt even over yet. 

Edited by TheInfernoman

Im hearing good things about the live action elsewhere, total opposite of here. lmao

From the casting choices and set designs I've seen they've gotten damn close as can be. Im ready to give it a shot. I was totally against it at first, I hear its fairly faithful to the source material tho

9 hours ago, HD-Man said:

Im hearing good things about the live action elsewhere, total opposite of here. lmao

From the casting choices and set designs I've seen they've gotten damn close as can be. Im ready to give it a shot. I was totally against it at first, I hear its fairly faithful to the source material tho

Its really surprising how faithful it is for better or worse.  And I also thought for sure that critics were going to hate it but...

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/one_piece_2023/s01

Edit:  They actually handled Baratie pretty well.  Some changes made here and there but they actually went closer to the Manga for Zeff which I didn't think they'd do.

Edited by Sonichuman
On 9/1/2023 at 12:14 PM, Sonichuman said:

If you do please let me know what you think.

Managed to get the first episode in last night of the live action adaptation. It was good. As mentioned I had lowered expectations going in but I think it was good. 

Some of the actors they got were not great in capturing the cool of their source material, mostly looking at Shanks with the hair/wig, but they had a good pacing for the events and the actor playing Luffy is really good.

47 minutes ago, Wellman said:

Managed to get the first episode in last night of the live action adaptation. It was good. As mentioned I had lowered expectations going in but I think it was good. 

Some of the actors they got were not great in capturing the cool of their source material, mostly looking at Shanks with the hair/wig, but they had a good pacing for the events and the actor playing Luffy is really good.

The first episode is probably the most straight forward in terms of adaptation.  The arcs are still fairly faithful afterward with either missing characters, characters who were not there originally, or there a slight scenic change for where conflicts take place.  Luffy's actor is the cringiest but the thing is...it comes with the territory of playing a character like him.  I think the standouts were Zoro, Sanji, and Mihawk. 

I still will continue to have no interest in live action OP but I will admit I was wrong. The string of bombs live action anime has had just seemed like it won't stop. The biggest difference I have seen is not just Oda being involved but it's the passion everyone has. If nothing else that makes a big difference VS the controversy other projects had. Some of the story choices are different and strange but it is what it is. 

Watched the first episode finally. I did not hate it.....they really nailed Zoro and Colby. Luffy is aight. Im honestly impressed with how well they translated it to live action cuz by all means it shouldn't work at all. 

No way they'll ever get as far as the manga, the actors might all be senior citizens by then. Water 7 seems like a good end point if they get that far

Yeah, the dude they got to play Captain Kuro carried tf outta the first few episodes. The live action version kind of made him a horror villain in the best ways. I'd argue he's more interesting than the manga/anime version

Spoiler

I do dislike how they kind of reveal his secret identity fairly early, literally in the same episode. Wish they'd stretched that twist out a bit longer without kind of also making it obvious he's a bad guy

Edited by HD-Man

Aw dang...

Spoiler

Not Kuma, probably the greatest driver of plot for the Mugiwaras in the entire series...

Look How They Massacred My Boy Meme GIF - Look How They ...

Damn Akainu! Absolute justice doesn't hesitate.

Luckily he's a cyborg now, but I wonder if the some Lineage Factor will is still driving him despite his lost memories? 

Luffy going through that energy barrier twice clearly shows the durability of G5 toon force powers. It's interesting that Kizaru could hardly react to Luffy's grab, as unlike before he seems to be taking him seriously.

But most importantly. The Robot awakening to the drum heartbeat! Sun God, The Eternal Flame, and the Lunarians are clearly all connected here. This robot is likely powered by such a thing, and it's probably something similar that activated it many years ago. Memories of the past.

No break next week, thank you kami!!!:marvelous:

Edited by *.:White ShadoW:.*
20 hours ago, RegH81 said:

I started to watch the anime of One Piece. Then I realized how many episodes that actually is.

Scared Homer Simpson GIF by reactionseditor

I honestly get flack for this take... but skip around. Not every episode is needed and you can read summaries or watch recaps going over stuff. If you feel compelled to watch more do so. Between Crunchyroll, Netflix and even the free 24 hour One Piece (sub) channel on Pluto TV, you got options. 

20 hours ago, RegH81 said:

I started to watch the anime of One Piece. Then I realized how many episodes that actually is.

Scared Homer Simpson GIF by reactionseditor

7 minutes ago, Wellman said:

I honestly get flack for this take... but skip around. Not every episode is needed and you can read summaries or watch recaps going over stuff. If you feel compelled to watch more do so. Between Crunchyroll, Netflix and even the free 24 hour One Piece (sub) channel on Pluto TV, you got options. 

I also have to keep telling people who keep using the amount of episodes to gate keep themselves out that they don't have to binge the show.  Just watch it casually like a normal show and don't feel the pressure that "YOU GOTTA CATCH UP".  Binge culture really has ruined a lot of people on stuff like this.  You can just watch the show at your own pace, let the show naturally sink its hooks into you and if you feel like you want to watch a bunch of episodes at one time because you GOTTA know what happens next then cool just let it happen naturally.  Don't feel obligated to get to the latest stuff just enjoy the journey that you're on currently.

4 hours ago, Reticently said:

Bonnie might not be able to hang on a raw power level,   Pulling off some John Woo/Lara Croft/Neo in the Matrix shit level gun-fu, then landing that hit at the end-  that's a lot of shine for a relatively minor character.

She is a Supernova, can't be too soft and get your bounty that high before even seeing the New World.

Great chapter. This arc is probably going to be one of my top favorites in the end, so much crazy good development being dropped.

On 10/5/2023 at 5:21 AM, TheInfernoman said:

Wow what a chapter! 

Hide contents

The Gorosei really do have some insane powers. Do the other have some kind of alt "demon" form? Or maybe better to say devil form? Also mad respect for Bonnie just jumping in no hesitation. Girls got a ovaries of steel. 

What a chapter indeed! Also I need to catch up on my Japanese mythology...

Spoiler

Thumbnail

Someone posted this in the comments and it seems to be very much on point. The Ushi-Oni is definitely St. JayGarcia's Zoan devil fruit and all these monsters represent the underworld and thus the rest of the Gorosei. Which coincides with the Yami Yami no Mi's origins and also gives us a strong hint as to Imu's DEVIL fruit ability.

Ushi-Oni can spit poison, fly, and shapeshift. The crazy part is that how JayGarcia's could also teleport with that pentagram seal that was also emitting conquerors haki. This is unlike anything we've seen before and likely a trait they can all share. These mythical Zoans might transcend our previous notions of how Devil Fruits operate entirely and may rival the absurdity of the Nika Nika no Mi. 

Back to the story. St. Jaygarcia and Akainu showing a lot of mercy to Jewellery Bonney is not a coincidence. There was no reason why Akainu allowed her to escape when DAWKNESSbeard had her captured way back. She must be of some value to the World Government that goes beyond simply being Kuma's daughter.

Luffy's Gear 5 also has a timer, which sucks but at least makes sense, because he must be consuming an ungodly amount of Haki/ stamina. That said he was capable of maintaining his form vs Kaido when he looked on the verge of death. I'm curious if there's a bigger price to be paid than just becoming emaciated. I hope he at least incapacitated Kizaru because I don't think Zoro, Sanji, and Jinbei are enough to handle a Gorosei, an Admiral, and soon an entire squad of Pacifistas.

Lastly, Shanks must be a real boss G to be granted an audience with these Gorosei monsters with the confidence that he could leave that room alive...

We eatin' good this week boys!

2 hours ago, Reticently said:

So I'm wondering if we're going to see Vegapunk give Luffy some sort of techno-senzu bean.  Because unless someone else is about to show up for the good guys, Oda is going to have to give Sanji a hell of a glow-up or I don't see them squeeking out of this.

Latent Lunarian genes activate!

But don't forget about the...

Spoiler

Drum Beat Activated ROBOT!

Im curious who will get that 

Spoiler

Honengyo devil fruit. That mfer is essentially Godzilla from the brief Google search I did on Japanese mythology. Seems it doesnt have any crazy abilities but im sure Oda will give whoever has the fruit something insane to make it extremely OP and im here for it