Stage Select

The King of Fighters: Official Series Thread

I just fucking hate the bitch because I had to learn her to get the true ending in KoF97, made me waste so many coins at the arcade just to see that glorious ending.

And yes Goenitz killed her sister so she had to give up her lifestyle, but her personality is pretty shaite regardless, you can enjoy motorcycles and still be a cunt.

Well, Arcades in italy also usually had NeoGeo stuff like KoF and hardly ever SF, but SF had the advantage of being on actual consoles people had bought, fuck PS1 had SFZero/Alpha (and EX if we wanna nitpick). KoF was on what? Dreamcast? I remember PS1 had '97 and '99 but the ports were horrible.

13 minutes ago, ZioSerpe said:

Well, Arcades in italy also usually had NeoGeo stuff like KoF and hardly ever SF, but SF had the advantage of being on actual consoles people had bought, fuck PS1 had SFZero/Alpha (and EX if we wanna nitpick). KoF was on what? Dreamcast? I remember PS1 had '97 and '99 but the ports were horrible.

KOF was on Saturn, PS1, and Neo Geo CD.  In America everyone was into SF so tbh it doesn't matter what consoles they were on.

Americans will never care about soccer and they will never care about KOF.  Sad but true. :cry:

3 hours ago, misterBee said:

KOF was on Saturn, PS1, and Neo Geo CD.  In America everyone was into SF so tbh it doesn't matter what consoles they were on.

Americans will never care about soccer and they will never care about KOF.  Sad but true. :cry:

Yet they'll still demand a Capcom Vs. SNK 3 or for SNK to finish the 2D Sprite-based Mark of The Wolves game that may or may-not exist and put it on Steam, PSN and Xbox Live...

12 hours ago, misterBee said:

Don't compare soccer to KOF. KOF is fun to watch and play. In my experience only the latter is true of soccer. Soccer is like baseball to me. It was fun to play, I respect the athleticism needed to excel at it, and boring as hell to watch for the most part.

@ZioSerpe Nothing wrong with my taste in woman. The beef is between you and Chizuru :grin:

Edited by Darc_Requiem
4 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Don't compare soccer to KOF. KOF is fun to watch and play. In my experience only the latter is true of soccer. Soccer is like baseball to me. It was fun to play, I respect the athleticism needed to excel at it, and boring as hell to watch for the most part.

@ZioSerpe Nothing wrong with my taste in woman. The beef is between you and Chizuru :grin:

The cosplayer you posted in an uggo

I've given up on XIV, I'm paying DLC for SFV and DBFZ already.

Of all the current fighting games I own KoF is the only one I never launch.

Gonna buy KoF '97 though since is only like 4$ with the discount coupon owners of XIV on steam got and is my favourite KoF story.

And, shit, I'll have to play Chizuru to unlock the sacred warrior ending.

Edited by ZioSerpe
3 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

Was up on PSN when I checked this morning. Same as the last batch: $6 per, $20 for the set.

I'll probably pick this up just to tip jar them to keep making fighting games. Plus if I ever move to Central America I'll be ready to go.

I plan on doing the same. I haven't played KOFXIV in ages. Even when I did play it was very briefly

5 minutes ago, Bea_Iank said:

I think I will finally bite and get it on steam this month, even though from what I played on a friend's PS4, it doesn't quite feel like a proper KOF.

But SNK is clearly desperate for money given that travesty that they are making, so I will give them my money.

Check your Steam account :wink:

2 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Been feeling down lately, doing things for others makes me happy. I'm strange like that.

We are quite similar at that then.

Doing stuff for other people makes me feel happier as well.

Steam limiting Brazil gifting options to just Latam countries screwed me a bit in this regard.

But there will be payback for this! I crave REVENGE! So I will likely get DiasFox to draw something for you. :tongue:

13 minutes ago, Bea_Iank said:

We are quite similar at that then.

Doing stuff for other people makes me feel happier as well.

Steam limiting Brazil gifting options to just Latam countries screwed me a bit in this regard.

But there will be payback for this! I crave REVENGE! So I will likely get DiasFox to draw something for you. :tongue:

If you are that insistent. You can get him to draw one of my character concepts. I know you like Rose, so Lyra would probably be one you'd like to see.

Edit: Lyra is my concept for Rose's master.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
23 minutes ago, Bea_Iank said:

This KOF is only more KOF like than KOF 2k3.

It is fun, but damn, does it feel fucking wrong to play as a KOF.

Hit stun is fucked up, it is floaty, stuff feels off and all.

Can't even call it a Garou because Garou played better than this thing.

I LIKE KOF2003 OK

So, for the record is only 16$ (after money conversion) here in Taiwan, still not gonna buy this DLC batch, I already have my team set and none of these 4 would make in, and anyway I haven't even touched the game in a looooooooooooong time, which honestly is a shame but it does speak volume of how many good fighting games are there now that I left behind what has always been my favourite series.

Staying on SNK, have you been following the NIS america SNK heroines thing about PS4 and Switch?

28 minutes ago, ZioSerpe said:

So I was thinking, KoF XIII was very expensive to make, right? Why didn't they reuse the assets for XIV instead of going 3D? You paid 'em anyway, what's the point in trashing them after only 1 game?

Many classic characters weren't in KOFXIII.  They wanted to bring a lot of chars back for KOFXIV, but probably didn't have the budget to do it in 2D.

I think maintenance is the biggest issue. New or returning characters mean that you need to go back to the mines and get another character made - they weren't only expensive but really time consuming. Also if you ever want to change anything on a character you'll need to go back and futz with their animations which is probably still decently expensive and time consuming. Like if you wanted to bring back a move for a character or add a new one, that is going to be way harder with that intricate sprite work versus 3D models.

It also gave them (painful) experience building 2D game with 3D models. Getting experience with that helps them overall if they continue to make fighting games. They've definitely learned a lot from KOFXIV so if/when they ever decide to pull the trigger on another SamSho they have a head start. Whereas if they keep reusing KOFXII/XIII sprites then you end up with a super-fugmo SamSho reboot, as an example.

Been watching a bit more KOF XIV recently. For me they could still tune up the lighting/character models but I think it still looks pretty good. The biggest thing for me is the actual art style choice for the models. They sort of have the DOA doll vibe going on so it makes a lot of the chars look creepier/weirder to me.