Stage Select

The King of Fighters: Official Series Thread

So I was going through some things I had on my computer and found this. It was something I made for an old website (probably dead now) a friend had. Some of these sprites like Orochi Leona, Orochi himself and the 99-Striker Kyo were done by me while I recoloured a few others like Kula's and Another Iori's hair, Foxy's skin etc. I think the concept was to make some updated version of 2000 with the missing strikers from 99 added back in, and a few of the strikers switched around to fit certain characters. KOF 2000 is honestly one of my favoruites even with all the broken balance and glitches (that are only noticeable when playing against a human player anyways)

King-of-Fighters-2000.png

Wonder what would happen if we were to give everybody a Maniac Striker 😵

Edited by N-Tactix
6 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

How can Vanessa maintain her secret while competing in a public and highly televised tournament like KoF?

The same way Ryo doesn't notice King's crush. Everyone in KOF is either super smart and one step ahead or very dumb when the story calls for it. But if you want to be serious, her only "public" tournament was XI, the NESTS tournaments were private affairs and she didn't take part in the future ones.

Blue Mary was the same person who teamed up with a Yakuza mobster and Geese's right hand man only to be shocked when she discovered that Geese was the one calling the shots for her

Edited by N-Tactix
8 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

How can Vanessa maintain her secret while competing in a public and highly televised tournament like KoF?

It's one thing to know your chick knows boxing and dabbles in tournaments every now and then.

It's another to know she's a secret agent merc.

But then again... Team Secret Agent? Really? 🤣

Just watched the ending to confirm and nah. Ryo is still pretty dense. He was wondering why Yuri hadn’t shown up for dinner yet as if he was expecting her to join. I guess it was meant to be a congratulatory dinner for winning the tourney before Yuri, Robert, and Takuma went to do their own thing.

Poor King is surrounded by idiots.

Edited by BornWinner

Do any of you play KOF98? I'm pretty casual now but I still like the game, if anyone wants to get games off FC2 hit me up. I really only know one person that plays it now and I don't mind losing but I don't really even compete, I'd like to play a bunch of people maybe and clean up my play a bit.

11 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

I don't think Ryo is that dense. He did go out on a date with King in the AoF ending

That's just the way KOF handles most of the FF/AOF characters. Mai and Kim are  borderline psychos instead of a cheerful girl and a serious man respectively, Ryo is now some dense himbo when he originally called King pretty in AOF2 (King got flustered when he pointed that out), Kasumi is a  seething mess when she makes friends with Sakazakis at the end of AOF3. 

And it doesn't distract from KOF's story too badly because the focus is on the original characters, expect maybe the Fatal Fury team during NESTS. 

14 hours ago, BornWinner said:

Otherwise a lot of them would make no sense and be actively detrimental

Imagine calling yourself the "Hero Team", that would be pretentious

@YourFavGrandpaSeth, Maxima and Heidern can counter them and be the dilf team, though Maxima is more of a "big brother" and Whip can take his place. 

Edited by N-Tactix
1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

IIRC the KOF timeline isn't the same as the FF and AoF timelines

That is true. The AOF-FF-Buriki ONE-Garou timeline is its own thing. The AOF cast would be in their 40's by the time KOF94 rolls around and several changes have been made especially regarding Geese (he never fought Ryo and is still alive).

It's why they were hesitant on letting Rock join for so long because his entire thing is that he's the son of a dead crime lord.

If I had to guess, KOF plays it off that at least Fatal Fury 3 happened (Geese still being alive, Blue Mary and Yamazaki being around, Terry having met and adopted Rock with his ending in that game) and that Art of Fighting 2 happened (Yuri being a fighter, King being an ally as well as her crush, Takuma not wanting Yuri to fight and his disapproval of Robert dating her, Ryo having fought Geese, Kasumi hating the Sakazakis because AOF3 is largely ignored). 

38 minutes ago, N-Tactix said:

several changes have been made especially regarding Geese (he never fought Ryo and is still alive).

Their fight actually gets referenced in KOF 14 through a special intro…

image0.png
image1.png

… and a remix of Geese’s theme from AOF2 that only plays when you have Ryo vs Geese.

Now this brings up the question of when Geese could lose to both Ryo and Terry given their ages. Though I guess it can be ignored since the FF and AOF crew doesn’t get any focus and are there for fan service.

Just now, BornWinner said:

Now this brings up the question of when Geese could lose to both Ryo and Terry given their ages. Though I guess it can be ignored since the FF and AOF crew doesn’t get any focus and are there for fan service.

I forgot about the fateful battle thing from XIV. KOF itself was always a dream match anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, N-Tactix said:

Interesting thread on KOF: Kyo and basically the closest thing to a full plot synopsis in English. It misses out the other endings as well as the Daimon subplot, the latter of which is actually canon, considering it tells of how Daimon met his wife. 

Too bad SF2AM Game in PSX isn't like that

It had unique background characters too that wayback, I always wanted to appear as assist/striker in NEST saga of KOF

I'm still waiting for an english translation of this and also the Samurai Shodown RPG

Edited by Shakunetsu

Athena being in the Woman’s/Heroine’s team could be a reference to her replacing King in one of the Neo Geo Pocket KOF’s…

image0.jpg

and the multiple times Athena wished to join the team in the main series.

image2.png
image4.png

image3.png
image1.png

Edit: I forgot that you can pair Mai, Yuri, and Athena together to make the Orignal Heroines Team in KOF 98. Beating the game with that team gives you a special image.

Spoiler

image0.png

Edited by BornWinner
4 hours ago, Volt said:

Kensimp stans in absolute shambles right now. 🤣

I’m more worried for the Kasumi fans right now. It was so certain that the last member of the Woman’s team had to be someone unexpected because of how long they were taking to announce it. And then they got a huge PSYCHO BALL surprise instead.

2 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

I’m more worried for the Kasumi fans right now. It was so certain that the last member of the Woman’s team had to be someone unexpected because of how long they were taking to announce it. And then they got a huge PSYCHO BALL surprise instead.

I've played enough 98 to know the world does not need more Kasumi.

7 hours ago, Volt said:

Kensimp stans in absolute shambles right now. 🤣

Alternatively, they bring back Bao. That would really shatter expectations. I notice that there's alot of little throwbacks to 2000; Mainly the AOF team, Iori's outfit resembling his alt striker looks and now Athena going back to the Chinese inspired looks. I wonder if that's because since SNK returned back to their original name, they're acting XIV like a soft reset after what Ash did.

It's unlikely but I would like them to finally wrap up the Hizoku subplot that's been left hanging for 21 years now.