Stage Select

The King of Fighters: Official Series Thread

On 4/29/2021 at 4:56 PM, Darc_Requiem said:

Nah...he'll probably still end up looking like the kid that gets bullied at middle school."

The bullied kid that will snap and get somebody hospitalised by the end of the school year. 

Also:

https://br.ign.com/the-king-of-fighters-xv/89019/feature/kof-o-que-aguarda-kyo-e-iori-no-novo-jogo

It's the usual PR dodging questions about the game's details/plot but the illustrator Ogura has said that he personally considers Kyo and Iori to be evenly matched and yet not the strongest KOF fighters out there. 

Edited by N-Tactix

@Darc_Requiemthanks. 

Now that I think of it, XIII's development really did hinder the story they were going for. It seemed like Adelheid and Rose were going to play a more bigger role than before. 

Maybe if they went for the cheaper 3d route, they could have added in more characters and had a more expanded roster. I also wonder if they made Ash erase himself because he was so despised outside Japan and the scapegoat of any criticism people had during 2003-XI. Not that it matters because Ash is likely going to return for XV. 

Edited by N-Tactix

It's not even Yuri or the women having fiveheads aren't the worse offender for me. It's Ralf and Clark becoming bloated messes and Maxima being blonde in the earlier builds for me. 

Ash and Duo Lon are one of the few characters that work well in the XII sprite style. Speaking of Duo Lon, anyone find it weird that his plot of searching for Ron was just dropped randomly?

3 minutes ago, N-Tactix said:

It's not even Yuri or the women having fiveheads aren't the worse offender for me. It's Ralf and Clark becoming bloated messes and Maxima being blonde in the earlier builds for me. 

Ash and Duo Lon are one of the few characters that work well in the XII sprite style. Speaking of Duo Lon, anyone find it weird that his plot of searching for Ron was just dropped randomly?

Don't forget Takuma. Give him a blue and white gi and he'd look like Handyman from In Living Color

takuma-kof13-stance.gif

Edited by Darc_Requiem

The worst thing about this all was that the need to have detailed sprites meant that alot of characters missed out on alot of their moves. Andy and Kim became shells of their former selves and Maxima was completely gutted. XIV didn't even bother adding most of them back. 

Here's hoping they'll add all those missing moves back. 

1 hour ago, N-Tactix said:

The worst thing about this all was that the need to have detailed sprites meant that alot of characters missed out on alot of their moves. Andy and Kim became shells of their former selves and Maxima was completely gutted. XIV didn't even bother adding most of them back. 

Here's hoping they'll add all those missing moves back. 

Well, from what I've seen of XV, they're adding back missing moves to characters. So hopefully this bares out once we get to see more beyond the basic reveal trailers.

20 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I think when I think KOFXIII's horrid art style.

My biggest problem with XIII was visual clarity. I couldn't see shit in half of the stages.

They kinda overdid it with the shading on the characters, they blend in too much. Extremely high-quality otherwise.

13 hours ago, ZioSerpe said:

seriously no fucking idea.

double reveal for mature and vice? a character is holding a jacket over the shoulder? an hand out stretched to choke? A character that is 2 in characters you switch between?

Ryo and Robert. @ me later. 😤

Also, SNK ain't stupid enough to reveal Mature and Vice before Rugal.

King on Team AoF instead of Yuri.

Shatter all expectations indeed. 

Nice to see that most of that trailer was just a bunch of match footage. Some animations kinda look janky when converted into 3D, like Robert's kick special, but overall, game starting to look kinda nice.

I really want this game to be really good, because I can't wait to drown in hatemail for just picking Rugal. (And not winning shit anyway. 🤣)

From what I can tell it's Ryo that changed the most, his fA can be cancelled now? maybe only in max mode cuz he only cancels ex moves or something idk but you couldn't do that before, his ex fireball is an actual fullscreen fireball and it looks like he has his old big windup punch special. Robert p much looks exactly like his 14 version.

I'm still just crazy shook at those fucking CDs that looks like they have guardpoints or something and lead to full combos that shit is so sick.

Edited by Joke
7 minutes ago, Joke said:

I'm still just crazy shook at those fucking CDs that looks like they have guardpoints or something and lead to full combos that shit is so sick.

That looks fuckin' UNGA. 🤣

Probably costs a bar tho.

Just look at this entire sequence. 

The DP mashing after the blocked guardpoint CD had me legit laughing. Straight up Gorilla Tactics. You gonna need an answer for that online Day 1 because people will be mashing that as soon as they get a bar. 🤣

4 hours ago, ZioSerpe said:

They look baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

They're better than XIV. The only problem is that Ryo's head is too small compared to the rest of his body. Same problem that Ralf+Clark had in XII-XIII. 

Edited by N-Tactix

Im sure no one guessed leona.

Looks like the only new thing is that she got heart attack earring back which is p nice its not like she needs anything shes still gonna be a top tier. From the look of it you don't need to be right on top of your fucking opponent to land it either so that's cool and it having some use midcombo with ex is sick. 

Edited by Joke
4 hours ago, ZioSerpe said:

My hype is slowly dying

They are probably going to have show a new character or a a past one that wasn't in XIV soon. 

Then again, Ralf+Clark are a given, there's K' and his team and then there's the 3rd member of the women's team yet to be revealed.

11 hours ago, Joke said:

Im sure no one guessed leona.

Looks like the only new thing is that she got heart attack earring back which is p nice its not like she needs anything shes still gonna be a top tier. From the look of it you don't need to be right on top of your fucking opponent to land it either so that's cool and it having some use midcombo with ex is sick. 

Leona!? Shocked. Absolutely shocked by this reveal. Never saw it coming 👀

1 minute ago, Volt said:

Let's not ignore how many reused sprites it took for KoF to drop a new game every year too

Arguably the 3d models are far better than the original 94-98 era sprites in terms of comparing them to their contemparies. The cutscenes for the earlier KOF games look like Sega Mega Drive tier stuff right next to what Capcom and even other Neo Geo games put out. 

One of my 14 mains let's go, she plays literally exactly the same from what we see  so I kinda wanna say she's guaranteed S tier already like she was before. Only new thing I saw was that extra dp juggle after spinfall in the corner which is a cute lil bonus meterless damage. Finna jump CD mfers to the corner all day just like last game let's goooooo.

New voice sounds way better than the previous one thats the real upgrade tho

• 2 weeks later...