Stage Select

The NRS Thread

I'm not going to pretend to be a huge fan of NRS games. I appreciate their single player content but never been huge on the gameplay. That said, I'm sure a few of you feel differently. Why not discuss it here? I may hate all the guest characters they keep cramming into Injustice, but you may feel differently.

On 3/6/2018 at 8:48 AM, Makrow said:

Can you blame them though? The consumers told NRS that they loved the guest characters by spending the most money on them in MKX. It only made sense for them to continue the trend in Injustice 2.

There is guess characters and then their Injustice 2, the MUGEN of consoles

I am waiting till NRS does a cross promotion with Arc sys and Togo and Put Goku in there

As been part of the NRS community since MK9, I can definitely say that we're playing second fiddle to casuals, but it'd give us the benefit of support from Netherrealm Studios and WB.

And finally they somewhat got there shit together when comes to balancing their games.

*looks at inj2*

On 3/6/2018 at 12:08 PM, DarkSakul said:

There is guess characters and then their Injustice 2, the MUGEN of consoles

I am waiting till NRS does a cross promotion with Arc sys and Togo and Put Goku in there

I'm not going to lie. First game to include Kazama Kiryu from the Yakuza series has my undying loyalty.

On 3/6/2018 at 3:51 PM, misterBee said:

I'm not going to lie. First game to include Kazama Kiryu from the Yakuza series has my undying loyalty.

Honestly they should put him Virtua Fighter 6. Still salty that they never put Ryo Hazuki in VF. Shenmue started it's life as the Virtua Fighter RPG, I thought Ryo would be a given. I was wrong. Side note: Where the hell is VF6 anyway :angry:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Up until they redid the online in MKX their online was buttcheeks so you were right to avoid the online. Played a little bit of Injustice 1 and MKX online and they were both really inconsistent (I remember MKX being the worst of the two). 

I've heard very good things about the updated MKX netcode and Injustice 2 seemed to be solid as well. I'm assuming they will carry this on through with MK11. Though I think 95% of the NRS player base does the same thing you do so its funny they care about the online at all (especially when Capcom seems to be fine with the two hamsters it has been running since SFV launch).

Edited by GetTheTables
3 hours ago, ZioSerpe said:

it honestly saddens me that MK is a popular IP with all the actual good fighting games there are around and get ignored by the masses.

Not a fan of NRS gameplay or their stop motion quality animation but when it comes to single player content, they are without peer. I wish I could get SF game with NRS level single player content.

On 1/25/2019 at 8:51 AM, Darc_Requiem said:

Not a fan of NRS gameplay or their stop motion quality animation but when it comes to single player content, they are without peer. I wish I could get SF game with NRS level single player content.

Nobody should want that.  SF story has been dead in the water since SF2.  Even if they expanded on the lore I can't imagine it every being actually interesting.

On 1/25/2019 at 5:15 AM, ZioSerpe said:

it honestly saddens me that MK is a popular IP with all the actual good fighting games there are around and get ignored by the masses.

Much like SF, MK is popular because it was one of the early hits.  It gets huge boosts due to familiarity and nostalgia.

19 minutes ago, misterBee said:

Nobody should want that.  SF story has been dead in the water since SF2.  Even if they expanded on the lore I can't imagine it every being actually interesting.

The second most active SFV thread on old SRK is the story thread. So they are people that do want that. It doesn't effect the tournament players and online warriors. As NRS fighting game sales show, it is a good way to sell a bunch of copies to casuals.

38 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

The second most active SFV thread on old SRK is the story thread. So they are people that do want that. It doesn't effect the tournament players and online warriors. As NRS fighting game sales show, it is a good way to sell a bunch of copies to casuals.

I'm saying that people want SF story...and you know what they'll get?  A terrible story.  The bones of SF lore barely exist, and what little exists is hardly interesting. (EVIL TERRORISTS!  GOOD VS EVIL HADOU!) Add in the fact that they'll probably take it in a pretty terrible generic low budget anime direction and you've got a recipe for disaster.

Not saying that nobody wants it.  I'm saying that they can't possibly do it well.  Kage exists.

KoF always had an amazing story and was one of the 1st hits with Fatal Fury, fuck I am so obsessed with wearing Chuck Taylors because of Terry. GG literally does an anime and Blazble, for cumbersome it is, has a story that, I believe, would actually be followed by many if it was a book series and not an anime fighter.

I don't care for SF honestly I have realized I am not an SF guy, more on that on the KoF thread where I will leave an update.

Edited by ZioSerpe
  • 1 month later...

I managed to luck sack into a code for the online stress test. C&P'ing my post from elsewhere but overall I've really liked what I've played of the game so far. Honeymoon phase and all that but at least it makes a good first impression. Barring something rando happening I'm definitely picking this up and putting more time into it.

:tldr::

Day 1, 1 beer MK11 review:

Game feels damn good online. Very solid connections throughout. Skarlet is a helluva lot of fun to play. Blew up a couple of people who thought I’d be a quick win with my no levels.

I actually like the flow a lot. It does still have MK vibes though. Runaway Baraka is a pain in the ass and this char has long ranged normals (meaning I don’t know how someone like Sonya who is supposed to be close range is gonna deal). Stages feel kinda big too. Can’t tell how that is gonna go though since I barely know the mechanics. I’m just figuring shit out as I go.

Also the players in this stress test are fucking pussies. They run faster than SF5 players. Hold your no round brown losses and learn!

You can see ping (well it is listed as ping but it is really general connection quality, though I remember in other games they let you display straight up ping #s if you wanted to so I'd guess that will happen here too) and if the opponent is on wifi or wired before you even connect so you can bail if it is sketch. For what little it may be worth I threw myself at wifi warriors and didn’t notice any hiccups or issues (still 5 bar rating though).

Also at least in Kasual matches you can infinitely rematch (not 100% sure if it is infinite but I played multiple people 10+ times so if there is an upper limit it is high) or go back to char select. So you can basically get a 2 person lobby going if you happen to run into someone you like playing.

Managed to play more with the closed beta. 

Game still feels great. It is very nice to play a game where I can just kind of take the netplay for granted. In all my time playing it (granted only a couple of hours but I've played every connection given) I've never seen issues in a match - only some light stuttering at the end of a couple of rounds.

Only really played Skarlet in matches, played Jade a little bit in the tower they had available for practice. I did end up playing a lot against another person using Jade who made me think she could be pretty fun. Jade seems more mid-to-close range whereas Skarlet is long-to-mid by nature. Theoretically Jade may be the better fit since that is the kind of char I like but I really like Skarlet's normals. Didn't spend any time with the other 3 available chars (Scorpion, Kabal, Baraka) but fought against Scorp and Baraka a decent bit. Everyone seems pretty interesting. I can see where Scorpion would be obnoxious as fuck; scrub killer extraordinaire.

Very excited for the release. Looking forward to trying out more of the kast. Although they aren't the play style I like I've always liked Sonya and Cassie so I want to give them a spin.

• 2 weeks later...