Stage Select

The Street Fighter VI Story Thread: Shadaloo Died so Luke Could Live!

On 1/22/2023 at 10:52 PM, CESTUS III said:

SFEX is more than implied

Capcom told us about Darun

"This is the friend that Zangief gave his chess piece to."

A thing does'nt need to be seen on screen to be considered canon 😄

To be completely fair have to do self-correction

That line make a fact that SFEX characters exist and are canon in SF universe, but DON'T make canon SFEX story wich in fact likely never happened and we can't confirm nothing but the small parts mentioned in shadaloo cri profiles

So technically @DarthEnderXis right, would be wrong consider SFEX as canon as actual 100% canon stuff like Final Fight

Guess we have, canon games in SF universe:

Final Fight

Slam Masters

Rival Schools? (the "?" is about the actual events)

Then we have situations where the game itself is'nt canon but characters have been canonized in SF universe (even changing)

SFEX cast

Kyle -> FFstreetwise

Cpt. Sawada -> SF the movie

Blade -> SF the movie

Arkane -> SF the movie

Khyber -> SF the movie

F7 -> SF the movie

Ruby -> MvC

Momotaro -> Pirate Ship Higemaru

Shiba -> Cannon Spike

Simone -> Cannon Spike

Shin -> SF online: mouse generation

Reiko -> Chun-Li ni makase China

Crimson Crawdad -> Shitty SF cartoon

Would say that characters listed as "extra" (example CFAS trio) or anyway are not part of the progressive numbers series could be not counted

https://streetfighter.fandom.com/wiki/Shadaloo_Combat_Research_Institute

24 minutes ago, CESTUS III said:

To be completely fair have to do self-correction

That line make a fact that SFEX characters exist and are canon in SF universe, but DON'T make canon SFEX story wich in fact likely never happened and we can't confirm nothing but the small parts mentioned in shadaloo cri profiles

I think it's more important for the characters to be canon than the games they come from. Better for Capcom to not create a continuity snarl trying to fit everything in. Some games could be easy to fit in like Rival Schools as that series is largely disconnected from SF with Sakura and Akira really tying them together. Captain Commando can simply be the far future of the universe. The rest can be cherry picked what events from their respective game gets used. That's what Capcom did with Lucia. 

15 hours ago, CESTUS III said:

@Chun-Li_Forever

Why she can't just age gracefully?

Blame on you worshippers for convince her she was better as single mom

Now that rich businessman will not want her anymore

I'll Review Anything: E. Honda (Street Fighter V DLC Character) | 3rd World  Geeks

All young gold diggers will steal her place in Mr.Honda heart

E. Honda's story mode is a masterclass in storytelling. : r/StreetFighter

E Honda Story Mode Street Fighter V - YouTube

Not blaming Li Fen for accepting Rashid indecent proposal now that we know the full picture 🤔

I'm screaming, I hate you, you wound me. I am 💀

Naaaah, for it to be even usable they had to "train" it using all sorts of assets without artist's consent. It started with 100+ folks who never agreed to it and blossomed from there. A tool is photoshop, Blender, After Effects, etc. This is not anything close to that. Without being fed it couldn't make anything.

There's literally been incidents where artist's mangled signatures appeared in the "new art". They're trying this in the voice acting world too and it's becoming a problem there too.

5 hours ago, ShockDingo said:

Naaaah, for it to be even usable they had to "train" it using all sorts of assets without artist's consent. It started with 100+ folks who never agreed to it and blossomed from there. A tool is photoshop, Blender, After Effects, etc. This is not anything close to that. Without being fed it couldn't make anything.

There's literally been incidents where artist's mangled signatures appeared in the "new art". They're trying this in the voice acting world too and it's becoming a problem there too.

That's not how AI art works.

That's like saying flesh & blood artists aren't allowed to make art because they've looked at other peoples art. AI art uses observations of art form to craft new art. They do not take components from other art. They simply learn how things look and attempt to recreate them in much the same way human beings do...which is why they make mistakes. The 'mangled signature thing' is a total misunderstanding of the basics of what the algorithmic functions are even doing.

Without being fed visual input a human artist couldn't generate anything either because they would have never seen anything.

AI art is going nowhere and only going to get better. As it does it will open up avenues for MORE people to engage in artistic endeavors. That's an awesome thing. It's more art. More art is good.

Edited by YagamiFire

Not gonna downvote @YagamiFirebut I really believe you are misinformed on the subject (and also cuz :bison:♥️).

I've watched your video and I would go as far as saying that not only is it unethical but at this stage it isn't really art in the true sense of the word.

This recent article posted in the Guardian is an excellent summary of the rightful outrage many artists and other art adjacent people feel about this new technology. Hope you take the time to read it as I think we would digress way off topic here.

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2023/jan/23/its-the-opposite-of-art-why-illustrators-are-furious-about-ai

As person that actually works in graphic/"artistic" field i have no strong opinion about "AI art"

Would call it "AI images", but tbh would be far from the first time that the word "art" is misplaced

Lot of the outrage feels kinda hilarious and hypocrite to me, nobody on teh internet gave much fucks when tons of "normal job workers" were fired thanks to new tech, not going to raise shield and make my heart bleed only because "artist" figure is more romanticized than grocery cashier

Capitalism and final consumer being arrogant/entiteled cunts are the real deal, and in creative world they've been a problem for decades already

AI is just a tool, will have negative or positive impact based on the use people make of it

Real problem is automation as a whole is being used to maximize profits (and cut people cost) rather than build ideal utopia society where people will have to work less to live thanks to sexy robots

Gun have no murder intention, is just a piece of metal

It's the nice suit guy holding it that does'nt like you

20 hours ago, ShockDingo said:

Yeah the real issue here is the consent if the illustrator or if the signed deal regarding artwork can result to exploitation of art style

while giving all the credit or acknowledgment in some from the ai. Even contracts can go obviously go to very grey area with Ai technology.

Yup I have seen Ai voices and even storytelling having a huge improvement lately even has tonal shift.

19 hours ago, YagamiFire said:

That's like saying flesh & blood artists aren't allowed to make art because they've looked at other peoples art. 

yet those are inspired not and it's notable to be a direct inspiration rather than procedural generated 

As someone that is not an illustrator but a designer as well that considered AI art as tool not a threat.

Here is a thing, I only considered it a pass for conceptual works for product design using real photograph not artistic illustration because that's a different case and could affect labor rights.

Imagine Capcom doing that to Bengus to generate 90s alpha like illustration without consent, compensated and royalties because they are using art that they "already paid"  for

Or even SNK doing that to Shinkiro to generate new Shinkiro like art for newer games without his consent that's obviously unethical 

That would be the case with artist that is already popular but how about those that aims to have their own style and wasn't yet as big as the two examples

we need to accept that their are many companies would exploit everything by using horrific practices, greedy companies will always try the GREY area until it becomes regulated we already seen it in microtransaction, nft and much more.  

and the bigger threat here is for company or a studio that can rob an rising illustrator that wanted his own identity by having his own style by hiring them to do brand identify for their artwork then kicking them out for budget reason then using all his previous artwork for the ai to learn to replace the artist while training on unnamed individuals(that isn't credited) that aren't really illustrators to use a software/app that they will only do is retouch their ai generated art from the previous artist that their employer recently dump.

It's likely outsource minus an experience art director or lead artist that was responsible for the original art style replacing it with a team/project manager and combined to an ai machine.

Because it's cheaper especially if outsourced and from the unnamed individuals then the credit goes all to the companies AI machine, which is different from a flesh and blood artist that obviously acknowledge the original artist illustration that he imitates as an inspiration for art direction and art style.

I have seen some outsourcing companies do that already but not for ai art, but I expect it sooner. 

19 hours ago, YagamiFire said:

AI art is going nowhere and only going to get better. As it does it will open up avenues for MORE people to engage in artistic endeavors. That's an awesome thing. It's more art. More art is good.

This is one of the problem with many individuals like artist from 3rd world countries that's why they don't innovate or aim for originality because either their works either outshine, buried or rob so they felt so they heavily relied on practicality. The rise of AI art illustration would only demotivate more of those individuals that is striving for his own style to just go what is practical because companies and studio would careless with his/her own style after the feed it the machine learning. 

Edited by Shakunetsu
17 hours ago, CESTUS III said:

Lot of the outrage feels kinda hilarious and hypocrite to me, nobody on teh internet gave much fucks when tons of "normal job workers" were fired thanks to new tech, not going to raise shield and make my heart bleed only because "artist" figure is more romanticized than grocery cashier

My school was half art school...and yeah that entire field has REGULARLY been the least sympathetic and even downright GLEEFUL I've seen when ridiculing manual laborers or even skilled laborers being replaced.

I'm reminded of the saying...

"First they game for the factory workers, and I laughed because I was an artist high on smelling my own farts...then they came for the automobile assembly workers and I told them to code because I was an artist that doesn't need to worry about uneducated factory workers...then they came for the coal miners and I called them bigoted racists and said I hoped they died because I am artist and I'm better than them...

...then they came for the artists and I demanded everyone rush to my aid because I'm a good, unique, special person that's simply more important than everyone else so PROTECT ME!"

Pretty sure that's how the saying goes.

19 hours ago, Daemos said:

This recent article posted in the Guardian is an excellent summary of the rightful outrage many artists and other art adjacent people feel about this new technology. Hope you take the time to read it as I think we would digress way off topic here.

Your article does indeed say how people FEEL about this new technology. Artists are often VERY big on feelings. ACTUAL knowledge of how things work though? Not so much.

The article is factually wrong all over the place because it's quoting a bunch of artists that know dick-all about technology.

"It's not art"

Yeah that's the mantra of EVERY art snob trying to keep out "the plebs". Lego sculpture? Not art. Anime style? You better believe they used to call that "not art". A literal shit in a pickle jar? OMG WHAT AMAZING ART!

Give me a damned break.

When you spend hours working through refining down a tool's responses with various inputs to get an image you're happy with through HUNDREDS of iterations? Yeah that's art. That's toil, effort, imagination and, above all else, VISION. In fact, in a lot of cases it takes MORE work than what some of these "artists" produce (looking at you Cal-Art graduates. You suck)

10 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

Yeah the real issue here is the consent if the illustrator or if the signed deal regarding artwork can result to exploitation of art style

Again this is wrong. AI art is not putting peoples art in works it creates. It EXPLICITLY does not work that way. Period. Full stop.

10 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

Imagine Capcom doing that to Bengus to generate 90s alpha like illustration without consent, compensated and royalties because they are using art that they "already paid"  for

LMAO

You mean like the Bengus-inspired art I explicitly made for a PC for my buddy's upcoming tabletop game?

spacer.png

I want you to guess how much time and how many revisions that took to get....and then I want you to tell me that my effort and vision didn't equal "art" because of the tool I chose to use (while keeping in mind I have been paid for my art as a full time job at one of the best rates in my entire state in my field).

This is going to open up an entire new field of art usage AND makes artistic expression available to people that have difficulties that could otherwise keep them from exploring traditional mediums. This is not exploitation anymore than ANY artist looking at someones art style and making something similar is exploitation, otherwise ALL OF JAPAN owes MASSIVE royalties to Disney and better pay up because holy crap did they copy that more than any AI has copied someone else.

I see a lot of people talking about AI Art systems that clearly haven't used it at length to get good with it, nor have they looked at the nuts & bolts of how it works. It's fascinating...and to make things equal between people using AI art tools and traditional mediums, you'd have to gouge traditional artists eyes out at birth.

Edited by YagamiFire
13 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

2 hours ago, YagamiFire said:

Again this is wrong. AI art is not putting peoples art in works it creates. It EXPLICITLY does not work that way. Period. Full stop.

Look that's not the whole thing that was for @ShockDingo response, it's not about artist exploiting artist, even the video you posted agree in what I am saying. It's not the tool it's the greedy companies.

Look even the video explains there if it was posted along creative commons, that means if it was posted transformative but yet shad says it could still be used for exploitive means, in the end it's not the tool it's the user. So there for exploitation is just around the corner that why it needs to be regulated since there is a huge GREY AREA.

I want you to guess how much time and how many revisions that took to get....and then I want you to tell me that my effort and vision didn't equal "art" because of the tool I chose to use (while keeping in mind I have been paid for my art as a full time job at one of the best rates in my entire state in my field).

This is going to open up an entire new field of art usage AND makes artistic expression available to people that have difficulties that could otherwise keep them from exploring traditional mediums. This is not exploitation anymore than ANY artist looking at someones art style and making something similar is exploitation, otherwise ALL OF JAPAN owes MASSIVE royalties to Disney and better pay up because holy crap did they copy that more than any AI has copied someone else.

I see a lot of people talking about AI Art systems that clearly haven't used it at length to get good with it, nor have they looked at the nuts & bolts of how it works. It's fascinating...and to make things equal between people using AI art tools and traditional mediums, you'd have to gouge traditional artists eyes out at birth.

To be clear I was pointing not on possibilities of Greedy Companies trying to circumvent the current situation of Ai this is why I am pro-regulation

There is a different from individuals than a huge outsource companies that has all the methods and strategies systematized for that would have already prompt using it in funded a custom designed AI Machine dedicated for the companies brand usage.  while hiring low paying salary unexperienced artist to retouch generated images, it's like a factory.  while kicking a person responsible for the whole artistic direction.

Look my point here is not about individuals artist that is striving but rather greedy companies that can exploit artist that have are "having their own brand and art style" and taking advantage of the labor system and GREY area of AI, which is currently the new wild wild west right now. It's not about individual but those who could made business model from it. Every one right now after the pandemic has been obsess with passive income and exploitation.

This have happen and even in the past 80s-90s some Gaming Companies doesn't want to credit game designer, artist and dev, regardless japan, west or even in europe, that why some start their own gaming companies. Names were purposely omitted and hidden with pseudo names.

Like many NES games that had popular franchise right now because it became a pop culture sensation has left still unknown and unnamed original artist and original game designers

exploitation is always possible when their is no regulation.

This is not exploitation anymore than ANY artist looking at someones art style and making something similar is exploitation, otherwise ALL OF JAPAN owes MASSIVE royalties to Disney and better pay up because holy crap did they copy that more than any AI has copied someone else.

I understand but it's not on an individual manner of an artist but greedy companies not someone like you that strives on. That's not how royalties work, Greedy Companies that would intentionally kick an artist for profit and replace them with "design associate" people that are not really experienced graphic designer and graphic artist but individual that just trained to do images retouch after generation of art. This people doesn't even need experienced or art background but just wanted to earn.

Edited by Shakunetsu

Regulation for this sort of thing does not work. Regulation is just the lazy or insincere way of saying "I do not want to be consistent with my own principles so I need someone else to enforce them for me". Wizards of the Coast recently did stuff I cannot morally support in ANY way. As such I will not be buying ANYTHING from them basically ever again. Period. I do not need government overreach stepping in and enacting MORE power over citizenry to protect me from buying WotC stuff...I simply won't buy their stuff and hope more people do the same and they SUFFER because of it.

I have not bought Marvel or DC comics in YEARS despite having been a weekly purchaser. Why? Same reason as the above with WotC. They're scum and I will not support them. Period.

There is almost no way to stop people and companies from using shortcuts and easy methods unless THE CONSUMER does not support them. The free market speaks in that regard...and I'd rather have that imperfect system than keep demanding more and more regulation. That combined with the blatant knee-jerk reactionary attitude from an INSANELY poorly informed art community that I already know for a fact will readily and gleefully lie let alone just repeating misinformation, means I have zero sympathy for them at all. Part of me WANTS these mealy mouthed little worms to squirm too because the venn diagram with them has insane overlap with bad consumerist behavior.

I agree "things can be used for bad ends"...but, just like with a firearm, I don't demand good people suffer restrictions because of the behavior of bad people.

1 hour ago, YagamiFire said:

I agree "things can be used for bad ends"...but, just like with a firearm, I don't demand good people suffer restrictions because of the behavior of bad people.

Regarding guns in the wild west they we're different in the perspective because people have evolve ethnically.

That's why they need to voice out for their rights at least gaming and comic industry isn't as worst in artist rights compare to 80s and 90s like the time that names of the artist and designers were kept hidden and unknown, regulation is not really that impossible but the thing is it still depends on the country.

Edited by Shakunetsu
3 hours ago, YagamiFire said:

Murata should be used as a template for some kind of new SF animated series or something. His take on SF is god-tier. I love every bit of it.

He's fucking incredible

Not only his trait is super pleasant and can produce great art on both male of female characters, but his interpretation of characters is loyal af and seem the result of somebody that worked on it for years (likely because he's a great fan) rather than the product of a guest that barely bothered to adapt

But what i love is the thought behind everything he does, like

Spoiler

yusuke-murata-balrog-vs-dudley.jpg

Here Murata for Rog  literally took Tyson's peak a boo high guard with hands sticking to the chin (to protect from suffer one-shot KO while performing aggressive pressure dodging) with elbows sticking out

Mike Tyson Technique Breakdown pt 3: Peekaboo - Bloody Elbow

wich is something that not only works because Rog=Tyson, but because Rog indeed used some sort of peak a boo guard in games, easiest example, Rog pose while performing Buffalo Head special or what Rog stance became in SF4 and more in SFV (and even before in SNK take on him)

Balrog — Sirlin.Net — Game DesignM.Bison / Balrog (Boxer) SFV Stance Sprite by SFWoWR on DeviantArt

From there Murata guessed what a skilled and precise boxer like Dudley would do, and made him cut distance to reach behind the elbows barrier and strike the torso wich can paralyze the opponent both because the pain of liver and spleen getting struck and because air get sucked out of lungs, notice how Rog instant start to sweat too

Dude is just awesome illustrator

48 minutes ago, CESTUS III said:

He's fucking incredible

Not only his trait is super pleasant and can produce great art on both male of female characters, but his interpretation of characters is loyal af and seem the result of somebody that worked on it for years (likely because he's a great fan) rather than the product of a guest that barely bothered to adapt

But what i love is the thought behind everything he does, like

Hide contents

yusuke-murata-balrog-vs-dudley.jpg

Here Murata for Rog  literally took Tyson's peak a boo high guard with hands sticking to the chin (to protect from suffer one-shot KO while performing aggressive pressure dodging) with elbows sticking out

Mike Tyson Technique Breakdown pt 3: Peekaboo - Bloody Elbow

wich is something that not only works because Rog=Tyson, but because Rog indeed used some sort of peak a boo guard in games, easiest example, Rog pose while performing Buffalo Head special or what Rog stance became in SF4 and more in SFV (and even before in SNK take on him)

Balrog — Sirlin.Net — Game DesignM.Bison / Balrog (Boxer) SFV Stance Sprite by SFWoWR on DeviantArt

From there Murata guessed what a skilled and precise boxer like Dudley would do, and made him cut distance to reach behind the elbows barrier and strike the torso wich can paralyze the opponent both because the pain of liver and spleen getting struck and because air get sucked out of lungs, notice how Rog instant start to sweat too

Dude is just awesome illustrator

He really is awesome. I'll even go one step beyond and suggest that he might be channeling Holyfield there. When Holyfield fought Tyson he DISSECTED Iron Mike and did it through a lot of hooks to compensate for Tyson's typical defense (Tyson's defense and chin were solid but he was HEAVILY reliant on his offense and early gas) so that seems very in line with what Murata is conveying with Dudley vs Balrog

Returning closer to story, we may have an hint about little girl role in SF6

Street Fighter 6 Discussion Thread 2 | 2nd Drive Impact Capcom - OT | Page  92 | ResetEra

I thought she was some sort of princess, but few days ago my woman was looking an instagram story about Nepal, and between other things told me apparently there is a Nepalese tradition called "Kumari Devi", where a selected little girl is keept in a palace* and worshipped as a living goddess (or better, as if the Goddess chosen that body as host for a period), till her first menstruation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kumari_(goddess)

Watching google pics dress/jewels style kinda match too

If SF6 nation of Nayshall is using that parallel, if JP won her trust may be big deal for that country, because if he can influence her to say what he wants, his message can be sold as gods words to population

*speaking of stay in a palace, i think she's the small blue dress figure we see in the palace here in the middle (click for full size)

https://i.ibb.co/0DFfPmD/jp-ss04.jpg

Edited by CESTUS III
9 hours ago, YagamiFire said:

When you spend hours working through refining down a tool's responses with various inputs to get an image you're happy with through HUNDREDS of iterations? Yeah that's art. That's toil, effort, imagination and, above all else, VISION. In fact, in a lot of cases it takes MORE work than what some of these "artists" produce (looking at you Cal-Art graduates. You suck)

I cannot honestly believe you committed this to text. Wow.

1 hour ago, CESTUS III said:

I thought she was some sort of princess, but few days ago my woman was looking an instagram story about Nepal, and between other things told me apparently there is a Nepalese tradition called "Kumari Devi", where a selected little girl is keept in a palace* and worshipped as a living goddess (or better, as if the Goddess chosen that body as host for a period), till her first menstruation

Excellent find and likely the source of the inspiration behind the character. I think she represents the Russian Imperial family to JP's Rasputin in SF's story, giving him resources and a safe position to do his dirty work.

13 hours ago, CESTUS III said:

Returning closer to story, we may have an hint about little girl role in SF6

Street Fighter 6 Discussion Thread 2 | 2nd Drive Impact Capcom - OT | Page  92 | ResetEra

Watching google pics dress/jewels style kinda match too

If SF6 nation of Nayshall is using that parallel, if JP won her trust may be big deal for that country, because if he can influence her to say what he wants, his message can be sold as gods words to population

*speaking of stay in a palace, i think she's the small blue dress figure we see in the palace here in the middle (click for full size)

https://i.ibb.co/0DFfPmD/jp-ss04.jpg

Whoa that is gonna be worth some MAJOR kudos because that looks like a spot-on call. Eagle eyes!

11 hours ago, Daemos said:

I cannot honestly believe you committed this to text. Wow.

Bruh, if you don't know the "Cal-Arts style" meme, you don't know artists. That's been a meme for years. Look it up. It's worth a laugh.

Edited by YagamiFire
On 1/24/2023 at 8:55 PM, YagamiFire said:

That's like saying flesh & blood artists aren't allowed to make art because they've looked at other peoples art. AI art uses observations of art form to craft new art.

Asinine take.

22 hours ago, YagamiFire said:

Regulation is just the lazy or insincere way of saying "I do not want to be consistent with my own principles so I need someone else to enforce them for me".

The fuck?  The point of regulation is to make OTHER people consistent with your principles.

Edited by DarthEnderX
7 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

Asinine take.

The fuck?  The point of regulation is to make OTHER people consistent with your principles.

Asinine take? Correct take. AI recreates based on things it has seen algorithmically through a learning process based on observation. It applies a vast array of data points to qualities of art across a huge spectrum (that increasingly grows and, if the AI is well designed, learns based on feedback). You know what your brain does? It looks at stuff visually and that visual input is turned into data points in your brain. If you try to create based on that info, you are drawing from things you've seen.

Otherwise, PLEASE explain to me how someone that has never seen anything nor had it described to them proceeds to represent it artistically. I'll wait.

As far as "regulations"...I often find it to be shorthand for "give someone else power" with that "someone" often being a government entity that has no interest in wielding that power in a responsible way. I do not need regulation to make people consistent with MANY of my principles. For instance...I use a seat-belt. However, I do not believe an adult should be required to wear one. Do you see the principled difference there? I believe someone should have the right to choose whether or not they use a seat-belt. That requires zero regulation of their individual autonomy. I believe people have the right to own things for personal protection like firearms. I do not believe someone needs to be given a firearm nor that someone should have to have one. So no, the idea that "regulation is to make OTHER people consistent with your principles" is not necessarily true after all, I am okay with there being a legal age at which people can drink alcohol. I, however, has it as a personal principle to not consume alcohol. There is a considerable gulf between a persons principles and how those can inform or manifest regulations. Indeed, some principles can entirely keep one from wanting to regulate the principles of others in many many cases (as happens with me). Your statement is a dangerous simplification. Morality, principles, regulation of others and similar concepts deserve A LOT more thought so as to arrive at moral consistency.

People are asking for regulation against stuff that the AI is not doing...but are still pushing for it because they do not know what they are talking about. Their argumentation is bad. I am okay with stuff based on good argumentation, but they just do not have that in cases here.

Now, as far as regulation, we already have that where you can't copy and produce things you don't own. For instance, you can't take AI and output an image of Kermit the Frog then resell it. Why? Because we have regulation for that. It's copyright infringement to do that (of course even this has wiggle room with things like parody, etc since Fair Use can cast a wide net so even that is not an ironclad rule).

3 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

Video

LegalEagle (who once made probably the worst legal video-take I've ever seen from a legal professional) has a solid video here that discusses the nuances of the situation.

What is an important take-away is regarding his discussion about "style". A lot of the thrust of the 'infringement' being claimed by artists is that they're being copied...except they're not...because there's no output. You can't copyright a style and, effectively, what the AI is learning is 'styles' so as to form visual images of things. Is it not recreating the image itself. Instead, it took the image as input to learn from. CAN this create instances of copyright infringement? Yes absolutely because you can use it to output copyright protected characters or the like. If you tried to sell that, it would be infringement and that is protected.

If you paid an artist to "Draw me as a superhero  in the art style of Murata"...and they did so after looking over Murata's work...that is not infringement. The artist is not 'stealing' from Murata.

AI can (and/or very soon will be able) look at the breadth of art just like a commissioned artist and then fulfill a request the same as the above commissioned artist. Again, that does not mean the AI 'stole' from Murata.

This is railing against the absolutely inevitable. After all, we're MAYBE a year or two away from the AI being stand-alone installation that can just be fed images to learn from. So...what? Are artists just going to make all their art unavailable for viewing by anyone in any medium except in person? Cuz, guess what? Otherwise it will be trivially easy to train a stand-alone instance. Like do we understand how absurd this becomes at some point? What are you going to do? Tell software companies "No you can't make software that does anything like this"? Then...what? THE WORLD is going to obey that? C'mon now. What about independent people? Will they obey that? Of course not. It's rapidly becoming a part of the ecosystem with fast adoption. There's no unbaking the cake at this point. The software will be out there, the capability will be out there and there's essentially no way to 'regulate' it away...especially with the bad, ill-informed argumentation being made.

TLDR Infringement is a case by case basis and AI Art software is merely a tool that outputs things. Not a work unto itself. So, as LegalEagle said, "probably not".

EDIT:

Took my morning constitutional and just wanted to clarify regarding the 'regulations' thing that the original statements for that was in regards to the mentioning of regulating companies by banning them from using AI Art...which is just silly. I do not support that at all. Not even a little...and for a few reasons.

Ironically, it's also exactly the stance larger companies would make. Larger companies would definitely favor heavy handed regulation like banning of AI art because AI art creates higher quality competition. Think about Wizards of the Coast and Dungeons & Dragons...their stuff looks more attractive as products because of art production that they have the pockets to pay for. Now, with the advent of AI, it is becoming easier for smaller companies or even individuals to compete in that regard by putting their own vision of their fantasy world into an image. That's a great thing for smaller publishers! On an even smaller scale, it's great for individuals. I have a buddy that has been playing D&D for decades and has never drawn anything in his life but is a very creative guy that just has issues with visual mediums and translating them into motor-skills...he's currently using AI art tools to create all sorts of art for his D&D campaign. He's sinking HOURS into this. Hours into a visual artistic endeavor...and it's extremely fulfilling for him to finally get what's in his head visualized. That's really cool. That's the process of art. More art is a good thing. And sharing more ideas is a great thing.

Edited by YagamiFire
2 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I'll say my piece on this AI art issue and I'll be concise. AI art isn't art. It's the equivalent of when an artist traces another's person's work, makes a few tweaks, and passes it off as their own. 

So you haven't used AI art tools. 😉

Sorry, I just hate art snobbery. Putting in effort to pull a vision out of your head is art...no matter how it's done or even what the result is. When I was 5 and I traced coloring books and then made a few tweaks to make different looking superheroes? Yeah that was art. When the 70 year old sketch artist with Parkinson's who can no longer control their pencil but can type uses a keyboard and puts in 5 hours of effort to get an AI tool to translate the vision in their head into a visual medium after having lost the ability to do so the way they used to? That is also art. In a few short years (and believe me it will be sooner than people think) when you can put on a halo and output your imagination directly into a digital image with zero 'effort' required from your body? That will also be art.

You can hate the tool, the style, the medium or the result (and god knows I dislike PLENTY of those things)...but doesn't change the fact that it's art.

Edited by YagamiFire

Legal Eagle already tackle my concerns already. So I wont expand it that much.

it's about feeding AI the works of specific person art style that it would be dedicated to mimic a specific artstyle of a person and after dumping him/her. 

Here a thing, it's not about personal issues and individual struggle for expressing his/her idea but rather it's a company that would exploit and taken advantage of an artist dedication and hardwork to be either innovative or even to standout. 

The terrifying part is that they would just hired bunch of people for cheap labor from 3rd world countries that the only dedicated job on retouching the ai generated images from the artist and call it a day then make profit out of that sole artist artstyle. While all the credit goes to the outsourcing company/studio or whatsoever. Because of the BARE MINiMUM HUMAN INTERVENTION AS A LOOP HOLE then PROFIT. It's not about manifesting a vision when the human intervention is just retouching an ai generated image by another person from sole artist work.

Labor and artist exploitation is just around the corner this is why regulation is an important factor like other form of media.

Edited by Shakunetsu
4 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

Labor and artist exploitation is just around the corner this is why regulation is an important factor like other form of media.

No, this is exactly why you should not support a company that does these things if you do not like them. 'Regulation' overwhelmingly favors large companies time and time again. Look into the donators behind  most regulatory bills...it's companies like Wal-Mart and Google and other megacorps because they use the regulation to their own advantage to harm smaller companies.

You cannot regulate protection of a 'style'. It doesn't even make sense. At all. Not even a little bit. Not only is it near impossible to prove, it would open up MASSIVE issues. "Oh hey did you use AI for this because it seems VERY similar to a style Disney owns. Can you PROVE you didn't use AI for this? In a court of law? Cuz that's where we'll see you...bankrupting you with legal costs whether or not you're right or wrong". THAT is how big companies utilize this stuff. Lawfare is a VERY real thing and knee-jerk reacting for 'regulations' is exactly how large companies turn new advances in technology entirely to their advantage. You are giving increasing power to organizations that will exploit it ruthlessly to obliterate competition.

Beyond that, regulating a style just makes no sense.

It is incumbent on consumers to support what they want to support, not top-down bloated regulation that will (overwhelmingly statistically) favor the very large corporations you claim to want to combat. It doesn't work that way. It has never worked that way. Look into this stuff instead of just 'feeling' a certain way. Ceding power to other people to do something is how this stuff all goes sideways every time.

4 hours ago, YagamiFire said:

It is always about the individual. Protect that and you protect the whole. Try to protect EVERYONE and you will end up protecting almost no one.

That sound something good but it isn't as simple as that, regulation as human evolve helps everyone even it isn't a equal ground but stil kept exploitation minimal. If this is many coined the phrase when there is something new that can be exploited it's kinda either refer to a "wild wild west" situation. imagine that kind of idea as an excuse to let go of the chaos when guns are made. regulation change a lot of things from the creative media industry without it everything is likely to stay on the dark age.

it's not really the individual it's always been a battle of resources and ideas either be consumed/bought in the end that's how the tech and creative industry works.  if small players isnt protected by any rights big companies, gonna destroy any mean of competition or find away to circumvent labor rights

Edited by Shakunetsu
2 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

if small players isnt protected by any rights big companies, gonna destroy any mean of competition or find away to circumvent labor rights

And, as I said, regulation generally favors large corporations. Not "the small player".

As far as "the wild west"...I prefer the wild west approach to things like guns and self-defense. I'm of the "an armed society is a polite society" sort. The internet, for example, was far better before being over-regulated and controlled where it is now overwhelmingly monopolized by only a handful of companies. What caused that? Over regulation that caused incestuous relationships between governments (The so-called regulator) and huge corporations (the supposedly regulated). Who has more to lose to people being able to create their own art? Individuals writ large? Or huge corporations that try to gobble up control over as much media as possible? C'mon now. That's an obvious answer.

Does M.U.G.E.N. as a community HURT fighting games...or HELP fighting games? Who would be more likely to want to shut it down? Individuals and small-time creators...or huge corporations that would see it as a potential threat somehow? Again, the answer is obvious.

Large corporations despise any tool that gives self-realizing power to smaller companies and individuals. "What?! You can't just PRINT books! That would allow the peasants to read!"

Does M.U.G.E.N. as a community HURT fighting games...or HELP fighting games? Who would be more likely to want to shut it down? Individuals and small-time creators...or huge corporations that would see it as a potential threat somehow? Again, the answer is obvious.

Lol, Mugen isn't comparable to ai art issue, it cannot be used by large company to exploit artist for profit or it cannot be monetized by large corporation using other creators content. Me and Shock has been among the oldest member of the community that still active today.

Large corporations despise any tool that gives self-realizing power to smaller companies and individuals. "What?! You can't just PRINT books! That would allow the peasants to read!"

that a very different argument kinda far fetch regarding labor.

As far as "the wild west"...I prefer the wild west approach to things like guns and self-defense. I'm of the "an armed society is a polite society" sort. The internet, for example, was far better before being over-regulated and controlled where it is now overwhelmingly monopolized by only a handful of companies. What caused that? Over regulation that caused incestuous relationships between governments (The so-called regulator) and huge corporations (the supposedly regulated). Who has more to lose to people being able to create their own art? Individuals writ large? Or huge corporations that try to gobble up control over as much media as possible? C'mon now. That's an obvious answer.

I don't know how the law on guns in US is but as far as I know Texas has a different law regarding guns. Yet guns still require a permit to carry and own. That proves the point that there is a form of regulation compare the wild west west era that gives a form of order.

Edited by Shakunetsu
57 minutes ago, Shakunetsu said:

Lol, Mugen isn't comparable to ai art issue, it cannot be used by large company to exploit artist for profit or it cannot be monetized by large corporation using other creators content. Me and Shock has been among the oldest member of the community that still active today.

You realize that all MUGEN efforts can FREELY be mined for content by large companies to exploit for their own profit right? Design an attack for a character? They can take that. Design a mechanic? They can take that. Make a version of a character that proves popular? They can take that. It can absolutely be monetized in so many ways. Also you didn't answer the question...who does MUGEN help more? Small creators or big companies? In fact, I've noticed that's a BIG trend with this conversation...no one actually wants to answer any questions about the topic. They just want to make assertions and talk about their feelings.

that a very different argument kinda far fetch regarding labor.

Nope, it's part of the core of the matter especially since you still aren't even asserting how something is being 'exploited'. Art styles cannot be copyrighted. Full stop. Any company at any point can already take ANY artists style at will and start reproducing it. And they have the resources to do so at the snap of their fingers.

I don't know how the law on guns in US is but as far as I know Texas has a different law regarding guns. Yet guns still require a permit to carry and own. That proves the point that there is a form of regulation compare the wild west west era that gives a form of order.

"I don't know how the law on guns in US is"

Honestly you can stop right there...because you don't since you go on to make incorrect statements. In fact, some towns in the wild west had STRICTER gun & weapon laws than we have now since it could vary by sheriff (many of whom wildly infringed on rights).

So you're factually wrong...which means you've disproved your own point.

Edited by YagamiFire