Stage Select

The Street Fighter VI Story Thread: Shadaloo Died so Luke Could Live!

28 minutes ago, BootyWarrior said:

Ryu's getting the Dante treatment but worse since Ryu's still not a master and will probably be weaker than Akuma for another 30 years.

I think he's getting closer much faster than that, like as raw power he will still be the underdog by the time they have their fight (wich is bit essential shonen story shit), but moral of the story will show how Ryu walking the right path will end up give him victorious

But yeah SF6 profile says he does'nt consider himself "there yet" or something similar

At this point feels like they're trying to put Ryu on another parallel rail, where he will keep his personal growth stuff having Akuma as personal last boss, while rest of the cast can focus on story of the moment, with new hero Luke having to face the current boss

As ridicolous it sounds even the design decision of give him beard under anime visual perspective kinda lock him out of main hero role, becoming a more mature side-figure with his shit to do

Btw does'nt fix much the problem that Capcom having this boner for Akuma will keep indirectly cripple their ability to create credible new bosses, whoever will show up as boss in SF6 will not feel as stronk as Akuma (and indeed will be somebody that still green Luke can handle)

And will keep us locked on this eternal cycle of cheap devil shoto being the ultimate badass while we could get way more interesting, original and credible new figures that may get us hyped about new baddest dog 🥱

Like imagine if we was already on a post-Akuma era where Ryu defeated him and a new boss appear giving vibes would pose even bigger challenge than Akuma did (because original spirit of SF used to be world is immense and full of strong fighters yet to meet)... is'nt even necessary Ryu the guy that have to face him (the new Boss), but would offer fresh hype about this new threat

Instead we will have to keep this feel that SF6 will probably be minor league shit, with real big dogs being elsewhere

Just think in SFV during ASF events Akuma could just have smashed through Bison HQ, rip off Bison in two pieces, fart, grumpy say "weak!" and jump away steals good % of ASF epicness lol

As said 99 times Capcom is locking SF into a Baki manga bullshit, unable to evolve 

14 minutes ago, CESTUS III said:

Just think in SFV during ASF events Akuma could just have smashed through Bison HQ, rip off Bison in two pieces, fart, grumpy say "weak!" and jump away steals good % of ASF epicness lol

That would not have been possible. Akuma doesn't have the tools to defeat Bison and Psycho Power.

The whole world of Street Fighter needed to momentarily set aside their differences to go after the foundations of Bison's power. Their champions singularly could not do shit. Charlie needed the help of a demigod to put even a dent in Bison and he failed at that. And Ryu needed to literally hone an entirely new type of ki to him just to finally stop him.

Akuma knew how to dominate Post-ASF Ryu because Akuma knows of MNK. He was defeated by it in SF4 and reactively went into the forests to find a way to defeat his brother and his new techniques. He did, and that is why he is more animal now than divine despite what he professes.

If anything, the trend with Capcom has been to slowly depower Akuma and make him more like everyone else.

It will be interesting to see what they decide to do with him now. Post-3S Akuma was developing more and more insane techniques at a rate that far surpasses Ryu. Unless Ryu was taught by Oro in the last 10 years, he still has a long way to go before he can match Akuma.

So what is Akuma really gonna do in this story? What is his motivation if not to fight Ryu - but the two are meant to meet at the end of Ryu's journey and this entry is not it.

I think Akuma needs to settle his score with Gouken in SF6, and help inspire Ryu to finally get off his chance and finish him.

4 hours ago, Daemos said:

That would not have been possible. Akuma doesn't have the tools to defeat Bison and Psycho Power.

Ehhh would not be so sure about that dude

Starting with the premise i would LOVE if canon was that characters like Bison, Gill, Necalli, G and even Urien and Seth would all have superior power to Akuma (with him filling the gap by technique), reality is Capcom just like hyper stronk Akuma, who would likely fuck up all of them

I did'nt seen any particular difference between the ways to fight different types of negative ki (in fact Bison PP got defeated by same kind of ki used previously in SF4 by Gouken against Akuma's SnH), and we seen Akuma not have much trouble get rid of Kage or Necalli, both negative ki enemies

At least by the moment Ryu fought him and had no more infinite health recharge, i think Akuma could just have gone though him destroying him (his body) without much effort, Capcom just love to slap in our face how powerful Akuma is compared to Ryu and others, and find excuses to make him fuck up other bosses

The whole world of Street Fighter needed to momentarily set aside their differences to go after the foundations of Bison's power. Their champions singularly could not do shit. Charlie needed the help of a demigod to put even a dent in Bison and he failed at that.

Wait

In their final fight Charlie WON the round and put Bison on his knee, but Rashid was too slow to turn off Bison's machine (as plan was supposed to go) wich resulted into Bison recovering energies completely, laving Charlie in a situation where he's unable to land a finishing attack as even all the energies he got left (and being dead could not refresh them, he was an empty battery) were not enough to destroy a completely recharged Bison

Guy A and Guy B sparring, A land 300 strikes, B land 100. Round end and we have Guy A on advantage, tired but he's winning.

Then magic happens Guy B get completely refreshed back to be unscathed and fresh state as if fight just started, suddently Guy B is the one winning even if he landed less

That's how i seen it from ASF events

We talked this many times, i see it as Nash would have finished him if Rashid did his part (wich seems also Nash opinion),resulting in both Nash and Bison dead

You see it as even with Moons down and no ability to recharge, Bison after the round loss would have still survived Nash final attack

Guess we will never know, but i try to stick to ASF elements we got

And Ryu needed to literally hone an entirely new type of ki to him just to finally stop him.

Ryu first used it on Necalli, is essentially his new way of utilize ki that allow him to perform much better on general (see Ken second sparring) but specially against negative ki enemies, without risk to fall into SnH side himself

May add apparently Gouken in SF4 who probably hold greater control over MnK seems to not go much beyond put Akuma on stalemate wich resulted in him leaving without take Ryu with himself

Meanwhile Ryu at first tries had tremendous effect on Bison (probably due shell corpse Bison nature) but not much against Akuma, who just seems to be too much for him to handle by the time of SFV

Akuma knew how to dominate Post-ASF Ryu because Akuma knows of MNK. He was defeated by it in SF4 and reactively went into the forests to find a way to defeat his brother and his new techniques. He did, and that is why he is more animal now than divine despite what he professes.

I don't think we have a proof of that

Like you i also think he's working on a weapon to pierce Gouken's MnK shield but we can't know if he already completed it by that point and specially he does'nt seem to have used it (or any other particular technique) to defeat Ryu in SFV

An hint he may already reached it is when later against Kage use a new attack called Houten Seikengaki, wich apparently translate into  "Crashing-the-heaven/sky fist thrusting attack" (found it on twitter) and THAT may be the spear he will use (imho) to kill Gouken next time they fight, but seems unlikely he used it on Ryu

5 hours ago, Daemos said:

If anything, the trend with Capcom has been to slowly depower Akuma and make him more like everyone else.

What? If anything seems to me he's just getting stronger and stronger, "recent years" Akuma is like

Oro who have 100 years of training advantage seems the only able to have a real even fight with him and they sit at #1 together

Gouken seems like he essentially mastered a technique that force Akuma to a lose/draw, where one is attacker one the defender, and since attacker can't harm the defender they're in a stalemate that make the defender victorious... but reality wise there was'nt a fight with winner standing and loser fucked up on the ground, Akuma left pissed but unscathed and on his own legs

These were the parts where he struggled, and only in one had chance to be actually killed (vs Oro, likely mutual destruction)

Now to SFV capcom does

Akuma killing Gen don't consider it incredible feat by itself, but Gen find Akuma much more powerful compared to last time he seen him, wich was SF4 fight with Gouken

Akuma goes easily straight through the very same Ryu that just defeated Necalli and Bison without much effort. He does'nt use against Ryu new attack either because still did'nt mastered it, or more likely because he did'nt needed it as Ryu failed to push him to his own limits

Akuma fight Kage (spiritual battle i guess as i still think Kage does'nt exist on material level of reality), and actually Akuma is LOSING it because apparently Akuma is trying -according to Kage- to fight under "laws of heaven" keeping willingly "that part" at bay.

Then we see that essentially till that point Akuma fought some sort of handicap match refusing to use SnH, because he wanted rise to next level beyond "demon" and strike Kage with a new attack not based on physical nor on Satsui, the Houten Seikengeki, wich one-shot Kage away

At this point we know that Akuma possibly have the weapon to go though Gouken's shield

Akuma allow himself to be absorbed by Necalli, just to power flex out of him making Necalli explode... not that big deal considering how they(Capcom) made him become a joke (Rog beating him lol), but we don't know how hard to do that after Necalli already absorbed you and anyway this is just Capcom wanting to flex

Then we have SF6 Ryu, who trained for years after SFV days and still does'nt consider himself ready for his final test against Akuma

Idk dude, again i would LOVE see Capcom depowering Akuma and even humble him SFEX/Garuda style, if a char deserve this Akuma is... but reality is Capcom seem determined to keep Akuma on top till the days Ryu reach him

6 hours ago, Daemos said:

It will be interesting to see what they decide to do with him now. Post-3S Akuma was developing more and more insane techniques at a rate that far surpasses Ryu. Unless Ryu was taught by Oro in the last 10 years, he still has a long way to go before he can match Akuma.

So what is Akuma really gonna do in this story? What is his motivation if not to fight Ryu - but the two are meant to meet at the end of Ryu's journey and this entry is not it.

I think Akuma needs to settle his score with Gouken in SF6, and help inspire Ryu to finally get off his chance and finish him.

I think similar to you

Canon wise my guess is Akuma just keept train/power up on the path beyond SnH, and that when he will face Gouken again he will show up with a fist that can kill without need to tap into SnH and this will go thorugh any Gouken's defense, killing him (theory)

This would remove one of the only 2 characters currently able to stop him, wonder i he would try also to rematch Oro, would be last gate to break to declare himself absolutely undisputed on earth (till the day Ryu reach the level to challenge him)

After all him and Oro were even in SF3 days, but at this point of their life i think Akuma is the one evolving/rising faster... in fact Oro probably thought to have reached his ceiling wich is why he's looking for a student, while SF6 Akuma is probably more powerful than SF3 one

From The Verge:

'We can’t dive into the specifics in terms of what you can actually do in World Tour, but what we can say is there will be a narrative, and going through that story will allow the player to learn how to do different things,” he explains. “Beyond that, there will be moments where players can really learn who these legacy characters are, whether it’s Ryu or Chun-Li.'

46 minutes ago, Skort said:

I still have my doubt about the graffiti tease but I hope it's true because that would mean a 22 roster release .

I never had though of that, but from what I know a lot of bison fans in Japan* had been reaching with Takayama. Compare to other characters fanbase.

Bison fans had been one of the most seen a lot in social media. 

8 hours ago, YagamiFire said:

I can't wait. NO game gets me hyped as much as Street Fighter games (now that MGS is dead)

What i love is we're probably going to get bunch of cool NPCs that will expand SF world like never before 

The fact SF6 already have a character creation system is going to make easy for them add lot of side characters, kinda like SC (with actual important chars getting unique parts to not look too generic) 

I think same tech will be used for normal stage background people, Guile stage crowd feels all made with editor lol 

I just hope editor will include different size/body builds, otherwise they will look lame in a world like SF where official chars are SO different from each others 

(So far one hint may be all people in the gym where Luke is working on the heavy bag, but tbh these looks similar)

Only negative side is i already know i will get pissed we will see lot of NPCs that concept wise i would have prefered over some playable ones 😆

6 hours ago, Daemos said:

@CESTUS III

Look at that art! Bison, Vega, Sakura, and Ibuki are coming! Just as foretold by the great graffiti oracle!

wich art, you forgot to add it lol

Btw of these chars you said Bison does'nt disturb me that much 

As said would have prefer Bison more late, would have made sense story wise and make more meaningful his return (passing early seasons as incoming menace, with servants working to resurrect him), but at the end is a good character to have, even if personally i would have spent first extra slots to fill roles (muay thai, boxing) i still need to see to feel cast have no big holes 

No problem there, i'm way more disturbed by the idea of get both Akuma and Sakura so early, depend on cast size they will either be base+s1 or s1+s2... SFV at least had the dignity to wait s2+s3 lol 😄

Edited by CESTUS III
10 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

new shinkiro art

Good art, but it's a mashup for SF's 35th anniversary... It tells nothing about the future installment, stop linking it to SF6.

Unless you want to tell me even JUNI AND JULI are coming, just because there's an art of them on the same site... But I'll have to admit that Honda diving into Chun-Li is hilarious.

1 hour ago, Miðgarðsorm said:

Good art, but it's a mashup for SF's 35th anniversary... It tells nothing about the future installment, stop linking it to SF6.

That's not how marketing works. Everything related to Street Fighter for the next 1-2 years at least will very likely be an extension and in the service of the flagship multi-million dollar product they are about to release. Literally every piece of art, toy figures, crossover, etc. will be an ad opportunity to plug SF6. That is why Ryu looks like he does in SF6 smack center in that art and not like how he appeared for the last 35 years. He is still the face of the product. That is also why 10 out of the 12 characters in that art also appear on the website (half of whom are confirmed to be part of the year 1 roster already). 

32 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Yes it does. Who's to say that SF6 is the only street fighter project Capcom is working on? This could also be used to promote Street Fighter Duel, an new UDON comic, more crossovers with Fortnite.

SF Duel and Fortnite are in the service of SF6. Everything is in the service of SF6 - It is the eye of the storm and where all the real money will be going and coming from. Literally Capcom uses these extra opportunities to keep the name and characters of the franchise fresh in the minds of their target audiences so that it all comes together on launch day.

Sakura and Blanka were not randomly released on Fortnite, just like Capcom did not randomly license out an Oro Toy Figure 2-3 years before his release in SF5. Blanka and Sakura will BOTH be in SF6 and they are banking on the Fortnite playerbase making that connection and coming to us.

Edited by Daemos

Where is this new official artwork of Juni and Juli created by famed Street Fighter icon Shinkiro? 

You really want to compare those scribbles in the corner with the masterful presentation of Shinkiro? Do you know how much it costs to commission new artworks like this? Thousands.

Edited by Daemos
23 minutes ago, Daemos said:

Where is this new official artwork of Juni and Juli created by famed Street Fighter icon Shinkiro? 

You really want to compare those scribbles in the corner with the masterful presentation of Shinkiro? Do you know how much it costs to commission new artworks like this? Thousands.

Ultra Street Fighter 4 - last character LEAKED ?! (Retsu) - YouTube

Wonder when Retsu DLC will drop for SF4, i think it's about time

Friends told me to let it go, but i was like "do you even Shinkiro?" and they had no answer

Oh, ok. Enjoy Juli and Juni in SF6 then.

Fuck yeah, Doll gang let's gooooooooo!

Don't forget to put in Decapre too, and then expand on the other 9 of them.

Maybe even even Maggio in there too, who knows.

It was a brave decision for Capcom to dedicate 12/13 slots of the roster to Cammy lookalike, but you gotta admit, it was a smart, good decision! 🙂

18 minutes ago, Phantom_Miria said:

Fuck yeah, Doll gang let's gooooooooo!

Don't forget to put in Decapre too, and then expand on the other 9 of them.

Some Men Just Want To Watch The World Burn GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

19 minutes ago, Phantom_Miria said:

Maybe even even Maggio in there too, who knows.

Fuuuu... wait, Maggio at 2% is currently strongest chance of get italian male rep in SF6

Changed my mind, hope your wisdom reach Takayuki Nakayama ears, ask me to kill if needed

46 minutes ago, CESTUS III said:

Wonder when Retsu DLC will drop for SF4, i think it's about time

Friends told me to let it go, but i was like "do you even Shinkiro?" and they had no answer

I'm pretty sure there is a story behind that. I work with artists like this in my job and they usually receive very specific instructions about what and who which are based on future prospects. There is little room for freedom on the part of the artist.

Oh, so it's only Shinkiro the acceptable proof now? Didn't you say that everything is in the service of SF6? Now you would keep out poor KIMOKIMO?

Playing dumb looks ugly on you. 🙂

I made my prediction based on available information. Time will tell if I'm right or wrong.

3 hours ago, Daemos said:

I'm pretty sure there is a story behind that. I work with artists like this in my job and they usually receive very specific instructions about what and who which are based on future prospects. There is little room for freedom on the part of the artist.

Just done delicious trolling move on you lol 🤣

Thought was about right treatment to pull the blasphemy of place Shinkiro as "famed Street Fighter icon", next to teh Holy 4 CapGods

Game of Thrones S01E02 - Tyrion slaps Joffrey on Make a GIF

Actually SF4 image was indeed an hint of coming fighters iirc, i think to remember it foretold Hugo and Elena wich later indeed did it

Googled, it did

Rumor : Shinkiro Artwork hints at Retsu for USF4 | NeoGAF

Btw the SF6 image (missed it at first as was on an ignored post) showing these characters MAY be an hint

After all without count who's already in are 6 characters (no Mika though, if we want follow graffiti), and 3M 3F could indeed be a Season, male/female ratio bit higher than SFV can fit what we seen in SF6

HOWEVER

Zangief Sfv GIFs | Tenor

While i don't find impossible they're  pulling a gimmick to tell us first not-22 Season is going to be Alex-Sakura-Bison-Ibuki-Vega-Viper with future "AHAHi told you!" effect, i also find @Miðgarðsormopinion that this piece is made for 35th anniversary pretty solid, after all the costume/characters choice seem to point at different chapters of SF history

SF1 nobody cares (plus Shinkiro being only a SNK infiltrate does'nt know SF1 existed, obvious real motivation)

SF2 Guile, Chun, Vega, Cammy, Akuma

SFA Sakura, Bison (since all are ingame designs, i take it as Alpha Bison with cape)

SF3 Alex

SF4 Viper

SFV Luke, Ibuki

SF6 Ryu

Seems to me he purposely picked (or more likely was asked to) the costumes to represent bit all different SF chapters, and indeed use SF6 Ryu further fit that

I understand one can say they don't want to spoil new SF6 designs (as if these chars make it surely will get redesign like everyone), but there's no reason to have SF2 Chun or SFV Luke if they wanted to focus that piece on SF6 imho

Said that can be both honestly, 35th celebration thing and as hidden gimmick to foreshadow SF6 stuff

Where we disagree is the distance between "can be" and be very sure it's SF6 related 😁

Essentially would not take it THAT much as a sign, graffiti theory is surely more solid as we speak because is no doubt Capcom playing gimmick relatively to SF6

Btw i believe you about Bison returning sooner than expected, Akuma in the 22 could have been an hint elegance is secondary and they want just big names quickly

Edited by CESTUS III
9 minutes ago, CESTUS III said:

While i don't find impossible they're  pulling a gimmick to tell us first not-22 Season is going to be Alex-Sakura-Bison-Ibuki-Vega-Viper with future "AHAHi told you!" effect, i also find @Miðgarðsormopinion that this piece is made for 35th anniversary pretty solid, after all the costume/characters choice seem to point at different chapters of SF history

It's not an opinion. The drawing literally appears in the site dedicated to the anniversary, full of messages from staffers and drawing from former artists who worked to the series. That's a fact.
https://www.streetfighter.com/ja/35th/
Then... Could it hint to future SF6 characters? Sure it could.
Is Capcom going to shove Vega sama again into the series, because they won't find a better villain if they tried for their lives? OF COURSE THEY WILL, come on. One doesn't need to read the future to know it.
But Shinkiro's art is explicitly made for the anniversary, and in itself it doesn't constitute proof of anything.
As indeed did his previous art with Retsu, explicitly made for the 25th anniversary and published in Street Fighter Artwork goku in 2012. Shinkiro even commented in his own image "I wanted to draw characters I don't draw so often"... But noooo, everyone jumped to "RETSU IS COMING TO SFIV" as soon as they saw the art. Was Shinkiro  explicitly asked to insert Elena and Hugo for Ultra? Possible, but we don't know for sure - also, Retsu didn't make the cut, as didn't ROLENTO AND ELENA in SFV with the tarot cards. Some characters can  be hints, others can well be red herrings.

It's not an opinion. The drawing literally appears in the site dedicated to the anniversary, full of messages from staffers and drawing from former artists who worked to the series. That's a fact.
Is Capcom going to shove Vega sama again into the series, because they won't find a better villain if they tried for their lives? OF COURSE THEY WILL, come on. One doesn't need to read the future to know it.
But Shinkiro's art is explicitly made for the anniversary, and in itself it doesn't constitute proof of anything.
As indeed did his previous art with Retsu, explicitly made for the 25th anniversary and published in Street Fighter Artwork goku in 2012. Shinkiro even commented in his own image "I wanted to draw characters I don't draw so often"... But noooo, everyone jumped to "RETSU IS COMING TO SFIV" as soon as they saw the art. Was Shinkiro  explicitly asked to insert Elena and Hugo for Ultra? Possible, but we don't know for sure - also, Retsu didn't make the cut, as didn't ROLENTO AND ELENA in SFV with the tarot cards. Some characters can  be hints, others can well be red herrings.

I find it silly to jump to conclusions about this artwork when we already know the roster of SF6. Considering that Shinkiro has never been the main artist or character designer of a mainline game I can't look at his work as a window for things to come.

2 hours ago, Miðgarðsorm said:

<WellThere>

Missed that part

- -

Yeah, that's basically my position

Take the art piece for what it is, while at the moment we can't know if have hidden meaning or not, but till that day assume is just what we see

I see no problem in consider it may be an hint and analyze it to check if can be a realistic possibility (to pick other example i doubt Juni/Juli will ever make it), but keeping in mind "may be" is different from surely or even probably

Tbh i'm starting to think they tried to set up at least a change with Ed, but they already gave up

In SFV they never further worked on Neo Shadaloo idea, not even a stage

Now in SF6 -at least by the artwork- he does'nt seem to be that tormented, day by day bit more nazi and brainwashed, almost ready to be possessed guy that SFV made us think he would have become in future, he seem pretty relaxed and loose about dress code/uniform (basically only the golden pin that match the affiliation flag hint he's part of something)

I know go by artwork/chara design alone may be a stretch, but if anything in SF6 he seems already LESS conflicted and influenced than he used to be, as if he already won his personal struggle and gained freedom

Now either Bison spirit is trolling him to make him lower his guard, or they (capcom guys) thought the idea was'nt working and they basically let go Ed so they can invent a different thing for Bison's return... and by different i mean slight variation of usual one

Unless JP is their new attempt

As indeed did his previous art with Retsu, explicitly made for the 25th anniversary and published in Street Fighter Artwork goku in 2012. Shinkiro even commented in his own image "I wanted to draw characters I don't draw so often"... But noooo, everyone jumped to "RETSU IS COMING TO SFIV" as soon as they saw the art. Was Shinkiro  explicitly asked to insert Elena and Hugo for Ultra? Possible, but we don't know for sure - also, Retsu didn't make the cut

Yeah guess we will never know it unless some capcom guy will drop it in some random interview lol, may have been indeed all a coincidence (and Shinkiro had freedom on who add in the group) or maybe they was all 3 supposed to make it in SF4, but Retsu took it in the butt just like in Capcom Fighting Jam 🤣

Capcom Fighting Evolution - Game - View Single Trivia - VGFacts

Too bad, would be a cool char if done well

as didn't ROLENTO AND ELENA in SFV with the tarot cards. Some characters can  be hints, others can well be red herrings.

LMAO the tarots are one of my fav bs

Hard to top G being "the true Boss of SFV" though

SFV has been so

Parkour GIF on GIFER - by Thobandis

Edited by CESTUS III
4 hours ago, CESTUS III said:

Take the art piece for what it is, while at the moment we can't know if have hidden meaning or not, but till that day assume is just what we see

I see no problem in consider it may be an hint and analyze it to check if can be a realistic possibility (to pick other example i doubt Juni/Juli will ever make it), but keeping in mind "may be" is different from surely or even probably

You can take the art for what it is, or you can place it within the context of all their releases in the last 6 months and their releases in the next 6 months for example.

If you do the latter you will begin to see a pattern emerging, several characters will start recurring until they stick out. Or odd characters that normally would not receive attention suddenly pop back in a new release.

Every SF character in that release was either leaked or mentioned on the SF6 website.

Every SF character in the Fortnite release was either leaked or mentioned on the SF6 website.

I am also 100% certain that they are using the data from mobile game SF Duel to create projections on character sales in SF6. Just like they will use the character usage data from SF5. You look at all this data and compare it to their branding decisions to partially understand what Capcom are thinking.

They also don't suddenly just decide to include Retsu in an official artwork or license out toys for obscure characters. They plan these things 1-2 years in advance at least to either test the waters or to prep their audience for a product.

We can sit here and say that it is purely a coincidence that 10 of the 12 characters in the new Shinkiro commissioned piece was either leaked or is on the SF6 website, which it may very possibly be, or we can look where else these characters are popping up to see if there is a pattern from which we can infer a marketing strategy for 2022-23.

We've been watching Capcom for DECADES, and the way they treat their franchises, their audiences, has more or less remained the same. 

Edited by Daemos
1 hour ago, DarthEnderX said:

If any of you remember Noe V./BigMex's old fighting game design blogs from the 1Up/CapcomUnity days, he's still puts out blogs sometimes, and he's been doing a bunch of entries lately on all the designs that have leaked for SF6:

https://streetwriterpodcast.blogspot.com/

His musings on the SF6 redesigns certainly make them more understandable. Like Street Writer, I think the importance of bold distinct colors must never be overlooked. This is the main reason I do not fully approve of Guile, Cammy, and Ken's redesigns as they turn the characters' signature colors over their heads. Having said this, I respect Capcom taking such bold decisions. I foresee a "casual Bison" without a hat potentially happening as his default.

Most interesting among his musings is what he had to say about JP. If Capcom were not indeed not happy with how G turned out, then JP makes perfect sense for a modern archetype representing dark Capitalism/globalization especially after the pandemic. G maybe took the comedy youtube/gaia too far. JP is to G what AKI is to FANG.

I just hope they finally tie JP to the "Alphabet Company". All their minions, including G, are made up of single letters but their big boss gets two.

Edited by Daemos
7 hours ago, Daemos said:

We can sit here and say that it is purely a coincidence that 10 of the 12 characters in the new Shinkiro commissioned piece was either leaked or is on the SF6 website, which it may very possibly be, or we can look where else these characters are popping up to see if there is a pattern from which we can infer a marketing strategy for 2022-23.

"which it may very possibly be"  

Is key here, it's exactly what i said 

Only sure fact as we speak is that we have no proofs, and that by default kinda negate any other "i'm sure that" type of stuff 😉

I think these chars will make it in SF6? 

I think strong chance is all of them will make it 

I would just be hesitant to use that shinkiro art as proof of anything, beyond being a possible hint about stuff he as insider know that we don't

Take the SF4 one 

Shinkiro put there Hugo, Elena, Retsu...

Assuming really was done to foretell us USF4 characters, Retsu did'nt made it, but not only that

Hugo and Elena yes, but with them Rolento, Poison and Decapre none of wich appear in that art 

So if Shinkiro wanted to use that piece to spoiler us USF4 new chars, his score in that artwork is:

2 correct 

1 wrong 

3 missing

Skipping to SF6 other day we was fapping over the graffiti thing, graffiti got Mika, new Shinkiro art does'nt

Who's lying?

Answer is nobody, because they are'nt promising anything on official level, just playing gimmicks 

We don't need much deep proof to know popular characters have great chance to make it, just watch Akira in SFV 

If anything is more mysterious art to me try to predict when Capcom here and there show the balls to ignore fans pressure and do the "unpopular" character picks that the cast actual need as group structure to build large collection of archetypes with good variety (aka a good SF cast) 😄

They really surprised me when they did S2 throwing Akuma at fools and using rest to give SFV identity, despite being a DLC thing

Or when they recognized Honda is needed (good he's base cast now) and keept for him a slot in S4 despite game being close to its end 

Edited by CESTUS III
2 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

If any of you remember Noe V./BigMex's old fighting game design blogs from the 1Up/CapcomUnity days, he's still puts out blogs sometimes, and he's been doing a bunch of entries lately on all the designs that have leaked for SF6:

That's cool 

I liked in particular the JP part, almost everything was easy to spot but the name caught me absolutely with low guard 

I was trying to link JP with Q or G because someway similar type of name choice and mysterious aura, while they may be spot on 

JP may be just huge wink at JP Morgan lol 

Feels same as when @Miðgarðsormtold me Lily is likely straight grabbed from Peter Pan's Tiger Lily 

I thought (like i guess anybody else) that the super rich look combined with being russian was playing on oligarchs gimmick, but if they're right about the name(i think they are) the concept of money may have VERY big meaning about what the character is, specially if they're going to use him as new boss 

May be an interesting villain, high finance does'nt care about people, nations or morals, we know it's willing to destroy anybody or anything if the result is profits. 

Would be a very modern concept, even if in reality even ancient history is filled of that shit lol 

2 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

Does he have the original posts from Capcom Unity on that blog?

I think most of his original stuff went away when Capcom shut down Capcom Unity.

5 hours ago, Phantom_Miria said:

Does he have the original posts from Capcom Unity on that blog?

I think most of his original stuff went away when Capcom shut down Capcom Unity.

I believe he reposted a bunch of his Capcom Unity stuff on his blog page, yes.  If you go back through the old postings they're the ones with "A 1Up Classic" in the title.

Edited by DarthEnderX

https://sanctumsanctorumcomics.com/products/51979

STREET FGHTERS MASTERS CHUN LI #1 CVR A GENZOMAN
(W) Kinnaird, Ryan (A) Kinnaird, Ryan (C) Genzoman,
UDON ENTERTAINMENT INC
StockID: 51979 SKU: JUL222133

The strongest woman in the world- Chun-Li- stars in her own one-shot adventure! Interpol Officer Chun-Li travels to her birthplace of China- determined to put an end to a new Shadaloo scheme

Not related to SF, but I only post here anyway...

Apparently, the names of Tabasa's three cats, whom she transforms into her shoes and other objects, are Al, Ibn (not IVEN) and Sina (this last one is frequently omitted because it's the cat who transforms into her BAG). They came from eminent Islamic alchemists: Ibn (her left shoe) from Jābir ibn Ḥayyān, better known as Geber; Al (her right shoe) from Abū Bakr al Rāzī, better known as al-Razi; Sina from Ibn Sīnā, better known as Avicenna. The comical part is that... Not a single one of the parts the Japanese took for the cats is a real name in Arabic, except Sīnā... Which was actually the name of Avicenna's great-great grandfather anyway. In Arabic, ابن ibn (also written simply بن bin in the middle of a name) is "son of", thus Jābir son of Ḥayyān... ال Al is the definite article, and سینا Sīnā... Avicenna's full name was أبو علي الحسين بن عبد الله بن الحسن بن علي بن سينا البلخي البخاري Abū ʿAlī al-Ḥusayn bin ʿAbdullāh ibn al-Ḥasan bin ʿAlī bin Sīnā al-Balkhi al-Bukhari. So, Abū 'Alī al-Ḥusayn SON OF 'Abdullāh SON OF al-Ḥasan SON OF 'Alī SON OF Sīnā al-Balkhi al-Bukhari.

Obviously, nothing of all that could've been known without the Japanese admitting it in All About Warzard, so at the time アル Aru was correctly given the name "Al" and イブン Ibun was mistakenly transliterated "Iven"...

Edited by Miðgarðsorm