Stage Select

Best Ultimate Tech Talk Hang Out Loud Edition 2K

Reiraku

On 3/2/2018 at 12:17 PM, misterBee said:

Jesus the NeoSD flashcart costs more than the system itself. At least it means I won't have to buy individual carts anymore.

Reminds me of the original system. I probably could have snagged one once I started working as teenager but the games were like $200 a piece and I was like I ain't got cash for that.

On 3/2/2018 at 8:30 PM, Darc_Requiem said:

Reminds me of the original system. I probably could have snagged one once I started working as teenager but the games were like $200 a piece and I was like I ain't got cash for that.

Yeah, but if you had you could afford to buy a house or two now. The games are so damn expensive. :astonished:

On 3/3/2018 at 1:49 PM, misterBee said:

It's actually more...400 EURO for the MVS version. After shipping and everything else, the thing costs more than an Oculus Rift...

Yeah but if you are going to VR. The HTC Vive is the way to go. One of my best friends has one. It's far more versatile. You do need a decent amount of setup space though.

On 3/3/2018 at 7:45 PM, Darc_Requiem said:

Yeah but if you are going to VR. The HTC Vive is the way to go. One of my best friends has one. It's far more versatile. You do need a decent amount of setup space though.

Yeah but I live in an apartment and can't dedicate a whole room for VR...

On 3/4/2018 at 2:10 AM, misterBee said:

Yeah but I live in an apartment and can't dedicate a whole room for VR...

He shares an apartment with family. He lives out of his bedroom and actually changed up it's layout for it. He's not the most organized guy but he pulled it off. Of course, he's like the smartest person I know.

On 3/4/2018 at 8:35 PM, Darc_Requiem said:

He shares an apartment with family. He lives out of his bedroom and actually changed up it's layout for it. He's not the most organized guy but he pulled it off. Of course, he's like the smartest person I know.

Hmm...maybe I can get it to work then. Gotta make sure my bunny doesn't chew all the damn wires though...

@DarkSakul

So I bought the NeoSD from NeoSDStore and it should be arriving tomorrow. My credit card was declined, so I wired the money instead.

If you just call up your bank to tell them to accept the credit payment, you can use card. Store isn't shady -- apparently the bank they use over there (store is based in Spain) is just a pain in the ass with international payment.

Item is being shipped by UPS and should arrive tomorrow. It's probably safe to buy that PC Engine flash cart from them. I'll let you know once I get it.

I am happy with my current PC engine setup of PC Duo + Turbo Everdrive, and I have an Arcade Duo Card.

PC Engine CD games aren't hard to burn. Although I wished more games got the English Language Translation Treatment.

Also I got some Stick modding projects in the future. I going to gut the innerds of one of my Custom sticks, convert it to go off Neo Geo + Pinout, and just use project boxes for various systems.

On 3/5/2018 at 9:01 PM, DarkSakul said:

I am happy with my current PC engine setup of PC Duo + Turbo Everdrive, and I have an Arcade Duo Card.

PC Engine CD games aren't hard to burn. Although I wished more games got the English Language Translation Treatment.

Also I got some Stick modding projects in the future. I going to gut the innerds of one of my Custom sticks, convert it to go off Neo Geo + Pinout, and just use project boxes for various systems.

Honestly I'm just concerned about the fact that CD drives won't last forever. I'm trying to get SD card replacements for all my old CD-based consoles. Trying to get a PS-IO for my PS1 as well.

It's not USB at all, Thats a Switch Craft VGA pass-though with a HD15 Breakout board attached

44-334_01.jpg

I am going to put this onto a Jasen hicks Panzer Stick case.

[Edit]

I Changed my Mind, I going to Put this into a Old Hori Case instead.

A long since gutted Hori Hrap 3 I been using as a SNES Stick.

What I meant to ask was 'is it possible to create a breakout box that works with usb?'

The controller is DB15, the breakout boxes to most retro consoles I imagine are also DB15. But is there a way to create one breakout box that would work on PC or more modern consoles? That way you'd have a truly universal solution.

Oh yeah, there be a breakout box for modern systems.

I am considering using the new Brooks Mars game pad.

And if that don't pan out, I got a UFB board not being used.

I going to make Modern Systems and PC Engine Boxes first, then A Sega Genesis Breakout box.

Also if I can, make a MC Cthulhu breakout box.

On 3/7/2018 at 4:40 PM, DarkSakul said:

LOL, the Project boxes I ordered came in and they are too Big.

Not unusable, but they are twice the size I needed them too be.

Build a project box bar and mount it under your TV. It'll be like a sound bar, but instead of having speakers it'll have tons of ports to convert your stick. It'll be the ultimate docking station.

So I was going through the attic & found an abandoned project:

A Capcom Power Stick Fighter (SNES) with Sanwa OBSF-24 & JLW stick.

I'm thinking of finishing the mod, making it PS3/4 compat (Brook Fighting Board?) & giving it away to an old friend/community leader.

Problems:

The JLW has no spring or switches

I've never added LEDs alongside buttons

I haven't soldered in a while

On 3/16/2018 at 3:28 PM, kikimaru024 said:

So I was going through the attic & found an abandoned project:

A Capcom Power Stick Fighter (SNES) with Sanwa OBSF-24 & JLW stick.

I'm thinking of finishing the mod, making it PS3/4 compat (Brook Fighting Board?) & giving it away to an old friend/community leader.

Problems:

The JLW has no spring or switches

I've never added LEDs alongside buttons

I haven't soldered in a while

Should be a piece of cake. Springs and switches easy to find. LEDs are no problem as long as the pcb you go with has a place to source power from. If you don't want to mess with the PCB at all, just solder the LEDs to a battery box and hook the battery box up to a switch. Then you can keep the lights and the electronics separate from each other and have the added bonus of being able to turn on/off the lights separately!

80% of a Super Guns price is labor.

They are very tedious (but not difficult) to wire up.

If your going for Neo Geo or CPS2 consider a consolidation instead of a Super gun.

A Pico PSU and using an external video processor like the OSSC or XRGB is probbily the easiest way to go.

Full on Superguns are best with boards without interchangeable games or support for a wide number of arcade boards.

On 3/16/2018 at 7:37 PM, misterBee said:

Should be a piece of cake. Springs and switches easy to find. LEDs are no problem as long as the pcb you go with has a place to source power from. If you don't want to mess with the PCB at all, just solder the LEDs to a battery box and hook the battery box up to a switch. Then you can keep the lights and the electronics separate from each other and have the added bonus of being able to turn on/off the lights separately!

Funny thing, it actually has a battery box built-in! Might use that so. 

Going to plan it out & then order. 

Since I'm not in a massive rush (I want to have it ready for August) I'll use Akishop & take advantage of the Yen again.

• 2 weeks later...

Hacked a Tiny Arcade Pac man 

I8xghKP.jpgDTp5lQS.jpg

I had the on board jumper removed and soldered in a  4 position switch.

This allows me to play all the Tiny Arcade games and instead of the one preset on the Cab.

Here is a demonstration of the other games I got to come up

G1XxNFQ.jpgorqNZxX.jpg

The Four games are Ms. Pac-Man, Pac-Man, Galaxian, and Space Invaders 

Edited by DarkSakul

I always wanted a Mini arcade machine ever since I first saw those old Coleco Mini arcades in the 80s with their vacuum fluorescent displays.

news_image_5601_long1.jpg

Those things are primitive by today's standards, but back then they just seem so cool to have a mini arcade machine.
The Tiny Arcade is Smaller, and the screen isn't all that good. But I saw the hack and felt I had to give it a shot. 

1 hour ago, DarkSakul said:

Just got a new Laptop, Its a Acer Nitro 5 AN515-51

Man Acer whats up with your Power Button app?

It is (currently) my only issue with the Laptop. 

Power button app?

Every time I buy a new computer I format the thing and install vanilla Windows on it.

Yep, power button app.

cRpjYjl.png

I want to just go uninstall it but I want to do some research behind it first.

Let me self know what I am getting into.

The app pops up when I hit the power button too. 

The normal, Sleep, Restart and shut down works fine in the Start Menu.

By the way I use classic shell for the Start Menu, as I don't like the Metro Start menu brought in by Win 8.

It actually overrides whats the Power options do in the control panel. And Disabling it does not break the OS, but you get a  hard off instead of the OS shutting down to off. 

But I found a work around, going to the power options in Windows, making the setting for the power button to shut down.

Then in the app, notice how it said "Perform this action (Sleep) automatically and don't show me this message again" 

(Sleep) changes to (Shutdown) with that adjustment with Windows, and then I clicked the check box so the App does not come back up. 

I Don't need a sleep button as the laptop set to sleep when the lid is closed anyways. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I went ahead and installed a USB-GDROM and Pico PSU, Aftermarket clear Shell and LEDs into my Dreamcast
Even have my first foray into 3D printing, didn’t came out as expected but it works for what I want (the bottom part of the tray did not print).

iyq8edN.jpg

8WYGcpB.jpg

Also I found PNY brand USB flash drives such, stick to SanDisk 

1 hour ago, DarkSakul said:

I went ahead and installed a USB-GDROM and Pico PSU, Aftermarket clear Shell and LEDs into my Dreamcast
Even have my first foray into 3D printing, didn’t came out as expected but it works for what I want (the bottom part of the tray did not print).

Also I found PNY brand USB flash drives such, stick to SanDisk 

Nice!  I've been thinking of putting a USB-GDROM in my Dreamcast as well!  I've heard the mod causes the console to heat up a lot though -- can you confirm?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
13 hours ago, KingTubb said:

Anyone know the turn around on the butterbomber from order placed to shipment?

I thought he ships on Mondays and Thursdays. I'm pretty sure my wife got me a butterbomber for my birthday, but she says it hasn't even shipped yet and she put in the order 2 weeks ago

I know he's been working on that IL Optical lever, but I don't think that's enough to back up an order for 2 weeks. I'd probably email him about it and see the status of the order. There is a chance that he'd forgot about it. Or your wife ordered a custom color and there might be a chance that he's still waiting for the material.

That reminds me, with how images work here
I need to find a new image hosting site again so I can share projects and such. 

Not that long ago I refurbished a DMG GameBoy (a black play it loud model) which I bought busted up.
Someone botched a Screen replacement install, left out half the screws and the damn speaker. 

But after a new screen (Funny Playing IPS screen)  and I/O Board, new Power Regulator Board, New Speaker with a Audio Amp bypass, a USB C chargeable lithium battery, cleaning out any battery corrosion, and a glass screen cover this thing is pretty beast. 

I also did a screen swap and upgrade to a modern TFT screen on a Game Boy Color (Atomic Purple) 

It's already posted in the Video Game thread, but I felt it would be at home here too

So apparently we might get user swappable plates, and there a standard PC style NMVe M.2  slot.
The default starter SSD is soldered on board, which gives me mixed feelings, but having a standard user expandable bay is better than Microsoft's approach with their Xbox.