Stage Select

Best Ultimate Tech Talk Hang Out Loud Edition 2K

Reiraku

4 minutes ago, globe said:

More shots of the new Hori Fightstick (just scroll down to the comments)

Looks alright, but come on. It's 2020 and it's priced $200 can hard wire cables stop being the standard in commercial arcade sticks?

What we really need is more small retail sticks.  They're all so big now. =[

2 hours ago, rukawa_kaede said:

I like it, it looks smaller and lighter than the real arcade pro. N Hayabusa which I find too big and heavy for lap play. 

Yeah but it's no Fighting Stick v3:

hori-fs-v3.jpg

Or T6 Wireless:

s-l640.jpg

Or the GOAT:

pa.101990.1.jpg?o2qevv

These sticks are such a good size.  Big enough to use, small enough to carry in almost any bag.  Big TE-style sticks are cool but not nearly as convenient as these sticks.

22 hours ago, misterBee said:

Yeah but it's no Fighting Stick v3:

hori-fs-v3.jpg

Or T6 Wireless:

s-l640.jpg

Or the GOAT:

pa.101990.1.jpg?o2qevv

These sticks are such a good size.  Big enough to use, small enough to carry in almost any bag.  Big TE-style sticks are cool but not nearly as convenient as these sticks.

you mean this

DSC01117.JPG?width=1030&height=684

EX2 is cool and all but it's a little too small for fighters and you can't mod the stick without heavy modification. I have it modded with sanwa buttons but i can't find a picture of it. it's at a friends house right now.

Edited by rukawa_kaede
7 minutes ago, DarkSakul said:

So I was thinking should I start rewriting and porting over any guides from SRK TT or not. 
Not like anything is property of SRK there, its all community developed stuff. 

I think it's a great idea!

It's been real quiet in the tech forum since for a long time I was the only one who did anything hardware-related.  Having some of the important guides moved over may encourage more people to use it.

4 hours ago, rukawa_kaede said:

EX2 is cool and all but it's a little too small for fighters and you can't mod the stick without heavy modification. I have it modded with sanwa buttons but i can't find a picture of it. it's a friends house right now.

1 hour ago, DarkSakul said:

EX2 was a bitch and a half to mod, and I wouldn't even bother. 
V3 is a little better, but that joystick isn't easy to swap. 

I recall both the V3 and the EX2 required you to file off button hole tabs, but it's not a terribly big deal.  It's worth it for that small form factor.  EX2 is great because it's small but it still has a metal bottom plate for extra weight.  For the V3 and Tekken 6 sticks I add rolls of pennies in there for weight.

I miss my old EX2:

LxPXzxO.jpg

3 hours ago, misterBee said:

Having some of the important guides moved over may encourage more people to use it.

Moved over the What stick to buy guide and the some of the highlights of rtdzign RJ45 Guide.
I decided to rewrite the Dual Modding guide as Nerrage's post on SRK TT is hard to read, especially when he gets into the theory of operation. 
I am going to assume people know basic electrical wiring. 

1 minute ago, DarkSakul said:

Moved over the What stick to buy guide and the some of the highlights of rtdzign RJ45 Guide.
I decided to rewrite the Dual Modding guide as Nerrage's post on SRK TT is hard to read, especially when he gets into the theory of operation. 
I am going to assume people know basic electrical wiring. 

Please let me know if you need help formatting.

23 hours ago, DarkSakul said:

EX2 was a bitch and a half to mod, and I wouldn't even bother. 
V3 is a little better, but that joystick isn't easy to swap. 

The Injustice stick was nice to mod, will take Sanwa parts just fine, anything else requires the Dremel. 

it's easy to swap a sanwa stick in the V3 but if you want to use a seimitsu stick you need to cave a hole on the back of the stick back wall to make it fit just like i did.

DSC01119.JPG

22 hours ago, misterBee said:

I recall both the V3 and the EX2 required you to file off button hole tabs, but it's not a terribly big deal.  It's worth it for that small form factor.  EX2 is great because it's small but it still has a metal bottom plate for extra weight.  For the V3 and Tekken 6 sticks I add rolls of pennies in there for weight.

I miss my old EX2:

I still have my EX2 in the closet. If you want it, you can have it. It's the least I can do for what you've done for our community.

So I've been waiting on AMD's GPU announcements before pulling the trigger on a  new GPU.  Gonna put the new GPU in my main rig and move my GTX 1080 to the rig in my living room.

Unfortunately that means I can't play games on my living room rig since it only has integrated graphics.  I got tired of waiting and got myself a 50ft optical HDMI cable and ran it from my PC to my TV.

Works great!  Added bonus of using it as a third monitor for my main PC if I want.  Handy for showing people things or watching movies -- don't need to access my movie drives over network now.

I know it’s not technically a tech talk thing, but I need help with my computer. Yesterday I set it to do a memory check and chkdsk on restart. Turn it on today and it was fine running the memory test fine so I left, but it’s been on a blank screen for about 9 hours now. 

Is it safe to turn the power off? During the test it specifically said not to do this, and I know not to do it during chkdsk, but I have no indication that it’s doing anything. 

1 hour ago, Vhozite said:

I know it’s not technically a tech talk thing, but I need help with my computer. Yesterday I set it to do a memory check and chkdsk on restart. Turn it on today and it was fine running the memory test fine so I left, but it’s been on a blank screen for about 9 hours now. 

Is it safe to turn the power off? During the test it specifically said not to do this, and I know not to do it during chkdsk, but I have no indication that it’s doing anything. 

How big is the drive?  Do you have your important things backed up?  If you reboot while chkdsk is actually doing something you can fuck up your drive.

1 hour ago, misterBee said:

How big is the drive?  Do you have your important things backed up?  If you reboot while chkdsk is actually doing something you can fuck up your drive.

My internal HD is 800GB iirc, with around half of that being used. 

And yeah everything I care about is backed up on my external HD

1 minute ago, Vhozite said:

My internal HD is 800GB iirc, with around half of that being used. 

And yeah everything I care about is backed up on my external HD

If you have everything safely backed up then just turn the computer off.  If the drive gets fucked it doesn't matter.  It sounded like your drive was dying anyway.  Order a SSD and get that PC working properly ASAP.

24 minutes ago, misterBee said:

If you have everything safely backed up then just turn the computer off.  If the drive gets fucked it doesn't matter.  It sounded like your drive was dying anyway.  Order a SSD and get that PC working properly ASAP.

Only thing is that my external HD is plugged in and the light on it is flashing. Is it still “safe” to hit the red button?

Edited by Vhozite
2 hours ago, Vhozite said:

im looking at this laptop, and it says it has an available hard drive bay. So I can add another SSD if I want? 

Based on a real brief search, there seems to be an option to add a second nVME drive (it's a drive that looks like a large ass stick of gum basically) to the laptop along with the option for a 2.5in drive as you previously stated. Here are the instructions for putting that together based on the model number that came up from your link:

https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/63012/~/hard-drive-installation-instructions-for-the-acer-nitro-an515-54 

Edited by YourFavGrandpa
🙂
19 minutes ago, YourFavGrandpa said:

Based on a real brief search, there seems to be an option to add a second nVME drive (it's a drive that looks like a large ass stick of gum basically) to the laptop along with the option for a 2.5in drive as you previously stated. Here are the instructions for putting that together based on the model number that came up from your link:

https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/63012/~/hard-drive-installation-instructions-for-the-acer-nitro-an515-54 

Thanks man 

Got my hands on a LeEco LeGFS-201 (which has the same body as the Mad Catz E.G.O) and it's actually pretty nice. Good size, good weight, customization seems to be easy. I can understand people hating on Mad Catz for not going with an original design, but at least they chose a good Chinese OEM case. Although using that """universal""" PCB is pretty lame, also the price tag is pretty wack.

22 hours ago, DarkSakul said:

More reasons why I never, ever will get a Apple Phone.

This Anti-repair Bull shit has went to a whole new level, also they can fuck off not including a charger needing a connector not many people have available. 

I watched JerryRigEverything's teardown of the 12 Pro, and he rendered the phone useless while opening the phone up. If I was paying as much for an iPhone as a lot of the people that buy these yearly or every two/three years, I'd be very upset if I had to drive 2 hours plus to the nearest Apple store to have the phone fixed.

I really like this series. It shows us the experience a normie has to go through when buying a pre-built

Has Dell gotten worse? From watching the first and third video they do their absolute hardest to be as unhelpful as they can. All this series did was reinforce my dislike for that company. 

CyberPower seems to be shitty too. No one there seems to want to actually do their job. 

22 minutes ago, YourFavGrandpa said:

I'm kinda curious as to how the M1 chip will perform in actual games, if it does at all.

It runs on the same OS as iPads and iPhones, and if Apple Arcade is any indicator.
Then even if the GPU is any good, it matter not if it does not have any games. 

And I don't mean fortnite as everything runs that, oh wait that case is on going and Fortnite been kicked from the apple store. 

13 hours ago, DarkSakul said:

It runs on the same OS as iPads and iPhones, and if Apple Arcade is any indicator.
Then even if the GPU is any good, it matter not if it does not have any games. 

And I don't mean fortnite as everything runs that, oh wait that case is on going and Fortnite been kicked from the apple store. 

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for the time being. Once the new M1 Macbooks start arriving and reviews start hitting, we'll see our earlier discussion come to light more than likely.

Fortnite can still eat my whole ass, fuck that game.

18 minutes ago, misterBee said:

The new Apple M1 CPU is very impressive:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16252/mac-mini-apple-m1-tested

People have always been saying ARM is the future -- wonder how long it is before my main rig is using an ARM chip.

With the Nvidia purchase, pending final approval, people seem less bullish on ARM. Nvidia isn't exactly known for open platforms. I keep hearing about RISC-V now, depends on how things go with ARM.

Not quite sure if this fits but it's about using tech to play fighting games.

Looking to pick up a TV over black friday but basically haven't bought a TV in years now and not quite au fait with stuff about input lag besides knowing its something to be bothered about Are the TVs here worth looking out for for fighting games or am I looking at going after 1ms full stop?

Just asking because I'm trying to get 4K but apparently the viewing angles on the BenQs already on sale on amazon are kind of ass and the extent of my input lag knowledge was "BenQ good" lol

https://displaylag.com/best-low-input-lag-tvs-gaming-by-gamers/