Stage Select

Best Ultimate Tech Talk Hang Out Loud Edition 2K


Reiraku

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Iduno said:

Not quite sure if this fits but it's about using tech to play fighting games.

Looking to pick up a TV over black friday but basically haven't bought a TV in years now and not quite au fait with stuff about input lag besides knowing its something to be bothered about Are the TVs here worth looking out for for fighting games or am I looking at going after 1ms full stop?

 

Just asking because I'm trying to get 4K but apparently the viewing angles on the BenQs already on sale on amazon are kind of ass and the extent of my input lag knowledge was "BenQ good" lol

 

https://displaylag.com/best-low-input-lag-tvs-gaming-by-gamers/

Here are some helpful guides

 

https://www.cnet.com/news/best-tv-for-gaming-of-2020-low-input-lag-high-picture-quality/

 

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/video-gaming

Link to comment

Right before the other site blew the fuck up and I migrated away, I bought a 360 VLX. Yesterday it arrived in the mail!

spacer.png


Highlights:

The box was neatly packaged. All of the stuff came with it!
The stick works (tested in joy.cpl and in SFV)

I'd love to gut the stick and put a UFB in it, but I cannot bring myself to do that to such nice a stick. I may get one of the new Brook converters after the holidays for 360 to PS4 use and hope for offline events to come back next year.

 

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2020 at 11:29 PM, YourFavGrandpa said:

I'd love to gut the stick and put a UFB in it, but I cannot bring myself to do that to such nice a stick. I may get one of the new Brook converters after the holidays for 360 to PS4 use and hope for offline events to come back next year.

 

Putting in a UFB is worth it.  You can probably save the old PCB too!

Link to comment
  • 5 weeks later...

I got a pretty good deal on a Qanba Obsidian on eBay and I think the seller was a little mad that the bidding didn't go higher. He sent the package in an oversized boxed and as shipping material is was pretty much cut up scrap cardboard. I can't be too mad since he actually sent the item (undamaged) and shipping was free. Thought it was funny.

Link to comment
12 hours ago, globe said:

I got a pretty good deal on a Qanba Obsidian on eBay and I think the seller was a little mad that the bidding didn't go higher. He sent the package in an oversized boxed and as shipping material is was pretty much cut up scrap cardboard. I can't be too mad since he actually sent the item (undamaged) and shipping was free. Thought it was funny.

As long as it gets there in one piece -- some friends of mine ordered a PS2 on eBay once and it came in a box that was too large for it and wrapped in a single thin sheet of bubble wrap...

Link to comment
On 12/8/2020 at 12:57 PM, misterBee said:

Putting in a UFB is worth it.  You can probably save the old PCB too!

From what I heard and understood, the old EZMod kits for the PS4 VLX will work here too; minus touchpad access and some other stuff. I took a month's break from anything stick related to focus on EOY stuff for work, and now that I have a PS5 in-house and will potentially have a crapton of time to kill; if I don't get a Q1 contract renewal for my client, I may look into this a little further. 

Edited by YourFavGrandpa
blah
Link to comment

spacer.png

Look what I did. 

After not being able to find my installation USB drive for a OS reinstall, I ended up making  new thumb drives up for Install and Recovery, using Keytags to label the drives so I can identify them easily. The Extra Install drive is going to a friend as he starting a PC build soon, and I am going to be helping them out. 

 

Link to comment

I have a similar setup to you @DarkSakul, except I have a 240gb SSD on a USB 3.1 dongle for installing Windows, then I have a couple of other drives I use. I have a 32gb drive that's used just for Windows PE and my backup software; then I have a 256gb drive with my drivers, game launchers, etc etc on there. I also have my 4gb drive that's used for DBAN and updating BIOS between my computer and the missus' PC.

Link to comment
5 hours ago, DarkSakul said:

My cousin's husband just told me about Ventoy, I need to look into it so I don't need to reformat the boot drive any more. 
It's appears to be it's own bootable environment and you only need to swap the ISO or EFI files for OS updates.

Also Ventoy could do multiple OS installs. 

 

https://www.ventoy.net/en/index.html

Sounds neat if you have a pile of liveUSB drives that you want to consolidate into a single drive, or try out new distros constantly.

Link to comment

Anybody in here mess with Raspberry Pi much?

 

Finally got everything I needed to boot mine yesterday and it won't boot. Pretty sure that my EEPROM is corrupted, considering the pi's reaction to trying to boot, and how it acts when I turn it on without a SD card inserted, and from what I gather this is a pretty common problem with RPI4 model B.

 

Anyone have any advice? 

Link to comment
On 1/14/2021 at 8:18 AM, KingTubb said:

Anybody in here mess with Raspberry Pi much?

 

Finally got everything I needed to boot mine yesterday and it won't boot. Pretty sure that my EEPROM is corrupted, considering the pi's reaction to trying to boot, and how it acts when I turn it on without a SD card inserted, and from what I gather this is a pretty common problem with RPI4 model B.

 

Anyone have any advice? 

I don't own a Pi, but it looks like if the boot code in the EEPROM is corrupted you can just try replacing or updating it:

 

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/booteeprom.md

 

I'm sure there must also be Raspberry Pi forums or something that will have boot files you can update your EEPROM with.

Link to comment
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

I downloaded a couple of watch faces and played around with Bixby. I also made some phone calls with it and the speaker on the watch is absolute crap. I wouldn't use it unless you have to answer a quick call.

Get this, I have 2 Bluetooth headphones, so I'm always wirelessly listening. I have wireless chargers for my phone and watch. I literally have 0 cables to worry about with my phone, watch and audio solutions. It's glorious.

Link to comment
  • 3 weeks later...

Never used DHL, but damn it was pretty fast getting stuff from China to the USA. Order some switches not even a week ago and it arrived yesterday. Here's some MX buttons, just playing around with it.

 

cXVuZot.jpg

 

Kailh Speed Gold - Kind of feels like regular Sanwa buttons.

 

Kailh Box Silent Pinks - Feels like the Gen 2 Sanwa silent buttons.

 

Gateron Black Ink V2 - The ones I went with for the other 5 buttons. I'd put the feel in the middle of Sanwa and Seimitsu. 

 

Personally I don't really see the hype behind mechanical buttons nor do I see the worth of paying extra. But they sure look cool. I got my switches from KBDfans if anyone is curious. Shipping was like 18 bucks, but if you order from their aliexpress shop then you do have an option for free, but it'll take a month instead of a couple days. The PCB itself is from ParadiseArcadeShop

Link to comment
14 hours ago, globe said:

Personally I don't really see the hype behind mechanical buttons nor do I see the worth of paying extra. But they sure look cool. I got my switches from KBDfans if anyone is curious. Shipping was like 18 bucks, but if you order from their aliexpress shop then you do have an option for free, but it'll take a month instead of a couple days. The PCB itself is from ParadiseArcadeShop

HOT-SWAPPABLE buttons that support the MX switch form factor are invaluable.  I prefer Gamerfinger button shells that allow for hot-swapping MX switches to the custom PCB style sold by ParadiseArcadeShop.  The Gamerfinger solution is much closer to how hot-swappable mechanical keyboards work.

 

By swapping out different types of switches you can make buttons feel radically different, and the fact that these types of switches are readily available means you never have to worry about running out.

 

I already build mechanical keyboards as a hobby and I will never go back to using Sanwa/Seimitsu switches.   The flexibility and easy access to spare parts is too good to give up.

Link to comment
  • 3 months later...

Is there any place that are doing mods for the duel sense controller? I went to battle beaver customs but they are sold out of their stuff (which is on their third wave). Though they are offering their d-buttons as a separate purchase to mod myself. I definitely want to get micro switches on the face and shoulder buttons as I want mouse clicks. 

Link to comment
On 8/1/2021 at 10:17 AM, Hawkingbird said:

Is there any place that are doing mods for the duel sense controller? I went to battle beaver customs but they are sold out of their stuff (which is on their third wave). Though they are offering their d-buttons as a separate purchase to mod myself. I definitely want to get micro switches on the face and shoulder buttons as I want mouse clicks. 

I know of one other place doing stuff you describe in Evil Controllers, but buying that level of customization is not cheap.

Link to comment
2 hours ago, YourFavGrandpa said:

I know of one other place doing stuff you describe in Evil Controllers, but buying that level of customization is not cheap.

I looked them up and definitely not what I'm looking for. All their mods are geared for FPS players. 

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think this belongs here too

 

 Someone reversed Engineered the GBA Motherboard


Link to full article: https://www.retrorgb.com/gba-motherboard-reverse-engineered.html
 

Quote

 

AGZmotherboard.jpg

 

Developer Zekfoo has recently launched a github page for a reverse-engineered Game Boy Advance motherboard.  The design is based off the more streamlined GBA SP motherboard, but is a drop-in replacement for the original GBA motherboard.  The purpose of the design is to improve some of the shortcomings of the original, using mostly off-the-shelf parts;  You’ll still need the proprietary GBA chips to use it.  This is not going to be something made available fo purchase (at least not yet), but hopefully the project will eventually be open sourced.

 

Project Link:  https://github.com/Zekfoo/AGZ

 

 

 

 

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
  • Create New...
Stage Select