Stage Select

The Castlevania/Bloodstained Thread: Whip It Good

6 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

I still need to find the new area in the main Bloodstained game. I forgot about it as Classic Mode has gotten all my attention. 

I haven't touched that area yet either, been way more into the classic style CV games lately. Did you finish classic mode in RotN yet?

On 2/22/2021 at 4:27 PM, Camacho said:

I haven't touched that area yet either, been way more into the classic style CV games lately. Did you finish classic mode in RotN yet?

Nah not yet. I probably would have by now but every time I play it, I start from the beginning and I'm still figuring out tech and tricks to beat parts of it. Stage 3 gave me a lot of trouble, but I've gotten better at it and I figured out that Holy Water decimates the doppelgangers. I have a save for stage 5 but like I said, I've been going back to the beginning every time because I'm trying to get good. 

5KoBVUw.gif

For all the Metroidvania lovers, here is a new game currently on development: Plague Huntress.

Plague Huntress is an action-platformer focused on exploration and inspired by the 90’s classic Metroidvanias. Take on the role of Leora as she traverses a city ravaged by a mysterious plague. Fight hordes of monsters and uncover the secrets of the blight.

Keep and eye out for this new Metroidvania!

For more info, check the website:

http://barefeetgames.com/plaguehuntress/#footerdiv

I like how agile the character is, jumps high, dashes far.

Edited by AriesWarlock

I think that is the first time ive ever seen a game described as a Metroidvania, I watch the trailer, and came away thinking "Wow...That...That actually looks like a real Metroidvania."

Like...it looks like it actually hits all my personal marks for what a Metroodvania would actually be. 

Bravo guys. Bravo. I'm legit impressed. 

Edited by RSG3

guess I'm gonna have to try this game now

Mighty Fight Federation adds Miriam from Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night this spring

“Hello, this is Iga. I am pleased to announce that Miriam has been included in Mighty Fight Federation! Miriam is the protagonist of my exploration-heavy side-scrolling action game Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. I am very excited to see what kind of fighting style she’ll bring to the table. Oh, and if you haven’t heard of Bloodstained, please check it out as well~ I wish you all have tons of fun playing both works.”

Mighty Fight Federation is available now on PS5 and PS4, so you can join the action while waiting for Miriam’s debut later this year.

GorgeousSingleBeaver-small.gif

51000477003_303e6d6dec_h.jpg

51001293477_e7a714aca5_h.jpg

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/03/04/bloodstaineds-miriam-joins-3d-arena-battler-mighty-fight-federation/

Man, Miriam is popping up EVERYWHERE.

Finally got to the last battle in Classic Mode last night but am yet to beat it. Stage 5 gets nasty in that upward tower section. The Dullahan heads have a different trajectory where they dip lower and don't move as far forward as Medusa heads would. If they were Medusas I'd have gotten through it no problem, but man, those damn Dullahan heads... 😂

Such lovely games they are. I need to go back to them and finish them. The two difficulty always seemed on par with the Megaman series. I wish I was a bit younger, because greater youth and video games usually comes with much more patience and a strong attention span to stay consistent with me, by never withdrawing from something so challenging. 

18 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

Man, Miriam is popping up EVERYWHERE.

Finally got to the last battle in Classic Mode last night but am yet to beat it. Stage 5 gets nasty in that upward tower section. The Dullahan heads have a different trajectory where they dip lower and don't move as far forward as Medusa heads would. If they were Medusas I'd have gotten through it no problem, but man, those damn Dullahan heads... 😂

How are you liking the music? Was one of my favorite things about classic mode, personally. You should give CotM2 a spin when you're done with classic mode.

5 hours ago, Camacho said:

How are you liking the music? Was one of my favorite things about classic mode, personally. You should give CotM2 a spin when you're done with classic mode.

I dig it so far, especially the level 2 music. I'll confess I haven't been paying as much attention to it because I've been trying to get through it all.

1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

I don't understand the Sonia Belmont love at all. 

Though there was a girl named Sonia Belmont iny class in 6th grade who was pretty cute as I recall but still. Don't get the Sonia Belmont love. 

What's not to love? The very first of the vampire hunters. Has innate cool supernatural powers. Defeated Alucard.

You don't like cool The Tragic Prince track.

You don't like the new cool deflect mechanic in SS.

No, @DoctaMario, it is US who don't understand you!!!!!!!!!

8 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

What's not to love? The very first of the vampire hunters. Has innate cool supernatural powers. Defeated Alucard.

You don't like cool The Tragic Prince track.

You don't like the new cool deflect mechanic in SS.

No, @DoctaMario, it is US who don't understand you!!!!!!!!!

Lol I don't even understand myself half the time 😂 

Nah she's the hero in what I would consider to be easily the worst Castlevania game ever made and has a goofy plotline where she fucks an asexual half vampire to create the greatest bloodline of vampire Hunters ever and there's no information on her other than that. Like I said, still don't get it unless it's because she's a chick Belmont and people really are they brain damaged that that makes her worthy of the kind of love that drives someone to create what is actually a pretty decent sprite for her.  

When did I say I didn't like Tragic Prince?? It took me some time to warm up to it at first but I like it now. But I will never consider that guard break mechanic any good in that SamSho game. I spent the better part of 2 days trying to explain to some clown on reddit that it's a bad mechanic and contrary to his belief that it actually cuts down on mindgames. Now I know what Viscant felt like in that parry thread 😂

Edited by DoctaMario

It's a Castlevania game, and on Gameboy at that. How much plot can we expect to have by then? lol. She was gonna be the protagonist of that Dreamcast game. The game was gonna take place right after the the very first Castlevania, so she was probably have more lore about her developed.

We'll never have it now 😔

Good thing you changed your mind on Tragic Prince. I wouldn't want to ban you from this thread!!!!

Edited by AriesWarlock
52 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

It's a Castlevania game, and on Gameboy at that. How much plot can we expect to have by then? lol. She was gonna be the protagonist of that Dreamcast game. The game was gonna take place right after the the very first Castlevania, so she was probably have more lore about her developed.

We'll never have it now 😔

Good thing you changed your mind on Tragic Prince. I wouldn't want to ban you from this thread!!!!

Tbh I've always thought that Resurrection game looked a ton like the 64 games and nobody seems to like those (I love them!) so I doubt anyone would be all that hepped up about the game if they'd actually made it. There were GameBoy games that had decent stories, it's not even the lack of story itself, just that the story they have is absolutely ridiculous given what we know about Alucard in SoTN. People stanning for Sonia is like people complaining that Grant isn't in the Netflix when nobody gave a fuck about him in CV3. It seems like some hipster bs to be all about these characters that really aren't terribly important in the grand scheme of things, but what do I know?

WITH THAT SAID....

I actually found Grant to be the most useful of the partners in CV3, and I'm talking North America version Grant. Not only was his mobility a boon but that little knife he was was so fast, especially if you had a controller with turbo on it, you could go right up to a bone pillar or axe knight, crouch down and knife them to death while their projectiles flew right over your head. Plus I loved the clock tower stage you found him in. I'd say Sypha was probably overall the best parner and Alucard to be borderline useless other than his bat ability. He couldn't even fire his weapon while on stairs.

Edited by DoctaMario
2 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

I don't understand the Sonia Belmont love at all. 

Though there was a girl named Sonia Belmont iny class in 6th grade who was pretty cute as I recall but still. Don't get the Sonia Belmont love. 

She has a cool design and I like the name Sonia. 

All got for positives for her and what I like about her. 

The directors cut release of CV64 was pretty dope and I wanted to play that DC CV Pretty badly. 

Edited by RSG3

Yeah, Legacy of Darkness was pretty good. Not what I'd call "great" today, but I enjoyed it a lot at the time. It had some really cool atmosphere, and actually fighting vampires other than Dracula regularly was nice. Also, the levels were much more interesting than both PS2 CV's, especially LoI. IGA was so focused on making the combat more fun than the N64 games that they seemed to ignore level design almost entirely. 

35 minutes ago, Camacho said:

Yeah, Legacy of Darkness was pretty good. Not what I'd call "great" today, but I enjoyed it a lot at the time. It had some really cool atmosphere, and actually fighting vampires other than Dracula regularly was nice. Also, the levels were much more interesting than both PS2 CV's, especially LoI. IGA was so focused on making the combat more fun than the N64 games that they seemed to ignore level design almost entirely. 

I actually like the level design of CV64 better than in Legacy of Darkness. They remixed the levels but the layouts in the first game seem better thought out and are overall tighter, and I didn't think a lot of the new levels were quite up to snuff, but maybe I need to replay it. The 64 games had decent combat, it was basically 2d Castlevania combat, and while I get why people don't like it, it makes a lot of sense why they did it that way. The atmosphere in those games was second to none though, and I used to love sight seeing through the first person camera, something I don't think I've really done until Bloodborne. 

54 minutes ago, Camacho said:

Well LOI has some pretty fun combat so at least it succeed in its goals for the most part lol. It is too bad LOIs level design is so bland and repetitive because of that was on point to that game would probably be considered a classic. 

21 hours ago, RSG3 said:

Well LOI has some pretty fun combat so at least it succeed in its goals for the most part lol. It is too bad LOIs level design is so bland and repetitive because of that was on point to that game would probably be considered a classic. 

Yeah I played the shit out of LoI and still enjoyed it, but if they'd made good levels it would have easily been a top 5 CV game imo. 

• 2 weeks later...

Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth is now available for PC via Steam for $19.99, publisher Playism and developers Why So Serious? and Team Ladybug announced.

The 2D exploration action game first launched in Early Access in March 2020. The full release adds stages five and six to the game, as well as various other additions.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1203630/Record_of_Lodoss_WarDeedlit_in_Wonder_Labyrinth/

Story

Deedlit suddenly awakens in an unfamiliar place. Where is she? Why is she here? With no one around to reply, there is only silence. Deedlit begins to wander, in search of answers…

In this full release, the mysteries of the labyrinth into which Deedlit has wandered will be revealed. The heart-wrenching climax leads directly into the latest installment in the series, Record of Lodoss War: Diadem of the Covenant…

Game System

• Use spirits, various weapons, and magical powers to make your way through a sprawling maze in this action-exploration game.
  • Defeat enemies to use “Soul Stream” to power up your spirits and gain the upper hand in battle.
  • Maneuver through all sorts of gimmicks using your arrows and the spirits “Sylph” and “Salamander” and their special elemental abilities.

Full Release Update Contents

Stages 5 and 6 have been added to the full release, completing this six-stage 2D action-exploration title.

The story finally reaches its climax. With a slew of tough enemies and hardcore bosses even more powerful than those in the preceding stages, you won’t be able to put the controller down.

One boss of Stage 5 is the Emperor Beld of Marmo, also known as the “Dark Emperor.” Infamous as one of the best swordsmen in Lodoss, he’ll use his amazing powers and prowess with his blade to stop Deedlit in her tracks.

Featuring all-new weapons and magic, like the magical blade of Lodoss known as “Soul Crusher.” Chock full of stage gimmicks requiring spirit powers and arrows to clear, your bow and arrow skills will truly be put to the test.

Unexpectedly forced to face off against previously appearing friends such as Etoh, Slayn, Ghim, and Woodchuck, Deedlit will finally find out the truth behind their words of warning and encouragement.

Also, in response to the overwhelming feedback received from players around the world during Early Access, the following contents have been included in this update.

• Easier map location checking
  • Fixed explosions after unpausing
  • Cubes released by enemies are now opaque, improving visibility
  • Stun conditions updated
  • Rooms containing bosses can now be checked from outside
  • Difficulty levels of existing stages have been adjusted to better fit the entire game
  • Player-character afterimage can now be turned off in settings
  • A large number of bug fixes, fine tuning, and other adjustments are also included.
  • Thank you all so much for all your support and requests.

On 2/16/2021 at 12:11 PM, misterBee said:

Normally copy/pasting paragraph breaks works just fine, but being able to copy over block quotes complete with formatting is definitely not standard.  I am not sure how Discourse does it.  I will look into finding something similar for this site.

@misterBeeI tried copypasta on Xenoforo to check, and just like with Discourse, the formatting was kept:

https://8wayrun.com/threads/the-metroidvania-thread.21288/post-815388

Are we on the last version of Vanilla software?

Edited by AriesWarlock
2 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

@misterBeeI tried copypasta on Xenoforo to check, and just like with Discourse, the formatting was kept:

https://8wayrun.com/threads/the-metroidvania-thread.21288/post-815388

Are we on the last version of Vanilla software?

lol we haven't been on Vanilla for years.  We use Invision Community.

Unfortunately copying formatting wholesale from other sites isn't something that seems like it's supported.  I feel like Xenforo and Discourse are the exception to the rule in that regard.

1 hour ago, HD-Man said:

Kinda want to get into these games, are they pretty decent on Switch? 

Depends on what you're looking for. Castlevania Collection on Switch is a good place for the classic games, though none of the metroirvania ones have been released on there. Bloodstained is better than almost all of them though and it's running pretty well after all thenpatches. I'd say Bloodstained is probably the best fuck for the buck as far as a legit metroidvania experience on Switch is concerned though. 

Pixel art Metroidvania game The Skylia Prophecy coming to PS4, Xbox One, and Switch on April 23

Currently available for PC.

Publisher and developer 7 Raven Studios, and developer Ezekiel Rage will release pixel art Metroidvania game The Skylia Prophecy for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Switch on April 23, the companies announced. Nintendo eShop and Microsoft pre-orders will begin on April 16.

The Skylia Prophecy first launched for PC via Steam in November 2020.

About

The Skylia Prophecy is a story-driven, side-scrolling action RPG set in a medieval fantasy world with more than a dozen locations. Lead Mirenia in a quest to vanquish the evil she unleashed and upgrade her with a level and magic system.

The Skylia Prophecy features three difficulty levels, multi-language, and vibration support. Battle hordes of monsters as you fight against powerful bosses in ancient dungeons and solve exploration-based riddles.

Key Features

• Story-driven, side-scrolling action RPG set in a medieval fantasy world.
  • Upgrade Mirenia with a level and magic system.
  • Over a dozen different locations.
  • Beautiful pixel art.
  • Story-driven exploration.
  • Atmospheric music.
  • Challenging and complex boss battles.
  • Three different difficulty settings.
  • Enabled vibration.
  • Multiple languages.

Skylia-Prophecy_03-31-21.jpg

Testing:

Publisher and developer 7 Raven Studios, and developer Ezekiel Rage will release pixel art Metroidvania game The Skylia Prophecy for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Switch on April 23, the companies announced. Nintendo eShop and Microsoft pre-orders will begin on April 16.

The Skylia Prophecy first launched for PC via Steam in November 2020.

About

The Skylia Prophecy is a story-driven, side-scrolling action RPG set in a medieval fantasy world with more than a dozen locations. Lead Mirenia in a quest to vanquish the evil she unleashed and upgrade her with a level and magic system.

The Skylia Prophecy features three difficulty levels, multi-language, and vibration support. Battle hordes of monsters as you fight against powerful bosses in ancient dungeons and solve exploration-based riddles.

Key Features

• Story-driven, side-scrolling action RPG set in a medieval fantasy world.
  • Upgrade Mirenia with a level and magic system.
  • Over a dozen different locations.
  • Beautiful pixel art.
  • Story-driven exploration.
  • Atmospheric music.
  • Challenging and complex boss battles.
  • Three different difficulty settings.
  • Enabled vibration.
  • Multiple languages.

Watch a new trailer below.

8 minutes ago, misterBee said:

@AriesWarlockI have tweaked how text formatting for pasted text works.

Please see if it works better for you now.

Dude, you did it! Thank you very much! Was the feature always there or did you have to do something extra?

I've got one more for you lol. Do you know if there's a feature to populate website previews?

Links automatically expand

Want to share a cool link you found? Just paste it in on a single line and we’ll make it awesome. Links to Wikipedia, YouTube, Amazon, GitHub, Twitter, Flickr, and hundreds of other popular websites automatically expand to provide additional context and information.

https://www.discourse.org/a/vid/onebox.mp4?2

preview:

https://talk.macpowerusers.com/t/what-other-discourse-forums/10030/6

Edited by AriesWarlock
35 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

Was the feature always there or did you have to do something extra?

It was a feature that I had to turn on.

35 minutes ago, AriesWarlock said:

I've got one more for you lol. Do you know if there's a feature to populate website previews?

There are 3rd party plugins that enable that but they don't always work perfectly and cost money.  Unless it's something a ton of people need I would rather not incur that extra cost.

Someone Might Have Found A Canceled Castlevania Dreamcast Prototype

In a mysterious new video (h/t Polygon), an off-camera player navigates through what appears to be a prototype of Castlevania: Resurrection, a canceled Sega Dreamcast game from the early 2000s. If legitimate, this is the first time gameplay footage has been made publicly available.

The brief video appeared on a newly created YouTube channel and lacks a description. The disc is marked “11’ 5 ’99” and looks like a typical re-writable GD-ROM of the sort Sega commonly used internally for development and distributed to press in the Dreamcast era. It’s unclear where the person in the video obtained the disc.

According to Unseen64, Castlevania: Resurrection would have followed Castlevania Legends protagonist Sonia Belmont and a new character named Victor Belmont as they traveled into the past to deal with Dracula before the events of the first game. While the game did make appearances during a private showing at E3 1999 and in the September 1999 issue of the United Kingdom’s Dreamcast Magazine, Konami quietly canceled it in March 2000.

Castlevania: Resurrection was a game doomed from the start,” former Konami artist Jason Lee Elliott writes on his personal website. “The team itself had a lot of troubles when I came on board. Most of the team had only ever worked on sports games, so they had no idea how to make a 3D action platformer. The art team wasn’t very cohesive and couldn’t agree on a direction. The game had been in development for almost two years and had little to show.”

Since its cancelation, various Castlevania: Resurrection assets have appeared online—including concept art and music—thanks to folks who had a hand in the game’s development.

14 hours ago, AriesWarlock said:

Someone Might Have Found A Canceled Castlevania Dreamcast Prototype

In a mysterious new video (h/t Polygon), an off-camera player navigates through what appears to be a prototype of Castlevania: Resurrection, a canceled Sega Dreamcast game from the early 2000s. If legitimate, this is the first time gameplay footage has been made publicly available.

The brief video appeared on a newly created YouTube channel and lacks a description. The disc is marked “11’ 5 ’99” and looks like a typical re-writable GD-ROM of the sort Sega commonly used internally for development and distributed to press in the Dreamcast era. It’s unclear where the person in the video obtained the disc.

According to Unseen64, Castlevania: Resurrection would have followed Castlevania Legends protagonist Sonia Belmont and a new character named Victor Belmont as they traveled into the past to deal with Dracula before the events of the first game. While the game did make appearances during a private showing at E3 1999 and in the September 1999 issue of the United Kingdom’s Dreamcast Magazine, Konami quietly canceled it in March 2000.

Castlevania: Resurrection was a game doomed from the start,” former Konami artist Jason Lee Elliott writes on his personal website. “The team itself had a lot of troubles when I came on board. Most of the team had only ever worked on sports games, so they had no idea how to make a 3D action platformer. The art team wasn’t very cohesive and couldn’t agree on a direction. The game had been in development for almost two years and had little to show.”

Since its cancelation, various Castlevania: Resurrection assets have appeared online—including concept art and music—thanks to folks who had a hand in the game’s development.

It probably would have been a pretty shit game had it actually come out based on all this, especially considering how people don't seem to like the n64 games and it looks along those lines (I love them though.) Plus Sonia Belmont seems doomed to be in crappy CV games so that doesnt help its case at all.

Some new Metroidvania titles

Yes! You have yo attack the dryder on her boob!

Rokudo is an exploration adventure set in the Japanese realms of afterlife (Samsara)!

Minori is a young hermit with a relentless quest to search for his lost faithful companion dog. He must venture into the nearby forest to search for the clue of his dog whereabouts. The game will take the player deep into different Buddhist existence realms (Samsara) such as human realm, animal realm, spirit realm, Asura realm, hell realm and heaven realm. In his relentless journey, he will meet Yokai, spirit, Asura and different Asian mythological beings.

The journey is a representation of the protagonist trying to achieve enlightenment. The enemies in the game represent the inner obstacles he has to face.

- Explore six realms of rebirth: Human, Animal, Spirit, Asura, Hell and Heaven realm

- Discover belief and culture behind each rebirth realm

- Massive interactive and interconnected world

- Befriend with more than 30 different Yokai and Asian folklore creatures

- Dynamic story telling with multiple dialogue choices

- Evolve with gating skills and powerful fighting abilities

- Fight more than 20 epic and quirky bosses

- Multiple phases of big bosses

Game demo link: https://heaven-tales.itch.io/rokudodemo

Pretty cool setting the Peruvian Inca empire.

Edited by AriesWarlock
4 hours ago, Camacho said:

Man, I wish Haunted Castle wasn't so godawful, it has some really great music. Good thing there's youtube for the tracks that haven't been remixed in a non shitty CV game. 

I actually like Haunted Castle quite a bit, it's got that old school charm to it, especially if you get the ACA version where you have infinite credits lol. That's actually a CV game I wouldn't mind seeing remade. 

On 4/6/2021 at 12:15 AM, DarkSakul said:

We got it, except it's called "Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night" instead being called Castlevania

It lacks both the asthetic greatness and the brilliant design.

It also lacks the mythos. And this isn't due to the fact that SotN vaguely references the ancient Dracula myth expounded upon by Stoker. Castlevania has had its own awesome canon from the get go.

It carries upon itself the unpleasant albeit extremely generic aroma of a quick and dirty cookie-cutter animu storyboard.

2 hours ago, JHDK said:

It also lacks the mythos. And this isn't due to the fact that SotN vaguely references the ancient Dracula myth expounded upon by Stoker. Castlevania has had its own awesome canon from the get go.

Well when you have to start a new IP from scratch because the IP you used to work on is legally off limits. 
You have to give them a pass on this.

Plus Bloodstained did pulled from existing Mythology, they just stayed away from Dracula is all. 

Also aesthetics is very subjective. I still feel Bloodstained is more Castlevania than Lord of Darkness or those Pachinko Machines ever were.

2 hours ago, JHDK said:

It carries upon itself the unpleasant albeit extremely generic aroma of a quick and dirty cookie-cutter animu storyboard.

You haven't looked at the stories of the past Castlevania titles then, didn't you. 
Castlevania II, Castlevania III, Rondo of Blood, Bloodlines (which stole ideas from Bram Stroker), Symphony of the Night, Lament of the Innocent, Portrait of Ruin, Order of Ecclesia, Aria of Dawn/Sorrow, all used very cookie cutter Anime-style story elements. 

12 hours ago, JHDK said:

It lacks both the asthetic greatness and the brilliant design.

I'm just glad to have games that really scratch the itch well- let's not pretend the story was too stellar in most of CV to begin with. Gameplay, music, atmosphere, art design- all of which make way more of the experience than the story. Bloodstained does a great job with those elements, and thanks to RotN's creation we also have 3 great classic style CV games- both CotM titles and the free classic mode in RotN itself. Yeah, the story is dumb, but they do everything else right. I'll take more good CV games with those conditions over the nothing Konami is making. 

1 hour ago, Camacho said:

I'm just glad to have games that really scratch the itch well- let's not pretend the story was too stellar in most of CV to begin with. Gameplay, music, atmosphere, art design- all of which make way more of the experience than the story. Bloodstained does a great job with those elements, and thanks to RotN's creation we also have 3 great classic style CV games- both CotM titles and the free classic mode in RotN itself. Yeah, the story is dumb, but they do everything else right. I'll take more good CV games with those conditions over the nothing Konami is making. 

Oh, I agree that it is better than nothing.

It is the next best thing to a new SotN.

I just wish it wasn't so invested in modern anime sensibilities, design-wise.

I'd love for it to be more goth and dark in its visual themes.

The music is still spot on.

But the exploration does not feel nearly as satisfying to me, for some reason.

10 hours ago, DarkSakul said:

Well when you have to start a new IP from scratch because the IP you used to work on is legally off limits. 
You have to give them a pass on this.

Plus Bloodstained did pulled from existing Mythology, they just stayed away from Dracula is all. 

Also aesthetics is very subjective. I still feel Bloodstained is more Castlevania than Lord of Darkness or those Pachinko Machines ever were.

You haven't looked at the stories of the past Castlevania titles then, didn't you. 
Castlevania II, Castlevania III, Rondo of Blood, Bloodlines (which stole ideas from Bram Stroker), Symphony of the Night, Lament of the Innocent, Portrait of Ruin, Order of Ecclesia, Aria of Dawn/Sorrow, all used very cookie cutter Anime-style story elements. 

You can start a new IP with an insanely deep mythos already established within itself.

That's pretty much every good to exceptional fantasy novel, ever.