Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

ohoooo I know a certain old friend from college won't be able to resist the Switch now... BALDURS GATE games on the way?!?! bruhhhhhh:

https://mynintendonews.com/2019/02/07/baldurs-gate-baldurs-gate-ll-baldurs-gate-sod-icewind-dale-planescape-torment-and-neverwinter-nights-coming-to-switch/ 

meanwhile on Smash Ultimate---I got back into playing this for the "Spirit Board" mode lately... currently enjoying the ridiculous power of Ganondorf with a "Beast Gannon" legendary card thing that has 3 slots...I boost G's power even further sometimes by using that spirit/card thing that makes you start off with 30% damage but in turn it makes you stronger....and on top of that I'll add a thing that makes me do much more damage to shields.  The amount of overkill here in some match-ups is hilarious.

Edited by MillionX
16 hours ago, misterBee said:

So anybody getting Anthem?

Thinking about giving it a try.

It's going to be hard pass for me. The game looks like it has potential but I can already see the foundation for EA to complete fuck it up with microtransactions. I mean when you need a chart to explain's launch, it isn't a good sign. I feel bad for Bioware. They are at best with single player games but EA hates single player games.

anthem-chart.jpg

Just now, Darc_Requiem said:

It's going to be hard pass for me. The game looks like it has potential but I can already see the foundation for EA to complete fuck it up with microtransactions. I mean when you need a chart to explain's launch, it isn't a good sign. I feel bad for Bioware. They are at best with single player games but EA hates single player games.

I honestly don't care about EA.  I've enjoyed many of their titles, and microtransactions have never really bothered me.  Way I see it, the money I've put into their games has been worth it.  Early launch shenanigans don't really affect me either.

I'll give the game a shot and see how things go. 😃

When you buy a video game, do you buy any of the collector's editions to come with physical extras, like figures, "props" or whatnot?

I am not counting DLC, expansion packs or GOTY editions with extras added to the base game that are on disc

I have only bought the SF 4 collectors edition back in 2009. It came with a small C Viper figurine and a an anime film. 

To me , many games are not worth sixty let alone 90 or whatever just bc you get a T-shirt.

Am I alone in thinking this?

1 hour ago, DangerousJ said:

When you buy a video game, do you buy any of the collector's editions to come with physical extras, like figures, "props" or whatnot?

I am not counting DLC, expansion packs or GOTY editions with extras added to the base game that are on disc

I have only bought the SF 4 collectors edition back in 2009. It came with a small C Viper figurine and a an anime film. 

To me , many games are not worth sixty let alone 90 or whatever just bc you get a T-shirt.

Am I alone in thinking this?

I collect steelbooks.  There are some very nice ones out there.

Most collector's edition statues are very low quality.  I'd rather keep the money and buy a nice statue on my own.  Most nice figures and statues are 80-200USD on their own.  Ones bundled with games can't compare.

These days I'll grab a collector's edition if it DOESN'T come with a statue.  Other times I'll just go on eBay and find the steelbook separately.

Here are some I've just bought:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I only get collector's edition if it has some bonus stuff I actually want, whether that's in-game or a physical item like a little statue.  I think one of the first collector's edition things I got was Viewtiful Joe...though if I recall that was only a pre-order bonus---you got a statue/bobble-head figure of Joe in his regular outfit.  Unfortunately it needs repair at this point since I foolishly had it loose in the trunk when moving some years ago.

One I don't get is people that get the special editions but are only half-way into the game itself... I have a friend like that...he bought special/legendary editions of Gears of War games back in the day, and has he actually finished the stories?  haha NOPE.  The dude plays thru story up to a certain point, then plays Horde maybe a handful of times...then NEVER touches the game again for some reason....such a waste of money, imo.

Inti Creates has another live-stream of Dragon Marked For Death...they've been doing these every day: (I still haven't gotten far in this game, simply because I have so many other Switch games I'm into at the moment... yesterday's purchase of Unruly Heroes brings the count up to about 33 games...and I still haven't even started Starlink yet!  The lineup of stuff on this system is goddamn ridiculous, man.  This should ultimately be remembered as Nintendo's greatest system ever produced, imo.  Yes it has already surpassed the former champion SNES, at least for me.)

ah, I see "iddq" started playing Apex Legends like everyone else... it's great to watch this dude play just about anything, actually; the level of general "FPS" skill is goddamn ridiculous (he is a former pro Quake player; also pro Overwatch for a while but stopped for some reason):

Edited by MillionX
On 2/14/2019 at 6:38 AM, MillionX said:

bruhhhhhh this right HERE!

easy day 1 for me.

and of course the "Big Fuckin Deal!" as Joe Biden would say:

Switch = Legend status continues.

ohhhhhh and then there's THIS

AND Ultimate Alliance 3...  they're on fire like an NBA Jam character, folks!

and finally some Daemon X Machina gameplay:

That 30 minute Direct contained more exclusives than the XB1's entire life cycle.

JUMP FORCE, man...holy shit this is truly a Shonen Anime fan's dream, bruh.  The controls are simple enough for anyone to pick up in about 2 or 3 minutes.  I had a team of my original character, Ichigo and Aizen Sosuke.... so much awesome shit happened in this one match, man... it looked so cool with my original character finishing the team off with a Kamehameha followed up by a Hell Grenade.  Oh yeah this was worth every penny to me.

sheeeeit, so I got back into playing a bit of Warframe today; they gave a 50% discount on things for whatever reason, so I had enough of the in-game currency to unlock Nidus....  this dude is a viral organism as a playable warframe.  This game has so many cool ideas, man... check this muthafucka out:

I already have him up to rank 6 after a couple of missions, so I have the first 3 of his 4 special abilities to play with now... 

• Virulence - you stomp the ground which causes fungal growth that damages enemies AND steals energy from them.  It also gets apparently stronger via mutation for each pack of 5 enemies this hits.
  • Larva - spawn an "infested" pod with tendrils that pulls enemies in...doesn't deal damage; it works as a disrupting sort of thing.
  • Parasitic Link - "bind to a target with a parasitic link... for allies, both the host and Nidus deal increased damage.  Linked enemies take the damage inflicted on Nidus" <--this right here is THE SHIT, man.
  • Ravenous - maggots swarm nearby enemies, feasting until hit with 'virulence' and burst with Infestation.  The maggots benefit from Mutation, and each enemy hit adds to the Mutation stack.  

I am absolutely loving this shit.  Other companies should've been taking notes all this time.  

Interesting...this guy did a vid briefly ranking how all the warframes rank currently in the game:

*more missions now as Nidus... mannnn this is too much fun... I have him at rank 9 now.  He also has a natural healing factor that I guess gets stronger as the "virulence" mutation stacks build up.

Edited by MillionX

Fortunately both my PS Vitas still work... yesterday 1 (the "Slim") wasn't charging and just gave this black and white "no battery" symbol when plugged up, but if you hold R and/or L and hit the power button apparently that works... It finally charged up and is ready to go....so yeah---I had Switch AND my Vita at work with me yesterday.  The only annoyance is figuring out which one to play on lunch hour and break time.  

I felt the sudden urge to play the legendary Soul Sacrifice Delta again.... I was reminiscing a few days ago about how incredible that game was...it still ranks as one of my favorite games of all time....like on a "Top 100" list it's easily inside the top 10 for me, maybe even the top 5.  I wish they'd resurrect this franchise on other more successful systems (*like Switch---HINT HINT, devs....well I remember that Sony published it, so I guess that isn't likely then... PS4 or PS5 revival then?  Please bring it back.)
A look back at the greatness:

The depth to be found in there was truly something special... I could ramble on and on forever about the details... like how death and becoming a spirit works in the game as an aspect of your strategic options, the varieties of magic at your disposal, the recurring theme of choice and sacrifice, the interesting penalties for using the strongest spells, etc.

Edited by MillionX
11 hours ago, MillionX said:

Fortunately both my PS Vitas still work... yesterday 1 (the "Slim") wasn't charging and just gave this black and white "no battery" symbol when plugged up, but if you hold R and/or L and hit the power button apparently that works... It finally charged up and is ready to go....so yeah---I had Switch AND my Vita at work with me yesterday.  The only annoyance is figuring out which one to play on lunch hour and break time. 

Batteries that aren't easily accessible are the worst.  3DS and PSP are great because you can change the battery without having to open up the entire device.  A lot of people are going to be annoyed when several years from now the batteries in a lot of their devices are dead and they'll have to do surgery just to replace them...

oh yeah, part of the reason I got 2 Vitas was a bit of long-term planning.. I was considering getting a 3rd and probably should've done so.... basically I wanted to have that back-up Vita ready for the day when my first one finally died.  This was years ago, and I already knew that it also wouldn't be much longer before it became a commercially dead system....and thus... impossible to ever buy a new one again.  I also got #2 since they are different models... 1st one is the old OLED screen, and #2 is the Slim Vita.

Soul Sacrifice Delta---quick examples of the sacrifice and consequence themes, and just how incredible the detail is here....

-in multiplayer, or with cpu allies... if partners are down, you have the choice to save or sacrifice them.  Saving them keeps them alive but at the cost of a significant portion of your health.  This could be offset by a self-healing spell though....BUT spells have a limited # of uses (there is a way to replenish them as the battle goes on, but those methods are limited...and replenishing must be done before the spell is "empty")...so you can't just spam your healing all day.  If you sacrifice the person, their death releases a powerful magic attack against the boss/monster...it is on par with the strongest spells in the game which are classified as "black rites" magic.  Each player also has a choice when they are down, to say/request "Save me!" or "Sacrifice me!"  They also have the option to forgo this if I recall and just die so they become a spirit right away.

...I love this concept here..... In spirit form, the dead player is actually still there on the battlefield, able to help in certain ways.  They can possess 1 of the others which buffs their magic.  Spirit-form can also debuff the monster....AND they can naturally see how much closer to death the monster or other players are, as they have permanent "mind's eye" vision.  Spirit-form can even attack if it finds some environmental magic spots to conjure a weapon.  Oh and of course....in spirit-form you are invulnerable to all attacks.

This is just off the top of my head here...there's SO much more I've actually forgotten some of the details.  You could write a novel-sized book of info about the nuances of what's going on in this game.  It's insane. 

Edited by MillionX

I'm still getting my looter-shooter fix with Warframe; played quite a bit this weekend... up to level 19 with Nidus now, feeling basically unstoppable at this point since I have all his powers.  The visual design of Nidus and everything else in this game is on another level, man... I wish other devs had this level of creativity on the design front.  If I customize him with some warm colors like red, orange, rust etc...he kinda reminds me of "KLESK" from the Quake 3 days.... kinda odd the Infestation life forms still attack me though, considering this character is one of them.

I got a heat sword blue-print and I started crafting just now (heat naturally does extra damage to the Infested creatures; quick note---basically they seem to be the "Flood" equivalent here...and playing Nidus fulfills my old fantasy of playing as a "Flood" character in the Halo universe back in the day), so I finally will have a new melee weapon soon; I've actually had the same bo since starting this game years ago.  I've made much more progress and have had more fun ever since unlocking Nidus and switching out to a shotgun type of weapon.

edit---hell yeah I got another sword blueprint during a fight with a certain boss...so now that's being crafted in the foundry section; 2 new melee weapons for me soon

Curse of the Moon <--this is free on Xbox Live right now so I just got that one today

Edited by MillionX

Ok SERIOUSLY!?  In the first few seconds I noticed.... this looks like they just used the same city from way back in part 1....!?  BRUHHHHHH

(^no embedding anymore?) haha I recognized that shit in seconds, man. 🤣  It's already just looking like they could've called it "Crackdown HD", like it's simply a hi-res remake.

However... I was and still am a fan of Crackdown, so I might actually get it.... once the price drops, because it doesn't quite look like something that should be selling for full price, imo 

sheeeeeit, this run in Dead Cells on Hard difficulty is looking goooood, bruhs.... I got a bit over 15k in health right now...going with another ranged build... multi-shot bow IV-S doing 4436 dps +150% damage. Pyrotechnics I-S has 4267 dps., +100% damage.  Sinew Slicer III++ has 374 dps.  Double Crossbomatic V++ has 974 dps.
+280 dps for 8 seconds after killing an enemy.
necro passive--> recovering 0.92%hp after death of an enemy.
+608 dps if I'm close to my slicer and crossbow deployments.  
This run is long as hell too because I took a while trying to figure out how to get a certain unlockable thing... haha the time says 1 hour, 29 minutes right now on this shit....I'm in the High Peak Castle at this point... the moment of truth... will our hero prevail?!

...yeah, this game is goddamn legendary, man.

One hell of a sermon on this shit

👍

*still struggling on Very Hard difficulty Dead Cells here... I checked the total play time and I'm up to 85 hours at this point....and for only 20 to 25 bucks!  This is a shining example of some developers producing some REAL quality out there, instead of having the typical corporate mindset where they look at the general audience and only think of _"...how much can we get away with here...?  Minimum effort, maximum profit!"_ 
Right next to that in my list of Switch games--- Smash Ultimate.  The developers who are still putting as much QUALITY content on your plate as possible should be the **real** winners in this industry.

ha, browsing the eshop I noticed this game called Hard West...seemed interesting in concept...then reading along in the description I hit that thing that always kills my interest...some of ya probably know what I'm getting at:

"Control 1-4 squad members in turn-based combat enc.." **B-BUTTON instant 'nope.' 😄

On another note--there's this little game called Robonauts that they are always trying to basically give away... it's been on sale constantly for ridiculously low prices each time for some reason... currently it's on there for 86 cents! (90% off)... I may actually get it one day....usually I have enough in those gold coin points to cover that.

ANTHEM---sometimes it's like the game itself is trolling ya.... , I joined a quickplay random mission that turned out to be that goddamn Foundry puzzle/mission that I absolutely can't stand... it's already terrible, imo, but it seemed bugged...nothing was happening; no character voice-over, and the little totems weren't popping up out of the ground...no enemies were showing up...we're just running and flying around a giant empty room indefinitely...so I quit that bullshit.  I came back to the game and tried again with Quickplay---it put me in the SAME damn mission and room again, man (once again apparently glitched...people flying and running around with nothing going on)....as if the game itself was doing that purposely to fuck with me.

Edited by MillionX

BRUH...look at THIS muthafucka...

sure the graphics could stand to be better but I am definitely liking what I see here...and it's on Switch too?!?! sheeeeeeit.

My ultimate dream Power Rangers game would still be a Dynasty Warriors "musou" kind of thing with every Ranger up to this point as playable characters... though...sadly I doubt that will ever happen.

2 hours ago, MillionX said:

sure the graphics could stand to be better but I am definitely liking what I see here...and it's on Switch too?!?! sheeeeeeit.

Playing FGs on Switch. smh 😟

2 hours ago, MillionX said:

My ultimate dream Power Rangers game would still be a Dynasty Warriors "musou" kind of thing with every Ranger up to this point as playable characters... though...sadly I doubt that will ever happen.

This game already exists.  Most Super Sentai is for children so console games are not common.  Children tend to play mobile games.

This type of multi-series crossover/musou game already exists for Kamen Rider too:

ha, I like that Dr. Doom idea for Ranger, actually... check this out...customizations in Anthem:

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/03/01/21-iconic-characters-recreated-in-anthem?abthid=5c798985deae065b0b000657

I modeled my colossus to look like Shockwave from G1-era Transformers (though with dark grey rather than a more accurate lighter grey)...thanks to the Dreadnaught armor pack you have the singular "cyclops eye" design already in the mix too.