Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread: Now Featuring Animated Avatars

with all the interesting people and events that have popped up in the years since the previous Soul Calibur, there's all kinds of sick, "in poor taste" ideas I have for the new one... can't wait to get crackin' on this shit...just off the top of my head we have:

Elliot Rodgers, the Supreme Gentleman

Don "Grab 'em by the Pussy" Trump, of course

Harvey Weinstein

Caitlyn Jenner <--SC creation system is just begging for this shit because you "anatomically correct" people is very possible.  I made a "chick with a dick" in the last game easily so it should be no different here.

...and of course our old buddy the living meme himself...  "darksfadil", aka "dark-si-dafil",  Phil, "Dave", etc.... 

(*for those not crazy enough to keep up with the "lore" like I do--- "darksfadil" originated when this random dude showed up in... I think it was PUBG or Black Ops mispronouncing the name, saying "damnnnn darksfadil you trash, bro!"  Oh yes there's also "The Guy" 🤣)

Edited by MillionX

^yesssssss now that's what I'm talking about.  Since Donny is always at the top of the headlines on a regular basis, I'm sure countless players have made him in the game already.  Character creation, man...it's always a wonderful thing.😄  There's probably some Kim Jong Uns and Vladimir Putins out there too, I'm sure....and some are no doubt making Osama bin Ladens, though that's obviously  bit "old hat", at this point, imo.

*Also--that horrible version of Starfire from the live action Titans

Rian Roundhead Johnson

the new Pennywise

ooooh shit---then there's the "youtuber" category as well--- Mundane "WAITAMINUTE, Matt NO!!!!" Matt, maybe Nicole Arbour, Tommy Sotomayor,, Cenk from TYT (the older and fatter he gets, the more that guy looks like the real life Fred Flintstone), etc.

Edited by MillionX

On another note.... Lost Ark looks cool....BUT it's a goddamn MMO, and I just don't like that entire genre... I prefer offline-capable action-RPG stuff....get that MMO shit (and its inherent "online-only" requirement that goes with the genre)  the hell out of the mix.  Otherwise, this game does look quite outstanding, and perfectly suited to my taste....the character customization in it is awesome.

On another note... I finally bought a replacement Switch joycon connector thing...apparently it's simply called the "grip"... I kept looking around but every time all they had was the ugly red shit...both plain and a version that is red with a picture of Mario on the front.... which looks even more tacky, imo....I went on and bought the plain red one.  The strange thing is the huge difference in price I noticed between 2 of them... there's one that is black with clear parts I've seen everywhere... for some reason that shit is around 27.99!  The normal price on the joycon "grip" thing is like 7 or 8 bucks.... I guess having "clear" sections of the thing warrants an extra 20 bucks!?  The red one I bought was the normal 7.99.

Edited by MillionX

1 thing that annoys me about some rpgs.... gender-locked classes, man... like if they're allowing you to customize/create the character, why say this one still HAS to be ______  though?  If I were making a game; that's one little aspect of it that would also be up to the player... male or female.  It surprises me that this isn't just a standard thing in those types of games.  It's one thing D3 got right--- Wizard and the rest can be a man or a woman...instead of other games where mage "has to be" a woman for some reason.

*speaking of---I just hit level 70 a little while ago; paragon level 6 shortly after that.

*Apparently there is a Necromancer bug from what I hear...curses don't work as often as they should on the Switch version.

Edited by MillionX

Heh, man I checked the official Diablo forums out of curiosity and noticed that old topic of "Offline Mode" is still going on... PC version will forever be online-only, but some of them over there still have hope.

The amazing thing is how many pc fanboys still defend that nonsense, hanging onto the "anti cheaters" point... or if you bring up console versions they might be inclined to respond with a snooty "yeah  have fun playing with hackers/cheaters, dude".... like there's no "botting" on PC versions?  That thing I hear about on occasion doesn't exist?  Also---it only affects you if you allow it into your game and give a shit anyway.  I've played console D3 100% of the time over the bootleg ass PC version since it came out... I have played with a hacker(*or at least someone that had hacked items) precisely ONCE in all these years...the dude was a friend of a friend I regularly play with, and *GASP* we still had a good time despite how ridiculous his character was.  Random people doing shit in their game world doesn't have any effect on my good times; I never play with those people anyway.  It's called having "friends" you regularly play with, y'know?  haha I can play my version just fine while Blizzard does server maintenance or if the company happens to shut down at some point; can you?  Oops.

I think at least some of them are just desperate to defend the dumbass pc version because they regret their purchase decision.

19 hours ago, MillionX said:

Heh, man I checked the official Diablo forums out of curiosity and noticed that old topic of "Offline Mode" is still going on... PC version will forever be online-only, but some of them over there still have hope.

The amazing thing is how many pc fanboys still defend that nonsense, hanging onto the "anti cheaters" point... or if you bring up console versions they might be inclined to respond with a snooty "yeah  have fun playing with hackers/cheaters, dude".... like there's no "botting" on PC versions?  That thing I hear about on occasion doesn't exist?  Also---it only affects you if you allow it into your game and give a shit anyway.  I've played console D3 100% of the time over the bootleg ass PC version since it came out... I have played with a hacker(*or at least someone that had hacked items) precisely ONCE in all these years...the dude was a friend of a friend I regularly play with, and *GASP* we still had a good time despite how ridiculous his character was.  Random people doing shit in their game world doesn't have any effect on my good times; I never play with those people anyway.  It's called having "friends" you regularly play with, y'know?  haha I can play my version just fine while Blizzard does server maintenance or if the company happens to shut down at some point; can you?  Oops.

I think at least some of them are just desperate to defend the dumbass pc version because they regret their purchase decision.

I don't care if it's online only, since D2 online was the only version I cared about to begin with.  To me Diablo has always been an online game, just like MMOs are.

I have a good internet connection and don't care about playing on the go, so quite frankly it's a non-issue for me.

Surprisingly I never played D2..(*I probably will soon, since Blizz doesn't seem to be interested in a remake...then again they did say "multiple Diablo projects" in the works...!!!)....

..but from what I hear it was offline as well, with online capability.  Outside of MMOs, I think most or all games should just be like that, actually... perfectly functional offline but with online multiplayer if multi/co-op was included in the design of the thing.  When it is online-only, that's basically an extended rental, imo.  You have access as long as they allow you to have access....or as long as they and their servers continue to be a thing.  I'll never be on board with the idea that a game I enjoy could go away for such a large # of reasons, like legal/copyright issues, company shutting down or just server maintenance, or when they decide to simply end it (e.g.--that Marvel Heroes ARPG; dead once Disney pulled funding... or Battleborn...if that one isn't gone already it probably will be soon) 

As long as I have a working Switch or XB1, I have Diablo 3, whenever I feel like playing it, regardless of whatever happens with Blizzard in the near future.  Now with Switch, I don't even need to be near a wall socket outside of to recharge on occasion. (*D3 does burn the battery noticeably faster than other games, unfortunately... I'm already in the habit of bringing my charger to work as well though)

On another note---it appears that Pat the NES Punk and his buddy Ian stepped in it big time over this Diablo Immortal topic...

Edited by MillionX
7 hours ago, MillionX said:

Surprisingly I never played D2..(*I probably will soon, since Blizz doesn't seem to be interested in a remake...then again they did say "multiple Diablo projects" in the works...!!!)....

..but from what I hear it was offline as well, with online capability.  Outside of MMOs, I think most or all games should just be like that, actually... perfectly functional offline but with online multiplayer if multi/co-op was included in the design of the thing.  When it is online-only, that's basically an extended rental, imo.  You have access as long as they allow you to have access....or as long as they and their servers continue to be a thing.  I'll never be on board with the idea that a game I enjoy could go away for such a large # of reasons, like legal/copyright issues, company shutting down or just server maintenance, or when they decide to simply end it (e.g.--that Marvel Heroes ARPG; dead once Disney pulled funding... or Battleborn...if that one isn't gone already it probably will be soon) 

As long as I have a working Switch or XB1, I have Diablo 3, whenever I feel like playing it, regardless of whatever happens with Blizzard in the near future.  Now with Switch, I don't even need to be near a wall socket outside of to recharge on occasion. (*D3 does burn the battery noticeably faster than other games, unfortunately... I'm already in the habit of bringing my charger to work as well though)

Diablo 2 had two modes: offline and online.

Offline characters were stored on your PC, while online characters were stored server-side, just like an MMO.

You could not take your offline character into the online mode.  The only way to do so was use 'open' battle.net or LAN games, which nobody did.  Offline characters were notoriously easy to edit/modify, so in practice pretty much everyone played the game in online mode only.

The big fuss over Diablo 3 requiring an internet connection was stupid because in practice everyone who played D2 seriously already required an internet connection anyway.

9 hours ago, misterBee said:

Offline characters were stored on your PC, while online characters were stored server-side, just like an MMO.

You could not take your offline character into the online mode.  The only way to do so was use 'open' battle.net or LAN games, which nobody did.  Offline characters were notoriously easy to edit/modify, so in practice pretty much everyone played the game in online mode only.

The big fuss over Diablo 3 requiring an internet connection was stupid because in practice everyone who played D2 seriously already required an internet connection anyway.

I played both.

And I preferred offline SP.

9 hours ago, misterBee said:

A single player game should never require an internet connection. I had Diablo 3 at launch. Despite being a single player game, I couldn't player it. Server issues, couldn't log in. $60 and I couldn't even play the damned game.

19 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

A single player game should never require an internet connection. I had Diablo 3 at launch. Despite being a single player game, I couldn't player it. Server issues, couldn't log in. $60 and I couldn't even play the damned game.

While this is true,  it was clear since D2 that Blizzard viewed Diablo as a mainly multiplayer experience.  They patched the multiplayer version of the game for years, adding new patches and features.  D3 was the natural extension of this philosophy, with the complete removal of offline mode.

For better or worse, D3 and to a large extent D2 was mainly meant to be played online. You could of course play alone, but it was a lot like soloing in an MMO.  Unfortunately, no popular/anticipated online game can escape server problems on launch.

The console versions of D3 can only get away with having an offline mode because the majority of players can't get to the game's files and modify them.  The benefits of a closed system (console) vs PC.

ok yeahhhh I need to get SC6 sooner rather than later to start making my roster...there's a lot of fine ass out there on tv, movies and other games to reproduce, in addition to my lineup of "in poor taste characters.... like my honeys Caitlin and Nora from The Flash, Camila Banus and Camila Mendes, all-time legendary anime hotness Lust from FMA, etc. etc.

...and from the lolcow categories.... our pal, The Guy himself... "Darksfadil", can't forget about him, of course.😆

Edited by MillionX

whoah I didn't even know until just randomly surfin' channels here... at 10 pm Central time on TBS---a Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Invitational thing is on.

*earlier today... I forgot to charge up Switch...AND I forgot to bring the damn charger!  That's some sad shit to be on a break at work with your system... but the battery power is sitting at 31%, man😩

9 hours ago, MillionX said:

whoah I didn't even know until just randomly surfin' channels here... at 10 pm Central time on TBS---a Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Invitational thing is on.

*earlier today... I forgot to charge up Switch...AND I forgot to bring the damn charger!  That's some sad shit to be on a break at work with your system... but the battery power is sitting at 31%, man😩

If you use the Switch so much at work you might as well just bring a second charger and leave it in the office.

ha, man I didn't think the controversial Diablo commentary would continue following them like this... every video since on Pat the NES Punk's channel has a ton of dislikes.. (latest vid was posted about 10 minutes ago; already off to the same start with 16 dislikes to 10 likes...I'm sure it will get worse later). I generally like them but this is funny 🤣....yeahh they definitely stepped in it on this one.  There's no winning at this point either because if they try to apologize and walk it back now then it still looks bad.  

Cliff Notes--- basically they called out the Diablo fans to "grow up" and that they are entitled to nothing.  It's amazing they thought this opinion would go over well at all.  Yeah, smart plan guys, to call a large portion of a fanbase that is upset about something "entitled" and "babies"....that always ends well. 😄

This latest Path of Exile thing sounds interesting...

On 11/13/2018 at 2:01 PM, misterBee said:

While this is true,  it was clear since D2 that Blizzard viewed Diablo as a mainly multiplayer experience.  They patched the multiplayer version of the game for years, adding new patches and features.  D3 was the natural extension of this philosophy, with the complete removal of offline mode.

For better or worse, D3 and to a large extent D2 was mainly meant to be played online. You could of course play alone, but it was a lot like soloing in an MMO.  Unfortunately, no popular/anticipated online game can escape server problems on launch.

The console versions of D3 can only get away with having an offline mode because the majority of players can't get to the game's files and modify them.  The benefits of a closed system (console) vs PC.

Diablo 2 was a better game as a SP or local Multi experience.

The only thing that made online worth bothering with were the abyssmal drop rates starting out.

Those drop rates basically made D2 "online" D2: Day Trader Edition.

It sucked.

It was the acme of not fun.

That "not fun" was so integral to getting to the actual fun, is why D2 was, in all truth, terribad game design.

Path of Exile took this horriwful game design, and ratcheted it up manifold times.

Path of Exile has the worst drops ever.

95% of the game is either whiling and wiling away days trading, or farming  in hopes of getting crap drops your character can't use, in order be able to while and wile away days in trade.

It is the exact opposite of what I find fun in a game.

It is the player LARPing Skinner being chased by an anthropomorphic carrot beating him to death with its stick.

That is why it is a bad game

Yes opinion.

Yes fact.

If I wanted to spend all day trading, I'd play the stock market, or flip like a SNAAAAAKE!, because damned if those aren't more engaging activities, if also not games, qua fun.

Edited by JHDK
Cheap phone's autoincorrect.

ha, that Fallout 76 vid I posted earlier got a copyright claim...?  ehhh?  Oooook...

On another note...and actual good game WARFRAME (basically the greatest free-to-play game of all time, imo)  is out for Switch, folks:

*I think I would rather continue playing it primarily on XB1 though... this is unfortunately a game that requires online, and that factor basically kills true portability....

Edited by MillionX

Well, I was going to jump on "FURI" on Switch since it is only 10 bucks at the moment, but I checked out Live's sales...

-Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition, Elex, Dragonball Fighter Z and the recent 2 Assassin Creed games are all on sale... of those 2 I'm more interested in Origins though... but yeah this lineup of sales is a tough one...oh yeah and Curse of the Moon on Switch is on sale even though it's already cheap (*it's something like 6.99 right now, I think) .... I cannot resist...something out of this lineup is getting bought before the damn weekend is over.

*one little gripe about Curse of the Moon though--- from the footage I see, I don't like how the vampire-ish character plays...it looks like his only real worthwhile gimmick is that he can fly around as a bat and thus reach areas other characters can't.  I'm also hearing this game is extremely short, unfortunately.

On another note---"Skill Up" posted his review of the ongoing disaster that is FallOut 76

duuuuude it's even worse than I thought... so....the beta was only accessible at certain times of the day!?  Some of those times being when the average person is at work or school?!  BRUH are they serious?  This trainwreck is the gift that keeps giving🤣

Edited by MillionX
On 11/19/2018 at 5:52 PM, Darc_Requiem said:

These PS Store sales are legit. Valkyria Chronicles 4 $30, God of War $22, Detroit $22, Nioh $16, Shadow of the Tomb Raider $35, and I saw Sleeping Dogs for $6.

I know, right?

I got... VC4, GoW, FotNS:LP, and HZD.

Diablo 3 on Switch---well, I wasn't as close to the end of season stuff as I thought; only just completed the "IV" set of challenges...yeah this is actually the first time I've played a seasonal character for any extensive period of time....and sheeeeeit my wizard in this mode just powered up drastically... I have the full Tal Rasha set now and still 2 pieces of Vyr's on top of that which gives me all runes and thus the "true power" of Archon form.  I have "Nilfur's Boost" power in the cube which is boosting meteor damage by 900%...paragon level 80-something now.. 2 legendary gems on me....oh and I have a "Convention of Elements" ring further boosting elemental damage.  The results here are RIDICULOUS....hitting into the billions in terms of damage.  

I just found a poison-immunity amulet recently (always good to have this type so you are immune to at least 1 thing), but I'd have to drop my Tal Rasha amulet to equip it unfortunately, and I can't put it's power in the cube since I have another power in the way at the moment (that ring power that lets you decrease cooldown faster)

*edit--it was actually paragon 95 but the leveling is so insane... I'm actually paragon 110 now since originally typing all that^ 🤣  Ooooh and I just found the "Improbable Chain" now...so my Archon form starts off with 46 stacks of power.  Yeahhhh this will be my go-to wizard build from here on out.  Tal Rasha + 2piece Vyr's is GOD.

*for the uninitiated--- the rundown on how awesome this set is:

http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Tal_Rasha's_Elements 

Edited by MillionX