Stage Select

The Street Fighter VI Story Thread: Shadaloo Died so Luke Could Live!

18 hours ago, YagamiFire said:

@CESTUS III

Well I would see his Saikyo as something closer in concept to JKD. His Saikyo would be at least as different from Dan's as Gouken's ansatsuken was different from Ken & Ryu's

Yeah guessed you had that kind of idea, it's not a bad approach 😄

Saikyo have pretty unique/different from ansatsuken stuff that i would like see in a character (think Dankukyaku or Danretsuken), just pls stay away as possible from Gadoken and Koryuken, because otherwise we end up  into recycle-ansatsuken vibes

But that's also personal taste playing a role, think even the fact they gave a "shoryuken" to Luke pissed me off a bit lol, i'm like "but why, one more with it?" lol

13 hours ago, Doctrine_Dark said:

Recently revisited some of the classics. Mainly Alpha and Capcom Vs SNK.

Something stood out to me regarding Bison and the Shadaloo Kings during the Alpha era.

In total, Bison sics Rog on Birdie, Gen, Rolento, Mika, Eagle, and Blanka

So even though Vega appeared to be one of the Kings in Alpha 1 and 2, his Alpha 3 bio says otherwise. I guess it comes from Vega denying Gief's accusation that he was apart of Shadaloo. I always took that as him being  dishonest, though I suppose nothing goes against it. Seems odd that Vega would go from being a member to working with Bison temporarily not too long after.  We can definitely count Sagat out since it seems like the recruiting process is still taking place by this point. Birdie was a traitor. 

What's funny to me is Bison's total disregard for  Sagat. It's almost as if defeating him is meaningless, but defeating Balrog is actually a big deal in his eyes. I guess it's because in this instance, Sagat losing is enough for Bison to lose complete respect for him. That would explain why he expects Balrog to have a more favorable outcome against whoever he's facing.

Balrog is canonically the weakest of the Shadaloo Kings, but he got a lot of shine in Alpha 3/CVS1 as Bison's #1 henchman. 

I think timing is key there

Alpha Sagat is coming from the loss to Ryu in SF1, but he also lost to Adon in Alpha, and Bison know about it, as he try to hire him (Adon) into Shadaloo

Also Ryu during Alpha days say Sagat did'nt fully recovered from the SF1 match

Not even sure Bison know it, but Sagat lost (on purpose) also to Dan during alpha days

Alpha Sagat is still powerful but essentially a broken man, and a broken toy in Bison's eyes

By comparision, to some extent Balrog in that time arc is more like the new shining toy, while the not fully recruited Vega is maybe still a bit a question mark

But i think once things are settled SF2 feels the correct food chain... M.Bison > Sagat > Vega > Rog

One thing i ever liked is how Vega=Matador and Rog=Bull, Vega style make him perfect to kill a bull, but not a tiger who would be too fast/agile(and powerful, but that's the bull too)

Tiger > Matador > Bull

Of course in real life bull may have very very good shot at kill a tiger, but under anime perspective, sequence will ever be like that

Then you have Bison and his mysterious Psycho Power who stand above them and dominate

SF2 shadakings concept was truly perfect 

Btw returning to Sagat versions, as fighter 

SFV>SF4>SF2>SF1>SFA

By comparision Rog have very different development, we know he decline going forward (SFV, SF3) but we even have couple of SF2 mangas saying the Rog we see (SF2) is already weaker than his boxing career self (clear wink at prime Tyson>post jail Tyson)

Edited by CESTUS III

Fighting spirit counts for an IMMENSE amount in the Street Fighter world and the damage Sagat received from Ryu to his spirit REALLY undermined his ability. His fighting senses were in total disarray. Bison likely saw him as totally broken and only fit for 'correction' through Psycho Power...

Sagat, however, found his own path to return to the throne of Emperor. Once again, as is his general character flaw, Bison underestimated a fighters drive

10 hours ago, YagamiFire said:

Fighting spirit counts for an IMMENSE amount in the Street Fighter world and the damage Sagat received from Ryu to his spirit REALLY undermined his ability. His fighting senses were in total disarray. Bison likely saw him as totally broken and only fit for 'correction' through Psycho Power...

Sagat, however, found his own path to return to the throne of Emperor. Once again, as is his general character flaw, Bison underestimated a fighters drive

Yeah, that’s what i’m saying… on other hand you have Rog who could not care less about boxing or pride as fighter and probably somehow manage to care less day by day, dude just want money and got progressively worse through years

Would say Rog probably got worse in linear way the further he goes from his training days, something like

Pre-SF (let’s say SF1 days, but not sure) > SFA > SF2 > SF4 > SFV  > SF3

It’s interesting how in SF often peak performance change fighter by fighter depending on shit happening in their story, instead being a generic everybody is in their prime or everybody get a bit better

Two cool opposite examples are Birdie and Zangief, two fighters going in opposite directions

Birdie get more loose and lazy the more he goes on, likely

500 Trillion Powers Birdie* > SF1/SFA Birdie > SFV Birdie

*pro-wrestling version, tag team with Titanic Tim

Zangief have iron will and train every fucking day of his life**, he essentially passed from some kind of gimmick big brute good to make shine other characters that use him as punchbag, to legit force to recognize able to do feats that legit amaze even fellow Street Fighters, his determination seems at last to have elevated him to “ki fighters” level wich is pretty great feat in a world where usually pure physical types are often used as lowest type

(SF3?) > SFV > SF4 > SF2/SFA

** Gief remind me A LOT this Karelin quote “I train every day of my life as they have never trained a day in theirs”

Edited by CESTUS III

How ok would you people be with the story taking a more casual approach ?  

No more world ending threats, no more big bad guy that wants to rule all and mess up the lives of everybody. 

What if we just get some minor threats if any and some sort of tournament where all these fighters get to prove their strenght ? Add in a bunch of character interactions and "what if's" in arcade endings , intro / dialogues between characters that never even met one another in the story etc ? 

PS : not saying they should go this route , but if they are, would you be ok with this ? Or you really hoping they solve whatever is supposed to happen after 3rd strike ? 

11 minutes ago, Skort said:

No more world ending threats, no more big bad guy that wants to rule all and mess up the lives of everybody. 

The current set up is for a universe-ending threat. So bad that Rose wants to travel back in time to stop it.

Don't think that's in the cards unless the new dev team will outright ignore the open threads of SF5.

6 hours ago, Skort said:

What if we just get some minor threats if any and some sort of tournament where all these fighters get to prove their strenght ? Add in a bunch of character interactions and "what if's" in arcade endings , intro / dialogues between characters that never even met one another in the story etc ? 

PS : not saying they should go this route , but if they are, would you be ok with this ? Or you really hoping they solve whatever is supposed to happen after 3rd strike ? 

City level, nation level, planet level... i don't give much fucks about the size of the threat tbh

Just give me any story that justify a tournament or whatever context with fighters from all corners of the world, that clash with other martial artists and rep their roots, whatever "roots" are (martial art, nation, culture etc), bringing new flavours to SF

More anime fighters punchkicking eachother in the face and less G.I.Joe bullshit pls

Go dig in martial arts culture, combat sports world, iconic figures history and so on, that's best SF

6 hours ago, Skort said:

For a while I've wanted things to stay interesting, but not constantly be escalating the scope to end of the world levels, or at least differentiate the threats. I've used this comparison before, but with the Avengers films, they capped off the first big one with an alien invasion, it changed the scope of the universe, but then they went with a story that dealt with political issues and robots, then they ramped up to a universe-spanning-close to things and now are messing with a combo of smaller, personal stories and multi-verse antics.

With the G threat, I'm curious to see how that'll go and how the Illuminati will be dealt with. Will they be exposed to the world even further than SFV, defeated? Slink off into the shadows to return at a later date? Change leadership and become not so crazy? Either way, after those are dealt with in maybe SF6, say SF7 is a palette cleanser, not a dream match, but I'd be interested to see martial arts movie tropes, but bring the scale down again. 

Have a tournament with another plot going on, not end of the world, but maybe there's a tournament with a generous cash prize & mystery. The tournament organizer turns out to have had some priceless artifact taken by some rival group or something and the tournament is a way to recruit a fighter to get it back and offer a nice payday. I don't know, someone could craft something better, but I like the idea of having a quest or adventure, like in Jackie chan's armor of God. You get people fighting for riches, to investigate something possibly sinister in the background, and to prove their strength. It's note dire, but it's requiring some folks' attention.  It could be a fun, broad way to have different motivations:

-Makoto wants to use the money to repair her dojo and expand the reach of it

-Chun Li  wants to show off her new skills, but also senses something isn't right about the whole thing

-Karin doesn't care about the money obviously, but wants to know about the artifact and where the tourny holder got it

-Q knows exactly what the artifact is, doesn't trust anyone to share the info, but wants to track the thief, destroy the artifact and to thrash the tournament holder

-An unknown part has hired Juri to sow chaos along the way and make sure that the tourny organizer does not get the artifact back

-Rolento, who has founded his own small band of mercs, is looking to recruit. His victory would be a nice bit of propoganda and the artifact would look great in his command centre

-Blanka, having since become a bit of a celebrity, is wanting to use the funds to help fight deforestation. You can canonize Mai Lin from the cartoon as a partner in this endeavour and kinda make him Michelle Chang of the series. The fighter who tries to help nature. I think it could be a cool direction for him instead of retreading the past. His mom is proud of him, he made Blanka-chan which, had issues, but started to take off, so why not move the needle forward?

Just my rough thoughts. I wanna see different levels to SF stories; some crime, some philosophical about the nature of the fight, etc. We've put the pause on Bison and potentially may see the Illuminati tale dealt with and closed, so we can diversity things for a bit. 

3 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

Ryu wants to test the results of his training.  He gets his friend Ken to pay for a tournament.  It's a tag team tournament.  Everyone is there.  Some for the tournament.  Some for secret organization bullshit in the background.  The end.

The biggest upshot? You get to call it the "Masters Tournament" where Ken gets to spend a few million dollars to make a great dad-joke

10 hours ago, BootyWarrior said:

Anyone who isn't a fan of M. Bison, Gill, Seth (pre-SFV), G would be ok with a more casual story. There shouldn't be any tournament focused stories in a series called Street Fighter.

That's not true. I'm a fan of Bison (who knew?!) and I am okay with a lowkey, casual and personal Bison character story we see the master martial artist behind the extravagance and megalomania.

Also most of the fighting in SF happens before and after tournaments. The tournaments are a soft plot device to get all these characters to around the same time and space long enough to interact.

9 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

Ryu wants to test the results of his training.  He gets his friend Ken to pay for a tournament.  It's a tag team tournament.  Everyone is there.  Some for the tournament.  Some for secret organization bullshit in the background.  The end.

16 hours ago, Skort said:

That would be a good thing specially they are now focusing on Luke, that's the way how they should start if they want something fresh and easy, minus everything in the past but keeping them existing.

They should just make Luke stay away not in the SAVE THE WORLD thing motivation it would work. the only problem was they establish something about Luke's dad. Yet it's not fully push through.

But As long they  keep everything about Luke and make sure that the secret organization thing not interested to him. It could work it's like the an era after nation wars and everyone are just living their life while the threats still do exist but not something to happen soon.

20 minutes ago, BootyWarrior said:
  • SF1
  • SFA series
  • 3rd Strike
  • SFV

Aren't centred around tournaments.  

There is debate around SF1 but SF2, SF3, and SF4 all used a tournament plot device to get characters together. Even if their respective stories take place before, during, and after the tournaments - sometimes by months or years. That's at least half the series.

So Street Fighter has a healthy mix of actual street fighting and more glamorous/epic outings.

1 hour ago, BootyWarrior said:

Capcom doesn't acknowledge SF1 as a tournament. The majority of SF games aren't tournament focused.

Tournament: 
SF2
SF4
SF3

Not Tournament:

SF1
SFA
SF5

I don't see a majority. 3S is a chapter in SF3 which centers around the Illuminati and Gill's Tournament. To count it as a separate entry is disingenuous. 

1 minute ago, DarthEnderX said:

The other plot I want to see:

The UN forms an anti-martial arts crime bullshit task force finally.  Governments assign agents to it.
Guile - US Military

Viper - CIA

Chun Li - Interpol

Cammy - MI6

Abel - Brought in by Guile as freelancer

Absolutely. Heidern & the Ikari Team in KoF are the perfect Blueprint. Go with that and you have a very interesting future for those characters.

14 minutes ago, Shakunetsu said:

Sf2 is still kinda floating state regarding tournament

No it isn't. Dan makes a direct reference to it in SF4 to Blanka. But there was no final match, the entire thing fell apart at the end as the nations of the world and our Street Fighters converged onto Bison's secret hideout.

Bison bravely fought off one intruder after the other, and then in a final act of courage to protect all that he loves - Bison destroyed himself. The blast was so massive it wiped out everything in a 5 mile radius (except those with plot armor). Not one finger was laid on Master Bison that day. ❤️

KpkBKme.png

Here is a what if question:

Remember this during Ultra SF4, The Rumor about Retsu because of that Shinkiro illustration

What if instead we get Retsu instead of Decapre 

But Retsu is a clone of Gouken but without the SHOTO style gameplay, More Karateka Gameplay can be a mix of Gouken non-shoto special along with Makotos and Dan,

No Tatsu, No Fireballs or even some sort of DP.

Would people praise it or hate it? Would had it been better than Decapre in USF4 as the final character?

56 minutes ago, Shakunetsu said:

KpkBKme.png

Here is a what if question:

Remember this during Ultra SF4, The Rumor about Retsu because of that Shinkiro illustration

What if instead we get Retsu instead of Decapre 

But Retsu is a clone of Gouken but without the SHOTO style gameplay, More Karateka Gameplay can be a mix of Gouken non-shoto special along with Makotos and Dan,

No Tatsu, No Fireballs or even some sort of DP.

Would people praise it or hate it? Would had it been better than Decapre in USF4 as the final character?

Well Retsu's playstyle would have been more in line with Makoto's. There arts are very similar.  So if anything he would have been a Makoto clone.

Edit: Also 90% of the Decapre hate as because Capcom made such a big deal about this last hidden characters and that no one had guessed the right answer thus far. Decapre was one of the most common characters people thought the last character would be. The hate was less about Decapre and more about how Capcom revealed her.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
3 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Well Retsu's playstyle would have been more in line with Makoto's. There arts are very similar.  So if anything he would have been a Makoto clone.

Tbh i seen this being said multiple times and i'm not even sure where it comes from (maybe shitty animations back to SF1?), but in reality Retsu seems to be a Shorinji Kempo master

19 Shorinji Kempo ideas | martial arts, kenpo, karatespacer.png

and in that case his style would be pretty different from Makoto's... like VERY different

A well done Retsu would be visually more like a striker-grappler hybrid with kinda short range light combos of quick multiple strikes done as fast/volume thing rather than look for the single heavy destructive strike, some random light on the feet kicking (quick snap kicks, flying kicks etc) more at distance and both offensive and defensive flashy wrist control throws

On general all about technique and fast punch-kick-grappling sequences, no power/toughness kind of style

Edited by CESTUS III
23 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

As other's have said, Retsu doesn't use Karate at all.  He uses Shorinji Kempo.  Which is a Japanese adaptation of Shaolin Kung Fu.

Edited by DarthEnderX
2 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

As other's have said, Retsu doesn't use Karate at all.  He uses Shorinji Kempo.  Which is a Japanese adaptation of Shaolin Kung Fu.

It's just a what if thing if he was a CLONE ALSO too but not a Doll clone a different clone

I was measuring the tolerance on the community or doing a survey the reason what makes people dislike clone despite there gameplan are unique in some way.

24 minutes ago, YagamiFire said:

@Daemos

Can you please comment on the part of this video I've timestamped? (7:52)

It's true! He's such a great character with a unique but almost chameleon-like playstyle. His repertoire allows him join any fighting engine and still remain faithful to the core tenants of the gameplan. Few characters can pull off the switch between being one of the fastest characters to one of the slowest, and be equally strong in both, EQUALLY AUTHENTIC. In all his recent outings - KOFAS, SF5, and even his modded addition to MvC2, Bison is just chef's kiss! He was confirmed to be alive during SF3 (which is past ASF) and he should be playable! You guys can do whatever you want with the story, Shadaloo is gone whatever but he should be playable! So glad that Max understands this.

Edited by Daemos
11 minutes ago, Daemos said:

they should be shelved so we get Drunken Fist Master Lee.

We are kinda on the same situation regarding that.

I'm still having thoughts why they are hesitate with Drunken Master Lee, At first I was thinking to make the ratings more lower to be possible

Then they add Vtrigger Knife Cody. It's like they aren't that interested with SF1 characters

I used to remember before Ken's announcement for SFV I had Mike, Joe, Lee, Eagle and Geki as part of request along with Wraith and Mike Haggar.

Edited by Shakunetsu
2 minutes ago, Shakunetsu said:

Juri is inevitable, and even NOW more inevitable than Ken Masters lol 

Ken should totally be part of every SF game going forward as well. 

He is a very iconic character as well. Just don't mess up his face like Capcom did in SF5  >.<

PS : If Capcom actually thinks people will accept Luke to be Ryu's rival as opposed to Ken, they are in for a surprise.

Edited by Skort
9 minutes ago, Skort said:

I'm just glad that every potential roster video i come across, there's an agreement that Juri should be part of every SF game going forward.

This makes me happy. Yes, yes it does.

han-juri-Street-Fighter-game-art-5348424

Of course Juri should return! The Bison Army will never forget the tentative alliance we had during SFxT or when you donned our Lord's clothing in SF5 in honor of him. Together, we can face the forces of boring do-gooders once again! Also we need authentic reps for lesbianism!

Edited by Daemos

I would love Necro, but I think Remy in his 3S form is probably the least likely character to appear in the future out of all of SF3. Yes even Twelve I think has a better chance.

I wouldn't mind though, charge characters are always welcome. I just hope if he does come back, they further differentiate him from Guile/Nash - unrecognizably. 

12 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Now I have to spend this weekend creating a new character because I'm not letting that moveset go to waste. 🤣

And apparently you have to give him a flaming flying kick too lol

Retsu_Taxx.jpg

12 hours ago, Skort said:

I'm just glad that every potential roster video i come across, there's an agreement that Juri should be part of every SF game going forward.

This is not debatable

Took SF decades realize they had to give me a korean/TKD rep to help complete the WW martial artists collection

I don't even consider Juri simply the best SF4 new character (wich she is, and not due popularity), but essentially a SF2er that joined the party too late

Juri have to stay.

11 hours ago, Daemos said:

I would love Necro, but I think Remy in his 3S form is probably the least likely character to appear in the future out of all of SF3. Yes even Twelve I think has a better chance.

Wich is a shame, Remy is the ideal french SF char

They just need to fix what gone wrong back to his SF3 days him to make him actually cool as he's supposed to be

On 4/15/2022 at 1:31 AM, DarthEnderX said:

Okay, well, clones are just a really DUMB story conceit then.  We have too many already.  Should never have had any to begin with.  And if we ever get another in the future, it should only be a physical body for Kage.

Agree on clones, anything beyond Ken (who got exceptional moveset characterization in SFV, hope they go further with 6) can fuck off

Btw Kage already have a physical body, is called Ryu

Only ideal future for Kage is to become irrelevant (would say disappear, but Ryu story shows that's not the way) and never be playable again, with a good middle finger to EvilRyu crowd edgy shit tastes

12 hours ago, Daemos said:

I actually find myself agreeing with most of what Max said - is it a generational thing? Max also shares my sentiment about Yun/Yang - They should be one stance character, or they should be shelved so we get Drunken Fist Master Lee.

I'm usually pretty 50/50 on shit that Max say, but that's an one-two he got right

Edited by CESTUS III
10 hours ago, ShockDingo said:

I enjoyed Max's vid too, but I want Adon & Necro back, I don't care lol. Adon''s too fun and full of ego. I also feel Necro is so underrated and could really bring something to the lore if we get more focus on him and Effie's lives pre and post Illuminati kidnapping.

Yes Adon should return... Sagat has turned too goody-goody for my taste. Evil Muay Thai is the way.

Having said that there is hope for Sagat still. If SF6' story starts with him being abducted by a MYSTERIOUS MAN that brainwashes him and implants an upgraded FSE into his eye. Not only will we get the pre-SF4 villian we all love, but we would've restored the eyesight of the poor man. We could then finally rename him to something casually evil and not too conspicuous like 'Violent Sagat'. The 4 Heavenly Kings will be a happy family again. 😢