Stage Select

The Street Fighter VI Story Thread: Shadaloo Died so Luke Could Live!

Man, they made Guile look gooooood. Even more, I think in game he actually looks better than in the concept art, so that makes me even more excited to see the other characters in action. Stage looks sick too. 

I honestly can't understand where all of this spark was during SFV's lifetime. It just seems so simple and natural and easy to get people excited about Street Fighter. It's fucking Street Fighter after all.

7 hours ago, CESTUS III said:

you mean as place on the foodchain, or keep them the same but getting some W?

Guess to some extent will be both, with cast being full of new young characters i think all vets are going to look way more powerful both because direct comparision with newcomers (we already seen Li Fen getting schooled with no effort by Chun in the trailer) and because given the time-skip, they will be actually improved

I don't necessarily even just mean about getting some wins. Just more about them respecting the character. They have constantly infantilzed the character and treated her, pun intended, like some fragile China doll. It's mystifying why they don't want the character to appear somewhat tough and competent,  or have any narrative relevance. I still can't believe how ANYONE at Capcom thought her treatment in 4(and especially 5) was anything but a disaster of epic proportions.

How did that make it to the final stage? Chun Li did NOTHING to hinder Shadaloo in 4 or 5, they made her look supremely stupid, constantly had her needing rescuing, interrupted fights she was about to have literally about 6 times, allowed you to play as her only once(!) and handed the glory of dealing Shadaloos final blow to Rashid. I couldn't have written a worse story for her if I tried. The best thing they can do now is just let the character have some dignity on the sidelines since they fucked up her major story arc.

And Cammy in 5? The less said the better......

15 minutes ago, Saturius said:

I don't necessarily even just mean about getting some wins. Just more about them respecting the character. They have constantly infantilzed the character and treated her, pun intended, like some fragile China doll. It's mystifying why they don't want the character to appear somewhat tough and competent,  or have any narrative relevance. I still can't believe how ANYONE at Capcom thought her treatment in 4(and especially 5) was anything but a disaster of epic proportions.

How did that make it to the final stage? Chun Li did NOTHING to hinder Shadaloo in 4 or 5, they made her look supremely stupid, constantly had her needing rescuing, interrupted fights she was about to have literally about 6 times, allowed you to play as her only once(!) and handed the glory of dealing Shadaloos final blow to Rashid. I couldn't have written a worse story for her if I tried. The best thing they can do now is just let the character have some dignity on the sidelines since they fucked up her major story arc.

The problem with Chun-Li is that her creators were - and are - supremely misogynistic without even realising it. When you read the interviews to the developers and learn they already wanted to give her a SHORTER LIFEBAR, you know things couldn't end well.
Because, come on, after all she's a woman...

They continue the trend of using non-real aircraft on Guile's background. I miss when they featured real planes.

Though it's fun to try and identify references. The plane looks like a giant F-16 with the air intakes of a Rafale maybe, or an Intruder?

Edited by mikros
1 hour ago, Saturius said:

I think on SFV Chun Li growth focus was about show her switching priority from her -understandable- obsession on Bison to avenge somebody dead (dad) to something higher, the will to risk her life to save and protect somebody who's still alive (Li Fen)

Life > death, future > past, love > hate and all that shit, wich translate nicely to the Chun we see today

If Bison incarnated negativity and all related with it, her becoming a motherly protective figure instead a force of revenge is someway a moral win of some sort, i guess

Bad written? Probably

They found many ways to make her weak and dumb? Yeah

But that's the interpretation i can make out of it... IF this is what they was going for, i don't even think it was bad development, just terribly executed

After all the power used as a tool not to defeat, but to protect was a central theme in SFV Ryu evolution too

About Cammy idk lol... i mean, yes they wanted to make us consider important her bond with Decapre, but most would just remember that beside getting big W against out of shape close to retirement cop and another W against a Decapre that does'nt feel particular powerful in ASF, her whole strong indipendent gimmick got bit destroyed by the need of powerful babysitter Juri to be protected from Vega, who would have defeated her 2 times out 2

I mean Cammy tag team with Decapre (when Decapre stepped in during 2nd fight) and get a revenge W (even if  as 2v1) on Vega after their first encounter would have made her look bit weak, but damage could have been partially absorbed by reasoning on the fact that being only one step below Sagat, Vega is still a pretty powerful above average opponent, and even if not  a ppure win could still have left Cammy with something

But no, even when facing Vega 2v1, it's still Juri taking again the role of repel Vega, while Cammy/Decapre just switch to lesser threat represented by dolls

Conclusion, while i may understand what they had in mind for Chun, i had no fucking idea what they was thinking for Cammy lol

(copy/paste from reddit)

I understand the idea of new look, new redesign, new themes. So it makes sense to why everyone with a classic theme would get a new one.

That said, I really don't know how I'm supposed to feel about this. It just sounds like a generic techno remix with some Asian flair. I'm not getting any feel for Chun-Li with this. If they didn't want to use her old classic theme, I'll understand. But at least have her theme feel reflective on her changes from a fighter of justice to a Sifu teaching kung fu. I def feel they could've done Chun's new theme better that better expresses who she is.

15 hours ago, Chun-Li_Forever said:

Ew...eyebrows.
And where the fuck is his theme song?! 

12 hours ago, Chun-Li_Forever said:

(Nash confirmed dead)

I mean, he was confirmed dead before.  Doesn't mean much when resurrection is on the table.

6 hours ago, ShockDingo said:

New character theme!!!!

Wow.  That sounds like crap...

They aren't going to give the old characters remixes of their classic themes?  That sucks.  Strike 2 SF6!

Edited by DarthEnderX
1 hour ago, DarthEnderX said:

Wow.  That sounds like crap...

They aren't going to give the old characters remixes of their classic themes?  That sucks.  Strike 2 SF6!

Given that i feel game will be full of contents i think classic shit will make it in SF6 

Btw wich was strike 1? 😆

2 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

I mean, he was confirmed dead before.  Doesn't mean much when resurrection is on the table.

I also find the fact that Capcom keeps stressing that Shadaloo is destroyed in these early bios to be a sort of Chekhov's Gun. Either the story will lead to something/someone Shadaloo related rising or they want us to believe that they are leading us into something Shadaloo related only to do the switcheroo at the end. "It wasn't Shadaloo or the Illuminati, these were the bad guys all along! GOTCHA"

Either way is a cop out. 

Edited by Daemos

Not a fan of the themes either.

They're pushing this urban hip-hop thing hard, in both music and design, but personally it does absolutely nothing for me. It's definitely inspired, and some characters fit well under that theme, but others... Not at all.

Also, Guile looks amazing, but man the background characters are awful. I swear, they looked nice in SFIV, got worse in V and now are even worse in VI.

Maybe it's because the increasing gap in quality between them and the main character models? They definitely look completely out of place when next to stuff like Guile's new model.

19 minutes ago, Phantom_Miria said:

Not a fan of the themes either.

They're pushing this urban hip-hop thing hard, in both music and design, but personally it does absolutely nothing for me. It's definitely inspired, and some characters fit well under that theme, but others... Not at all.

That's only thing that disturb me so far, the whole bright colors spray paint effect feels more forced to chase some marketing shit, rather than benefit the game aesthetic and agree, does'nt fit all characters... like works well for a Luke but suck for Ryu, will be great on Kimberly but does'nt fit Chun Li 

I don't like fake commentators too, but does'nt bother me at all because i'm almost sure will be possible turn that shit off

12 hours ago, Chun-Li_Forever said:

(copy/paste from reddit)

I understand the idea of new look, new redesign, new themes. So it makes sense to why everyone with a classic theme would get a new one.

That said, I really don't know how I'm supposed to feel about this. It just sounds like a generic techno remix with some Asian flair. I'm not getting any feel for Chun-Li with this. If they didn't want to use her old classic theme, I'll understand. But at least have her theme feel reflective on her changes from a fighter of justice to a Sifu teaching kung fu. I def feel they could've done Chun's new theme better that better expresses who she is.

At first I didn't like it at all but it's kinda growing on me. I think it kinda fits Chuns new graceful state of mind thing they are trying to go for with the character. Sort of an esoteric higher consciousness vibe.

Edited by Saturius
28 minutes ago, Chun-Li_Forever said:

We got taunts!

Taunts are fun but @StreetFighter saying shit like "will Ryu be a Chad" give me fucking shivers 

An american marketing division member should be executed with a katana every time a post like this happen 

Said that, Luke's hadouken is a over9000 level troll move lol, imagine do that vs an hado spammer 🤣  

They're doing animations and dubs for specific char vs char interactions, the level of attention to little details is impressive af 

Hope we will get CvS like special intros too

Edited by CESTUS III
9 minutes ago, CESTUS III said:

Taunts are fun but @StreetFighter saying shit like "will Ryu be a Chad" give me fucking shivers 

It's disgusting. How dare they equate his mastery, stoicism, and masculinity with something as trivial and repugnant as "Chad". Fuck this timeline!

10 minutes ago, Phantom_Miria said:

The " how do you do, fellow gamers" vibe is definitely strong in this one.

i SWEAR i was tempted to add pic of Buscemi on skater kid mode lol 

Btw i'm not much bothered by marketing campaign going full retard, but if there's strong enough desire to prostitute the brand, crap can reach contents too and that's what shivers really are about

Edited by CESTUS III
25 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

Ibuki design is 🔥. I like Chun's too even though it's wildly out of character 

Yeah, some are nice, too bad many are overdesigned and go waaay out character

These are the ones i like,because they look shit the actual character could wear

Spoiler

vega-sfduel-art.jpgehonda-streetfighter-duel-art.jpgSakura Street Fighter: Duel Artwork by Xin Wang | TFG Fighting Game News

gief2

5 minutes ago, Chun-Li_Forever said:

- First look at character select screen + animations before garage door opens up

- First look at Chun's pre-match animation (and more of Jamies)

- Chun vs Jamie vs screen faces (no head tilts)

- Spinning Bird Kick is back

- Chun's round win animation

- half of Chun's Victory animation

-i really like KO getting different camera angle, feels it make it more important

-DamnD falling from above feels follow up of trailer where he spy on you from the rooftop, cool

-intro animation (enter the stage) keep being awesome

-Can't tell why did'nt noticed this much before, but omg we are reaching Tekken levels of sparks for simple strikes, wish they tone it bit down

-Not sure why they must start in a fucking garage looking place

AHHHH! SF STORY FAM! IT'S BACK! IMMA BOUT TO DO THIS AGAIN! 

(disclaimer that all winquotes are subject to change until the final release, so my reactions and thought may change accordingly)

That said, here we go again, the FIRST win quote to Chun of SF6

Ryu to Chun-Li: "We've known each other for a long time, yet I still learn something new every time we fight."

First thing that comes to mind is that it's a similar win quote against her in Street Fighter 4: "Your kicks are so impressive! No matter how many times we fight, I remain in awe."
Obviously, there is a great amount of respect that Ryu has for Chun-Li, even though you can count the number of times these two fought or worked together on one hand.
But even still, even after all these years and the time skip from 3 to 6, there remains that same admiration and respect between fighters. Can't wait to see if and how they'll interact during World Tour mode.

Being on sites like Reddit, Twitter, and YouTube, it’s startling how many people think that Oro ends up training Ryu in the former’s Third Strike ending. Even with SFV expanding on it and saying that neither was aware of the other at the time, a lot of people have this misconception that Oro is Ryu’s teacher now when he doesn’t want anything to do with Oro. 

Might just be me being a nerd, but I hate how misinformation that can be easily disproved can still be believed.

7 hours ago, Dragonfave723 said:

U80i1bs.png

2VyuXfv.png

First off, God, that win portrait for Chun-Li looks freaking beautiful!

Chun-LI to Luke: "You may possess raw power, but you lack refinement. You've still got a long way to go."

Chun-Li def shows her teacher side when she's takes a moment to point out some things for the young blood. Nothing too special, not sure how important their relationship will be moving forward, since we know nothing about the story for 6. It is worth noting the they both teach martial arts, but this quote (as well as Luke's) shows which one has more experience and maturity.

Luke to Chun-Li: "Those kicks pack some serious oomph! One solid hit and it could've been lights out."

Luke fan-boying and acknowledging Chun's famous kicks is nothing new for us seasoned vets. Luke recognizes that he could've gotten his ass knocked out if he wasn't careful, which could speak to his lack of experience with the world warriors.

Editted: Thank you @CESTUS III

Edited by Chun-Li_Forever
11 hours ago, CESTUS III said:

That's only thing that disturb me so far, the whole bright colors spray paint effect feels more forced to chase some marketing shit, rather than benefit the game aesthetic and agree, does'nt fit all characters... like works well for a Luke but suck for Ryu, will be great on Kimberly but does'nt fit Chun Li 

I don't like fake commentators too, but does'nt bother me at all because i'm almost sure will be possible turn that shit off

The characters have different effects specifically for them. Specifically to fit them.

That's why Ryu has black calligraphy ink, Chun-Li has water colors, Luke has spraypaint, etc