Stage Select

The Street Fighter VI Story Thread: Shadaloo Died so Luke Could Live!

35 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

Being on sites like Reddit, Twitter, and YouTube, it’s startling how many people think that Oro ends up training Ryu in the former’s Third Strike ending. Even with SFV expanding on it and saying that neither was aware of the other at the time, a lot of people have this misconception that Oro is Ryu’s teacher now when he doesn’t want anything to do with Oro.

Would say Ryu new design may further push that idea due cloth color, even if from Capcom own words new design takes inspiration from Gouken lol

37 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

Might just be me being a nerd, but I hate how misinformation that can be easily disproved can still be believed.

To be fair i have hard time blame it on non-fans or barely-fans crowds, when even on story threads we had similar made up facts that refuse to die lol

5 hours ago, CESTUS III said:

-Can't tell why did'nt noticed this much before, but omg we are reaching Tekken levels of sparks for simple strikes, wish they tone it bit down

Considering the insane hype and success of Tekken 7, I'm not sure 'toning it down' in that regard is necessarily apt advice.

Every normie I know that has seen this game in action has expressed interest in buying it. NONE of them got SF5

4 minutes ago, YagamiFire said:

The characters have different effects specifically for them. Specifically to fit them.

That's why Ryu has black calligraphy ink, Chun-Li has water colors, Luke has spraypaint, etc

Yeah, that's cool, now that we had some gameplay going on i noticed it too

Still feel bit too much in terms of volume, but definitely appreciated that the effect try to "respect" characters personal vibe 👍

20 minutes ago, Chun-Li_Forever said:

Chun-LI to Luke: "You may possess new power, but you lack refinement. You've still got a long way to go."

The first interesting thing that stands out is Chun-Li mentioning Luke's "new power". Since he's gonna be the new main character, I'm curious if this game is gonna give him something along the lines of a Satsui No Hado, or something crazy anime protag-kun super power that we've yet to see.

Chun there say "RAW power" not "new"

Essentially Chun say Luke may punch hard as fuck, but with that alone and without better technique he's not going to reach very high levels

Wich make sense, we know Balrog (who likely can punch way harder, SFV quotes hint it too) may be the most powerful physical puncher in SF world, and he's far from being S tier material

2 hours ago, BornWinner said:

Being on sites like Reddit, Twitter, and YouTube, it’s startling how many people think that Oro ends up training Ryu in the former’s Third Strike ending. Even with SFV expanding on it and saying that neither was aware of the other at the time, a lot of people have this misconception that Oro is Ryu’s teacher now when he doesn’t want anything to do with Oro. 

Might just be me being a nerd, but I hate how misinformation that can be easily disproved can still be believed.

Even in SRK storythread in the past people and recent was talking that is something gonna happen and Ryu is will indeed be under Oro or something that they will be a teacher student.

Only few I recall was never thought way and most of the regular in threads fanfic of Ryu's future is with Oro. It's hard to deny because of how many times some reference Oro over the rock as there fanfic as to justify Ryu's future.

c72tKNE.png

It's kind weird and a blatant act of being disingenuous to deny now that some claimed they never into that Ryu fanfic under Oro. if they reference it multiple times and reasoned about it, that "HE" is the most that UPLOAD THAT PICTURE MOST of the time than anyone in the thread. AND the number one that FANCIED into that idea by constantly talking about it. Especially if you can still dig the achieves HAHA. The Irony

We all know who the one and Number One having his favorite image as reference. HAHA

It's like darthenderx denying to be a completionist, i'm a ZEKU shill when where talking about masters in fanfic sense and the other one is? haha

I won't deny. I too was in that kind of perception because of the influence on that idea and believe that might be the closest but mine is in a different way like my perception was Ryu learning a new technique with Oro instead to improved Ryu basic techniques, yet I was late with that kinda after MVCi.

I did look a second look after someone pointed it out later when Oro reappeared in SFV that it is not and Ryu is not interested under his wing. Which confirms that that ending where Oro is on the top of the rock isn't something solid to rely into as a clear interest of Ryu to stay with Oro.

Edited by Shakunetsu
1 hour ago, ShockDingo said:

I like that Luke still has that in-awe state with the vets of the series.

Every time i think about newcomers (even glorified ones) SF3 Alex ever come to mind... thay gave him that hero role, that very ambiguous -imho- win over Gill and yet they threated him like a total noob when later he meet Ryu

Then Sean losing bad in tourneys vs nobodies, Ibuki and Mika needing to tag team to just contain Balrog, Ed throwing psychofireballs only to see Urien lazy destroy it with one hand... SF loves to keep young new people on check lol 😆

Luke right now (or at least pre-time skip) is just naturally gifted and have good SF motivations like his hate for terrorists and love for fighting... but that's about it, SFV placed him around Guile level and Guile himself was'nt exactly painted as exceptional in SFV lol (may be wrong but think his greatest feat in whole ASF has been beat a Doll)

He's talented to be already there at such young age, but he still have long road ahead indeed

I know he's not everyone's cup of tea, but he's really been growing on me. He's real earnest.

Tbh i still believe he was decent/good (not great) character even back to SFV and lot of the hate he received was'nt due actual flaws of the char concept wise... actually to me was about time SF got an american MMA guy (even if he did that poorly, in SF6 he's definitely better at that), most trendy martial art in the last decade

Feels like people hated bunch of different things and Luke happened to exist in the line of fire to lot of these things, lol

18 hours ago, CESTUS III said:

Btw wich was strike 1? 

Not using the ArcSys style to make it Alpha 4 land ook like the SF2 anime movie.

12 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

Capcom has been remixing these themes for years. It's high time they get new ones. 

They tried that with Alpha 3 and it sucked.

Don't fuck with shit you can't improve on.  You can't do better than Guile's theme, so you'll inevitably end up with something worse.

Save the new themes for the new characters.

Edited by DarthEnderX
9 minutes ago, DarthEnderX said:

Not using the ArcSys style to make it Alpha 4 land ook like the SF2 anime movie.

They tried that with Alpha 3 and it sucked.

Don't fuck with shit you can't improve on.  You can't do better than Guile's theme, so you'll inevitably end up with something worse.

They did new themes with EX and Street Fighter 3 (for the returning cast) and it was wonderful. Alpha 3 being the odd one out shouldn't sway Capcom for giving characters new themes. Same old shit gets boring and repetitive. 

Just now, Hawkingbird said:

They did new themes with EX and Street Fighter 3 (for the returning cast) and it was wonderful.

I'm not familiar with EX's OST, but hard disagree on SF3.  None of their SF3 themes were better than their classic themes. 

Again, unless you can actually do better, don't bother changing it.

And since you'd be lucky to be able to create more than a few new masterpieces, save them for the newcomers.

46 minutes ago, YagamiFire said:

"It probably won't be better so don't try"

Cool let's just all flock back to the perfection of Street Fighter I

I didn't say don't try.

But they KNOW what the new songs they made sound like.  And they AREN'T better.  So DON'T FUCKING USE THEM. 
They tried to make a new Guile theme.  They made something worse.  So don't use the worse song.

Having a breath of fresh air  is nice

You still get that!  It's not like the returning characters' themes are the only music in the game.  You have the new character's themes.  The munue themea.  And the inevitable "stages not tied to specific characters" themes that we've been getting since SF4. 

Edited by DarthEnderX

Chun-Li to Ryu: "The more I think about it, the more I feel like it was you who brought out my true strength."

Thoughts: CAPCOM PLEASE MAKE THIS CANON!!! I really would love to see some real history and interactions between these two. Did they train together? Did they fight each other and Chun had to push beyond her limit to best him? Did he teach her something that helped in her new chapter of becoming a teacher? I WANT FREAKING ANSWERS!!!

Of course, these two have the utmost respect for each other, acknowledging their strengths, as well as being the one who has pushed them to become better fighters than before. A true definition of a friendly rivalry (canonicity withstanding of course). These two are my favorite characters, I would love to see them interact on a deeper level other than fighting each other, or having Ryu steal her final fight in SFV (still salty over that shit). 

Good quote.

1 hour ago, DarthEnderX said:

It's implied.

But for the record, if you think the song in Guile's SF6 trailer is better than Guile's Theme, choke on a dick.

IMHO.

Good god imagine getting this assblasted about a theme song in a face-punch game when the original theme will certainly also be included. Yeesh

Edited by YagamiFire
2 hours ago, Chun-Li_Forever said:

Chun-Li to Ryu: "The more I think about it, the more I feel like it was you who brought out my true strength."

Thoughts: CAPCOM PLEASE MAKE THIS CANON!!! I really would love to see some real history and interactions between these two. Did they train together? Did they fight each other and Chun had to push beyond her limit to best him? Did he teach her something that helped in her new chapter of becoming a teacher? I WANT FREAKING ANSWERS!!!

When he blasted her at the end of ASF, it supercharged her powers!  *nod* The only explanation.

6 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

But they KNOW what the new songs they made sound like.  And they AREN'T better.  So DON'T FUCKING USE THEM. 
They tried to make a new Guile theme.  They made something worse.  So don't use the worse song.

I don't need it to be better. I want something different. 

What is this new Guile theme you keep bitching about? Capcom hasn't released it yet

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

I don't need it to be better. I want something different. 

Cool.  I can point you to the 20+ completely new songs SF5 had.  But sure, keep pretending you don't get any new music unless you throw out all the old music.

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

What is this new Guile theme you keep bitching about? Capcom hasn't released it yet

I'm assuming that the song that plays during Guile's trailer is his theme for this game.  At first I thought maybe it was just a random trailer theme, but seeing that Chun Li's theme is different, I'm assuming his is also different, and that that's it.

Edited by DarthEnderX

Jamie to Chun-Li: Yo, it's an honor! Thanks for helpin' me train!

Thoughts: No mention of Yun or Yang? No "auntie Chun-Li" to make her feel old? 

The twins have (somewhat) an established relationship in SFIV. So I thought at least a mention of them, or something. Or like "Yun and Yang weren't joking, your kicks are strong" kinda deal. It more or less feels like a run-of-the-mill quote: acknowledge, thank, leave. 

1 minute ago, DarthEnderX said:

Cool.  I can point you to the 20+ completely new songs SF5 had.  But sure, keep pretending you don't get any new music unless you throw out all the old music.

I'm not talking about SF5. Since SF6 wants to give old characters new themes I absolutely all for it. Can't be remixing the same old shit forever. It's already become old hat for me. 

8 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

1- Not using the ArcSys style to make it Alpha 4 land ook like the SF2 anime movie.

2- They tried that with Alpha 3 and it sucked.

1- Oh ok... i start from the premise that i've accepted the ratio of stylization/realism they gone for (as to me still looks like SF style), and i try to judge it within that premise

If game looked like a western Mortal Kombat shit i would have not accepted the premise, and straight abandoned SF lol

Idk wich is my ideal SF style, surely bit more anime looking, but given i can't change shit i can only judge what we get and what we get imho still looks a japanese game and the quality seems pretty high... even if is'nt the direction i wished for i'm very satisfied of what i've seen so far

Specially the amount of care and attention to details, feels the opposite of the mediocrity shitfest SFV got us used to, where shit was done in "that's good enough (i guess)" style and never fixed much regardless how much fans called it ugly or ridicolous

2- I'm not much bothered by new music... i'm pretty sure SF6 will have tons of every kind of contents, including old themes, remixes etc... of course between new one and nostalgia one the former is going to end up in vanilla and latter either unlockable or DLC

Half OT- Same shit as costumes basically... i prefer classic design for almost every vet we seen so far: on my copy i will set for sure Classic Ryu, Cammy, Chun and Guile as the standard.

For Luke i would prefer more MMA look rather than generic urban clothes, so either SFV version or some alt that make him look like an actual pro fighter.

I'm curious to see better new Ken, but will probably return to SFV version (wich will probably look much better in SF6) if avaible

To don't sound too negative, some WWs/returning ones we still did'nt seen are going to get pretty good redesign in SF6, will use it as default: Gief, Sim, Blanka, Honda, Rashid for sure, waiting to judge Akuma, Ed and Dee Jay to see if they have better alternatives

Essentially even if game default state does'nt fit my tastes i'm ok with it if they give me the chance of get alterntives to set it up closer to my preferences like they did in SFV

7 hours ago, Chun-Li_Forever said:

Of course, these two have the utmost respect for each other, acknowledging their strengths, as well as being the one who has pushed them to become better fighters than before. A true definition of a friendly rivalry (canonicity withstanding of course). These two are my favorite characters, I would love to see them interact on a deeper level other than fighting each other, or having Ryu steal her final fight in SFV (still salty over that shit). 

Good quote.

To be honest i think canon elements already hint here and there that SF characters know each others and interact even when there are'nt super important canon story events showing us them interact

Take Ken xmas story, we don't have many canon specific episodes of Ken fighting Zangief (if any, maybe SF2 once?), yet in that side-story you have

"Ken looked at his opponent, who he was still holding onto. The large bearded man with the fierce expression smiled faintly at Ken, still in mid-throw position. It was a face that Ken had seen countless times before, an old friend who he had battled many times in the past."

In many cases these characters clearly have an unwritten but implied history of rivalry, friendship etc

Some characters probably meet much less, either because they're actual enemies (that hate each other or even desire to kill each others) or because them clashing have an importance that goes beyond random occasional sparring, example i think any time Sagat face Ryu, even without mean intentions, for him is important af having great importance for his fighter pride and likely does'nt happen often...

Sagat feels the type that may disappear years to train, and show up for a single fight (likely story-documented) to see where he's at as martial artist and then disappear again

But if i think -example- about the WWs that in ASF were in all in Karin's room... these at this point are all old friends, and would interact/help/train with each other even when main chapter canon does'nt tell us so

Safe to say that Ryu and Chun have long time respect for each others

55 minutes ago, DarthEnderX said:

Don't get me wrong.  They are doing a great job with the art style that they chose.  But it's still not the art style I would have chosen.

Yeah i know that feel, but at this point after years of SFV i'm used to worse lol

I'm watching the glass half full: i disliked SFV shit clay artsyle that despite looking cartoonish tried hard to not look too japanese AND they did a shitjob with it, lot of unprofessional mediocre shit and overall feel they barely cared

Now they picked another direction that is'nt deal-breaker but is'nt my ideal either. But at least they're putting passion, money, effort and strong art direction... is not what i would dream for SF, but we are improving

Edited by CESTUS III

Jamie’s CA is brutal😭 

I know that they referenced that he aspire to follow in Yun and Yangs footsteps, but this whole “Devil Within” concept and the fact that he’s basically ripping out someone’s throat basically screams Ansatsuken. 

I wonder if this is supposed to be “Gens Apprentice” ? They both share the whole crop top style and like to let their hair down…spacer.png

10 minutes ago, CESTUS III said:

I'm watching the glass half full: i disliked SFV shit clay artsyle that despite looking cartoonish tried hard to not look too japanese AND they did a shitjob with it, lot of unprofessional mediocre shit and overall feel they barely cared

I really didn't have the impression that they were trying to hide the "Japan-ness" of Street Fighter's design in V.

The models, while generally pretty good, definitely lacked in polish, but if they actually wanted to get rid of Japanese influences I think you would have never seen Menat doing cat poses and other weird nyan shit, and that's just the first example that came to me.

I think V's style was an attempt at improving IV's visual, succeeding in some ways (V is definitely a prettier game than IV, even if IV had more style in other ways) but also resulting unfocused and unpolished in others. It's another consequence of SFV being a messy project in general: I don't think that the creatives at Capcom didn't care or didn't know what they were doing, there's a lot of people passionate about Street Fighter there but the project was mismanaged, was poorly organized, it was rushed, and ended up creating a lot of unpolished stuff, rough edges and lack of clear vision.

58 minutes ago, bakfromon said:

Jamie’s CA is brutal😭 

I know that they referenced that he aspire to follow in Yun and Yangs footsteps, but this whole “Devil Within” concept and the fact that he’s basically ripping out someone’s throat basically screams Ansatsuken. 

I wonder if this is supposed to be “Gens Apprentice” ? They both share the whole crop top style and like to let their hair down…spacer.png

Jamie is so much better than Gen's disciple IMHO.

my only worry is Sean in a way.

19 minutes ago, Phantom_Miria said:

I really didn't have the impression that they were trying to hide the "Japan-ness" of Street Fighter's design in V.

The models, while generally pretty good, definitely lacked in polish, but if they actually wanted to get rid of Japanese influences I think you would have never seen Menat doing cat poses and other weird nyan shit, and that's just the first example that came to me.

Yeah, was'nt an evenly thing(lot of extrnal people got involved too), you still had models wich looked good and Capcom style (another example of SFV style used right was Urien i think), yet there was lot of parts where they felt unsure what the style should look like and gone for bizzarre middle-way where shit still was far from concepts and sure af not-anime,  i'm thinking for example lot of character faces (Alex, Ken, Vega, some females) affected by an awkward kind of stylization that many called as jap-western mix or the way clothes where goofy flat surfaces, rather than the classic sharp way of capcom artworks to sculpt it over characters muscle anatomy (with few exceptions, example of before, Urien suit felt good like a capcom artwork)

Ever felt to me some sort of weak compromise to stay away from the stigma of look too japanese, that in their mind guess was a nono

By comparision despite all problems it had SF4 was far less scared of show it's anime DNA, and on general the ingame result tried hard to stick to Ikeno's style chosen for the game... wich was'nt the best, not even for Ikeno himself (SF3 Ikeno > SF4 Ikeno), but still

Visual side of SF4 had 99 problems too (and overall does'nt look as pretty as SFV), but was very coherent and did'nt felt like it was taking divergent direction from capcom way of stylize shit

48 minutes ago, Phantom_Miria said:

I think V's style was an attempt at improving IV's visual, succeeding in some ways (V is definitely a prettier game than IV, even if IV had more style in other ways) but also resulting unfocused and unpolished in others. It's another consequence of SFV being a messy project in general: I don't think that the creatives at Capcom didn't care or didn't know what they were doing, there's a lot of people passionate about Street Fighter there but the project was mismanaged, was poorly organized, it was rushed, and ended up creating a lot of unpolished stuff, rough edges and lack of clear vision.

Completely agree on this, SFV shows there was also who put passion and effort, first thing that comes to mind, animations were great and absolutely full with touches of class... but as you say so much of SFV art direction was messy af, disorganized, made up involving random people, with lot of shit done with mediocrity spirit with low care when making it, let alone the pride to at least fix shit

Even on easy stuff they were hopeless, see example artworks department where you can't point for sure wich style is supposed to represent the visual soul of the game... we got some lazy bengus, bunch of why you're even here kiki, bunch of nameless author (did'nt know nor i bothered to check) profile pics done for vanilla cast, fucking udon showing up for endings and so on

Game art to me reflected a lot its car crash style overall launch phylosophy "at this point don't even care, just do it and hope sells" lol

Only thing i disagree i that i don't see SFV as evolution f SF4, to me was a very very different direction despite similar (not same) level of stylization

1 hour ago, BornWinner said:

Ryu vs Luke

IMG_5776.png

All that’s missing from this demo is Chun-Li Vs Jamie, Chun-Li mirror, Luke Mirror, and Jamie Mirror.

For comparision, Ryu vs Alex

SF3NG- Your moves become dull when you get too excited!

SF3SI -  We are different, but I respect your fighting spirit. I'd like to challenge you again!

SF3TS- Prove that you’re not all talk!

SFV- Your fists show a lot of potential. I wait for the day we meet again.  

Ryu say to see potential in Alex too, but does'nt say stuff like he remind him his younger self... but is also true this is first time we ear older Ryu speak

But also in SFV vs Luke

This marks the start of your journey to fighting on your own terms

wich again, seems he see Luke as a younger self about to start same kind of martial growth travel around the world

Still strange, feel like personality wise Alex remind me Ryu more than Luke

Edited by CESTUS III