Stage Select

The Guilty Gear general: Getting Wildly Assaulted in the Keyhole

6 hours ago, BornWinner said:

And here is the starter guide for Johnny

It's a small thing but I'm happy he has Ensenga back. It was honestly one of my favorite special moves in Guilty Gear. I was sad it was stolen from him in Xrd. Zweihander just ain't the same.

I just wonder if he can TK it for his infamous instant overhead bs from X2. 

The rest of his kit seems uhhhhhh interesting. They completely axed Bacchus Sigh which I honestly expected but I'm surprised his coins also got axed. Although I'm beginning to see Arcsys's strategy for returning characters and how they approach transitioning them to fit Strive

8 minutes ago, Pair of Rooks said:

Yeah every pot player I know is over the moon about having a jab finally.  Also something something fist not punishable on hit anymore?

What's got you sad?

I was whatever about the Ky berfs until I saw what the top tiers got.

Happy Chaos is still in the game and it looks like they buffed him. He's the biggest reason I don't play anymore.

I think Chaos is overall nerfed. Sure he’s easier to play and 6K is now a starter, but Roll’s distance being nerfed means he won’t cross up as much with it and just shooting a guy took a damage nerf. 

He also got hit with the system buffs. Blue burst being full screen now means he will have to stop playing the game he used to play even if he blocks it and he doesn’t have unburstable combos now. His wall loops also took a hit with wall slumping giving you a ton of burst back.

2 hours ago, BornWinner said:

I think Chaos is overall nerfed. Sure he’s easier to play and 6K is now a starter, but Roll’s distance being nerfed means he won’t cross up as much with it and just shooting a guy took a damage nerf. 

He also got hit with the system buffs. Blue burst being full screen now means he will have to stop playing the game he used to play even if he blocks it and he doesn’t have unburstable combos now. His wall loops also took a hit with wall slumping giving you a ton of burst back.

Kinda yeah, but also what does a damage nerf even mean on someone uninteractable.

And frankly Ino needed wall slump. 

24 minutes ago, Pair of Rooks said:

OK, I inserted quarters for Johnny, and yeah, I'm dropping Ky.   The man's specials seem much more focused for what they're aiming to do, his conversions at range just seem to work, and not once has someone punched my sword.

@Shahenzan how's things on your end?  You Strivin'?

Congratulations on the upgrade from Kyle bro

I'm sussing out how I feel with the patch lol
My first impression was to be thankful for nerfs, but I didn't grasp just how buff the system mechanic changes would make characters. I'm seeing everyone get wall break from round start because of WA, extremely messed up mixups on blocked WA etc. It seems damage is overall way up which is crazy and I do not care for. Positive bonus granting burst is also a big mistake bc it makes breaking the wall with WA pay for itself, and ironically encourages playing lame after getting it so you can get as much burst back as possible if you need it. 

But you know, nago beyblade hits low and his new 6h is pretty criminal so how mad can I really be...?

3 hours ago, Shahenzan said:

Congratulations on the upgrade from Kyle bro

I'm sussing out how I feel with the patch lol
My first impression was to be thankful for nerfs, but I didn't grasp just how buff the system mechanic changes would make characters. I'm seeing everyone get wall break from round start because of WA, extremely messed up mixups on blocked WA etc. It seems damage is overall way up which is crazy and I do not care for. Positive bonus granting burst is also a big mistake bc it makes breaking the wall with WA pay for itself, and ironically encourages playing lame after getting it so you can get as much burst back as possible if you need it. 

But you know, nago beyblade hits low and his new 6h is pretty criminal so how mad can I really be...?

Thx.

I expect once things settle the damage will be the same as S2 but with extra steps.  I know everyone's labbing WA right now but soon we'll look into the new defense mechanic and reconsider the improved blue burst.

All I know rn is I actually like fighting Axl and even HC isn't that bad.  BnBs no longer being burst safe feels so much better.

Back to Johnny Walker tech...

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

This is such a smasher thing to say that I'm not at all surprised it was a Strive player who posted it

That guy plays Goldlewis too so it makes it even funnier.

The real issue is people approaching an ASW like that company knows what they're doing. So they think that things are well thought out when in actually they might be the most "throwing shit at a wall and seeing what sticks" company out there.

On 2/2/2024 at 2:40 AM, Sonero said:

That guy plays Goldlewis too so it makes it even funnier.

The real issue is people approaching an ASW like that company knows what they're doing. So they think that things are well thought out when in actually they might be the most "throwing shit at a wall and seeing what sticks" company out there.

Strive players seem like the 09'ers of GG, just have no sense of where the series has been and are like babies playing their first fighting game.

I think Capcom is more that company you're talking about than ASW but I guess that could also be because where ASW DOES just throw shit against the wall, there are a fuckton of subsystems in the game to potentially correct for it.

1 hour ago, DoctaMario said:

Strive players seem like the 09'ers of GG, just have no sense of where the series has been and are like babies playing their first fighting game.

I think Capcom is more that company you're talking about than ASW but I guess that could also be because where ASW DOES just throw shit against the wall, there are a fuckton of subsystems in the game to potentially correct for it.

Nah, ASW is ass. It just has a super hipsterish cult following so you have to treat it like its the second coming of w/e bullshit they're trying to do. The only reason XX ended up with so many subsystems is because they had to keep putting tape on that shit to make it work.

The thing about Strive is that it more or less gives you an insight into how they make games overall. So all it did was make me take a good hard look at all their older games and its like they're designed by people who made a cool MUGEN and then got a budget. You have characters in this game who've spent their lifespan getting buffs and they're still getting punked by the same shit from week 1 from certain characters.

They know how to overdesign shit because they don't know how to make some basic shit work. The character I play basically doesn't have special moves to use in neutral anymore. She has an overly complicated anti air that doesn't even give her a reward on counterhit anymore and then a bunch of shit that might work.  Hell she has an "anti-fireball" move that isn't even actually all that great against fireballs. Because for some characters, they gave them fireballs that don't count as such for shits and giggles.

Its all malarkey with these cunts.

5 hours ago, Sonero said:

Nah, ASW is ass. It just has a super hipsterish cult following so you have to treat it like its the second coming of w/e bullshit they're trying to do. The only reason XX ended up with so many subsystems is because they had to keep putting tape on that shit to make it work.

The thing about Strive is that it more or less gives you an insight into how they make games overall. So all it did was make me take a good hard look at all their older games and its like they're designed by people who made a cool MUGEN and then got a budget. You have characters in this game who've spent their lifespan getting buffs and they're still getting punked by the same shit from week 1 from certain characters.

They know how to overdesign shit because they don't know how to make some basic shit work. The character I play basically doesn't have special moves to use in neutral anymore. She has an overly complicated anti air that doesn't even give her a reward on counterhit anymore and then a bunch of shit that might work.  Hell she has an "anti-fireball" move that isn't even actually all that great against fireballs. Because for some characters, they gave them fireballs that don't count as such for shits and giggles.

Its all malarkey with these cunts.

I'd agree that a lot of their games are over designed, but overall they're like any other dev in the sense that they have a couple absolute gems and a lot of stuff you'd never really play after it gets supplanted by something newer. Capcom and SNK only have a handful of fighting games they've made that are truly great games and that still hold up years later even though there are plenty of other ones that people still want to play for whatever reason.

Some characters are just badly designed and no matter how many buffs you give them, their tools just aren't suited for the game they're in. That isn't exclusive to asw at all. sounds like the character You're playing is one of those, so why do you keep playing her?

My character was great then she got hammered a bunch of times for no reason because ASW is dumb as shit. Its legit like looking at the top 10 characters of SF5 and going "yeah fuck cammy actually, she's the problem" and leaving JP and Luke untouched.

One of the things Strive beat me over the head was that ASW loves their fucking gimmicks about their game making any type of sense. They aren't going to let a character breath per say. They are going to hamfisted adjust shit so the character "does the thing" to their liking. So you had some characters like Nagoriyuki that got buffs while being at the top so they could do their dumb shit harder for no discernible reason. But what was the reason? They want him to worry less about managing blood and do the dumb shit more.

Honestly its just they way they design things is actually trash and then the player base is out here justifying garbage. "Oh no, you just have to be smarter and " yeah fuck it, put the whole thing up your ass. At least they finally figured out they shouldn't nerf bottom tier characters so that's a start. But they also design like they don't remember shit was a bad idea. Zato in older GGs use to have Eddie come back super fast after he got hit and they inevitably change it because it ends up being dumb. What happens in strive? he'd do a bunch of shit with eddie, bar is spent, 3 seconds later eddie was back. Even when you hit him he was back fast as hell. So what do they do? They end up changing that. Brother in FUCKING fighting games, you already know this motherfucker shouldn't be coming back quickly if he gets hit, so why did you release him that way?

I could probably go on for days about how random so much of this stuff is at times. It'd be fine if they didn't position this series as being well thought out and designed. Like no, its been gibberish. I can play some gibberish ass games so long as we aren't pretending they are stalwarts of game design. I'm thinking about learning HNK because its meme; I loved playing BBTag because the game set out to do one thing, succeeded, and the whole game is admittedly nonsense and they aren't pretending it isn't. But maybe that's the issue. You get a game full of questionable shit and then they go "You know we feel this went a bit too far" while equally preposterous shit stays in the game. We are either playing horseshit or we aren't. If we are playing horseshit then fine. But don't pretend you know what you're doing when you got a character that can whiff buttons and then randomly throw a disjointed hitbox around it that might save him on whiff but also give him a combo because you tried to whiff punish him. If that's whats happening, don't say shit about my character.

But I mean...its an anime game. Some of the stupidest....Look, I had a motherfucker tell me my character was broken because she had a DP and could anti air. Its not even Commando assists level of cutting off vertical space. This dude was mad because if I could figure out where the fuck Millia was going, I could maybe try to DP her out of the air.

This shit isn't serious.

Edit: I'm not trolling. Mad that I could anti air at all. Bro this shit is broken you got a DP that anti airs? Bitch this is a street fighter 2 basic featuer of what in the fuck are you trying to tell me that just hitting a mofo out of the air with a DP is gamebreakginaposdrfepofgndfpoqiwruq3jr5r5wrgfbv;kljsdfn;kj

13 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

Some characters are just badly designed and no matter how many buffs you give them, their tools just aren't suited for the game they're in. That isn't exclusive to asw at all. sounds like the character You're playing is one of those, so why do you keep playing her?

The first thing I thought while reading that part was Alex from SFV.  Received buffs for seven years straight and was still an irrelevant character up until the end.  It didn't matter how many buffs he got because what he was doing just wasn't effective in the SFV meta.  

4 hours ago, Sonero said:

My character was great then she got hammered a bunch of times for no reason because ASW is dumb as shit. Its legit like looking at the top 10 characters of SF5 and going "yeah fuck cammy actually, she's the problem" and leaving JP and Luke untouched.

One of the things Strive beat me over the head was that ASW loves their fucking gimmicks about their game making any type of sense. They aren't going to let a character breath per say. They are going to hamfisted adjust shit so the character "does the thing" to their liking. So you had some characters like Nagoriyuki that got buffs while being at the top so they could do their dumb shit harder for no discernible reason. But what was the reason? They want him to worry less about managing blood and do the dumb shit more.

Honestly its just they way they design things is actually trash and then the player base is out here justifying garbage. "Oh no, you just have to be smarter and " yeah fuck it, put the whole thing up your ass. At least they finally figured out they shouldn't nerf bottom tier characters so that's a start. But they also design like they don't remember shit was a bad idea. Zato in older GGs use to have Eddie come back super fast after he got hit and they inevitably change it because it ends up being dumb. What happens in strive? he'd do a bunch of shit with eddie, bar is spent, 3 seconds later eddie was back. Even when you hit him he was back fast as hell. So what do they do? They end up changing that. Brother in FUCKING fighting games, you already know this motherfucker shouldn't be coming back quickly if he gets hit, so why did you release him that way?

I could probably go on for days about how random so much of this stuff is at times. It'd be fine if they didn't position this series as being well thought out and designed. Like no, its been gibberish. I can play some gibberish ass games so long as we aren't pretending they are stalwarts of game design. I'm thinking about learning HNK because its meme; I loved playing BBTag because the game set out to do one thing, succeeded, and the whole game is admittedly nonsense and they aren't pretending it isn't. But maybe that's the issue. You get a game full of questionable shit and then they go "You know we feel this went a bit too far" while equally preposterous shit stays in the game. We are either playing horseshit or we aren't. If we are playing horseshit then fine. But don't pretend you know what you're doing when you got a character that can whiff buttons and then randomly throw a disjointed hitbox around it that might save him on whiff but also give him a combo because you tried to whiff punish him. If that's whats happening, don't say shit about my character.

But I mean...its an anime game. Some of the stupidest....Look, I had a motherfucker tell me my character was broken because she had a DP and could anti air. Its not even Commando assists level of cutting off vertical space. This dude was mad because if I could figure out where the fuck Millia was going, I could maybe try to DP her out of the air.

This shit isn't serious.

Edit: I'm not trolling. Mad that I could anti air at all. Bro this shit is broken you got a DP that anti airs? Bitch this is a street fighter 2 basic featuer of what in the fuck are you trying to tell me that just hitting a mofo out of the air with a DP is gamebreakginaposdrfepofgndfpoqiwruq3jr5r5wrgfbv;kljsdfn;kj

Look old man, Strive has a loooot of players new to FGs, and most of them young.  That's a good thing even if the discourse is gonna be... special sometimes.  If you're having words with an anime avatar pic of squeakychan you know what you're gonna get.

Balance ain't as great as SF but it's still a lot better than season 1 and a helluva lot better than most anime games ever get.  Gio has less to complain about there than a lot of cast members, from Laust mains to Sol and Nago reminiscing about the good old days.

The inability to whiff punish HC ain't any different than trying to keep out a character that can block while sliding forward -- most archetypes don't care while one of them cares a great fucking deal. Might as well complain that DPs are ass cause of air blocking. Tell your Milia it ain't even optimal.  Rising a2a air gatling convert to grounded juggle into full stage carry and wall break. If you get DPed out of the sky eat the 60 damage and thank your lucky stars they didn't do a real punish. 

On 2/5/2024 at 4:27 PM, Sonero said:

Snip

You're talking about a game that's supposed to be a simplified version of GG so they're going to make it so that certain characters could be played even by smashers. Zato was a sitting duck in AC if Little Eddie got murked so it makes sense that a game with the design philosophy Strive seems to have makes it less punishing for making mistakes than previous games. 

I haven't been following the rebalancing, but are they listening to the community for ideas on this? Because that's probably the worst thing a fighting game dev can do.

RE randomness, ST, and the SF2 series as a whole are rife with randomness. Again, it's not like these idiosyncrasies are exclusive to ASW.

• 1 month later...

Going by the starter guide she actually retains a lot of what made her unique in XX. She's still kind of mid until she gets mahora mode, then goes apeshit, then has to top up. That's pretty cool since they've had so many severe reworks in the past to make them fit Strive's style.

I wonder how good or bad she'll end up being in the long run

Think a lot of people are gonna say they're about this life but aren't.

Its gonna be interesting to see how bad she is outside of Jealous Rage. Feels like that's going to decide the overall strenght of this character.

I was sure he was going to headline season 4 if he got added, but good for those Slayer fans getting him soon. I wonder if they’ll keep the properties of his dash in a game with a dash button.

And because I haven’t seen it posted yet

Edited by BornWinner
  • Sonero changed the title to The Guilty Gear general: Getting Wildly Assaulted in the Keyhole
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2024 at 8:59 PM, Pair of Rooks said:

tl;dw you can hold Dash button, and hold down-back, at the same time. 

Gio used to be able to do that. That's also how Leo's current dash works.

Clickbaiting people with basic info. SMH.