Stage Select

The SF6 Thread: Akuma Incoming!

1 hour ago, Sonero said:

Alex's personality wishes it was half as good as the rehab job Alexs Le did on Luke.

Luke saved SF5 then Le saved Luke.

Yeah but to be fair different eras

Alex had more charisma on screen and better chara design than Luke, without need much smart lines and stuff

He was just supposed to be anime new badass guy who take the role of beat up the Boss, at that he delivered back then

Said that i love the work they did on Luke in SF6 (voice guy in particular, but not only), the way they turned mostly hated char in generally accepted one has been quite surprising... even if tbh i don't think the char gone through much transformation character wise, felt like he's very same guy but somehow less hated by internet people lol

To be honest did'nt had problems with Luke not even before, thought from japanese/anime perspective young cocky american MMA fighter made perfect sense for SF as new stereotype to add to SF collection, so to me was good addition

Only thing i would have prefered is since he's MMA rep should have been much more striking/grappling hybrid, but guess that's part of heavy characterization they did on him... as forearms hint in his chara design 90% of dude's training is see how many heavy bags he can destroy with power punches in a day lol

Reading maybe too much in chara design guess all the obsessive heavy bag gimmick at very begin is started as way to vent all his rage/pain for father's death, if that's the case it would be actually pretty cool

10 minutes ago, B R O W N said:

Parody character = Character I personally don't like

By that measure anyone can be a parody character, lmfao. Let's call Ken a parody of Ryu or Adon a parody of Sagat next. I wanna see how far the mental gymnastics can be taken

Not much mental gimmicks, literally Sakura whole chara design core began as "it's Ryu, but schoolgirl!" lmao

Not even lore wise made sense back then, up to Sakura inclusion whole theme was all about strongest fighters of the world, that had years of training, special powers and shit making them worthy to step in and scrap

Ryu himself was'nt some magical anime prodigy either, was literally raised his whole life and trained by one of best Masters of whole SF world

Sakura was introduced in SFA as a 15yo schoolgirl who self-trained some months because she saw Ryu lol

40 minutes ago, Sonero said:

The protagonist for SF5 was Rashid.

If you don't acknowledge that a brown man was the main character of SF5, then you're racist.

If you aren't happy white people saved us from all that malarkey, you're also racist.

Rashid was SF5 hero in some way, he's still the one that saved the day by guessing right the code to stop the machines, even Capcom aknowledge him as new hero

FE7y0V0aQAAxEmh.png

(what cracked me up more is that they gave that recognization to Abel too... i like a lot the char, but he did fucking nothing in SF4 lol)

But is also true Rashid did'nt got Alex treatment, at some point guy got pushed aside to let high level people take care of shit (and there Nash got robbed to give us another Ryu moment lol)

Luke is going bit same route, letting OGs reaching the final stage... pretty much hinted KEN is the one who's going to fuck up JP in definitive way, my bet is Luke will get the role of knock psycho power madness out of Ed's skull

Even in his W quotes with JP an Ken, they push hard Luke to say Ken is the one who deserve to fuck up the villain 😄

to JP "As much as I want to give you a piece of my mind, I'm not the guy who's got a score to settle."

to Ken "Gimme all the details once you settle the score. Till then, I'll be waitin', Champ."

We really need to talk about the massive issue that Street Fighter has with its generational shifts 

Like they had Ryu for first two games.

Then they go back and make Ryu young while introducing the supposed next gen with Sakura who pretty much fangirls over him so much so self-teaches ki manipulation and the basics of ansatsuken.

Then we go into SF3 and they move the timeline like 20 years forward whuoe introducing the next generation with Alex but don't do shit with the guy 

Then we go BACKWARDS again to SF4 and they introduce the supposed next generation with Abel but don't actually do shit with the guy 

Then we move a little forward with SF5 and we get three "next generation" characters with Rashid (protagonist of the story), Alex (literally appears in story for 5 seconds and doesn't do anything else) and Luke (introduced at the very end of game's life) 

And now we have SF6 with Luke taking the backseat role of teaching people martial arts while not really being involved with the story much, that's left up to your player character, Bosch and Li Fen

So who's to say when we reach SF7 Capcom won't try to replace Luke with someone else again? 

They're just going back to the good ol bum ass Ryu and the ghost of Bison somewhere in the background waiting to come out the shadows 

5 hours ago, B R O W N said:

Parody character = Character I personally don't like

By that measure anyone can be a parody character, lmfao. Let's call Ken a parody of Ryu or Adon a parody of Sagat next. I wanna see how far the mental gymnastics can be taken

No Sakura was a parody character. A fan girl that could emulate Ryu's techniques with no training what so ever. She got popular and transitioned her character into a talented young fighter that worked hard at her craft. An example of this change can be seen in Sakura's SSFIV arcade mode intro where talks about her training regime for the day. 100 laps around deck of the ship she's on, 500 push ups, 500 sit ups, 500 pull ups, and 800 squats.  In comparison Alpha Sakura was just "I saw Ryu do cool shit, now I can do it too."

1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

No Sakura was a parody character. A fan girl that could emulate Ryu's techniques with no training what so ever. She got popular and transitioned her character into a talented young fighter that worked hard at her craft. An example of this change can be seen in Sakura's SSFIV arcade mode intro where talks about her training regime for the day. 100 laps around deck of the ship she's on, 500 push ups, 500 sit ups, 500 pull ups, and 800 squats.  In comparison Alpha Sakura was just "I saw Ryu do cool shit, now I can do it too."

I'm sorry but no amount of discussion will convince me that Sakura is analogous to Dan. One is clearly meant to parody, the other just feels like another take on a shoto. 

I mean, by that measure, is Sean a parody character too? Genuinely curious, cause I've never felt that way about him either. 

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

There been any hints about when we'll get the Ed trailer?  I'd think he would be dropping like by the end of this month or something.

Capcom regretting the character choice so much they're not even hinting at his release lmao 

Even they know people only want Akuma and couldn't care less about some blonde bitch boxer boy 

Ed pick is legitimately baffling to me. Even if we ignore the fact SFA and SF3 are unrepresented, SFV is overflowing with amazing original characters and top tier redesigns…and we get Ed. Shadaloo-at-home flavored generic white blonde guy. 

Even if I give Capcom the benefit of the doubt and assume they are saving the real SFV heavy hitters like Laura and Menat to drive sales in later seasons…you gonna sit here and tell me Ed is better than G? Kolin? Fem Seth? Zeku?

lol no 

28 minutes ago, Vhozite said:

Ed pick is legitimately baffling to me. Even if we ignore the fact SFA and SF3 are unrepresented, SFV is overflowing with amazing original characters and top tier redesigns…and we get Ed. Shadaloo-at-home flavored generic white blonde guy. 

Even if I give Capcom the benefit of the doubt and assume they are saving the real SFV heavy hitters like Laura and Menat to drive sales in later seasons…you gonna sit here and tell me Ed is better than G? Kolin? Fem Seth? Zeku?

lol no 

I feel like they knew people would buy the season 1 pass with the game regardless of characters. The only super popular character is Akuma being the big seller at the end. 

Capcom is saving the good stuff but at only 4 characters a year I'm legit worried that some of my favourites aren't going to make it to 6. Thank god for Jamie but I would like to play another character at some point.

Doing some googling, the rumors appear for Ed to be released Jan 26th, with a reveal next weekend at the final CPT event.  

The timeline definitely makes sense, and if you look on their calendar at the bottom of this page, they have a "new product release" on the 26th.  The earlier one in the month that that crossover crap.

https://www.streetfighter.com/6/buckler/event/schedule

9 hours ago, -PVL93- said:

So who's to say when we reach SF7 Capcom won't try to replace Luke with someone else again? 

They're just going back to the good ol bum ass Ryu and the ghost of Bison somewhere in the background waiting to come out the shadows 

Ed should had been the better new protagonist that youth could relate into, It looks like they tried a bit

but they shift to Luke that is more modern appeal for social media generation of youth.

4 hours ago, purbeast said:

Doing some googling, the rumors appear for Ed to be released Jan 26th, with a reveal next weekend at the final CPT event.  

The timeline definitely makes sense, and if you look on their calendar at the bottom of this page, they have a "new product release" on the 26th.  The earlier one in the month that that crossover crap.

https://www.streetfighter.com/6/buckler/event/schedule

Finally a clue... I'm very anxious for Ed, he's one my favorite characters.

3 hours ago, BornWinner said:

Ed: I can’t believe it… I’m on the cover of a magazine!

My poor Ed...

Sad Sailor Moon GIF

10 hours ago, HeavensCloud said:

Capcom is saving the good stuff but at only 4 characters a year I'm legit worried that some of my favourites aren't going to make it to 6. Thank god for Jamie but I would like to play another character at some point.

Hopefully S2 will be more than 4 char, 4 chars in a whole year is big bullshit for SF

Ideally at least 6, give me

Sagat/Adon for Muay Thai

Dudley or Rog (better if Dudley) for pure Boxing

Elena

Fei Long

Laura

Hugo

That's would be an awesome S2 variety wise, too bad the inevitable marketing picks would ruin it in some way lol

So far:

- MK1 = 6 charas / year

- T8 = 4 charas / year

- SF6 = 4 charas / year

- GBVSR = 5-6 charas / year

UNI2 likely won't get another 1-2 characters until the next major revision (which depends on whether Melty receives more support or not) 

KOF has no news about S3 yet

DNF probably dies after its last planned DLC character 

Nothing major is coming to FighterZ 

Samsho is done too 

Man if Balrog makes it into SF6 I am going to have a major character crisis.  At this point Dee Jay is far and away my main and he's so much fun to play, but Rog was my boy like shit in SF4 and in 5 until I stopped playing 5.  If he makes it to 6 they better not make him stubby as shit like in 5.

These are my 2 sticks.  They gonna have to duke it out.

(only using leverless for SF6 now that I'm used to it though)

qs5SVTI.jpg

Edited by purbeast
15 minutes ago, HeavensCloud said:

@purbeast How long did it take you to get used to the leverless and do you find it more fun to play than stick?

It took me a good 2 months I'd say.  Even then I still miss some inputs now but I also miss inputs on my joystick as well.  Things that I will miss still is if I press up to jump and then press d.lk to do Dee Jay's knee, sometimes I press lk before I press down.  But again, that can happen on the stick too.  I had a buddy who tried it and adjusted in like 2 weeks though so it just varies.  I don't play PC gaming though so I'm not sure if PC gaming and using keyboard may benefit people to get it quicker.

It was really tough to get used to pressing directions without thinking about it.  I think up was the hardest one to get used to, because it's the right most button you press with your left hand.  I would find if I was being pressured and I was on P2 side, I would hit up thinking it was right, because instinctually it's my right most finger.  Sometimes I'd be jumping like 2-3 times backwards and I'm like wtf is going on .... OOOOH SNAP!  So that took a while to get used to.

Once I started going into battle too, I had trouble when getting crossed up.  That was another thing that took a bit to figure out and do without thinking about it.  When you have to think about switching your blocking directions, that split second thought process means you are eating a cross up.

The real area I could see my progress was when I'd type messages on PSN to my buddies, or just have to enter anything on the virtual keyboard.  Or in the menus in SF6.  Like initially it took me forever to do because I'd have to think about what button to press, and I'd hit the wrong one, etc.  But after a while it started to get easier and easier and now I don't even think about it.

I started trying it by borrowing my buddies leverless.  He had 24mm buttons for everything other than the thumb.  It was also in the Noir layout which I don't like. I would fat finger buttons constantly because they were too small for me and also not the normal alignment I am used to.  After playing with his for like a month, I decided to start putting my own together, and I ended up going all out on it and spending more than initially planned because I sold my MK2 arcade board and had extra money.

As you can see with my Balrog stick, it's not a "typical" button layout.  That was my first time using japanese buttons, and I wanted to have an American layout since I grew up with that style.  The blue buttons are my "main" buttons and I really only use the bottom white button for my thumb.  I set that to 3K as balrog so I could charge my turn punch with my right thumb.

So when I went with my leverless, I went with the same custom layout.  I use that bottom right button on SF6 for DI.  

After playing with this for a bit though, I am contemplating changing up my layout a bit.  I also have a TE2 which uses the Viewlix layout, and I am thinking of doing that.  The reason is because the spacing between my buttons feels too big sometimes and I think if it was a bit tighter it would be helpful for me.  Viewlix doesn't have the vertical offset like the Noir layout does either.  It has a little bit of a horizontal one, but like I said, my TE2 has that layout and I played fine with that for KI when it came out.

I haven't done it yet simply because of cost, and I don't really know if it would make much of a difference.  It would cost me like $100 to do it and yah, just don't know if I want to do that.

I recently went back and tried my stick for a night after not using it for months, and I definitely prefer the leverless at this point.  Some stuff was easier for me to do on the joystick, like doing Dee Jay's medium sobat into his level 3 (qcf.mk canceled into 2 qcb.p).  I could get that more consistently on the stick than leverless.  The "problem" with leverless is when I have to use my ring finger quickly.  You don't realize how "stupid" your ring finger is until you start using leverless lol.  It takes some time getting used to.  But even since then I have improved hitting that combo on leverless and I am getting better at it.

But other than that, I noticed that I was just slower to do stuff with the joystick, because you have to move your wrist/hand a lot more with it.  Also when I play with joystick, I am like moving my shoulders and shit all tense, hunched over my stick, especially if in a heated battle, whereas with the leverless, I am way more chilled and sitting back in my chair.

Now though I prefer it to stick.  Mainly because like I said I play a lot more chilled out than I do with the joystick.  But I also think my execution is tighter as well with it.  It would be interesting going back to SF4 and playing Balrog with it though, I haven't tried that.

So yah, if you are curious about it, I'd say grab a cheap one off of like aliexpress or something to see if you like it and can get used to it, or try to borrow someone elses.  They even make these drop in things for Sanwa sticks for like $20 or something, even something like that would let you at least see if it's something you'd enjoy.  One of my buddies used one of those then like a week later he ordered his own full leverless controller.

Edited by purbeast

Interesting.  I've been considering switching to leverless, or at the very least just trying it out.  I've been using a TE2 for ages, and while I still enjoy it -  every time I get missed inputs I'm wondering if I'd be cleaner on a hitbox.  Only thing is they're quite expensive here in Canada which is the main reason I'm hesitating.  

One thing that drives me nuts with Jamie, that I thought would help with leverless is his cross cut DP execution.  They can very easily accidentally activate his SA1 which means you lose a bar and he sits there break dancing across the floor leaving his opponent all day to do a max punish.  It completely sways the outcome of the match and it happens often - even to the best Jamie's.  Another thing is just walking and quickly blocking/dashing that would help immensely in the Guile matchup.  

Edited by HeavensCloud
15 minutes ago, HeavensCloud said:

Interesting.  I've been considering switching to leverless, or at the very least just trying it out.  I've been using a TE2 for ages, and while I still enjoy it -  every time I get missed inputs I'm wondering if I'd be cleaner on a hitbox.  Only thing is they're quite expensive here in Canada which is the main reason I'm hesitating.  

One thing that drives me nuts with Jamie, that I thought would help with leverless is his cross cut DP execution.  They can very easily accidentally activate his SA1 which means you lose a bar and he sits there break dancing across the floor leaving his opponent all day to do a max punish.  It completely sways the outcome of the match and it happens often - even to the best Jamie's.  Another thing is just walking and quickly blocking/dashing that would help immensely in the Guile matchup which is brutal for him.  

If you have a TE2, this is a direct drop in replacement that you can use to at least see how you feel about it.  2 of my buddies got this.  It's basically a piece of junk and not a long term solution, but it gives you an idea of what leverless is like.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/1005006001283346.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.main.1.9b5d3702sItIVG&algo_pvid=02e36a6d-20b0-4f9b-9f0e-35546f3304d2&algo_exp_id=02e36a6d-20b0-4f9b-9f0e-35546f3304d2-0&pdp_npi=4%40dis!USD!13.07!13.07!!!93.78!93.78!%402101f49817055297150525874e5968!12000035738318685!sea!US!2808776968!&curPageLogUid=CoGGNwMdIu84&utparam-url=scene%3Asearch|query_from%3A&gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt

And DP's on leverless are so easy.  That is definitely one thing I will say.  Dee Jay doesn't have one but just messing around with Ken a few times, they are just so simple to do.

And you also don't have to get a Hitbox brand.  You can go a lot of other routes.  My one buddy who ordered that thing above, 2 weeks later got a hitbox knockoff on aliexpress as well for like $90 or $100.   I was never going to go hitbox brand just because I like the look and size of these custom cases that I came across, and I could do whatever button layout I wanted.

Edited by purbeast
4 hours ago, ToreyBeans said:

"Trendy" Akuma. Are they even trying to give decent names for these characters? 

"Trendy" it's like a sub-category in the game, you have bunch of characters variants having it

While at it some variants are awesome, would make cool alts for SF6

Would buy these

ryu-sfduel-art.jpgmaxresdefault.jpg

ehonda-streetfighter-duel-art.jpg

1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Spring doesn't start until March 19th, a few days after Red Bull Kumite New York starts. So the Season 2 talk would require Akuma to drop early. I have to agree it was just a honest mistake on their part.

Yeah let's hope that Akuma scam to be released early as possible, can't wait to know what's Season 2 is going to be about

Pray for good picks (and more chars) 🕯️🕯️🕯️🙏🕯️🕯️🕯️

I’m curious to see if they stick with the 4 characters per season thing. I really like it this way but I know a lot of people aren’t happy with it. 

Hoping for Laura in S2 I think she would be AMAZING in SF6. Unfortunately I don’t expect to see Vega or Charlie in this game.

Edited by Vhozite

I am in the minority with characters.  I don't need a huge roster.  I didn't like how many characters SF4 ended up having.  I don't have the time to play like I used to and it just means more matchups to learn.  I already don't know all the matchups in SF6 with the base roster lol.  I'm fine with the slow drip of characters.

4 hours ago, Jocelot said:

I feel like the "season 2" part of the promo has to be a mistake. I just don't see season 2 starting in March when Akuma wouldn't even have dropped yet

Season 2 will kick off immediately after CPT finals with a big balance patch. They don't have to release Akuma alongside the balance update. In fact it's even better because if they fuck up some of the S2 changes Capcom can either roll those back or make further adjustments in April-May for the Akuma patch, kinda like what NRS are doing for MK1 since launch 

I'm assuming the 2024 CPT season doesn't start until EVO Japan and Akuma will drop a week or two before then 

It’s been what 3 months on AKI now? I really love this character. But sometimes it’s really hard to figure out how to be consistent with her. My new goal is to try a get to 1600MR but the MR grind is fucking tough as shit. One moment I'm doing sick AKI combos then the next I’m getting punched in the face by Marisa or getting dabbed on by fucking Jamie’s. Also speaking of Jamie. I know this character is considered “low tier” but holy fuck every Jamie I play has the most good like fundies. I swear no character makes me more mad than that fucker. Not even Blanka which is fucking crazy. People meme about muh drinks but I swear I can’t fucking stop the drinking bro! I’m gonna go back to playing Lily at some point. I want to unga again and I think getting to master with AKI has helped me expand my understanding of the game. Blog post over. 

@TWINBLADESJamie is basically considered the worst character in the game. So if anyone that's at your level using him has to be on point. They just don't have the margin for error. I honestly think if the just started him at Drink Level 1 it would make a huge difference. It would reduce the damage nerf from 10% to 5% and he'd have his dive kick as part of his base kit. Also his Level 2 resets his drink level to zero no matter what level it was before. It should reset to the level he was when he pops it.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
58 minutes ago, TWINBLADES said:

I wonder how big the Ed update is gonna be. Like no way it’s just him and no new stage or anything. 

Both Ed and Akuma are getting new stage/WTM location

We are going to get 2 stages in S1, only 2 chars left and no stage so far

Hope even if we meet him in MC we will still get Germany stage/location for Ed as leaked concept page suggested

Edited by CESTUS III
1 hour ago, Chun-Li_Forever said:

Decent vid

If teaser is any indication of how he will fight like in SF6, seems they worked on make him more a "boxing" character

Part of me appreciate it, part of me still hope ingame he will keep bastard style involving lot kicks and shit, so Dudley (or at least Rog) will have better chances to be involved as pure boxing rep

I think they did good job with his SF6 model, thin pale look works well to differentiate him from Luke