Stage Select

The Wrestling Thread

It never sat well with me that Punk is able to call on everybody's BS on the mic for the world to see but when someone else makes veiled references to his hijinks he throws a hissy fit and wants to throw fists.

I'm pretty sure that the AEW locker room is full with entitled young scrubs, but what example are you really setting by just wanting to resolve everything like it was the 80's?

Ultimately it all falls upon TK for being such a softie and believing everything will just fix itself

I think Punk was absolutely correct about The Elite and their childish ways, I work with ppl like that so I can relate. However he went about it the wrong way. It shouldve been child's play dealing with their politics after going through the WWE. 

Crazy All this started over a rumor Elite put out involving Colt Cabana, Punk was chill before that. TK shouldve shut that down, made them hash it out immediately but he hesistated, things don't get this far if he'd have stepped up earlier

I'd say it's enough blame to go around, but Punk gets a bit more because he got physical, twice. But honestly its best for both parties, he clearly was fed up with the kid games and clearly he wasnt wanted there. Hope everyone finds peace (after he does a tell all first lmao)

But these problems backstage wont go away tho, there has been numerous fights/beef backstage that Punk wasn't involved in. Punk was only part of the issue, TK need to continue being a boss and move swiftly like this in the future. 

Edited by HD-Man

Jack Perry suspended indefinitely.

During the AEW All Out post-show media scrum, Nick Hausman of Haus of Wrestling asked Khan whether there had been any punishment for Perry. Khan then confirmed that Perry has been suspended indefinitely.

“He’s been suspended indefinitely,” Tony Khan said. “I think we’ve suspended everybody in that investigation, and then took further action after that, based on what happened and came out of the investigation. As for Jack, we suspended Jack as a participant in an incident backstage, and Jack hasn’t been around. That’s all I can say about it. At the time, we did suspend him, and he hasn’t been at AEW since AEW All in backstage in London.”

6 hours ago, HD-Man said:

I'm still salty Cody didn't win at Mania this year, everything was set up so well, the atmosphere was perfect, the story was at its climax, the match was fun but the ending just kinda killed my interest alot in the storyline with Roman.

Its gonna be hard to recapture that lightning in a bottle again

Yeah even if Cody ends up being the one to dethrone Roman in the runback @ the next Mania, it just won't be the same. They could have had all that other Bloodline stuff afterwards just fine without Roman being the champ. And he's not even gonna get to break Hogan's record anyway so 🤷‍♂️

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, Lantis said:

Jade Cargill for Edge

Helluva trade if you ask me

Best of luck to Jade, She has the look and physical tools to excel.  However, she's no longer going to be a big fish in a small pond. Hopefully the WWE uses her well. I'm sure all the AEW diehards will thinks she's trash and the WWE diehards that hated her will suddenly love her now. Gotta love the tribalism in our society 😒 As for Edge, how's his health holding up? I really haven't been keeping up with wrestling much as of late. 

Edited by Darc_Requiem

MJF and AEW should've known better than to do that quarter bit at a time like this. I get that its Juice Robinsons thing to hit ppl with a role of quarters but he should NOT be doing that right now, or atleast not while he's in a feud with a Jewish wrestler, save it for after this feud

The optics are really bad on this one

On 10/11/2023 at 2:49 AM, HD-Man said:

MJF and AEW should've known better than to do that quarter bit at a time like this. I get that its Juice Robinsons thing to hit ppl with a role of quarters but he should NOT be doing that right now, or atleast not while he's in a feud with a Jewish wrestler, save it for after this feud

The optics are really bad on this one

I think people are stretching this too much. The quarters is a thing that is personal to max. It has nothing to do with the war of Israel.

On 10/15/2023 at 10:30 AM, Hawkingbird said:

I think people are stretching this too much. The quarters is a thing that is personal to max. It has nothing to do with the war of Israel.

We know it has nothing to do with that, it was the timing im more speaking on, the optics of it is bad. But they pretty much dropped the storyline cuz they realized it wasnt a good idea so its history now

Edited by HD-Man
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I didnt like Punk's return promo, easily one of his weakest ever.....BUT this may be intentional with the line about money at the end.  This may a slow burn for a heel turn where he becomes what the controlling, egotistical narcissist they said he was in AEW. 

Imagine him using his current clout to get roster members kicked off RAW or him becoming a part timer thats all about the money and taking up spots from the younger guys

Both viable routes. But until them ill just stick to what is, that promo was wack and im a big fan of his. After 3 hours of waiting for him they couldve given us something lol

I think people were just waiting for Punk to throw TK and the Elite under the bus but that obviously didn't happen. It would be insanely hard for him to mention them by name but I was expecting at least a passing reference or some sort of "inside joke".

It will be interesting to see what happens when they finally pull the trigger on the Punk/Seth feud and see who will become the heel in this storyline (because Seth has also displayed heel mannerisms towards Punk)

8 hours ago, HD-Man said:

I didnt like Punk's return promo, easily one of his weakest ever.....BUT this may be intentional with the line about money at the end.  This may a slow burn for a heel turn where he becomes what the controlling, egotistical narcissist they said he was in AEW. 

Imagine him using his current clout to get roster members kicked off RAW or him becoming a part timer thats all about the money and taking up spots from the younger guys

Both viable routes. But until them ill just stick to what is, that promo was wack and im a big fan of his. After 3 hours of waiting for him they couldve given us something lol

It just made me think about MJF's promo were he called him PG Punk in AEW to be honest. 

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like the wrestling we know today started roughly 90 years ago in the 1930s:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional_wrestling

Even back then:

Towards the end of the 1930s, faced with declining revenues, promoters chose to focus on grooming charismatic wrestlers with no regard for their skill, because it was charisma that drew the crowds, and wrestlers who were both skilled at grappling and charismatic were hard to come by. Since most of the public by this time knew and accepted that professional wrestling was fake, a background in authentic wrestling no longer mattered. After this time, matches became more outlandish and gimmicky, and any semblance professional wrestling had to catch wrestling faded. The personas of the wrestlers likewise grew more outlandish.

Gorgeous George, who performed throughout the 1940s and 1950s, was the first wrestler whose entrance into the arena was accompanied by a theme song played over the arena's loudspeakers, his being Pomp and Circumstance. He also wore a costume: a robe and hairnet, which he removed after getting in the ring. He also had a pre-match ritual where his "butler" would spray the ring with perfume. In the 1980s, Vince McMahon made entrance songs, costumes, and rituals standard for his star wrestlers. For instance, McMahon's top star Hulk Hogan would delight the audience by ripping his shirt apart before the match.

• 2 weeks later...

AEW can't go one ppv cycle without some drama. Keith Lee said he has been used much not due to his nagging injuries, but other "reasons"....then got immediately pulled from the ppv and replaced with Dustin

And that Jericho shit with Kylie Rae and the way Tony Khan once again poorly handles shit backstage...😬

And they cant blame CM Punk this time, this is all on them

Edited by HD-Man

Yeah the whole Keith Lee thing has funny timing. If he was so injured, why even book him in a match to begin with? And Lee even said he was gonna work the Swerve match regardless but then were like NAH

And the whole Y2J thing is disgusting too. Would be funny if the allegations prove true, considering how Jericho fancies himself a locker room leader and such. But considering how he threatened Shotzi after she poked fun at one of his AEW matches goes to show how insecure Jericho really is