Stage Select

The Wrestling Thread

Just now, Maxx said:

Lmfaooo nia jax drying snitching on the web is great lmfao. Prowrestling twitter blew up

To be fair, if anyone she's snitching on has a problem with it, they wouldn't do shit if they saw Nia the next day other than get a trip to the ER.  We've seen what she does to the rest of the locker room on accident, imagine what she'd do on purpose.

11 minutes ago, Psychoblue said:

Every time I say this to myself, I look at these absurd revenue numbers and remind myself that someone is buying what they're selling.  

That shit is befuddling cuz it's fuckin true. And with those numbers they have zero incentive to change, which means the product will continue being shit. From a business sense I get it, as a fan, I hate it 

Just now, HD-Man said:

That shit is befuddling cuz it's fuckin true. And with those numbers they have zero incentive to change, which means the product will continue being shit. From a business sense I get it, as a fan, I hate it 

I"ve spent a decade now promoting and organizing events for games that get hated on as vociferously as any video game could possibly be hated short of being overtly racist/sexist etc, so seeing WWE peddle stuff that is nearly universally reviled among its industry both on a consumer and employee viewpoint, and get rewarded THAT much for it time and time again fascinates me.  I definitely sat up and paid attention when they got the FOX deal, then record profits during a pandemic with no fans for most of the year, and now they're filling out STADIUMS on the regular beyond just Wrestlemania.  

As you said, there's a reason I only tune in for the Network events, but you can't help but be astounded by how despite how bad their weekly shows are, their stock keeps going up and up.  There's even talks now that they're going to instead split rights across regions and providers rather than sell entirely like what was initially rumored/planned because the money they're bringing in so outrageous that they can jack their asking price up further if they do things that way.

EDIT:  Just as people here complained about DQ finishes, we got another one this time on Rampage!

Just now, HD-Man said:

AEW gets passes for DQ finishes cuz they rarely do them. Probably the 2nd or 3rd DQ this year. I think WWE is like on 67-ish this year , no I'm not joking either, that's an actual stat

It helps that there are way more no-DQ type matches (Street fights, tornado tags etc) than WWE on average but yeah, that's twice in a week now after we just talked about that.  

5 minutes ago, Psychoblue said:

I"ve spent a decade now promoting and organizing events for games that get hated on as vociferously as any video game could possibly be hated short of being overtly racist/sexist etc, so seeing WWE peddle stuff that is nearly universally reviled among its industry both on a consumer and employee viewpoint, and get rewarded THAT much for it time and time again fascinates me.  I definitely sat up and paid attention when they got the FOX deal, then record profits during a pandemic with no fans for most of the year, and now they're filling out STADIUMS on the regular beyond just Wrestlemania.  

As you said, there's a reason I only tune in for the Network events, but you can't help but be astounded by how despite how bad their weekly shows are, their stock keeps going up and up.  There's even talks now that they're going to instead split rights across regions and providers rather than sell entirely like what was initially rumored/planned because the money they're bringing in so outrageous that they can jack their asking price up further if they do things that way.

EDIT:  Just as people here complained about DQ finishes, we got another one this time on Rampage!

Most of their money is coming from distribution deals. WWE is ranking it in on TV declining with live sports being the only thing keeping it afloat. Since WWE covers the cost of production networks don't have to spend any money on it besides having it on the network. The current TV landscape has allowed Vince to be successful without needing to appease the fans. 

Just now, Hawkingbird said:

Most of their money is coming from distribution deals. WWE is ranking it in on TV declining with live sports being the only thing keeping it afloat. Since WWE covers the cost of production networks don't have to spend any money on it besides having it on the network. The current TV landscape has allowed Vince to be successful without needing to appease the fans. 

I said this like a page or so ago and how AEW should be able to capitalize off of it, but I also mentioned that WWE is now filling stadiums far more regularly than prior with their big shows, and those tv deals are expected to further increase come renewal time.  

6 minutes ago, Psychoblue said:

I said this like a page or so ago and how AEW should be able to capitalize off of it, but I also mentioned that WWE is now filling stadiums far more regularly than prior with their big shows, and those tv deals are expected to further increase come renewal time.  

WWE stadium shows are Wrestlemania and blood money. The former being their biggest show of the year and latter being a audience staved of wrestling and generally think the attitude era is still ongoing. 

Edited by Hawkingbird
2 minutes ago, Hawkingbird said:

WWE stadium shows are Wrestlemania and blood money. The former being their biggest show of the year and latter being a audience staved of wrestling and generally think the attitude era is still ongoing. 

They’ve added RR and Summerslam to that, along with Super Showdwn.  Nick Khan said in the post conference call there’s going to be more and potentially more overseas. 

They’re gonna do Tokyo Dome one day.  

Kahn says the forbidden door opening again Wednesday, the talent will face Isiah. I'm leaning towards Keith Lee, Jeff Hardy somebody from IMPACT or possibly Shane McMahon (Shane is a long shot probably not happening tho) 

Only reason I put Shane is cuz he said forbidden door which implies another company, Keith Lee and Hardy are free agents. Then again so is Shane, I won't get my hopes up tho 🤔

Edited by HD-Man
12 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

Kahn says the forbidden door opening again Wednesday, the talent will face Isiah. I'm leaning towards Keith Lee, Jeff Hardy somebody from IMPACT or possibly Shane McMahon (Shane is a long shot probably not happening tho) 

Only reason I put Shane is cuz he said forbidden door which implies another company, Keith Lee and Hardy are free agents. Then again so is Shane, I won't get my hopes up tho 🤔

Despite Shane getting shit canned for trying to go into business for himself I doubt he’d ever go to a rival company….Unless he was to buy it like he did with WCW. 

😉 

Edited by iStu X

Catching up because I fell asleep mid-show last night. 🤣

So Ronda challenged Flair after all?
Thank goodness, I'll take anyone with that belt over her at this point.

giphy.gif

On the other hand, that means fukkery is afoot on Naomi's title shot against her, I doubt any of the current champs are losing their belts before at least the elimination chamber since all of them are booked to it. 

Which raises the question. What exactly is happening for the next 2 weeks? Damn near everything already got announced. They couldn't even drip feed the announcements, idiotic pacing man...

Oh well, here comes Aliyah vs Natalya and Ricochet/Cesaro vs Sheamus/Ridge part 12!

6 hours ago, HD-Man said:

Finally seen what Nia Jax said, I could definitely see that. I'm sure it's plenty of anti-vaxx athletes who pay doctors for vaxx cards. Atleast she's honest about her stance I'll say 

That's not the issue. Its the fact she decided unprovoked to blast this news all over..Basically telling everyone she doesn't wanna be in wrestling anymore or be hired back by wwe

I never said anything was an issue actually, just saying that I could definitely see big names athletes paying their way out of protocol. She didn't name names, so she technically hasn't done anything yet

And Nia's heart never seemed to be in wrestling and you could tell by her sloppy matches, it's probably best for her not to wrestle again, she was a model at one point I think, so she'll probably do that or OnlyFans 

1 hour ago, Maxx said:

That's not the issue. Its the fact she decided unprovoked to blast this news all over..Basically telling everyone she doesn't wanna be in wrestling anymore or be hired back by wwe

WWE called her to ask if she wanted to be in the rumble. She turned them down as she still under the 90 day no compete so there's no payday in it for her. She also told the guy who called her to fuck off.