Stage Select

The Samurai Shodown Thread

8 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

Ggs you guys that was fun!

@Mattatsu you definitely started to come alive as the night went on, was good to play you again

This game is funny tbh. I only really like Haohmaru, but at the same time, I feel like (and it’s likely my lack of labbing) that he can get really fucked up by full screen tactics. That, and my lack of patience, often makes me feel like I have to try and be hyper aggressive, or at least push to stay within jump-in range.

Early on, while I was trying out some things trying to remember how to play, I was also getting somewhat tilted. As we went on though, I realized it was my own aggression that was getting me killed, and I tried (for the most part) to play a bit more strategic.

I still think Hoah is better within a somewhat closer range, but I can do smarter things to get there (like walk-forward and block, rather than doing his Reverse DP flipping attack all the time).

Speaking of which, my execution in this game specifically is funny with DPs. I’m not blaming the game because it’s obviously something I’m doing, but I occasionally get the traditional DP when I try to input the Reverse DP, and vice versa, but I just need to hit the lab and clean up my inputs… I also need to hit the lab and sort out how to deal with your ninja’s (Hatzo?) fireball attacks and some of the setups you were doing off it. I had no answers for those lol, but definitely felt better once I tried blocking them rather than trying to jump over them all the time - I just need to learn how to block/counter your various follow-ups.

Anyways, I had a lot fun. Looking forward to next time.

2 hours ago, Hecatom said:

Second Batch of matches

Hide contents

Thanks for editing those down mate!

13 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

This game is funny tbh. I only really like Haohmaru, but at the same time, I feel like (and it’s likely my lack of labbing) that he can get really fucked up by full screen tactics. That, and my lack of patience, often makes me feel like I have to try and be hyper aggressive, or at least push to stay within jump-in range.

Early on, while I was trying out some things trying to remember how to play, I was also getting somewhat tilted. As we went on though, I realized it was my own aggression that was getting me killed, and I tried (for the most part) to play a bit more strategic.

I still think Hoah is better within a somewhat closer range, but I can do smarter things to get there (like walk-forward and block, rather than doing his Reverse DP flipping attack all the time).

Speaking of which, my execution in this game specifically is funny with DPs. I’m not blaming the game because it’s obviously something I’m doing, but I occasionally get the traditional DP when I try to input the Reverse DP, and vice versa, but I just need to hit the lab and clean up my inputs… I also need to hit the lab and sort out how to deal with your ninja’s (Hatzo?) fireball attacks and some of the setups you were doing off it. I had no answers for those lol, but definitely felt better once I tried blocking them rather than trying to jump over them all the time - I just need to learn how to block/counter your various follow-ups.

Anyways, I had a lot fun. Looking forward to next time.

With Haoh, you definitely want to stay within 5C range as landing that can be the difference between winning and losing, bu like you said, I was using your aggression against you at the beginning. Once you started to get more judicious about when you'd throw out attacks, it disrupted what you'd trained me to do before so I had to come up with another gameplan. Likewise, once you started sighting down my runup SPD follow up with Hanzo after the fireball, I had to adjust.

You made me really have to figure out something with Kazuki too. Definitely had a lot of trouble with your Haoh in that matchup.

One thing I'd recommend is getting used to using 5C as something of a zoning tool and recoil cancelling as needed. That way you can fish for damage and cover your ass if they block. Don't do the same thing every time (especially because this is a good way to train your opponent to expect something and then you can change it up.) Seemed like you were doing a bit of that the longer we played but it's definitely an important part of Haoh's game in my opinion.

Edited by DoctaMario
37 minutes ago, Mattatsu said:

I only really like Haohmaru, but at the same time, I feel like (and it’s likely my lack of labbing) that he can get really fucked up by full screen tactics.

Playing against Haoh, it doesn't feel like his dead-zone is all that big.  Granted, Cham isn't built to keep people out forever, but once you get to mid range I know I need to cut way down on doing any long recovery stuff.

10 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

I am on my nephew's birthday party 😶

Priorities bro 

Mangrove Stevemcqueen GIF by Amazon Prime Video

1 minute ago, Reticently said:

Ggs man! 

Starting to get a handle on Cham but I feel like I'm a mile away when I get grabbed post demon flip sometimes so that's weird. The Warden/Yashu fights were fun, you been picking him up a bit? He's a pretty solid character. Warden is interesting, he doesn't have a lot to work with but you land a couple of the right slashes and boy does their health bar melt. Fun sets.

19 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

but I feel like I'm a mile away when I get grabbed post demon flip sometimes so that's weird.

That might be a netcode issues, idk.  The grab follow up to demon flip doesn't have that big of a hit box, so I wonder if our games weren't slightly desynced at some point.

Cham into Soggy in a fun match up, shame my execution was pretty off early in the set.  She can just about thread the needle of all his screen control with the right read.

I hopped into training mode the other day and just got the gist of Yashu's combos, but he felt really solid against Warden tonight.  That might just be a favorable match for Yashu though- it looked like Warden didn't have easy answers for Yashu's air nonsense or WFT spam.

9 hours ago, Reticently said:

That might be a netcode issues, idk.  The grab follow up to demon flip doesn't have that big of a hit box, so I wonder if our games weren't slightly desynced at some point.

Cham into Soggy in a fun match up, shame my execution was pretty off early in the set.  She can just about thread the needle of all his screen control with the right read.

I hopped into training mode the other day and just got the gist of Yashu's combos, but he felt really solid against Warden tonight.  That might just be a favorable match for Yashu though- it looked like Warden didn't have easy answers for Yashu's air nonsense or WFT spam.

Warden doesn't have much to work with that I can see and most of the time when people talk about him, they say he's just a fundamentals character so that's probably as it's supposed to be. All I know is, I couldn't grab you at all, his grab speed and range is veeerrrryy slow.

Sogetsu is fun too. Might add him to my short list, although he's not quite as solid as Kaz but that may just be a feeling.

Either way, glad we got to play.

• 2 weeks later...