Stage Select

The Samurai Shodown Thread

13 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Ggs last night guys. Connection was a little less stable than usual for some reason, but we still had some good fights!

It was pretty windy in my area last night, which might have interjected some lag on my end.  I'm on fiber optic, but the line to my house is above ground and was probably buckling some in the big gusts.

Possibly related, my furnace quietly died while we were playing. Shits only 2 years old too.  So I got to follow up game time with the slow realization that I needed to place a midnight emergency service call 🤬.  Turns out the service company can't send anybody out til Monday anyway.

Anyway, really enjoyed the games last night!  I'm hoping @Hecatom recorded, because I would love to watch a few of those rounds again.

46 minutes ago, Reticently said:

It was pretty windy in my area last night, which might have interjected some lag on my end.  I'm on fiber optic, but the line to my house is above ground and was probably buckling some in the big gusts.

Possibly related, my furnace quietly died while we were playing. Shits only 2 years old too.  So I got to follow up game time with the slow realization that I needed to place a midnight emergency service call 🤬.  Turns out the service company can't send anybody out til Monday anyway.

Anyway, really enjoyed the games last night!  I'm hoping @Hecatom recorded, because I would love to watch a few of those rounds again.

Man you played really well for someone with that many extenuating circumstances going on lol! You guys going to be able to stay warm with the furnace dead?

7 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Man you played really well for someone with that many extenuating circumstances going on lol! You guys going to be able to stay warm with the furnace dead?

We're staying warm-ish.  Blankets and sweaters, plus a couple of small electric space heaters we just happen to have, luckily.  I don't think we're in danger of the pipes bursting, which would be my bigger worry.  It's just a little below freezing outside, and even the basement should retain enough heat that we can coast through another night.

To be fair about the quality of my play, I had no idea how borked things were until after we wrapped up.  I just thought our eco-friendly thermostat was getting a little too aggressive with energy saving 🙃

2 hours ago, Reticently said:

It really occurred to me how covid happening was both good and bad for this game. It was bad in that people realized how iffy the netcode could be once the initial hype wore off and it killed most of the online scene as a result because people couldn't play it in person anymore.

But with that said, without that realization, this one probably would have gone the way of KoF13 and justed straight up died, and KoFXV probably wouldn't have gotten rollback either.

Can't wait to hear the excuses nuccas toss out to not play now that the game will have good netcode tho 😂

Edited by DoctaMario
On 11/24/2022 at 12:06 AM, DoctaMario said:

Indeed. Some of the SamSho people think the damage has been done, but I hope the netcode will bring people back

Those days, most of the playerbase, specially the younger ones are mostly focused on playing current games with large player base instead of playing what they like, hence why the immediately brush off any older game, any game with low player numbers, hence why they use "discord game" as a pejorative and also any game that is not constantly updated/witha roadmap on sight.

Samsho is all 3, so is very likely that only oldheads will be playing it.

BTW, I am gonna start editing and uploading the matches this weekend.

1 hour ago, Hecatom said:

Those days, most of the playerbase, specially the younger ones are mostly focused on playing current games with large player base instead of playing what they like, hence why the immediately brush off any older game, any game with low player numbers, hence why they use "discord game" as a pejorative and also any game that is not constantly updated/witha roadmap on sight.

Samsho is all 3, so is very likely that only oldheads will be playing it.

BTW, I am gonna start editing and uploading the matches this weekend.

Tbh I'm ok with SamSho staying niche because I don't really like the younger player mindset of every game having to do Smash numbers or it isn't worth playing and if those people want to stick with those games and keep that mentality over there, I'm good with that. I don't really consider myself a part of the FGC anymore anyway, so it's whatever to me as long as there are some good dedicated players playing, I'm happy.

Edited by DoctaMario