Stage Select

The Samurai Shodown Thread

13 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Ggs last night guys. Connection was a little less stable than usual for some reason, but we still had some good fights!

It was pretty windy in my area last night, which might have interjected some lag on my end.  I'm on fiber optic, but the line to my house is above ground and was probably buckling some in the big gusts.

Possibly related, my furnace quietly died while we were playing. Shits only 2 years old too.  So I got to follow up game time with the slow realization that I needed to place a midnight emergency service call 🤬.  Turns out the service company can't send anybody out til Monday anyway.

Anyway, really enjoyed the games last night!  I'm hoping @Hecatom recorded, because I would love to watch a few of those rounds again.

46 minutes ago, Reticently said:

It was pretty windy in my area last night, which might have interjected some lag on my end.  I'm on fiber optic, but the line to my house is above ground and was probably buckling some in the big gusts.

Possibly related, my furnace quietly died while we were playing. Shits only 2 years old too.  So I got to follow up game time with the slow realization that I needed to place a midnight emergency service call 🤬.  Turns out the service company can't send anybody out til Monday anyway.

Anyway, really enjoyed the games last night!  I'm hoping @Hecatom recorded, because I would love to watch a few of those rounds again.

Man you played really well for someone with that many extenuating circumstances going on lol! You guys going to be able to stay warm with the furnace dead?

7 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Man you played really well for someone with that many extenuating circumstances going on lol! You guys going to be able to stay warm with the furnace dead?

We're staying warm-ish.  Blankets and sweaters, plus a couple of small electric space heaters we just happen to have, luckily.  I don't think we're in danger of the pipes bursting, which would be my bigger worry.  It's just a little below freezing outside, and even the basement should retain enough heat that we can coast through another night.

To be fair about the quality of my play, I had no idea how borked things were until after we wrapped up.  I just thought our eco-friendly thermostat was getting a little too aggressive with energy saving 🙃

2 hours ago, Reticently said:

It really occurred to me how covid happening was both good and bad for this game. It was bad in that people realized how iffy the netcode could be once the initial hype wore off and it killed most of the online scene as a result because people couldn't play it in person anymore.

But with that said, without that realization, this one probably would have gone the way of KoF13 and justed straight up died, and KoFXV probably wouldn't have gotten rollback either.

Can't wait to hear the excuses nuccas toss out to not play now that the game will have good netcode tho 😂

Edited by DoctaMario
On 11/24/2022 at 12:06 AM, DoctaMario said:

Indeed. Some of the SamSho people think the damage has been done, but I hope the netcode will bring people back

Those days, most of the playerbase, specially the younger ones are mostly focused on playing current games with large player base instead of playing what they like, hence why the immediately brush off any older game, any game with low player numbers, hence why they use "discord game" as a pejorative and also any game that is not constantly updated/witha roadmap on sight.

Samsho is all 3, so is very likely that only oldheads will be playing it.

BTW, I am gonna start editing and uploading the matches this weekend.

1 hour ago, Hecatom said:

Those days, most of the playerbase, specially the younger ones are mostly focused on playing current games with large player base instead of playing what they like, hence why the immediately brush off any older game, any game with low player numbers, hence why they use "discord game" as a pejorative and also any game that is not constantly updated/witha roadmap on sight.

Samsho is all 3, so is very likely that only oldheads will be playing it.

BTW, I am gonna start editing and uploading the matches this weekend.

Tbh I'm ok with SamSho staying niche because I don't really like the younger player mindset of every game having to do Smash numbers or it isn't worth playing and if those people want to stick with those games and keep that mentality over there, I'm good with that. I don't really consider myself a part of the FGC anymore anyway, so it's whatever to me as long as there are some good dedicated players playing, I'm happy.

Edited by DoctaMario
  • 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Is steam having their winter sale? I could snipe just to see. But my PC ain't what she used to be when running some stuff. Windows 10 really fucked things up for me.

Steam doesn't seem to have it discounted at the moment, so I wouldn't rush to buy it right now.  

Not sure if they'll dip back in to big holiday sale mode this year during the Christmas weekend.

8 hours ago, Reticently said:

Fml, I'm not thinking right today.

I just saw that #earthquake is trending on Twitter, and my first thought was that it was about SamSho.

@DoctaMario  @Hecatom  @Mattatsu  @Sonero

Any of you folks have SamSho on Steam?  Just anticipating the upcoming rollback beta test.

Last gen of fighting games my PC could run was SF4 so I'm pretty sure it won't run SamSho lol

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/12/2023 at 3:10 PM, Reticently said:

Someone posted screen shots to Reddit of the Steam database site, showing that the devs are starting to upload rollback test files ahead of the beta.  Not that there's been an official announcement anywhere about a date.

That's good news.

I was actually playing a buddy last night, we'd play some 7 as he's more of a 7 player and some 5Sp. 5Sp is still the GOAT for me, that game is truly the gift that keeps on giving even though I'm past the part of my life where I eat, sleep , and breathe fighting games. It's too bad the PS4 version doesn't have lobbies because i think we'd have some fun with that one. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ICYMI: SAMURAI SHODOWN will officially be updated with rollback netcode which will drastically improve the online play experience for players across the board.

However, as this new technology will be retrofitted into the game, some intense testing has to take place and that’s where all you come into play (pun intended)!

Now, let me level with you all real quick. You will run into a wide array of issues; some big, some small. These can and most likely will happen at any time during gameplay, and so before everyone goes to download, please keep this in mind: this rollback beta test is not indicative of what the final version is going to look/play like. In fact, in the interest of transparency and commitment, we wanted to inform everyone that we are planning a second beta test to improve on issues found in this beta and to make sure SAMURAI SHODOWN is in the best possible shape before it lands (or slices) into the hands of players across the globe. Also, for this beta test we are running a special desync detection tool on top of the game in order to automatically report issues to Code Mystics. This can result in performance drops and hitches on certain systems. We appreciate your understanding on this matter.

With that said, we do hope you enjoy your time playing during the beta test. We have unlocked all the DLC characters for this beta test as well in order to give everyone the opportunity to test a wide range of characters and help us find specific issues and bugs. If there is anything you feel should be reported, please kindly head to our Technical Support forums and explain to the best of your ability what transpired.

You can opt in to help us test this early version of the updated game through its open community beta. In order to join the beta, right-click on SAMURAI SHODOWN’s properties inside Steam, select the Betas tab and then select "Rollback Beta 1" from the drop-down menu. That will prompt an update on Steam with the early beta version of SAMURAI SHODOWN with updated rollback netcode.

This beta version can only match players against other Beta version users, but you can opt out at any time by selecting "NONE" under the Betas tab. We hope you enjoy and look forward to your feedback!

Beta Duration: February 10th at 8 AM JST through February 17th at 8 AM JST
Area: Worldwide

*Note: Due to a few unresolved issues with match spectating those functions are disabled for this beta.

Thank you again and have fun!
SNK Dev Team

This rollback beta is unplayable. There are so many problems. I get crazy rollbacks, get soft locked on the rematch screen, the hitsparks and visual effects of special moves linger on screen well after the hit, weapons disappearing or being duplicated on disarm.

There are too many issues here for this to be a beta. This some pre-alpha level shit.

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

This rollback beta is unplayable. There are so many problems. I get crazy rollbacks, get soft locked on the rematch screen, the hitsparks and visual effects of special moves linger on screen well after the hit, weapons disappearing or being duplicated on disarm.

There are too many issues here for this to be a beta. This some pre-alpha level shit.

I finally got to play! 

Locked on the rematch screen.  And Ukyo's slash effects post-super continued for the rest of the round.  Wow. 

Agreed: this isn't a beta. 

EDIT: also, is there a dustloop for samsho?  I... really don't know how to play 

Edited by Pair of Rooks
On 2/12/2023 at 2:06 AM, Hawkingbird said:

The game wasn't originally designed with rollback in mind so they need to work all this stuff out now so they don't have to do it later and the only way to do that is to have a lot of people play. They probably should have had a disclaimer pop up when you booted the game but SNK was up front about it.

On 2/12/2023 at 2:20 AM, Pair of Rooks said:

I finally got to play! 

Locked on the rematch screen.  And Ukyo's slash effects post-super continued for the rest of the round.  Wow. 

Agreed: this isn't a beta. 

EDIT: also, is there a dustloop for samsho?  I... really don't know how to play 

If you have any questions, ask me, I'd be happy to answer them. Like Reticently said, the wiki is a good resource for character specific stuff and the SamSho discord is a great server.

Edited by DoctaMario
8 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

The game wasn't originally designed with rollback in mind so they need to work all this stuff out now so they don't have to do it later and the only way to do that is to have a lot of people play. They probably should have had a disclaimer pop up when you booted the game but SNK was up front about it.

It's a beta so I was ready for problems. Just not the ones I got.

9 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

@DoctaMariois the neo Geo collection worth getting? Particularly I want to know if anyone is on V special or perfect. Or am I better off getting the standalone release

If you want to play 5 Special, I'd get the standalone release. The netcode is pretty incredible and while it isn't packed online, if you get on at the right times you can find people. Neo Geo collection is cool for fans of the series, but I don't think it's very populated online so you'd likely be playing the cpu most of the time, which, for SNK games isn't all that much fun. Let me know if you get it, maybe we can play sometime if you're up for it.

Edited by DoctaMario

Beta will end like anytime now.   Had some footsies with a ... idr what's the girl's name is, Tabane or something.   Cxn still rough so I can't actually see any sword strikes, only their aftermath.   Hype for the next beta tho. 

also found this from the discord which was super useful bringing me up to speed on the whole cast

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OTMv681Bn8MsEzqsSRpUvFX5BcRGn37aZqXgmMfaeD0/edit# 

7 hours ago, Pair of Rooks said:

Beta will end like anytime now.   Had some footsies with a ... idr what's the girl's name is, Tabane or something.   Cxn still rough so I can't actually see any sword strikes, only their aftermath.   Hype for the next beta tho. 

also found this from the discord which was super useful bringing me up to speed on the whole cast

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OTMv681Bn8MsEzqsSRpUvFX5BcRGn37aZqXgmMfaeD0/edit# 

This is a nice refresher as it's been a long layoff for me.  Looking to get back in the mix come spring time.