Stage Select

The Samurai Shodown Thread

14 hours ago, Jion_Wansu said:

In that video above, I didn't know that you could cancel the fierce slash (2 punch buttons at the same time) to an SRK with Wan-Fu for a good combo. Kinda like the Ryu/Ken fierce into SRK. Guess you can also cancel a move into the sword throw too.

If it's a multi-hit slash that makes sense that you could cancel it after the first hit since it's a risky move.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2023 at 6:23 PM, Hecatom said:

I follow them for all the more obscure games they keep having tournaments/ranbats/leagues, like many of the licensed Examu games, like Aquapazza

Polimrin (the Mizuki player) posts the 5 Special videos in the SamSho Discord videos channel every week. It's cool seeing the game getting played over there even if it's okay rally by a handful of people.

21 minutes ago, DoctaMario said:

Double post, but....

What would you guys like to see in a sequel to SamSho7/2019? Are there changes you'd make to the system, characters, etc, would you keep it the same?

TBH, I don't know.

I think that mechanically, I like where the game is since it feels like the OG games, but I am sure that those who came from the latests old games, they would like to see something that is more close to those.

I think that I would like to see 1st something like a revision, rather than a direct sequel yet, something to allow have all the chars on a disc, and maybe some few more as a new season/in the disc.

12 hours ago, Hecatom said:

TBH, I don't know.

I think that mechanically, I like where the game is since it feels like the OG games, but I am sure that those who came from the latests old games, they would like to see something that is more close to those.

I think that I would like to see 1st something like a revision, rather than a direct sequel yet, something to allow have all the chars on a disc, and maybe some few more as a new season/in the disc.

I'd be ok with the games feeling like the older games but with new stuff mixed in if the frame data wasn't so restrictive and you had more options with each character. There just doesn't feel like a lot of variety in terms of play styles because the characters' options are so limited which is kind of a bummer. That's my chief complaint about the game. If it were a little more loose, like SS4 or even 5 Special, I think it would have felt like there was more to learn.

12 hours ago, Reticently said:

Roll back from the start, expanded roster, and shit- maybe Bust variants on each character with altered Issen mechanics  (make theirs a grab or something).

Totally agree, especially about the variation system. On a smaller budget, a good variation system can get you a lot of mileage out of your existing roster and I always liked how they did it in the games that had it.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Even at its best in the prior beta, the rollback netcode would probably kill the game if it was pushed out in that state.

The only thing that bugs me about them taking the time to get it right is that the waits in between betas are so long it's obvious this is a low priority project for the people working on it.  Probably never should have talked about launch windows at all if they were going to back-burner it.

3 hours ago, Reticently said:

Even at its best in the prior beta, the rollback netcode would probably kill the game if it was pushed out in that state.

The only thing that bugs me about them taking the time to get it right is that the waits in between betas are so long it's obvious this is a low priority project for the people working on it.  Probably never should have talked about launch windows at all if they were going to back-burner it.

I agree they probably shouldn't have been talking specific windows of time, but I think they probably thought it would be done by then and it turned out to be a bigger job than they thought.

Bonkers 5 Special clip I came across:

Normally in 5 Special any grab you do will end in either the opponent walking away if you didn't push any buttons to follow up the grab, or eating the standard attack follow up if you did. But a recently discovered piece of tech allows for SamSho4/7 style backhit combos off a backthrow off a weapon pickup. Backhits in SamSho games generally grant more hitstun and allow for combos that normally aren't possible from in front, but in most games, they're difficult to get.

Notice in this clip that Haoh lays down his weapon before he grabs Yunfei and throws him behind him, then as Yunfei is in transit, Haoh quickly picks up his weapon and executes a combo that would normally be impossible off a throw (and it's a stylish one too, 2AB>Steel Cutter [632146AB])

Edited by DoctaMario
On 10/28/2023 at 10:00 AM, DoctaMario said:

Even on rollback, 200ms isnt going to be amazing although I've heard the netcode still has some things to be worked out.

Obviously, but there is "not amazing" and there is "what the fuck did I just witness"
It was the latter.
I tested with a person I always test these things with so we have comparison levels, for example,
Strive-DNFD-SFVI highly playable
KOFXV-BBCF pretty playable, still rather not
Anything ancient (98UM-2002UM-LB2-fightcade) perfect
MBTL not happening bro
I'd say the current iteration for SamSho is in the MBTL category, which makes me appreciate the fact it's an endless beta, hopefully they get to improve at least to KOFXV levels

16 hours ago, ZioSerpe said:

Obviously, but there is "not amazing" and there is "what the fuck did I just witness"
It was the latter.
I tested with a person I always test these things with so we have comparison levels, for example,
Strive-DNFD-SFVI highly playable
KOFXV-BBCF pretty playable, still rather not
Anything ancient (98UM-2002UM-LB2-fightcade) perfect
MBTL not happening bro
I'd say the current iteration for SamSho is in the MBTL category, which makes me appreciate the fact it's an endless beta, hopefully they get to improve at least to KOFXV levels

Sure but all those newer games your mentioned released with roll back, no? It's a different kettle of fish trying to retrofit it, especially for something newer. I'm glad they're at least trying to get it right and not just shit it out just to say they did it. I imagine it'll take awhile.

Edited by DoctaMario
8 hours ago, DoctaMario said:

Sure but all those newer games your mentioned released with roll back, no? It's a different kettle of fish trying to retrofit it, especially for something newer. I'm glad they're at least trying to get it right and not just shit it out just to say they did it. I imagine it'll take awhile.

Yeah I don't mean to make it sound it as if I am complaining, if anything I am praising the approach.
I'm just saying it's gonna take quite a while longer to get it tuned.

• 3 weeks later...