Stage Select

The Street Fighter VI Story Thread: Shadaloo Died so Luke Could Live!

Just now, DarthEnderX said:

Does that require Shadaloo membership?  It's just evil Soul Power.

Not necessarily, but Bison is the only known Psycho Power user. He is become Psycho Power incarnate. He is the source of all Psycho and Soul Power in the universe. He taught Rose according to the canon. Everyone who wields this energy in anyway is biologically or spiritually descendent of him somehow. 

So this JP fella better show his receipts if the leak is true.

Edited by Daemos
14 minutes ago, ShockDingo said:

10 years? How old is Li-Feng in SFV and 3? I thought she was around 8-10.

SF3 is 1.5-3 years after the end of ASF.

Li-Fen was what 8-9 in ASF? She looks at least 15-16 here. so 15 minus 8 is 15 years into the future! We're totally fucked now!

Where is Rose with her Time Loop? save us!

Wait a minute...is the big red helmet person...a muscle lady?!

8 minutes ago, Daemos said:

SF3 is 1.5-3 years after the end of ASF.

Li-Fen was what 8-9 in ASF? She looks at least 15-16 here. so 15 minus 8 is 15 years into the future! We're totally fucked now!

Where is Rose with her Time Loop? save us!

I don't think that means anything.  Mel was born in Ken's SF4 ending, and in SF5, he's, like, 5 or something, and those two games are definitely not 5 years apart.

Capcom doesn't care about SF's sliding timeline.  Some characters will age, while others don't.

Edited by DarthEnderX
1 hour ago, DarthEnderX said:

For easy viewing:

SPOILER_unknown.pngSPOILER_unknown.png

SPOILER_unknown.pngSPOILER_unknown.png

SPOILER_unknown.png

SPOILER_unknown.png

So:

Base SF2 all confirmed.
From SUPER, Cammy and... DEE JAY.

Gouki as always (we'll never get rid of him, I fear).

Rashid, Juri, Luke and Ed new mainstays, apparently.

The Italian wrestler is named Marisa.

"Female Abel" is Mimi, and Mexican girl... Lily? Did they just refer to... Tiger Lily, lol?

Edited by Miðgarðsorm

I'm interested with the "JP" guy he looks something important

Not fond on the new roster it has a lot of SF2. 

Sean, Alex, Makoto, Dudley, Adon and Sodom should had been there.

Look's like Sean, Yun and Yang wouldn't make it again because of Jaime. I don't mind the Lee brothers not returning individually.

I'm interested with the "JP" guy he looks something important

Zangief, Chun and Deejay Redesign is okay with me

Edited by Shakunetsu
45 minutes ago, DarthEnderX said:

So where are our Japanese speakers that can translate the names on the newcomers? 

Italian Wrestler: Marisa

French Girl: Mimi

Mexican Girl: Lily(?) 

American Girl: Kimberly

Looking at the concept art, it looks like another SFV deal with the concept being good but it gets botched with the actual implementation in 3d. I was talking to a friend last night and she absolutely predicted Cammy having pants and the returning men having beards, she was a bit sad on that but on my end it was surreal to see that happen. Overall, I'm on the fence but slightly leaning towards positive. This can go wrong in so many ways and I'm not liking the look too much. 

Also is it me or does Ken look like a more modern version of MOTW Terry? 

Edited by N-Tactix

Redesigns aside it looks like they made a majority of the newcomers female. 

5 minutes ago, N-Tactix said:

Is it me or does Ken look like a more modern version of MOTW Terry? 

Basically, and his personality looks sort of grim not the sort of happy go lucky smiling confident Ken we’re used to see him portrayed as. He’s kinda giving me RE8 Chris Redfield vibes now.  Of course Dee Jay and Rashid still seem happy, I wonder if this is significant at all to Kens development at all?

43 minutes ago, bakfromon said:

Redesigns aside it looks like they made a majority of the newcomers female.

And it was about time, honestly.

43 minutes ago, bakfromon said:

Basically, and his personality looks sort of grim not the sort of happy go lucky smiling confident Ken we’re used to see him portrayed as. He’s kinda giving me RE8 Chris Redfield vibes now.  Of course Dee Jay and Rashid still seem happy, I wonder if this is significant at all to Kens development at all?

The most important part is that the WORLD itself seems to be still happy go lucky. There's a lot of LIGHT in future Metro City, and that's good. No Tekken-like grimness all over the place, no "boohoo my family is messed up and I'm so serious and lonely" protagonist. For all the machinations Mad Gear concocted (so they WERE up to something in SFV, after all), there's now plenty of street fighters ready to stop those stupid boxfaces. Gill has his own private  paradise, so if you want to join the cult you can, but he HASN'T taken over the world. That brings a smile to my face.

Also, Zangief is enormous and I dig his redesign. I will definitely try all of the newcomers, primarily Marisa and Lily. I suspect she can be related to Hawk... Imagine if she's his DAUGHTER, lol.

1 minute ago, mykka said:

Yeah I'm definitely not on board with 11 slots going to SF2 characters, and having no representatives from other games. 

I've heard rumors that there are 3 more characters missing from that list, and that Rose is one of them. We'll see.

One SFA, one SFIII, one Final Fight

Some story related leaks from 4chan.

Ken

Spoiler

Q: 

Why the fuck does Ken look like a hobo?

A: Fuck it, I’ll risk my job for this

Ken goes on a journey similar to Ryu to master his skills. But it cost him his finance and family, so he’s looking to fight Ryu once more to regain his glory. A lot of the characters, Luke included, call Ken a washed up has been, which is going to be his story for the roaming mode. It’s your job to help him gain his confidence back

Laura shows up in the story mode, and Sean too, to try to motivate Ken in making a comeback

Q: 
That's kind cool, but what's with the dogtag?

A: 
It belongs to Mel Masters

The reason this might be legit is because of Menat's winquote: 

spacer.png

Poison

Spoiler

Q: Will Poison be in the game?

A: Later on. She’s currently a celebrity alongside Hugo, so they are sitting this one out until the DLC comes out. Capcom realizes that she prints money at this point. Hugo, not so much.

Concerning SFIII characters on what Capcom thinks of them @Scotia

Spoiler

Q: 

Is there any reason none of the SFIII characters made it in? Also, I doubt dlc plans are finalized, but does Laura have a shot?

A: 
The reason is Capcom feels that 3rd strike characters simply don’t sell at all. Capcom feels that they’ve never clicked with an audience, which is why you see even Udon not using them much in promotional art because Capcom has a specific mindset about them. Hell, it was already a nightmare to convince Capcom to use Urien, and Oro, who was supposed to be released a long time ago in V (he was one of the first DLC characters, but pushed him back because the original story in SFV got nuked halfway when finishing it up, which I can explain in better detail which also explains why 3rd strike characters aren’t on Capcoms mind at the moment)

Q: 
I KNEW there was something off about SFV story! Can you tell us about that?

A: 
Sure thing anon. So originally, the story was supposed to be that Necalli KILLS Bison, which is why Ryu was supposed to awaken the Power Of Nothingness to beat him at the very last chapter. But then they couldn’t get Oro in time, and a lot of the game was in beta for a long long time because Capcom wanted to rush the game for their events, so they decided to scrap the entire story, and make it the way you see today. If you really play the game story mode again, or watch it, pay careful attention to when Bison mentions Necalli. After that scene, the entire story got rewritten to the point that it’s unrecognizable from the original draft.

Q: 
Slightly related question. Is there any reason they chose not to give Bison his Story Mode costume for the battle against Ryu. It's pretty clearly supposed to be him battle damaged after Nash's final attack, but they never used it for some reason.

A: 
Actually yes. Here’s the real crazy shit anon. Remember how Necalli V trigger makes his hair go red? Originally, Bisons battle damaged outfit was due to Nash. Then Necalli devours Bisons soul, effectively killing him, but not taking away his psycho powers, since now Necalli has them. Ryu then kills Necalli at the final battle with The Power Of Nothingness. The plans fell through, but Capcom left the bits of the story in the final product. It was a complete shit show.

Q: 
Do you mean 3rd Strike specifically or III in general? Because I feel like characters like Dudley and Ibuki are insanely popular, even for 3S alone Makoto and Q have their niche.

A: 
3 in general. Capcom knows Ibuki has a fan base & urien was well received, but they rather not use them for the base roster at the moment because Capcom really wants to focus on “retiring” the old version for Luke & others in the story mode. Seriously, people are going to be PISSED about what happens to Ken.

Alex

Spoiler

Q:

PLEASE TELL ME IF ALEX IS COMING ANON
I NEED TO KNOW

A:
I’m sorry, I’m getting back to everyone as quick as I can since it’s late at night here. But Alex is in story mode, and you run into him. He’s long since retired from fighting, but fights Luke to show him that he still has it and gives him advice on how to control his aggression. But yeah, Alex is long retired from the fighting scene. Says it’s not worth it

5 hours ago, Miðgarðsorm said:

There's a lot of LIGHT in future Metro City,

THIS. THIS THIS! I'm glad we didn't clumsily tumble into a dystopia or sorrow fest.  I'm eager to see what's going on with all factions here

3 hours ago, mikros said:

Marisa is the most classic Street Fighter looking character in the whole cast, including the redesigned returning characters.

With all the muscle women brightening my Twitter timeline, it's nice to see SF get a bigger, brawny lady in the cast to bring in some variety. I'm just not sold on her hair yet since it looks kinda off, but I'm down for giving everyone a shot. Man, sometimes seeing something in action is better than reading it. I wasn't sure how to feel about things when reading that supposed leak, but I'm digging everyone, just hoping JP isn't yet another Shadaloo dude and is tied to G's organization or something truly new.

3 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Two black characters in a Street Fighter game and neither of them is a boxer!? Never thought I'd see the day. Fine with the roster for the most part. I would have ditched some of SF2 cast for returning characters from SF3/SFA/FF characters personally.

Amen, my brother, amen! Yeah, while I'm happy with what we have so far, I really would have liked a few 3rd strike reps or alpha ones.

Holy crap, I hope that "leak" is false with regards to Alex and the SF3 characters. That sounds crap.

2 hours ago, BootyWarrior said:

Some story related leaks from 4chan.

I don't really take the story seriously because of it sudden appearance like it was like a fanfic base on the leaked character artwork

I don't think capcom would be brave enough to include SF3 characters in NPC that won't be playable. that's kind of an insult to injury

Especially if there reason to go to metrocity is just to tell people that they are retired. There is no reason. It should had been more like Rufus thing to do not something to pissed off fans like intentionally.

I call BS on that story leak. Especially with SF3 characters like Makoto being some of the most popular characters in the franchise. Also the original story seems like nonsense as well. We already knew the basics of how Shadaloo was brought down via the scraps of story we got in SF3 and hints from the Alpha series.

Edited by Darc_Requiem

Okay, I've given myself at least 12 hours post-trailer to collect myself and my thoughts for Chun-Li and her redesign. 

First of all, they showcased Street Fighter 6 and the redesign of Chun-Li on my birthday! So already this has a profound impact. It just feels a little extra special. We all knew Chun-Li was gonna be in. She is too important of a character to not be in the game. I think we were all anticipating that she was gonna have a redesign. They gave Luke and Ryu a new looks in their teaser, so it was safe to assume that Chun could get one as well. 

Capcom def played it safe with SFV in not totally redesigning all of their characters. Some got minor changes (Dhalsim, Vega, M. Bison), others go completely in a different direction (Karin, Sakura, Cody), and there were some that just played it safe with hardly any changes (Ryu, Zangief, Rose, and of course Chun-Li). 

Since Chun already had an iconic character design, any drastic changes could ruined what made her design so timeless. But since Chun-Li has moved into a different role in her life after retiring as a police officer, I definitely agreed that change would've been inevitable. Since SF6 was going to be fresh for a new generation, it was time to reintroduce our poster girl in a different look. Something that kept her familiar, but also had understandable and meaningful changes. 

And SF fam... let me just say...

I LOVE HER NEW REDESIGN

CLOTHING

Chun-Li's most dominant color for pretty much her entire lifespan in Street Fighter has always been blue. There might be different shades of it depending on the game and the graphics at the time. But her primary associated color has always been, and probably will always be, blue. This time, the blue that catches the eye first when looking at her is a sky blue, paired with a more ocean blue, which comes in the form of her new legging colors, and also seen on one shoulder sleeve, which helps break up the symmetry. And while gold used to be one of the main accented colors in her old qipao design, it now takes a more subtle approach to the color, serving as the colors for her hair and ribbons, her qipao outlines and design patterns. If you look closely, you'll see gold and black are the, are more prominent on the underside of the new qipao, as well as the base colors of her new bracelets and flats she wears on her feet.

Interestingly, Chun-Li's main three primary colors are blue, white, and gold. But for this outfit, they blended the blue and white together, which explains why a light blue is now Chun's primary color look for SF6. By blending two of her primary colors together, and replacing it with white, it does enough to feel new but familiar.

According to colorsexplained.com blue emits the emotions of Trust, Responsibility, Loyalty, and Authority. Blue emits a Calming, Relaxing, Cognitive enhancing effect. And the positive feelings you get out of it include Honesty, Peace, Serenity, and Commitment.

Summary of the meanings of the color blue

The redesign rings true to the colors and color psychology that have everything to do with Chun-Li's character. Instead of being a headstrong individual who's only goal is to defeat M. Bison, bring down Shadaloo, and avenge her father at any cost, she is now a devoted teacher and respected member of her community. She is someone looked up to. Someone you can learn from, but also someone who will teach through patience, care, and love, as displayed in her SFIII endings.

Another thing to take note of in the design are the sky, clouds, water, and bird design in Chun's qipao. Here are some of the predictions I have in the symbolism of those designs. I think the Sky/Clouds is symbolic of heaven or the afterlife, where her father resides. And the Bird symbolizes Chun-Li (Spinning Bird Kick after all). The bird flies gracefully down from heaven to the water, possibly symbolizing Chun-Li being at peace with moving on from avenging her father, while the sky trail she leaves behind (or symbolically flies upon) keeps her connected to him in memoriam.

I do believe the Water/Ocean down at the bottom of the Qipao does symbolize the most ideas and themes. The water is symbolic of Chun-Li and her fighting style of Kung Fu. "You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.” - Bruce Lee. Chun-Li's kung fu can be swift, powerful, forming, graceful, soft, and so much more. 

The water can also represent the world, or more specifically, Chun-Li's prospective students. Now that Chun-Li is a teacher, she can mold those new students into powerful warriors just like her. But her fluid teachings and patience are also that of water. And the thing about water, when more are grouped together, it can become an unstoppable force. For instance, a garden hose vs a tsunami. I'm predicting Chun's teachings and influcence on kung fu will make waves upon the fighting world. This all connects back to her father (as seen again on her qipao), as she's doing all she can to make her father proud. And I'm sure if he were alive, he would most certainly be proud of her daughter.

A while ago, I made this prediction about Chun's redesign. I thought that one of the directions that Capcom will go would be a Sifu look. "

A "Sifu" Alpha look: Mostly inspired from the game "Sifu". But this look could easily be redesigned to look like her Alpha costume. In Chun's arcade ending of SFIII, she ends up teaching little kids. So I think it would be cool if Chun-Li followed in the footsteps of her masters (Gen and her father) and became a Sifu herself. Plus the alpha look of this redesign will make her feel familiar, but the Sifu look would advance her character forward and see her as a master after so many years.

I can't take 100% percent of the credit and say I was right. But this new Chun redesign is def one of the directions that I though Capcom would go for. Chun-Li's costume looks like she's a Sifu. And according to her SF6 description, that's the mantle she takes up: a respected member of the community who teaches Kung fu classes. 

To be fair, Chun-Li's classic design will always hold a place in my heart. It's a top favorite costume of hers, and that will never go away. But this new redesign for Chun is 100% appropriate and on brand for Chun-Li. And I love everything about this design.

FACE/ANIMATIONS

I'm sure with plenty of time left from now until launch, Capcom will make some changes to her face. Chun looks great, but this creepy grin might need a little touch up or two. 
Every Returning Character in Street Fighter 6 So Far | Game Live Story

But what I love about this look is that they made Chun-Li look more Chinese than she did in previous iterations, which is something I greatly appreciate. I think Chun-Li looks good. She looks aged up, but it looks like she's in her mid-late 30s in this game. So she has that mature air about her, but still is beautiful for all us long-time Chun-Li fans. I love the way Chun-Li looks in this new graphics engine, and this touched up face of hers. Look how royally elegant she looks.

Street Fighter 6 Gameplay Shows Off Chun-Li, Open-World Exploration

One last thing I want to point out, and it's can be seen during Ryu's Shin Shoryuken in the Commentary SF6 video, This may be emcompassing every SF6 character face model, but I absolutely LOVE the characters' animated facial reactions when they get hit, instead of the same generic "pained faces" they've used for SF4 and 5.

I've rewatched the trailer many times, and there are some moments where Chun's legs look a little wonky, like made of playdough. So I'm sure Capcom will go and revisit that. not sure if it's the muscle physics, some animation wonkiness. But there are moments where Chun-Li looks as gracefull and fluid, and others it's just one giant cake to the face.

They made Chun-Li a stance character. Though the only data I can find is that she's displaying two different crouching animations. One where she's seated on the ground (just like her SFV crouching pose), and one where she's bent a little over. I think Chun's movelist is reflective on Chun-Li relying a little more on grace instead of raw power. While she can kick very fast as well as very hard, I'm noticing more fluid and circle motions in her moves.

I'm sure Capcom will do some retouches. Chun-Li had a couple of retouches with her SF5 model from when she was introduced to what she is now. Plus, we all know the whole MVCI fiasco with Chun's face. Chun-Li looks great now. And I'm looking forward to see what she'll look like in final form.

VOICE

if you weren't aware on the SF6 website, Chun-Li's long-time english voice actor sine SF4 in 2008 Laura Bailey is being replaced by Jennie Kwan. Laura Bailey has always been my #1 favorite VA of all time, and I'm forever grateful for providing the voice of Chun-Li for the past 14 years.  But I'm very VERY excited to hear Jennie Kwan take up the new voice for Chun-Li. (For those of you who aren't familiar with her work, she's the voice of Suki from Avatar the Last Airbender. Or for something a little more recent, she voices the 2nd main girl Mayuko Nise in Netflix's Hi-Rise Invasion.) As an Asian-American myself, i'm loving how they cast a Chinese VA to voice Chun-Li. Love the representation.

Jennie also makes Chun-Li sound a little older than Laura Bailey's more young and energetic resonance she gave Chun. So I think this is a fantastic choice.

PERSONALITY

One thing I'm noticing is Chun's parry animations. SHe has one hand behind her back and deflects each hit with only one arm. She keeps a sage expression on her face, and has this serenity feel to her animations. It feels that she's not wasting any more effort than she knows she should. And this kind of personality can also bee seen in the Trailer. Chun-Li is training with a young student (supposedly Li-Fen), and notice how she's kept her hands behind her back and makes dodging the young girl look effortless.

I would love to see some smile or love in that short clip though. Since Li-Fen is her adoptive daughter, I would think sparring with her would be a time where she can find some simple fun and joy, so maybe a subtle smile in seeing Li-Fen grow and improve, but also knowing she has got a long way to go.

TLDRI LOVE HER NEW REDESIGN

Expanding on my dislike for the outfits

The world warriors pretty much all have some useless junk on them, like cheap Chinese game designs. For example, Ryu is wearing some blanket on him why? Does he carry it to sleep in the street? That's ok, but does he also wear it while he fights? Is this supposed to be an iconic look for Ryu in pop culture from now on, like, yeah the Street Fighter dude that wears a blanket across his chest? Why is Ken looking like disgraced Johnny Laurence? Why give Zangief pants? Is Blanka's iconic look supposed to include a scarf from now on? Why does it look like even Guile is wearing some sort of fashion clothes? Chun Li, I can't really be impartial about her... Do the designers think that any of these outfits will outlast the originals or improve on them somehow?

Then when we move into the row of other returning characters, is Cammy's waist-less, long-sleeved jacket supposed to be for summer or winter, or just 100% fashion design? DJ looks less visually striking than his classic maximum outfit though that's arguable I guess. Rashid looks great himself, but why the crossed belts across his chest? Does Juri really have non-functional zippers in her chaps? And she wears a spider piece that's separate from her actual vest? Why is ED wearing a jacket and no shirt? Why is Akuma wearing some random fur just over his shoulders?

Why does Jamie wear a jacket that does not cover his waist too? Nevermind his rolled-up leg cause he's a oh so quirky drunken fist fighter (I really hope it's rolled up and not tailored asymmetrical). I don't even know what to think of Lili, other than she looks like a Samurai Shodown character. How many unnecessary elements is Kimberly wearing? She's even carrying a braindead pandering character design “this character loves music, just like you” element!

I like many aspects of what we've seen so far, but the outfits look like some garbage-tier free-to-play Chinese game.

9 minutes ago, Chun-Li_Forever said:

it's on the Playstation Blog, so not really a "leak", unlike the leaked character roster.

I'm watching Cammy in her classic outfit doing her super on Cammy in her new outfit. It seems all supers are going to be 15 second cinematics now.

Edit: That Ken story leak has to be true, I've never seen Ken look like this before. 

Edited by BootyWarrior