Stage Select

The SF6 Thread: Akuma Incoming!

1 hour ago, Reticently said:

One of the legitimate criticisms of SFxT was that the customization options allowed people to force various degrees of visual obnoxiousness on online opponents.

What sucks is that if it hadn't been for those shit ass neon colors, we could've kept color edit mode as a standard feature.  Unfortunately Ono flying to close to sun.

Also, Evo has gone to the birds

14 minutes ago, Chun-Li_Forever said:

I like dude's art, but it always cracks up when has Juri calling Chun and/or Cammy old. Juri is like 5 years older than Cammy and 1 year younger than Chun Li. Juri was 25 in SF4. Chun was 26.

@purbeast it's just the style of fade Lil Boosie rocks.

PCVuZaxvgWUOLPLya8haw8kA0p47QNZIfXugXMM9

Edited by Darc_Requiem
25 minutes ago, elliephil said:

I knew cosplay competitions were a sham when I watched one once and the guy who made a fully functioning Ironman suit got 3rd. I wish I could remember where it was but that hurt my soul seeing that.

Think the only cosplay contest stuff I can get behind were the ones BlizzCon used to have. Because those were about people legitimately putting together some outlandish shit.

There's a lot of weird secondary and tertiary things going with the people doing cosplay that are...offputting. But some people are just balling out with crafting some nonsense.

Can't say how much I don't like FG tournaments having cosplay competitions. But i don't travel to majors so its technically a non-issue. 😂

23 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Think the only cosplay contest stuff I can get behind were the ones BlizzCon used to have. Because those were about people legitimately putting together some outlandish shit.

Honestly, the thing that got me to respect, good, cosplayers was some of the wild shit I'd see them do for Mass Effect. I don't think I can find the video because of how long it's been, but some dude cosplayed as Urdnot Grunt. It was wearable suit that was animitronic. It was like a top notch practical effect from 80 or 90s big budget flick. Shit was amazing. These days, because its a mini industry, a lot of cosplay is just people buying costumes online. The old school, made by hand, stuff is what I appreciated. This isn't it but to give you and idea.

39de29914103b4b521f9ca055cd23e98.jpg

Dude made something like that and the head was completely animatronic. Suit was hot as fuck to wear from what he was saying. And those old school style projects they'd s how off their progress as they were creating it. So it was like Bob Ross painting in costume form. At first you'd be like "what the fuck is that" as the weeks/months went by it would unfold into something impressive.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
4 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

These days, because its a mini industry, a lot of cosplay is just people buying costumes online.

I blame Jessica Nigri lolol

But on a serious note, I don't pretend to know anything about cosplay but I do know that some cosplayers straight up expect to be paid to show up to cons. I don't know about fighting game tournaments yet but it seems wild to me to ask money from organizers to show up in a costume.

Faced my first Ed's last night and here are my first impressions.

1. I know I'm in the minority on this take, but I think his animations are janky.  Something about them looks off and I can't pinpoint why.

2. The fact that blocking AND parrying his web move still pulls you in seems pretty dumb.  What is the point of even blocking it?

3. He was doing some charge web move and I had some questions about it

a. When he is charging it, can he not move?  It looks like he's stood still every time he did it.   Can he cancel out of it if s?

b. Does it auto track somehow or is there a separate straight and angled version?  I jumped over it and punished a charging character sometimes but others I got hit with one that AA'd me.

I think that's all for now.  Overall I wasn't a fan of facing the character and after facing none in 2 nights I ended up facing 3 in a row.  A lot of it is just matchup knowledge though.

5 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Faced my first Ed's last night and here are my first impressions.

1. I know I'm in the minority on this take, but I think his animations are janky.  Something about them looks off and I can't pinpoint why.

2. The fact that blocking AND parrying his web move still pulls you in seems pretty dumb.  What is the point of even blocking it?

3. He was doing some charge web move and I had some questions about it

a. When he is charging it, can he not move?  It looks like he's stood still every time he did it.   Can he cancel out of it if s?

b. Does it auto track somehow or is there a separate straight and angled version?  I jumped over it and punished a charging character sometimes but others I got hit with one that AA'd me.

I think that's all for now.  Overall I wasn't a fan of facing the character and after facing none in 2 nights I ended up facing 3 in a row.  A lot of it is just matchup knowledge though.

1. They seem fine to me, but to each his own.

2. No clue, you gain drive gauge from parrying and lose it for blocking. So blocking it does seem pointless.

3. Psycho Snatcher, it was his V-Skill 1 in SFV

a. He can cancel out of the standard version with his command dash, Kill Rush. It's basically a sway. He has to commit to OD version, it's not cancelable.

b. Psycho Snatcher has three different angles. Jab Snatcher goes horizontal. Strong Snatcher angles low. Fierce Snatcher is the anti air version.

I've been playing around with some buttons my buddy let me borrow (3 gamerfinger, 1 samducksa 24mm, 1 samducksa 30mm) and also messed around with different switches, and I may try a full set of them.  Today I received some Kailh speed navy switches and they are pretty damn clicky but also need some heavy hands compared to others to press, which I like.  I am also interested in getting the shorter actuation pads to see if I can get them closer to sanwa actuation that I'm used to but they are out of stock everywhere now.

But over the weekend I'm going to play around with my controller having half of these mechanical switches in them and if I like them, I may order a full set of samducksa next week.

Anyone here use clicky mechanical switches in their arcade sticks?  I'm curious to hear opinions on them.  At this point I am like 90% I'm going to buy a full set of Samducksa (for top facing buttons only) just because now I am curious about it.

Edited by purbeast
18 hours ago, purbeast said:

Anyone here use clicky mechanical switches in their arcade sticks?  I'm curious to hear opinions on them. 

When I was still using Crown/Samducksa SDB-202 buttons, I had Cherry Blue switches that I really liked. They are loud af but they were a great feel. These days I'm using iL buttons which use ZF D44x switches (I believe they used to be manufactured under the Cherry name.)

I only stopped using those buttons and switches because I was playing more marvel again around that time and I didn't like the actual plungers for wavedashing and hitting the buttons hard and fast.

7 minutes ago, elliephil said:

When I was still using Crown/Samducksa SDB-202 buttons, I had Cherry Blue switches that I really liked. They are loud af but they were a great feel. These days I'm using iL buttons which use ZF D44x switches (I believe they used to be manufactured under the Cherry name.)

I only stopped using those buttons and switches because I was playing more marvel again around that time and I didn't like the actual plungers for wavedashing and hitting the buttons hard and fast.

Yeah the Cherry Blue are what I was testing out 3 of those buttons with.  So far I like the navy's better.  They have shorter actuation and require a little more force than the blues.

The one thing I am noticing with these mechanical switches that I was not having with Sanwa's though is that I am getting some unwanted negative edge shit and it's costing me big time.  I think it's because they have longer actuation than Sanwa and bottom out further too.  I think both of those combined are causing the negative edge to come into play, and I'll do the wrong special moves sometimes, with the button I pressed prior of what I intended to do.  It's super frustrating.  I didn't get as much of it last night with the navy switches compared to the blue one I was using before though.  I'm going to try turning that option off today and see if it makes a difference and if I get any other unintended side effects.

It's weird though because I know the clickyiness is loud and stuff, but I feel like the sanwa buttons are louder because they make a more "smack" sound than these do.  These seem a bit more dampened for some reason. And I'm referring to the Samducksa ones not the crown - crown are quieter and like have dampener built in.  I was also surprised how different they sound in the controller versus just playing around with them in my hand.

Either way the noise doesn't bother me since I'm in my basement playing with the volume turned up kinda loud on my surround sound.

33 minutes ago, elliephil said:

Where did you get the navy blue switches?

I got them from here:

https://novelkeys.com/products/kailh-switches?variant=40598672474279

If you were near me I'd just give you some to play around with I got 36 in the pack and only need like 1/3 of them.  Probably wouldn't be worth it to ship some to you though.

This is the comparison between the Kaihl navy and the Cherry Blue.

8phrG8s.png

Ay6c71c.png

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

I got them from here:

https://novelkeys.com/products/kailh-switches?variant=40598672474279

If you were near me I'd just give you some to play around with I got 36 in the pack and only need like 1/3 of them.  Probably wouldn't be worth it to ship some to you though.

This is the comparison between the Kaihl navy and the Cherry Blue.

8phrG8s.png

Ay6c71c.png

Yeah that actuation is actually crazy. I only ask where you got them because I was looking online and it was mainly ebay sellers.

This site isn't all that expensive so I'll order some of my own at some point. Definitely not worth the hassle of mailing anything across the country.  I appreciate your generosity regardless haha.

4 hours ago, elliephil said:

Yeah that actuation is actually crazy. I only ask where you got them because I was looking online and it was mainly ebay sellers.

This site isn't all that expensive so I'll order some of my own at some point. Definitely not worth the hassle of mailing anything across the country.  I appreciate your generosity regardless haha.

Yeah after I found Cherry MX switches on Amazon and they were expensive for like $10 of em, I was like that seems cheap AF for 36 of em lol.  Hell their Cherry ones are even cheaper since they are on clearance.

And they are located about 3 hours from me so I got them in 2 days USPS Ground Advantage.

The site is legit for sure though so don't worry about that or anything.

Also FWIW, Sanwa's are apparently like .8mm actuation and around 2.5mm bottom or so.  It's hard to find an exact spec on them but googling that is what I came across.

I just got back from Microcenter and tried 2 different o-rings to see if I could get the bottom out distance shortened but neither of them would fit, even the smaller one.  They were too large to go "inside" the switch when it's being depressed.  

I'm going to try those Kahuna ones from paradise arcade whenever they come back in stock, which they told me should be in the next few weeks.

Edited by purbeast
On 3/2/2024 at 4:58 PM, purbeast said:

Also FWIW, Sanwa's are apparently like .8mm actuation and around 2.5mm bottom or so.

I think sanwas officially require more actuation force than those samducksa/crown buttons but that value can deviate sometimes. Kind of one of the issues with them.

5 minutes ago, elliephil said:

I think sanwas officially require more actuation force than those samducksa/crown buttons but that value can deviate sometimes. Kind of one of the issues with them.

I believe the Sanwa are like 45g equivalent from what I saw when searching.  The force can vary big time on the Samducksa based on which switch you have in there. 

4 minutes ago, purbeast said:

I believe the Sanwa are like 45g equivalent from what I saw when searching.  The force can vary big time on the Samducksa based on which switch you have in there. 

My bad, operating force*

Depends on the model but I've seen some charts ranging from 45g to 55g

3 minutes ago, elliephil said:

My bad, operating force*

Depends on the model but I've seen some charts ranging from 45g to 55g

Gotcha.  Yeah I was kind of surprised there was no like spec sheet with those details from Sanwa officially when I was googling.  That seems like something that would be front and center.  But I guess it doesn't matter since they have no variations.

I ordered my stuff over the weekend so hopefully by the end of the week I get it all.  I had to order from 2 sites because none of them had everything in stock that I needed.

Edited by purbeast

Andre Howard is back after six years away from major fighting game events following rape and assault accusations

In an Orlando, Florida competition that took place between March 1-3, fighting game competitor Andre “iOverthk” Howard placed in the top 8 in a Street Fighter 6 tournament.

Multiple organizations have banned fighting game competitor Andre “OmGiTzAndre” Howard from competing at their events after a fellow community member said he raped and assaulted her. The woman described the abuse last night after her boyfriend spoke about it in a podcast on Tuesday.

Howard is a regular competitor on the fighting game scene, with multiple finals appearances in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite. (He’s also known for pleading guilty to credit card fraud and identity theft in 2016.) As Howard came up on Tuesday night’s episode of The On Blast Show, a weekly Twitch podcast, fellow player Joey “Joey D” D’Alessandro dropped a bombshell.

“He’s a rapist,” D’Alessandro claimed in the stream’s chat. “He raped my girlfriend.”

Howard uploaded a video to YouTube (which has since been removed) denying claims that he raped the woman. He also referred to what happened at Northeast Championship as an “argument,” saying that the attendee who intervened only did so because “he thought I was coming at him to fight him” and “the liquor took over.”

The woman who says Howard raped her shared more details late Wednesday night in a now-deleted Facebook post, claiming that Howard forced himself on her one night in December 2015, just a few days before the tournament, despite her cries and pleas to stop. After the assault at Northeast Championship, she says Howard threatened to cancel her flight home and leave her stranded, effectively blocking her from involving the proper authorities.

“Andre was torn up over this, crying, threatening to hurt himself for what he did, etc.,” she wrote. “I was still scared of him but I did not want anything bad to happen to him. Could I really call it rape or go to authorities if we both were drunk and the abuser claims he doesn’t remember doing it? So I decided to keep quiet about it all and protect myself the best I could.”

Since the Facebook post, some of the biggest fighting game organizations in the world have banned Howard from their tournaments, including Combo Breaker, Community Effort Orlando, Final Round, and Big E Gaming. Compete has reached to the woman and Andre for comment. This post will be updated if they respond.

I had forgotten all about that guy.

Edited by AriesWarlock

I remember seeing Andre at Youmacon in Detroit shortly after he pleaded guilty to credit card fraud. Everyone kind of couldn't believe he would show up but then I made the realization that we were in the presence of someone who doesn't give a fuck what people think about him. He doesn't have remorse. There are no second chances because I don't think he understands the gravity of his actions and simply doesn't care.

How can you trust someone like that? I don't think you can. It's unsettling.

Edited by elliephil
15 hours ago, elliephil said:

How can you trust someone like that? I don't think you can. It's unsettling.

Not trying to grandstand on anything, but that's why shame and shaming people is important. Its a very...non-violent way of getting people to fix their shit. Unfortunately the last 60 years have taken something important mechanically for culture into a billion different convos. TL;DR: If you ever meet somebody willing to fuck up a group and not give a shit,think very carefully where you're threading with that person.

Also,

Did a new mod for Gio. Unfortunately some anime people aren't true men of culture:

21 minutes ago, Sonero said:

TL;DR: If you ever meet somebody willing to fuck up a group and not give a shit,think very carefully where you're threading with that person.

1000% agree. Met too many people in different communities (music and fighting games in particular) who fit into that box of bordering on sociopath. If shaming people who are definitively guilty of something is grandstanding, then so be it. Not everyone is going to like what you say and some people will defend shitty people on the basis of ideology rather than practicality. They can get bent lol.

45 minutes ago, Sonero said:

Not trying to grandstand on anything, but that's why shame and shaming people is important. Its a very...non-violent way of getting people to fix their shit.

It's not grandstanding, you are right. Teaching people that everything is okay and that basically nothing should be shamed is crazy. I see that "body positivity" (fat) influencers dropping dead because telling a fat person that they are fat is "fat shaming". No it's the truth. I need to lose some weight. If someone says I'm fat. They aren't shaming me, they are telling the truth. Hopefully I can get my shit together by summer.

On 3/3/2024 at 8:46 PM, purbeast said:

Gotcha.  Yeah I was kind of surprised there was no like spec sheet with those details from Sanwa officially when I was googling.  That seems like something that would be front and center.  But I guess it doesn't matter since they have no variations.

I ordered my stuff over the weekend so hopefully by the end of the week I get it all.  I had to order from 2 sites because none of them had everything in stock that I needed.

The best Alpha 3 player in Japan tried these Seimitsu buttons that are SPRING LOADED and said they are very tiring to use. I want to try a spring in the IL buttons I'm using. They do sell the springs separately on focusattack. https://focusattack.com/seimitsu-ps-button-spring-mm9-3-0-25n-ps-14-dx-k-ps-15/

You can also add the tension spring to an order of buttons themselves. https://focusattack.com/seimitsu-ps-14-k-30mm-snap-in-pushbutton-green/

Have you tried any buttons with springs?

9 minutes ago, elliephil said:

The best Alpha 3 player in Japan tried these Seimitsu buttons that are SPRING LOADED and said they are very tiring to use. I want to try a spring in the IL buttons I'm using. They do sell the springs separately on focusattack. https://focusattack.com/seimitsu-ps-button-spring-mm9-3-0-25n-ps-14-dx-k-ps-15/

You can also add the tension spring to an order of buttons themselves. https://focusattack.com/seimitsu-ps-14-k-30mm-snap-in-pushbutton-green/

Have you tried any buttons with springs?

I have not, other than the springs in the switches, unless the Happ buttons in my arcade machines have springs, which they probably do lol.

For home sticks I've only ever used Sanwa until I tried these mechanical ones recently.

2 hours ago, purbeast said:

I have not, other than the springs in the switches, unless the Happ buttons in my arcade machines have springs, which they probably do lol.

For home sticks I've only ever used Sanwa until I tried these mechanical ones recently.

I'm using long stem buttons so I suppose I need to make a change to short stem for a more resitant spring to even make sense. I'm pretty sure IL buttons still use a spring (the og Happ button manufacturer) but they don't seem that hard to press since they are the long stem versions.

Not sure exactly how heavy of a spring are in those buttons. Maybe I will inquire.

1 hour ago, elliephil said:

I'm using long stem buttons so I suppose I need to make a change to short stem for a more resitant spring to even make sense. I'm pretty sure IL buttons still use a spring (the og Happ button manufacturer) but they don't seem that hard to press since they are the long stem versions.

Not sure exactly how heavy of a spring are in those buttons. Maybe I will inquire.

I am pretty sure I have a spare one sitting around somewhere from when I put new buttons in one of my cabinets.  I'll see if I can find it and pop it open.  Now you got me curious too lol.

EDIT:

Nope I don't, I must have trashed it a while ago.

Edited by purbeast