Stage Select

The Wrestling Thread

I honestly don't know what the deal is with this Cody guy, but he left AEW, right?

Let's be real, he's either retiring or going to WWE.

The stupidest part of the whole thing is people trying to act like they got a plug and talking about how he's going to "show up on this episode" and then crickets.

People got blown tf up claiming he'd be Miz's partner, now they're running with this idea of Seth getting a match with him because last night's episode was thoroughly stupid.

Suckas sounding like the Donkey from Shrek. He'll get there when he gets there dammit.

yeah that sucks. RIP. Razor, Diesel and a few others were some of my favorites during the New Generation and NWO eras. Hell, in a high school video project, we even used Razor's theme to end the video. Think I still got a copy of the tape somewhere. Don't know if anyone has seen this but JBL impersonate Vince pretty good. I think the audience clapped because of his Vince impersonation. Video is timestamped:

9 minutes ago, Jion_Wansu said:

yeah that sucks. RIP. Razor, Diesel and a few others were some of my favorites during the New Generation and NWO eras. Hell, in a high school video project, we even used Razor's theme to end the video. Think I still got a copy of the tape somewhere. Don't know if anyone has seen this but JBL impersonate Vince pretty good. I think the audience clapped because of his Vince impersonation. Video is timestamped:

Yea that's dead on hahaha

6 hours ago, scorp said:

How unfortunate for him that he cannot interview someone at WM. 

That whole angle is the drizzling shits.

It really does suck for Rollins. One of the biggest names in the company and he has no concrete plan for their biggest show. They had a match planned for a commentator but not him.

Somebody had a cool idea for Wrestlemania to pay tribute to Scott Hall: an Ladder Match for the IC Title 

Throw Seth (since he's trying to find a match), Ricochet, Kofi, a few other reliable hands and have Cody be the final participant. 

And have those particular guys win matches to "qualify" in order to participate in the weeks leading up to WM. Shit writes itself, they could even make it an annual thing 

Edited by HD-Man

Slowly but surely seeing why Owens resigned with WWE, I thought it was a bad move at first but the fact that they wanted him to stay, has seen noticeably increased screen time, is arguably the number 3 or 4 guy in the company and has a big segment with Steve Austin means the company obviously has faith in him. 

That in combination with the fat checks, I ain't even mad anymore. I feel like he'd eventually get lost in the shuffle on AEW, he stands out more in WWE who's kinda lacking in star power and roster isn't as bloated 

9 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

Slowly but surely seeing why Owens resigned with WWE, I thought it was a bad move at first but the fact that they wanted him to stay, has seen noticeably increased screen time, is arguably the number 3 or 4 guy in the company and has a big segment with Steve Austin means the company obviously has faith in him. 

That in combination with the fat checks, I ain't even mad anymore. I feel like he'd eventually get lost in the shuffle on AEW, he stands out more in WWE who's kinda lacking in star power and roster isn't as bloated 

Owens likely signed for more personal reasons than anything else. Both of his are on the spectrum and WWE has always let Owens work a schedule that lets him be around his family a lot.

He also moved back to Ontario after going to the main roster. If he signed with AEW he likely wouldn’t have that luxury. Japan is likely out of the question too for the above reason regarding his kids plus the tours would be insanely long (the standard gaijin tour for Japanese companies is about 3 months) 

Also, he’s getting fat stacks from WWE now. AEW likely couldn’t match what WWE was offering. 

Edited by iStu X
2 hours ago, HD-Man said:

They see Owens as a top guy and that's been evident from when he first appeared challenging Cena and later becoming Universal Champion.  Since then he's only feuded with top half guys and if they lost him to AEW it would have been a crippling blow.  Even if they have other guys in his tier like Orton, AJ, and Rollins, just the appearance of letting someone like that walk when they already lost Bry-D would have given off an impression to casuals, not just the hardcore fans, that WWE was falling apart.  I knew WWE would keep him because Owens had them by the nuts in negotiations.  

Speaking of the ones that got away, I'm slowly starting to see what Vince meant about Keith and his speaking.  I sorta get WWECW Lashley vibes from him lately in AEW, he's more eloquent than Lashley was but it's the same issue of the emotion in his voice not matching the situations he's in.  Not that I'd have made Cole his manager, but a dynamic like what Robert Stone has with Von Wagner right now where Stone starts it off and Lee finishes it would've been apt.  

Capacity for the Cardiff venue is 74,500.  If it's a sellout then we can permanently put to bed the notion that WWE is doing bad business.  It's one thing when you got the NBC and Saudi deals, and the lure of WrestleMania, but if you're filling a stadium of that size and it's not a major show, then someone is buying what you're selling.

As for All Out, I doubt there's going to be any overlap, especially with the time zone differences.  

47 minutes ago, Psychoblue said:

Capacity for the Cardiff venue is 74,500.  If it's a sellout then we can permanently put to bed the notion that WWE is doing bad business.  It's one thing when you got the NBC and Saudi deals, and the lure of WrestleMania, but if you're filling a stadium of that size and it's not a major show, then someone is buying what you're selling.

As for All Out, I doubt there's going to be any overlap, especially with the time zone differences.  

Well nobody doubts the WWE's promotional and fan power.

8 hours ago, Psychoblue said:

There's a lot of meme potential here.  Roman mouthing WTF before quickly closing his car door is going to be a GIF for years to come.

EDIT:  Bro, twitter is in SHAMBLES over Cody officially re-signing with WWE.  Why are they getting so up in arms about CAW-dy?  

Cody being a former EVP of a rival company designed to be the antithesis of WWE, who constantly took shots at WWE only to leave  and go back to WWE is quite interesting. Even more so with the alleged dump truck of money they're giving Cody, I suspect WWE may even possibly book him well and make him a mainstream star as a giant  "Fuck you" to AEW, very interesting situation here, tbh. Easily the most interesting "storyline" in wrestling now 

Edited by HD-Man
14 minutes ago, HD-Man said:

Cody being a former EVP of a rival company designed to be the antithesis of WWE, who constantly took shots at WWE only to leave  and go back to WWE is quite interesting. Even more so with the alleged dump truck of money they're giving Cody, I suspect WWE may even possibly book him well and make him a mainstream star as a giant  "Fuck you" to AEW, very interesting situation here, tbh. Easily the most interesting "storyline" in wrestling now 

In the end he’s CAW-dy.  He’ll have some early buzz and then go back to where he was before he left. It’d be like Jeff Jarrett jumping from TNA to WWE.  He’s not anywhere close to the star to justify a sustained main event push and if WWE cared what AEW fans thought they would have handled all these firings and rebranding very differently.  

this is the equivalent of Joker burning money saying it’s about sending a message, but to who?  Other than MJF and Hobbs Cody doesn’t offer much as a snitch to who the current regime would care for. 

2 hours ago, Psychoblue said:

In the end he’s CAW-dy.  He’ll have some early buzz and then go back to where he was before he left. It’d be like Jeff Jarrett jumping from TNA to WWE.  He’s not anywhere close to the star to justify a sustained main event push and if WWE cared what AEW fans thought they would have handled all these firings and rebranding very differently.  

this is the equivalent of Joker burning money saying it’s about sending a message, but to who?  Other than MJF and Hobbs Cody doesn’t offer much as a snitch to who the current regime would care for. 

I hope he knows he's not going to be overbooked like he was in AEW.

I loved the guy in AEW but I was one of the suckers that thought he was building up a heel turn... Only to never do it.

It was such a goddamn blue ball moment. Which means he's ready for WWE.

Just now, scorp said:

I hope he knows he's not going to be overbooked like he was in AEW.

I loved the guy in AEW but I was one of the suckers that thought he was building up a heel turn... Only to never do it.

It was such a goddamn blue ball moment. Which means he's ready for WWE.

As I said, there will be some early buzz but in the end he's CAW-dy.  He won't be Stardust but he'll be back to the Create-A-Wrestler late OVW/early FCW factory second-generation unit he was when was palling around with Ted Jr.    You cannot justify him taking the place of Roman, Brock, D-Mac or Lashley and other than him pulling a Jeff Jarrett and making his own promotion where he conned the money mark until the money mark got bored, you barely have a case for him being in the tier Owens, Rollins, Zayn et al are in.  

Edited by Psychoblue
1 hour ago, Psychoblue said:

As I said, there will be some early buzz but in the end he's CAW-dy.  He won't be Stardust but he'll be back to the Create-A-Wrestler late OVW/early FCW factory second-generation unit he was when was palling around with Ted Jr.    You cannot justify him taking the place of Roman, Brock, D-Mac or Lashley and other than him pulling a Jeff Jarrett and making his own promotion where he conned the money mark until the money mark got bored, you barely have a case for him being in the tier Owens, Rollins, Zayn et al are in.  

The money mark didn't get bored, the money mark had new wrestlers that were actually worth his money.

Imagine thinking you are Cody and should be making Punk/Danielson money. 😂

Just now, scorp said:

The money mark didn't get bored, the money mark had new wrestlers that were actually worth his money.

Imagine thinking you are Cody and should be making Punk/Danielson money. 😂

For how many times AEW fans say that the Khans could buy Vince many times over, Cody was right to feel slighted that he couldn't open up the pocketbook a bit more being how much he's already overpaid talent not worth it!

Just now, Psychoblue said:

For how many times AEW fans say that the Khans could buy Vince many times over, Cody was right to feel slighted that he couldn't open up the pocketbook a bit more being how much he's already overpaid talent not worth it!

Well that's different fans than me.

Being rich doesn't mean you toss your money around willy nilly, you sign Cody to a 3M contract and then you got someone like Keith Lee asking for 2M.

Can't set that precedence. 

Just now, scorp said:

Well that's different fans than me.

Being rich doesn't mean you toss your money around willy nilly, you sign Cody to a 3M contract and then you got someone like Keith Lee asking for 2M.

Can't set that precedence. 

It's also Tony Khan.  You can look at all his other ventures and figure why Cody would have thought he could have pulled one more con job on him.  Cody made the mistake of not getting in buddy buddy with the other EVPs because they wanted him gone for a while.  

1 minute ago, Psychoblue said:

It's also Tony Khan.  You can look at all his other ventures and figure why Cody would have thought he could have pulled one more con job on him.  Cody made the mistake of not getting in buddy buddy with the other EVPs because they wanted him gone for a while.  

I read the Bucks book and he was never super close to them like they were with Kenny.

Good on Cody for trying though, he's given his body like crazy for AEW, so it might be better for him to make more money and have it be a lighter load.

7 minutes ago, scorp said:

I read the Bucks book and he was never super close to them like they were with Kenny.

Good on Cody for trying though, he's given his body like crazy for AEW, so it might be better for him to make more money and have it be a lighter load.

Cody SET HIMSELF ON FIRE for AEW and this is how they do him on the first contract renewal.  I will admit that is screwed up, figured that deserved at least a short contract extension with the asking price if not a 3 year commitment.  

When you put it like that I'll treat it like I treat Nakamura: a guy who has taken all sorts of horrific head and neck bumps working the NJPW style of getting tossed around like a crash dummy, now he gets to make easy six figures strutting to his entrance music, working safer matches, and taking young boy BOOOOGZ under his wing while living in his beach home.