Stage Select

The Street Fighter VI Story Thread: Shadaloo Died so Luke Could Live!

21 minutes ago, biachunli said:

Interesting... The symbol of Neo Shadaloo is an owl with laurel wreath.  A more positive symbolism than the Shadaloo symbol.

There's no laurel wreath there that I can see.  That's just the owl's tailfeathers.

Anyway, if Bosch is any indication, Neo Shadaloo isn't much more positive than OG Shadaloo.

Edited by DarthEnderX

Cool we got much more clean confirmation his symbol now is indeed an owl, on the flag was'nt as clear 👍

Going a bit by reasoning/theory the owl under the thunders logo may be supposed to represent NS will be driven by wisdom (wich i suppose will be JP pretending to be just advisor while telling them what to do)

I think is also first time i notice Neo Shadaloo logo are two thunders overlapped to form N and S, and may be wrong but wanting to find a double meaning seems is also as if the small one is a crack in the big one, as to sybolize Shadaloo's destruction... to pick the reasoning before, as to say "after Shadaloo destruction, Neo Shadaloo will be driven by wisdom"?

At risk of read too much into it, Ed may be the NS thunder (the power), JP the owl (the wisdom)... i like the duality, remind me this recent pic

a214e99c4c8144e04471363f47b35e1d4bf80ed6

If we imagine a Neo Shadaloo where Ed represent power and JP the mind, all the reasoning with @DarthEnderXabout JP giving no fucks about losing fights/being not best at fighting may gain bit more logic and harm bit less JP's figure, because even within the new org he may not be the "top fighter" and cover the role of brain... so lose in a violence contest will not touch his self esteem lol 😁

But i'm not sure Ed is necessary superior to him in 1v1/fighter sense

I mean he can be, Ed was already good fighter before timeskip and had years to improve his PP skills, but something about his design does'nt sell him to me as edgy anime overpowered  char

I think they may bean alliance less based on very individual "power level" and more on a general sense as the union of their inheritance from Shadaloo's collapse

Ed may have the control of men and even more of special individuals, as former shadaloo rejects will follow him but not JP and he may cover a more operative on the field role

JP may have the control of money, as that's straight follow up of his previous role, and he would likely use his mind to set up the strategies

This kind of NS structure would be cool af to me, because while looking an even division at first could reflect A LOT JP's mindset of chess player with himself being the King and Ed the Queen

Looking the chessboard the Queen looks more powerful and dynamic than the King, roam around the field fast wrecking shit helped by other pieces

The King piece feel weaker and does'nt move much, ideally better stay far from the action and be protected

Seen like this Queen looks like best piece, but reality is Queen may die and you can still win the game, the King survival is #1 essential rule of chess

Queen is worth 9 points, being second most valuable piece (Bishop and Knight 3, Rook 5) after the King... but when you think King's points value is essentially "infinite", even 9 points make the Queen just a glorified and still expendable piece

What i would love of this is that JP's "frail" aura is exactly what chess King feels like, it's not necessary weak in terms of powers (can still move/attack in all directions) but any decent piece can threat it

Warning, silly crazy theory shit

May very well be huge mental-fapping on my side, but if they look for that chess thing would be awesome

Going even further

Falke/Knife/Gorilla may even work as the 3 piece types that help the Queen

Falke as Bishop, closest to the Queen and you can use it as "sniper" to hit/cover very long range

Knife as the Knight, have unique mobility and can "jump" over pieces (Knife have teleport)

Gorilla as the Rook, very powerful but specially at begin fat ass piece hard to move (fun fact even higher score than Falke/Knife could make sense for JP, Gorilla would be only able to rival his mind, as he got Bison's intellect)

Normal NS soldiers may be the pawns, they're lot, individually weak and super expendable lol

1 hour ago, DarthEnderX said:

There's no laurel wreath there that I can see.  That's just the owl's tailfeathers.

Anyway, if Bosch is any indication, Neo Shadaloo isn't much more positive than OG Shadaloo.

The laurel wreath:

spacer.png

Owls are symbols of  wisdom. However, I don't doubt Ed makes some bad decisions.

Edited by biachunli
On 10/6/2023 at 3:53 AM, YagamiFire said:

Has ANYONE ever been able to find a scan of Ryu Final in its entirety?

I think that @bakfromonhad it scanned in a (Psycho) Drive. Don't remember if it's the original jpn scan or the english one.

I only got the first volume in english (and a few chapters published on Gamest). The second one isn't easy to find, and when I do it's pretty expensive....

I can do a rundown video of the first volume if you'd like.

On 10/6/2023 at 12:09 PM, Dragonfave723 said:

Ed concepts:

NkK41Se.jpg

spacer.png

He looks awesome! Can't wait for his WT interactions!

2 hours ago, YagamiFire said:

@CESTUS IIIThanks for the advice for K's glove! Got it definitely looking better now!

NGL I had honestly had it totally slip my mind that you can move items.

You're welcome 👍

Remember that you can save not only your K in creation mode, but you can also save in equipment menu up to 10(? iirc) equipment combinations, wich will keep also 3D items with very same positions/size you gave it

Essentially you will be able to do something else with creation and play as different chars, but whenever you want recover your K just as you made it with 2 clicks (1 in editor and 1 n equipment menu)

One more advice i can offer is don't be afraid to make the char look "deformed" without clothes on, multi-layered kind of editors have huge problem with very lean chars (like K can be, specially if designed by some artists), the only thing that really matter to achieve a certain result is final look when all clothes/full costume are on... easy way to make life easier, specially with recreations, is compose the costume first and then model the char with clothes already on, made my work so much easier

18 hours ago, Lord_Vega said:

I think that @bakfromonhad it scanned in a (Psycho) Drive. Don't remember if it's the original jpn scan or the english one.

I do have access to the Japanese edition and I remember posting it a couple times a few years ago. 

I just recently found a fully uploaded English version on the net though😁👍🏾 I know a lot of you never read it in it's entirety so here's your chance. 

Please reply if these links don't work. 

Vol 1

Vol 2

Edited by bakfromon
10 hours ago, CESTUS III said:

One more advice i can offer is don't be afraid to make the char look "deformed" without clothes on, multi-layered kind of editors have huge problem with very lean chars

Yup I specifically made K' in the game to have proportions more appropriate to SF6's art style. So he looks just a bit lanky in game but is still beefier than he is depicted in KOFs usual art style.

3 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I REALLY wish you could save more than 10 looks. It's the main reason I haven't touch character creation lately.

If i could make a wishlist, one point would be have the possibility to save costume preferences stuff in same slot we save the body

That would mean 100 costumes, each linked to a specific created character as the default look for it

5 hours ago, CESTUS III said:

Also would be nice the name showing up near tue health bar to change based on wich saved-avatar we are using 

Does'nt make much sense to me to save Fei Long as "Fei Long" and still see "V.Rosso" as name when i play with it lol

Yeah, I used to changed the name to match my character but that got old fast and caused confusion in the Battle Hub.

29 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Yeah, I used to changed the name to match my character but that got old fast and caused confusion in the Battle Hub.

Eh i could not do that even wanting it

At this point approximately i think i have something like

15-20 SF recreations

5 SFEX recreations

10-15 redesigns/development of unused SF concepts

15-20 totally original characters

5-10 capcom guests or SF NPCs

10? guests

And keep switch between them to update their model or see if some new found piece will improve their costume etc

Within one hour on WTM i probably change char 2-3 times lol

As much seems a chaotic method i realized for me works better than focus on one char each time... many times i find a new gimmick that will be perfect with one, and quickly realize i can use a variant of same trick on 2-3 other models that i did'nt updated for a while

Cool thing is the more i understand SF6 stylization the more last creations have different look than very early ones, so constant rework way somehow manage to update early ones to the level of most recent

On negative side i will maybe never release my "collection" as i ever feel that once i show a char properly (make a YT vid showing a montage of his moveset on a vs with main char in main char stage), two weeks later i will get some new thing that make me improve the char and hate my vid about his/her previous version lol

Even more those that have items perfect for them already in the WTM, but at the moment locked by these capcom cunts lol

These are the worst, i think i have more than half of my creations that are waiting to get stuff already ingame 🥲

Some new bio info regarding a few characters:

A better look at concept arts of Akuma:

iacweMM.jpg

Credit to Ryce for the summary below:

I found some interesting notes on Twitter from a talk that the devs gave at the Capcom vs. Tezuka event. It's all been machine translated from various Twitter/X accounts (including herehere, and here), so it's not perfect.

Jamie
- From the beginning, he was set as Luke's rival character.
- Because the coloring is blue for Luke and red for Kimberly, yellow was chosen for Jamie for the sake of balance, like a Japanese traffic light.
- Alcohol was changed to an energy drink to avoid rating issues.
- Luke is in his late 20s.
- Jamie is two years younger than Luke.
- Once the design has been solidified to a certain extent, it is submitted to the intellectual property department, which checks whether similar characters exist in other companies or other works.
- When it comes to design, Jamie had around 50 to 60 people working on his designs at peak times.
- It took 6 months for Jamie alone, 8 months for Kimberly (about 50 people kept coming up with designs), and 4 months for Marisa. Ryu and Chun-Li started first. Chun-Li took about a year in total this time.

Jamie's background:
- He doesn't get along well with his father, who is a self-made rich man.
- He loves his mother (they went through hardships together).
- His mother is his father's mistress (his wife is deceased).
- He learned to play the trumpet in his childhood.
- During his rough childhood, he dabbled with Chinese gangs and was rescued by Yun and Yang.
- He grew up in Shanghai and moved to America in middle/high school (exact age unclear).
- His mother lives in Hong Kong.

Marisa
- The initial idea was for a male wrestler from Greece.
- Another early idea was for a female mixed martial artist from America.
- These ideas were mixed together.
- The ideas for the woman included a character inspired by Marilyn Monroe.
- Once the direction of the female character was decided, everyone started drawing slim and cute characters, but based on Mr. Nakayama's wishes, the idea of a woman with a larger body was adopted.
- He wanted to go in the direction of a certain American comic character or another company's game character with a muscular and large body.
- The helmet hairstyle was included in several design ideas and was decided upon because it was "interesting!"
- She was initially designed to be Greek, but because there are more players from Italy, it was decided to make her Italian.

What are countries and martial arts you would like to introduce in the future?
- Philippines; there is a strong demand from people with Filipino roots in the American community.
- We would like to introduce Mongolian Sumo and Hopak, but the rules of both are sumo, so it may be tough.

There's a lot more if you dig through those Twitter accounts.

@Dragonfave723thanks super cool info

5 hours ago, Dragonfave723 said:

Marisa
- The initial idea was for a male wrestler from Greece.
- Another early idea was for a female mixed martial artist from America.
- These ideas were mixed together.

Still believe Gina Carano (female mixed martial artist from America) played a role in Marisa's face look

professional-mixed-martial-arts-fighter-tv6fbps2lo5a1.png?width=931&format=png&a

Would not be a first either for SF 3D modellers to take real people as straight look inspiration, see Bob Sapp-Birdie just for quick example

5 hours ago, Dragonfave723 said:

- We would like to introduce Mongolian Sumo and Hopak, but the rules of both are sumo, so it may be tough.

Lol, fun thing two of my original characters are a short but wide af mongolian grappler who's Bokh (mongolian wrestling) rep and one old, baba yaga vibes creepy eastern lady who uses Hopak and Psycho Power

Even got some SF style profiles written as guideline for design (simple stuff, not deep and long as my bro @Darc_Requiem), remember the mongolian guy was so shameless 101% stereotype that while flat/basic af he was one of my fav for the straight SFness of it lol

Remember made him obsessed with mongol heritage, wanting to be best grappler of asia and hating hard on Honda, Hakan and Darun 😆

Hates: Chankonabe, olive oil, curry

Rival: Honda, Hakan, Darun

🤣

Not sure why they included Hopak to have "same rules" of sumo too, Hopak is a dance (with movements that can remember kicks) from cossacks war culture and even counting that thing called "Combat Hopak" still does'nt seem even grappling based

But yes make the mongolian wrestler moveset different from Honda's was kinda tricky, but could nott resist give him Honda's Lv3 lol

Edited by CESTUS III
1 hour ago, YagamiFire said:

Introducing a character from the Philippines would be cool. The natural choice would be making them a practitioner of Arnis/Escrima.

My only problem with it is that i will prefer see this guy back

eagle-cvs2-stance.gif

But if Arnis stick fighter make it and i can use his/her style for Eagle, would be ok with it lol

Would welcome much more a bare-handed Pencak Silat rep, but for that Indonesian or Malaysian is probably better... indeed according to @Miðgarðsormtranslation one of SFV dropped unused concepts was a military/guerrilla style malaysian woman who used Pencak Silat*

Spoiler

how-to-make-capcom-fighting-characters-s

*of course i recreated her in SF6 too🤣

5 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

I've always wanted an Israeli Krav Maga user.

Got one OC of that already made too; female krav maga rep, with 20something israeli woman soldier called Shira who got fashion model look, as that kinda a popular gimmick of IDF internet imagery

Of course current events make something like that impossible on official game cast, but sill

An alternative route to dodge problems would be have Krav Maga not necessary linked to a Israeli char/IDF, for example even with already existing char i would love if C.VIPER to get Krav Maga as martial art(wich she combines with gadgets)

We never had clear hint on her fighting style, and Krav Maga is apparently one of the possible styles teached to some CIA agents

Example one kinda popular KM figure is a former CIA agent

5 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

But ff they were planning such a thing...it's probably been put back in the freezer...

Just like JP no longer being Russian.

Not sure JP as russian got censored, i believe russian was just the declared nationality for his Johan Petrovich mask... just like probably he pretended to be french/belgian when acting as Jean Philippe

Is possible Capcom toned down it omitting where Petrovich is supposed to come from, but after all was still just a mask and we don't know actual JP origins

Another possibility is that they straight completely made up the whole multiple alias thing as trick to dodge him being just russian

But tbh i believe first case, SF just love to give people with mysterious past/identity strange names made of letters (JP, G, Q, F.A.N.G., A.K.I.) to keep the mystery going on

Edited by CESTUS III
5 hours ago, CESTUS III said:

But tbh i believe first case, SF just love to give people with mysterious past/identity strange names made of letters (JP, G, Q, F.A.N.G., A.K.I.) to keep the mystery going on

I might buy that, if the image of him with the Russian flag hadn't been leaked concept art, not intended for public consumption.

That suggests to me that, earlier in development, he was intended to be Russian.  But by launch, he no longer was.  The alternating personas seems like it was added later.

6 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

I might buy that, if the image of him with the Russian flag hadn't been leaked concept art, not intended for public consumption.

That suggests to me that, earlier in development, he was intended to be Russian.  But by launch, he no longer was.  The alternating personas seems like it was added later.

Yeah, that may support that was their initial intention, may add @Miðgarðsormfound JP being based o a movie russian villain (even if that may apply to Joah Petrovich alias*)

WFrom same picture we also got Lily who gone through self-censorship, as somebody probably suggested that her original design (imho better) you can see in same page was probably too anachronistic/stereotype and at risk of become target of outrage police

Last difference i can see is Akuma having usual red hair (now is white), but that obviously have nothing to do with self-censorship and likely just been made in order to have default look showing  still big age gap with Ryu after timeskip

Make also sense, considering in SF3TS we had an hint of AKuma's hair color starting to change already and that was years before SF&

*IF multiple names was in their idea from begin wonder if "Jean Philippe" would also look very different, or just be same JP we see signing with another name

5 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

@CESTUS IIII can imagine JP sitting at his desk picking various alias for whatever country he's in.

Brazil: Jonas Petry

Canada: Jean Pétrégne

China: Jo-Hsi Peng

Italy: Jacopo Petrucci

Japan: Jisho Paku

Korea: Joon Ho Paek

Spain: Juan Prohens

USA: John Peters

🙃

I'm starting to think he may also be the nigerian Prince asking everybody for money via email lol

On 10/12/2023 at 9:12 PM, Darc_Requiem said:

Anyone know how to reach @Daemosoutside of the forum? I really concerned that something has happened to him at this point. 😔

I tried to track Daemos and mentioned on discord in megashock channel but he didn't answer.

I did that a month ago.😕

Hopefully his just giving some personal time and having vacation

@Darc_Requiem

Found something that may hint new feature of future WTM expansion and explain why hair options sucks so much lol

In Beat Square, main place of MC and where we have Body Editor and first/main clothes store, just between them there's an hair cuts salon (atm not possible to interact with)

The interesting part is the placement imho, because it's essentially between the two current editor/avatar places of the square

wtm.jpg

Guess we will end up pay for cooler, unique haircuts just like we pay clothes in beat square

Or maybe you pay haircut just once and it get added on editor

Only "normal" npc haircut i can think as currently missing from creation mode is sumo guys in Urban Park area (those at Honda's place with "chonmage" haircut)

Wonder if we will get more unique NPC haircuts too, in that case list would include

Carlos

DamnD

Rudra

Eternity

Fang (+ unique beard too)

Azam (+ unique beard too)

I'm intentionally leaving out Bosch, because imho does'nt feel made with editor tool and base, and may have different destiny as main cast stuff

Btw would be fun get also haircuts of main cast lol... actually even better would be get ones of former main cast that will NOT return

Curiously no female NPC so far seems to have unique haircut... possibly Alice have slighty modified version of an existing one, but the few others have normal editor ones

Now that i think about it also the strong sumo lady may have unique hair, but not sure if is same chonmage i mentioned for some Honda's dudes

PS:  just discovered even Bosch have full name: Bosch Waraya

Waraya apparently in real world it's very rare surname, but clean majority of these few is in Indonesia

That's a second hint of Bosch being inspired name wise to Indonesia... i know it's surely first a wink to BoF char and SF6 Bosch is from Nayshall, but "Bosch" beig dutch name in s-e asia link to Indonesia too

So somehow both name and surname may make sense in Indonesia

Just make Bosch Pencak Silat rep damn it LOL

PPS: in front that hair salon we get  also this red gi karateka guy with stand full of wood barrels, guess in future there we may get variant of

barrels_background.png

Edited by CESTUS III

Why?  So you can have a dead Pencak Silat user?

Pencak Silat thing* was half joke lol (half because i would still take PS over made up generic style)

Btw don't believe he's dead dead, this is SF

So i think we will see him again, maybe even as main cast new char (mostly because -i may be wrong but- as body he seem only NPC who's not been built as "a NPC" using SF6 editor tool as base)

Iirc we also have a line from Yua (his sister) who refuse to believe he's dead... of course is normal thing to say for a young girl who just lost her brother, but you know how that shit goes in anime lol

*give us SFV malaysian female Pencak Silat concept pls

Anyway, he's pretty established by the story.  He's Nayshallese. 

I know, said myself canon wise he's from Nayshall lol

And to add even more mess to make up the "Nayshall" culture as clothes capcom also used visual links to Bhutan... and on general Nayshall people as a whole dress lot like Bhutan, just scrolling these images you'll find lot familiar (due WTM Nayshall) stuff

https://www.google.it/search?sca_esv=574223418&q=bhutan+traditional+clothing&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiJlezN-f2BAxWb_7sIHWXJA8gQ0pQJegQICBAB&biw=1536&bih=703&dpr=1.25

Bosch attire on particular have some details straight from there definitely, pretty sure back to SF6 launch posted the pics

But still found interesting that both name and surname have potential link to Indonesia (wich does'nt mean in any way Indonesia have any canon relevance, just that devs may have wanted some vibes from there)... even if to be completely honest while one source said it's most common in Indonesia, another said Pakistan

One interesting thing is Waraya apparently have some possible meanings in japanese too, and one or more seems particular fitting to Bosch story arc;

(copy-pasted)

藁谷- Waraya -

means "straw."

• Withering - The process of a tree becoming dry and brittle.

• Draft - A preliminary version of a written document.

means "valley, ravine."

• Valley - A depression between two mountains.

• Path - A road or path.

• Reach a Limit - To reach a point of no return.

• Nurture - To raise and care for.

These three i've put in red feel like describe a lot Bosch's WTM run

Guess they liked the idea of pick surname that have a fitting meaning for them japanese but can work also as "different part of Asia" for that confused concept that is Nayshall

And uses the Nashall martial art.

That's tricky

Despite having his own personal stance since first time we meet him, we see Bosch showcasing his unique fightstyle only after he got infused with Psycho Power

And that fight style does'nt resemble the one used by any other nayshallese fighter we seen, interesting thing is only other char to share it, Fou-Lu* does'nt seem to be nayshallese (he's actually another BoF NPC "guest")

So far make it kinda hint that Bosch  may have learned these techniques at same Neo Shadaloo place where he got infused with Psycho Power

This based on ingame events, but going bit by logic we can assume his PP style is a fusion of his previous martial art knowledge with the new powers... so some of the elbows/shoulder/kick strikes we see may indeed come from what he already knew and be stuff he used to do before the MC MMA training under Luke

Another thing to suggest Bosch could have been already decent (not great as we see in WTM) in some Nayshall traditional martial art is that his red robe as chara design seems to identify him as martial art monk

Btw would like get a non-PP version of him, even if we will ever get him 99% will keep PP lol

*Fou-Lu is another SF6 NPC who got named after BoF character, wich share also same look

5b6b1a995da90cf6e7a3a4d7d6537ecb.png

Fun thing after defeating him in SF6 Fou-Lu will tell us we will meet again and we will see his "complete form" or something like that... this made some (myself included) speculate about potential future WTM development, but may just be a reference to BoF character lore, who concept wise is literally half of what should be as he's been summoned in a wrong way and he's an incomplete entity who wish to merge with his other half (game protagonist) to reach his complete form and wreck shit

Wonder if they plan to keep play on that and make us fight him again in future lol

Nice detail, even the place (at night time) where we can fight WTM Fou-Lu remind also the one where BoF Fou-Lu awaken in very first scene of this vid

Edited by CESTUS III

I suppose in the sense that anyone can be brought back, sure.

But it's hard to get much deader than being Uncle Owen'd.  And nobody that has the means to bring him back would have any reason to.

Idk to me feels strange after Nayshall Arena events Capcom insist with Yua saying this after you tell her he's dead

yua-speech.jpg

In particular "the worst thing in the world could happen to him, and he'd still find a way to come back" line feel like hard anime foreshadowing to me lol

Also the fact you can't offer her a proof to give her at least some closure (like at least a funeral) make me guess the body somehow has gone missing, yet we know it was'nt completely destroyed by the explosion, as was basicallys still completely "intact", only darkened a with smoke steaming out of it

As for who could have the means, i think we have a clear candidate: Ed.

Let's say NS recovered the body and Ed at some point of his SF6 story arc split from JP (likely realizing he tricked him and his friends with fake promises into work for him) and JP is defeated for good, a potential way good-guy-Ed could repair some of the damage they did to Nayshall would be use NS resources to get Bosch back and fullfill Yua's dream, with her brother making Nayshall a better place

Another possibility is that body was'nt taken by NS members (who had reason to be there), but by Illuminati... we all seen the strange coincidence of Nayshall Arena having Gill's colors after all.

Maybe NS messed up a country wich was already under Illuminati influence and they may want to get it back ASF style, pulling a ZombieNash2.0 with Bosch

But tbh would much prefer first theory (Ed/NS redemption), as beside will like to avoid the repetition of Nash/Illuminati thing, i believe Ed and friends fixing the damage they did under JP's guide would be cooler story development

6 hours ago, CESTUS III said:

Another possibility is that body was'nt taken by NS members (who had reason to be there), but by Illuminati... we all seen the strange coincidence of Nayshall Arena having Gill's colors after all.

Yeah, but, why would they bother?  It's not like Bosch was a particularly impressive specimen.  You kick his ass repeatedly.

Like, bringing back Nash to use as a weapon made sense.  Nash was a huge badass.  Bosch is just kind of a failed experiment.

8 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

Yeah, but, why would they bother?  It's not like Bosch was a particularly impressive specimen.  You kick his ass repeatedly.

Like, bringing back Nash to use as a weapon made sense.  Nash was a huge badass.  Bosch is just kind of a failed experiment.

That's a fair point, i was mostly thinking how Nash and Bosch solitary tragic run against Bison and JP felt very alike... did'nt considered much the "power level" side

Guess one more reason to consider ED/NS doing it a more desirable and meaningful outcome

Eh tbh there is'nt much new to discuss... unless we count fighting pass ending soon and new one follow up soon after

Next big new is Ed in 2024 lol

For what's worth story/speculation wise, next update (Ed) we will likely find the last three pieces of NS uniform (jacket, pants, boots) and imho use it to infiltrate into NS pretending to be a member

But again, very far sadly

Hope they're planning some big DLC wave to break the wait, to begin with we're still waiting main cast new costumes update