Stage Select

The Street Fighter VI Story Thread: Shadaloo Died so Luke Could Live!

5 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

@CESTUS IIIWoudln't it be Testarossa? 😉

Not for hair, here was ideed used just as specific name for that Ferrari car wich  -i just googled, because got me curious- got that name from another older model of race car wich was called Testa Rossa

We don't use a straight translation of english "redhead", in colloquial way girl may be simply refered as a "rossa" without add the head/testa part, or if she's being described say she have capelli rossi (red hairs)

Closest may be use "testa di capelli" (not even sure if is used in whole Italy) but is usually used not much for the color but to indicate the person have many/thick hairs (and likely long too) making it some sort of impressive trait and the testa/head is used to indicate that (kinda like you would use "full head of hair" i think), so maybe Disney's Merida with her crazy hair could be described as having a gran testa di capelli rossi (such full head of red hair) but at same time some redhead guy with thin or balding shit going on would never described in same way (would even seem make fun of him lol)

@CESTUS IIII was joking man. That's why used the "wink". I know some American's think they know better than native speakers of a language. I'm just not one of them. My Vincenzo concept only turned out as well as it did because of your input 👍🏾

Side Note: Plus this just gave me an excuse to post an image of a Ferrari Testarossa. I loved that car's design as a kid. That and the Lamborghini Countach were my favorite exotics growing up. 

Edited by Darc_Requiem

I like how many SF6 characters are getting last names.  I wish they'd go back and give older characters last names where it makes sense.

19 hours ago, ShockDingo said:

Sounds pretty similar to JP's theme at first, but starts to pop off at 1:20.

Edited by DarthEnderX
3 hours ago, YagamiFire said:

I just want to say that after seeing MK1 spoilers...

We here in this thread should feel absolutely blessed to an unprecedented level.

What a disaster.

Taking a look at the spoilers myself I must say NRS has the worst, most scummy, DLC policy in the fighting game scene. What a fucking trainwreck. 

I really hope this game's DLC fails bad. I have a feeling three guests in one pack is really not going to meet the expectations they have for it, but I hope people get pissed off when they see the story and speak out against the bullshit.

Mild spoilers

Spoiler

Apparently the main villains will be Shang Tsung and Quan fucking Chi, with Ermac also playing a pretty important role in the story. All while these characters are fucking DLC. 

Street Fighter X Tekken was crucified for less than what NRS has been pulling with Mortal Kombat in 11 and 1, which doesn't seem to be pulling any breaks on scummy shit.

It's really sad. I'm pretty sure its mandated by WB higher-ups, as I think that actual NRS guys are fine. Or at least, I hope so.

On 9/8/2023 at 10:17 AM, YagamiFire said:

LOL that art is so great.

SF6 seriously elevated Retsu to a crazy level in my book. Awesome characterization of him.

Loved they got him back, just wish they bothered bit more trying to give him bit more unique moveset... they gave him unique stance and unique special kick, but after that they just gave him Ryu normals... would have liked if they did bit more, even just steal from rest of the cast, like Honda's LP palm or some Chun Li stuff, some kicks and her back throw would look cool on Retsu to sell the Shorinji Kempo vibes

On general i truly love they gave a chance to shine to Retsu and even more obscure SF lore martial artists like Kenichi or Somsak... but i just wish they did more to make them feel actual characters

Azam and Carlos are probably the best ones in terms of effort

ps: i also wish WTM tournaments had more respect for them rather than just mix them with shitty clones and generic metro city people lol

I'm ok with former bosses like DamnD (or now Rudra) or even semi-bosses like Andores to be dropped there too, but the stadium tournament truly add the most generic shit lmao

On 9/8/2023 at 3:21 PM, Darc_Requiem said:

@CESTUS IIII was joking man. That's why used the "wink". I know some American's think they know better than native speakers of a language. I'm just not one of them. My Vincenzo concept only turned out as well as it did because of your input 👍🏾

I know you're cool dude 😁

But thought could have been a legit assumption/mistake as Testarossa sounds so similar to english redhead, that a foreigner could have made that reasoning 👍

5 hours ago, ShockDingo said:

Yikes about MK. The trailers seemed cool, what'd they do to drop the ball?

Two of DLC characters from the first Kombat Pack are featured prominently in the Story mode. That's not including pre-order bonus Shang Tsung who that applies to as well. It would be like if World Tour Mode had Rashid, A.K.I., and Ed prominently featured in SF6.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
1 hour ago, ShockDingo said:

Yikes about MK. The trailers seemed cool, what'd they do to drop the ball?

Outside of making the bad guys preorder and DLC as it already mentioned, it also

Spoiler

This is actually major spoilers for the MK1 story so turn back now.

Spoiler

Becomes a multiverse story. The main bad guy is Titan Shang Tsung, the same Shang Tsung that won if you choose him for the final fight in MK11 aftermath. The story then takes a hard swerve in trying to stop him, making a lot of the new iterations of kharacters irrelevant over to focus on multiverse shit. This also means instead of the game being a straight up reboot like they claimed, it’s a straight up sequel to MK11.

21 hours ago, Dracu said:

Mild spoilers

Reveal hidden contents

Apparently the main villains will be Shang Tsung and Quan fucking Chi, with Ermac also playing a pretty important role in the story. All while these characters are fucking DLC. 

Street Fighter X Tekken was crucified for less than what NRS has been pulling with Mortal Kombat in 11 and 1, which doesn't seem to be pulling any breaks on scummy shit.

That doesn't seem much different than when...

Spoiler

...A Shadow Falls contained a bunch of unreleased DLC characters.  Other than, I guess, their prominence in the story.

But that's nothing new for modern MK games.  They all follow the same structure where, like, every hero character gets a single chapter where you play as them, and you never really play as the villains at all in the story mode.  So the fact that you can't in MK1 just feels like business as usual.

13 hours ago, BornWinner said:

Outside of making the bad guys preorder and DLC as it already mentioned, it also

Hide contents

Hide contents

Becomes a multiverse story. The main bad guy is Titan Shang Tsung, the same Shang Tsung that won if you choose him for the final fight in MK11 aftermath. The story then takes a hard swerve in trying to stop him, making a lot of the new iterations of kharacters irrelevant over to focus on multiverse shit. This also means instead of the game being a straight up reboot like they claimed, it’s a straight up sequel to MK11.

This...also doesn't seem unreasonable.

Spoiler

MK11 ended with the players choice of 2 possible endings.  And MK11 was already a multiversal story.

So making MK1 a story about ending 1 reality vs. ending 2 reality seems like a viable direction to take the story.

15 hours ago, CESTUS III said:

Loved they got him back, just wish they bothered bit more trying to give him bit more unique moveset... they gave him unique stance and unique special kick, but after that they just gave him Ryu normals...

Azam and Carlos are probably the best ones in terms of effort

I don't really see how Carlos and Azam are any better than Retsu.  They also each only have, like, one unique move.   Carlos has his sword combo, and Azam has his throw.  Granted, those are more impressive looking than Retsu's unique kick, but that kick IS his special move in SF1.

Edited by DarthEnderX

For me Its better to have a simple, short and generic story than a complicated story and a worst one.

For me a fighting game story should just need to tie loose end, have payoff and makes everyone available in the next sequel which mean keep them ALIVE.

Doesnt need to increase the stake every new game. And doesn't need to make a new more powerfull new villain every new game.

Doesn't need every roster part of the storymode or doesn't need to be given a unnessary role just to have a role to appear in a story. 

The better way to make a cameo and a role is by making them a teaser for future storymode in sequel games.

Alex role in cinematic mode was SFV meh and forced unlike Sean role in cinematic mode of SFV that has sense. 

Edited by Shakunetsu
2 hours ago, BornWinner said:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

So it's just like how SF6 was supposed to be about the "new generation"  but then they turn around and make Ken the main character?

5 hours ago, BootyWarrior said:

So it's just like how SF6 was supposed to be about the "new generation"  but then they turn around and make Ken the main character?

SF6 doesn't really have a main character. They gave everyone their own stories that you experience through your avatar. Ken's whole situation with JP was resolved before SF6. Ken's just too ashamed to go home. As it was pointed to me. You run into Mel in Word Tour and he's much older (4 or 5 years IIRC) than he was in SF6 comic done before the games release.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

SF6 doesn't really have a main character. They gave everyone their own stories that you experience through your avatar. Ken's whole situation with JP was resolved before SF6. Ken's just too ashamed to go home. As it was pointe to me. You run into Mel in Word Tour and he's much older (4 or 5 years IIRC) than he was in SF6 comic done before the games release.

Luke is literally stated to be the main character of SF6. He ties to Ken's story and is the avatars main teacher. The games functional story is still focused on Ken playing the main victim against the antagonist. 

From what the prelude comic portrays it should be the proverbial passing of the torch when Ken beats Luke. 

3 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

I don't really see how Carlos and Azam are any better than Retsu.  They also each only have, like, one unique move.   Carlos has his sword combo, and Azam has his throw.  Granted, those are more impressive looking than Retsu's unique kick, but that kick IS his special move in SF1.

Not by huge margin, but yes, Carlos and Azam have slighty more effort going on, Carlos in particular

- Carlos have unique pose, 1 unique special, his normals moveset is made un specifically picked up normals from various main cast characters AND from NPC moveset (1 of wich, works essentially as special) creating an unique mix

- Azam have 1 unique special (as you say very complex one at that), 1 Rashid special wich also have 3 different follow ups, and Zangief normals moveset

- Retsu have unique pose, 1 unique special and Ryu normals moveset

Without need to make up brand new specials (wich i would appreciate), for Retsu would have liked if they gone similar route to Carlos and just picked some character's single normals to recreate a bit his SF1 moveset, instead just give him Ryu's normals and call it a day

Even just changing few normals would have breaked the feel it's just copy-pasted Ryu , beside pose and one special kick

Retsu still is better than most NPCs, just wish they went less lazy on him as fight Carlos/Azam sells better you're facing unique characters

PS: one thing Retsu have over Azam is unique pose, wish they gave him one

2 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

The main character of SF6 is:
avs5.jpg.db3d184d5bb26c18808dd415ef7864c

Agree

-can master different martial arts to create his own style

-is still in the US after his last mission of find C.Jack

-girls can't stop text him

-he's humble and accept a beating for comedy effect

-pretend to be not to good to not hurt masters feelings, but they recognize his talent

-people ask him help for detective stuff

Props to Capcom to find a way to make basically a SF about V.Rosso despite the tragedy Arika owns the rights

52 minutes ago, YagamiFire said:

I have now been subjected to almost all of MK1 and its spoilers.

We are so lucky, folks. SO LUCKY.

As a big MK fan, this is an abomination the likes of which I could not have conceived of. I am floored.

Yeah that actually had a potential. Even after the true villain was revealed, it still could have turned out okay but then they went....

Spoiler

full multiverse. They went so deep into it that makes the stakes completely inconsequential. Something that was already an issue in MK was cranked up to 11. I was fine with "both" endings of MK11 happening if the result was Liu Kang and Shang Tsung settling things once and for all. 

The only potential cool thing I see is...

Spoiler

There may be a create a character function like Armageddon. The final part of story mode seems to heavily hint at it and as far as I know the 24th character slot has yet to be explained.

On 9/8/2023 at 8:12 PM, DarthEnderX said:

I like how many SF6 characters are getting last names.  I wish they'd go back and give older characters last names where it makes sense.

This post made me want try dig a bit in teh internet

Did bit of "research" for the lulz, If they want to add some surnames canonizing existing stuff like they did in the past, here’s some potential material they could use

RYU

The silly 90’s movie gave us Ryu Hoshi, while Street Fighter Legacy (same people of SF Assassin’s Fist) made up Ryu Takashi… from what i understand reading online not only was named like that after his creator Takashi Nishiyama but there’s also some gimmick going on (i copy-paste from teh internet):

the symbol for the first Chinese character used to spell Nishiyama's name "Takashi(隆志)" can also be pronounced "Ryu()"

Personally would like Ryu Takashi more, sounds badass lol

There’s even a third possible name:

“In the Japanese version of the Capcom arcade quiz game Quiz and Dragons, Ryu's full name is given as Ryu Takegami (武神 Takegami Ryū?), though this has never been referenced in any other media and it is unlikely Capcom considers this his full name officially.”

But tbh should be used as very obscure info about something rarely used (like on situations that require documents), as being an orphan with unknown biological father would refer himself just as “Ryu”

CHUN LI

Personally would be perfectly ok with them giving her the 90s movie Chun Li Zhang tbh, super common surname that does’nt disturb much

ZANGIEF

Would be fun if they dig back till char prototype phase when he was named “Vodka Gobalsky” lol

Guess not Zangief Gobalsky as i think Zangief is supposed to be a surname i think (being wrestler Victor Zangiev the name inspiration), unless they want consider it his first name

Would like if they somehow use Gobalsky as link to Goda from HnK (did’nt remembered was named like that, just found it while doing bit search) the char that inspired his look/bear theme

VEGA (Claw)

We got Vega Fabio La Cerda from SF2V anime, to some extent would even solve the JAP/USA name problem of four kings a bit, as they used it the same in japanese version, essentially Balrog Fabio La Cerda

Only problem i would have with it is that "Vega" in spanish would work as surname, sure not as first name… in fact castilian spanish version changed the name into Fabio Antonio de la Vega… beside changing shit a lot, i like they moved “Vega” last

No idea why they dropped Antonio there totally made up, have more idea why they removed La Cerda: apparently La Cerda was(is?) a real life existing aristocratic spanish family

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_la_Cerda

and the according to wiki ( i don’t remember it) the anime even state that Vega, bloodlusted psychopathic murderer, belong to that family lol

End up find a solution for it may be harder than expected… maybe they could just go for something like Fabio de la Vega? (even if “Fabio” sounds so italian to me lol but still)

But would be too short as spaniards have two surnames (and often two names)… so if we want ignore problems related to “La Cerda” in Spain, possible best could be Fabio La Cerda Vega

BALROG (Boxer)

M.Bison as Mike Bison would be perfect, even more if was same Mike of SF1

But SFV destroyed all that confirming Mike as his own character beyond any doubt lol

Tbh would love if was possible just ignore SF1’s Mike, and go for Mike Balrog, but again SFV hate it lol

No idea lol

SAGAT

The 90s movie gave us Victor Sagat, but tbh would hate if get canonized lol

Guess they could use manga character and real life thai fighters he was inspired on, but we never got anything

BLANKA

Only legit point to start is we know Jimmy is his true name and Blanka a nickname , surname is only piece missing

Maybe they can recycle “Carlos” as second name from 90s movie, like Jimmy Carlos + surname(s)

Fun thing during this internet tour end up find a fan vid of 2011, a fan-made short about Balrog that may give us the origin  of Luke SULLIVAN surname

Not sure if has ever been mentioned here, but here it is this blond american guy called Sullivan about to fight Balrog lol

Screenshot-2023-09-12-045402.png

Even the look is a bit Lukesque lol

Also the thing of see Balrog fight a younger blond boxer with slighty long hair in a ring gave me Rog/Ed SFV ending, but this may be much more a coincidence lol

Balrog%20-%20Behind%20the%20Glory_000027

hqdefault.jpg

For who never seen it (i was one) here's the whole thing btw

50 minutes ago, CESTUS III said:

The silly 90’s movie gave us Ryu Hoshi, while Street Fighter Legacy (same people of SF Assassin’s Fist) made up Ryu Takashi… from what i understand reading online not only was named like that after his creator Takashi Nishiyama but there’s also some gimmick going on (i copy-paste from teh internet):

I have no problem with Ryu not having a last name.  He's an orphan after all.  And while Gouken raised him, I doubt he filled out any adoption paperwork that would have given him a last name.

54 minutes ago, CESTUS III said:

M.Bison as Mike Bison would be perfect, even more if was same Mike of SF1

But SFV destroyed all that confirming Mike as his own character beyond any doubt lol

Tbh would love if was possible just ignore SF1’s Mike, and go for Mike Balrog, but again SFV hate it lol

No idea lol

Pretty sure Mike Bison canonically IS his name in Japan.

And yeah, 100% support retconning SF1 Mike out of existence.  I refuse to entertain the notion that Mike, the African-American boxer who was banned for excessive violence, and Mike Bison, the African-American boxer who was banned for excessive violence, are two separate characters.

4 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

I have no problem with Ryu not having a last name.  He's an orphan after all.  And while Gouken raised him, I doubt he filled out any adoption paperwork that would have given him a last name.

Would agree Ryu does'nt need it, and that he probably think at himself just as "Ryu" due the orphan thing

But we got also Capcom trying to tell us only because we never see Ryu do modern word shit he's not some sort of hermit but does normal life things, like work (bunch of different jobs), having a -hinted to be huge- bank account*, legit house address, and have all the papers/passports to travel and fly around the world

Under canon world building perspective make sense even just on his documents there's a surname (either Gouken's or one Ryu made up) for bureaucratic reasons... then sure, for other things like tournament announcer asking him wich name+surname he should say, Ryu would surely reply "just call me Ryu"

*thanks to Ken managing his money his money

Pretty sure Mike Bison canonically IS his name in Japan.

Yeah, i was saying would like it in western version too... actually i would like there will be no "western version", but only one single unified one

My ideal world would use time machine to have universal

• M.Bison (Mike) for boxer, with Balrog being his ring nickname... think Mike "Balrog" Bison, just like Micheal "Iron Mike" Tyson. The two names could actually have coexisted even if the west chosen to use "Balrog", just having Mike Bison as not used but canon real name.
  • Vega for claw... regardless of original name picks, Vega is 100% best for spanish matador lol
  • Lord "InsertNewName" for dictator

Also the Gouki vs Akuma bullshit make no sense, both east AND west should be

• Gouki = first name
  • Akuma (devil) = nickname used in world of martial arts that started to exist after SnH gave him the demon-like look

Akuma as legit real name make zero sense, while being called like that (specially from those that never knew him personally before SnH) make plenty of sense

And yeah, 100% support retconning SF1 Mike out of existence.  I refuse to entertain the notion that Mike, the African-American boxer who was banned for excessive violence, and Mike Bison, the African-American boxer who was banned for excessive violence, are two separate characters.

Yeah, beside being retarded, we even got even Tyson himself said he have no problems with SFboxer being based on him and find it amusing, so name similarity should be last of their concerns

Plus i would like the idea Boxer was in SF1, as would mean Dictator took not one but two of his generals from there... the Sagat link between SF1 and SF2 is ever been cool to me

To some extent even Claw could have been linked to SF1 as we know he interacted with Geki

Is already canon Geki beated up Claw

Is already canon hinted Geki got killed in asia

Tbh would love if they just reveal Claw murdered Geki as retaliation for their first fight (like, if first fight left even the slightest mark on Claw's face, murder is only

If all that that was a thing Bison would have selected his generals picking two SF1ers (including the former king) and one that murdered a SF1er... would be cool and enforce the idea he chosen his minions between some of the best of that (SF1) generation, creating this whole vibes he was lurking as a shadow over SF1 events

5 hours ago, CESTUS III said:

My ideal world would use time machine to have universal

• M.Bison (Mike) for boxer, with Balrog being his ring nickname... think Mike "Balrog" Bison, just like Micheal "Iron Mike" Tyson. The two names could actually have coexisted even if the west chosen to use "Balrog", just having Mike Bison as not used but canon real name.
  • Vega for claw... regardless of original name picks, Vega is 100% best for spanish matador lol
  • Lord "InsertNewName" for dictator

If I had an actual time machine:

Boxer would have been called Bison.  Because he's a big strong thug.

Claw would be called Vega, cause it's a Spanish name.

Dictator would be called Balrog, because he's a demon of shadow and flame.

Also the Gouki vs Akuma bullshit make no sense, both east AND west should be

• Gouki = first name
  • Akuma (devil) = nickname used in world of martial arts that started to exist after SnH gave him the demon-like look

Akuma no Gouki (JA)

Gouki the Demon (NA)

To some extent even Claw could have been linked to SF1 as we know he interacted with Geki

Is already canon Geki beated up Claw

Is already canon hinted Geki got killed in asia

Tbh would love if they just reveal Claw murdered Geki as retaliation for their first fight (like, if first fight left even the slightest mark on Claw's face, murder is only

I want them to retcon it so Geki was Zeku in his young disguise.  He just wanted to enter the tournament anonymously.  And people think he's dead because he abandoned the persona.

On 9/6/2023 at 5:39 PM, YagamiFire said:

This is some legit brain-rot from BigMex.

Chun-Li, Ibuki, Karin, Maki, Makoto, Mika, Sakura...

These are all female Asian characters and none of them are villains. 'Doubling down' on 'Asian female that is a villain' being a...what? A negative stereotype of the "Chinese villain trope"? Are you actually for real? Juri isn't even Chinese so how the hell is it even a 'double down'? Also, is it even then POSSIBLE to make a Chinese villain without this somehow fulfilling some 'negative trope'? It's an absurd statement on the face of it because it completely eliminates an entire ethnicity from being villainous...in a series where the most prominent HERO is also from the same area (and specifically the same country)...and she happens to be the most prominent and influential female in the entire medium.

Dude has a lot of good takes...this one however is dumpster-tier.

I was wondering why my blog was getting a bump in views, I had to look at the sources, and found out about MegaShock. Thanks for the feedback. I do have the brain rot. Been staring at screens for a long time, and not touching enough grass. I like playing both sides of the argument in my writing, using my inner Tucker Carlson to say "I'm just asking questions" it helps stir some people up while at the same time taking a strong stance against characters I don't like. I don't care for A.K.I. but I don't hate her nearly as much as I hate F.A.N.G. or Rufus. Back in 2015 I did a two-parter on the roots of F.A.N.G. like many on the boards here I talked about Kung-Fu Hustle, and other design elements the character featured. I start part 2 with the most over-the-top hate for the character; " He is an ugly character, a mockery of Chinese martial arts systems. He doesn't really belong in the Street Fighter series but the powers that be have decided to give him a go anyway." 

But then I get to the heart of the issue in the same paragraph; 

"The reality is that Western writers, artists, actors, directors and producers have been doing a greater disservice to Asian characters than any Japanese developer ever could. It is the ugly truth. Audiences from the west fail to acknowledge what we have done culturally to Asians over the past century."

Sorry if my tone or intent didn't come through with the A.K.I. blog. The only way to improve is to listen to what other people think about her. Thanks to the people that have been linking to my series, thanks to DarthEnderX for going to bat for me. It's okay for people not to like my run on sentences, and slanted bullshit. Y'all keep playing your favs, and doing what you love. I'll do the same.

- Noe V. aka BigMex

My F.A.N.G. rant part 1.  https://streetwriterpodcast.blogspot.com/2015/12/what-is-going-on-with-street-fighter-v.html

My F.A.N.G. rant part 2. https://streetwriterpodcast.blogspot.com/2015/12/what-is-going-on-with-street-fighter-v_11.html

20 hours ago, CESTUS III said:

In the Japanese version of the Capcom arcade quiz game Quiz and Dragons, Ryu's full name is given as Ryu Takegami (武神 Takegami Ryū?), though this has never been referenced in any other media and it is unlikely Capcom considers this his full name officially.”

Of course it hasn't, it's BASED ON A WORDPLAY.

武神 Takegami (god of martial arts) can also be read as Bushin. Bushin ryū. They basically used 隆 Ryū (his name) instead of 流 ryū "style"...

Would be fun if they dig back till char prototype phase when he was named “Vodka Gobalsky” lol

It wouldn't.

Guess not Zangief Gobalsky as i think Zangief is supposed to be a surname i think (being wrestler Victor Zangiev the name inspiration), unless they want consider it his first name

Would like if they somehow use Gobalsky as link to Goda from HnK (did’nt remembered was named like that, just found it while doing bit search) the char that inspired his look/bear theme

Gobalsky wasn't a link to HnK's Gōda; rather, it was to Sakigake! Otokojuku's シベリアのゴバルスキー Shiberia no Gobaruskī, "Gobalsky from Siberia". He fought with his wolves and was a cowardly villain who then reformed after his defeat and became a comic relief when he enrolled in the Otokojuku.
o0712075114332495379.jpg

Gobalsky himself was a parody of the boss/father of the Kiba clan in HnK,

r1280x720l?key=d7ba280a0030a22640746954e

who could turn his body into steel. Gōda could have influenced Zangief, but definitely not with his name.

No idea why they dropped Antonio there totally made up, have more idea why they removed La Cerda: apparently La Cerda was(is?) a real life existing aristocratic spanish family

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_la_Cerda

and the according to wiki ( i don’t remember it) the anime even state that Vega, bloodlusted psychopathic murderer, belong to that family lol

Well, it's more complicated than that.
Cerdo in Spanish means "dirty", "slob", "pig". Its feminine form cerda also means... yeah, "slut".
Imagine a good Vulcano Rosso la Troia. Doesn't sound so good anymore, doesn't it? 🤣

Edited by Miðgarðsorm
31 minutes ago, Miðgarðsorm said:

Gobalsky wasn't a link to HnK's Gōda; rather, it was to Sakigake! Otokojuku's シベリアのゴバルスキー Shiberia no Gobaruskī, "Gobalsky from Siberia". He fought with his wolves and was a cowardly villain who then reformed after his defeat and became a comic relief when he enrolled in the Otokojuku.

o0712075114332495379.jpg

Gobalsky himself was a parody of the boss/father of the Kiba clan in HnK,

r1280x720l?key=d7ba280a0030a22640746954e

who could turn his body into steel. Gōda could have influenced Zangief, but definitely not with his name.

Well, it's more complicated than that.

Cool, never seen/knew the Otokojuku guy (the little Otokojuku stuff i know is either from your old posts or minimal internet research), guess they picked that name just because he was big fighter from Siberia and the wild animals connection?

Fun thing SFDuel have an alt version of Gief called "Beast Zangief" where his theme switch from bear to wolves and one nickname is "Wolf KIng" 😁

Btw are'nt you fully convinced on Goda playing a role on Zangief concept?

Ever thought he's the closest anime thing we could point at, both for look and the bear theme (and maybe even banishing flat?)

37 minutes ago, Miðgarðsorm said:

Cerdo in Spanish means "dirty", "slob", "pig". Its feminine form cerda also means... yeah, "slut".

Yeah lol, did'nt knew the slut/dirty/slob thing but the pig yes because looking at images for "La Cerda",were indeed stuff like

221px-Voet-duque_de_medinacelli-prado.jp

but also bunch of pink dressed female pigs🤣

Tbh at first thought the ridicolous effect could have been main reason, but on second thought i guessed maybe i was looking at it with foreigner eyes, while maybe for them (spaniards) was familiar because the real existing noble family

Think kinda like our Colleoni of Bergamo, wich straight mean coglioni and they even got 3 pairs on the emblem lol... like good luck at sell foreigners Bartholomew Balls, but for us became familiar name for a famous medieval condottiero (sure, Bartolomeo COGLIONI would have way harder time to sound legit lol), so i guessed maybe for them had similar effect where they had easy time associate "La Cerda" with a noble dinasty

But if also had all these other negative meanings you say i can see that being primary reason lol

1 hour ago, Miðgarðsorm said:

Imagine a good Vulcano Rosso la Troia. Doesn't sound so good anymore, doesn't it? 🤣

You just made me remember phone-talking at work with people having it as surname and how they will insist on push huge accent on the "i" as if that move alone could save them

Imagine go through elementary and middle school with that, no surprise Rosso grew as best fighter evah 💎

11 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

If I had an actual time machine:

Boxer would have been called Bison.  Because he's a big strong thug.

Claw would be called Vega, cause it's a Spanish name.

Dictator would be called Balrog, because he's a demon of shadow and flame.

Would be very ok with it

I think we had this conversation back when not so long ago devs(?) asked if we prefer JAP or USA names for the shadaloo kings, my position was exactly that... overall i prefer western ones, but for obvious reasons i like M.Bison more on boxer than on dictator

Would have accepted indeed Balrog going to Dictator, not only for the original "Tolkien" shadow/flame evil thing, but even more since @Miðgarðsorm(iirc) told us the name reached SF likely because was in Strider main villain Boss flying ship was called like that... suddently added militaristic/tech/scifi theme i associated with Dictator a lot too

12 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

Akuma no Gouki (JA)

Gouki the Demon (NA)

Tbh i would be fine even keep things as they are (JP using Gouki and US Akuma), but simply make clear the thing that

Gouki =  name

Akuma = nickname

The only thing i'm truly against is USA version retardness of treat "Akuma" as an actual name, because kinda betray the concept that Gouki is born as a normal human and only after through life got corrupted by SnH

Imagining an universal version my 2cents is most logic way would be in to go for Akuma, as that would fit some sort of legendary reputation in martial arts world and would work for all those that don't know his real name... to make a parallel kinda like many in Baki series often call Yujiro not by name but with "the Ogre", specially those that know him mostly by fame rather than personally

Then have very few people (Gouken, Ryu, Ken, Retsu and possibly Gen) that knew him before the SnH transformation and canon wise prefer to call him by name... i ever thought specially if used by Gouken or Ryu the name "Gouki" can be full of meaning, as to refuse recognize him as superhuman being but only as a fool human that lost his soul

12 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

I want them to retcon it so Geki was Zeku in his young disguise.  He just wanted to enter the tournament anonymously.  And people think he's dead because he abandoned the persona.

Idk, to me despite being ninjutsu characters they feel very different

I mean, it's true in SFV Zeku show off he can use lot of classic stereotype "ninja" skills and tricks in fighting instead being just all Bushinryu taijutsu stuff... but at same time feels to me Zeku still is more a taijutsu fighter that will punch/kick/throw your ass, while Geki was all about try fuck you up with a steel claw and shurikens

I mean, in my mind i associate more Geki's ninjutsu to some elements of Vega and Ibuki, rather than Zeku's

27 minutes ago, Miðgarðsorm said:

Hello, @biachunli! Yes, they ARE actually saved in archive.org, just a bit harder to find than usual... Here you go. There are Side Stories about the newcomers of SFIV.
C. Viper "Her Names";

Abel "Before father's grave";

Rufus "Looking for the blonde";

El Fuerte "The super dynamic cook!";

Lauren (Viper's daughter) "Her Family";

Rufus & Candy "Rufus's treat".

I don't have the time to translate these atm, but I know you can do so yourself.

🤩🤩🤩 Thank you! 

17 hours ago, BigMex said:

Naming conventions aside what does everyone think about the original ideas for Vega / Balrog?

spacer.png

Starting with the premise final version is much better than both, i prefer templar knight on the left

Don't like much the idea of a sword in SF2, but the knight stereotype was so absurd/anachronistic that could have worked, give that dude SF2 Cammy stage lol

Design on general was kinda cool, also it already have an hint on final Vega slender/elegant built wich contrast nicely with the other 3 bosses

I don't like the other on the right... it's not that they did'nt put some thought on it, they did effort trying mix on same design ninja+matador+knight elements, but ultimately end up lack a strong direction

Probably a colored version would have got blond hair to further sell "european ninja" thing, but still if was all there was weak imho

Most interesting part of that one may be that could gave them ideas for final M.Bison look, the shoulder and forearm metal protections are the same and were'nt a thing on Washizaki

CVQkGwyWUAE-TI8?format=jpg&name=900x900

Also the stocky built and low center of gravity as if he's about to jump may come from there

Even if the anti-riot cop concept is also likely candidate for the protections idea

http://fightingstreet.com/folders/artworkfolder/artworkpics/sf_art/sfii_art/sfiiww_art/sfiiww_concept_art/SFIIWW_Concept_Art_25.jpg

17 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Honestly, I get Hokuto No Ken vibes from them.

Fun thing also final version Vega was mostly made grabbing stuff from HnK... guess they wanted one villain from there lol

Edited by CESTUS III
8 hours ago, BigMex said:

Naming conventions aside what does everyone think about the original ideas for Vega / Balrog?

spacer.png

I think, over the years, it eventually evolved into Marisa.

I think the idea of a knight fighter inspired the concept for Elizabeth, a wealthy antique dealer that fought in antique armor.

Elizabeth_SFV.jpg

And eventually the concept was retooled into Marisa, who's obsessed with history and antiquities, but is more focused on jewely than armor.

On 9/12/2023 at 12:05 PM, BigMex said:

"The reality is that Western writers, artists, actors, directors and producers have been doing a greater disservice to Asian characters than any Japanese developer ever could. It is the ugly truth. Audiences from the west fail to acknowledge what we have done culturally to Asians over the past century."

I just want to say (as someone with Chinese family and an awareness of history) that you have to strongly think about what you're doing when you talk about the treatment of the Chinese by the Japanese. It shows a lack of knowledge of history both in entertainment and regarding world events of the past. ESPECIALLY over the past century. In fact, this reeks of western centric benevolence wrapped in an almost patronizing attitude of magnanimous contrition to say "oh we did more damage and are oh so bad". Contrition for something you didn't even do. The worst kind. It really feels like a myopic focus on history where all other 'foreign places' are but vassal states to the entertainment, history and geopolitics of the west while ignoring literal centuries of very relevant regional history of a continent that influences attitudes, decisions and everything else to this day in that area (and beyond).

Also that doesn't even really expand into other issues across Asia like Japanese and Korean history.

That is the real ugly truth. Not some western public self-flagellation to invoke group-guilt. Which I find abhorrent btw. Do not include others when you say what 'audiences from the west' do or, especially, when you say 'what we have done'. I know I am not part of some collective responsible for the actions of others. Do not associate me with them nor with what they think or are 'failing to acknowledge'. I'm quite aware of negative stereotypes of all kinds used in media both past and present. A lot of people are.

That said, still love your blog and the vast majority of your insights. You're just way off the mark on this take (though I fully grant that it likely comes from good intentions).

EDIT:

I wanted to reemphasize the last part. Your blog is awesome and has top tier content. I've not only read it, I regularly re-read stuff in it and I do not think any of this disagreement stems from any outlook rooted in anything negative. On the contrary, I think all you've written hinges on and stems from good intentions on your part.

Edited by YagamiFire

People, in the West, have a big misconception of Japan IMO. Or they are just flat out unware of their history. Japan was the bully of Asia for sometime. More people need to look at how Japan was before the Atom Bomb. The entire mindset of the country was different. Japan has always had an interesting culture and history. We tend to romanticize it in the West and only remember the "cool" parts of it.

7 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

I think, over the years, it eventually evolved into Marisa.

I think the idea of a knight fighter inspired the concept for Elizabeth, a wealthy antique dealer that fought in antique armor.

Elizabeth_SFV.jpg

And eventually the concept was retooled into Marisa, who's obsessed with history and antiquities, but is more focused on jewely than armor.

You're right, never thought about Marisa concept coming also from SFV Elisabeth concept (+bunch of SFV "italian girl" concepts, all with red hair) but very likely did, actually all Marisa armor moves would have got even more sense on Elisabeth, can imagine her armored arms doing same block Marisa does at start of Scutum looking so natural

Was'nt much fan of that specific concept, but the idea or a fighter using euro plate armor as signature gimmick could have worked well lol

Fun thing is even after SF2 Vega devs ever toyed with add an armored european fighter for a while in concepts phase, SF3 had one done Beauty and the Beast style who had chest plate armor

s-l1200.jpg

SFV also had the crustacean-skin dude, wich remember SF2 templar knight Vega

Can't find it, but was this guy below with hands/forearms fully turned into crustacean like spikes and had an closed helm pretty similar to prototype Vega's one

13_crab01.jpg

also i'm pretty sure to remember a "Swiss Guard" (like Pope's ones in Vatican City) one i can't find to save my life, wich iirc was still SFV, back to when they was exploring various ethnicities for Necalli

There's the "How to make  Capcom fighting characters" book scans, but neither of mentioned concepts can be found there

No idea where find, so just take my word lol

8 hours ago, YagamiFire said:

That is the real ugly truth. Not some western public self-flagellation to invoke group-guilt. Which I find abhorrent btw. Do not include others when you say what 'audiences from the west' do or, especially, when you say 'what we have done'. I know I am not part of some collective responsible for the actions of others. Do not associate me with them nor with what they think or are 'failing to acknowledge'. I'm quite aware of negative stereotypes of all kinds used in media both past and present. A lot of people are.

The funny thing is, you were not actually the target of these accusations.  As you said, you "hadn't done these things".  Therefore, his comments weren't directed at you.

And yet you felt the need to leap to the defense of those design choices, because you felt felt attacked, even though you weren't.  But in doing so, you defended some potentially racist practices, which means now you ARE who those accusations are directed at.  And deservedly so.  Because now it IS "what you've done" and what you've "failed to acknowledge".  Cause, news flash:  Defending racism makes you racist.  

BigMex: "This is a little problematic."

Non-Racist:  "That's interesting."

Racist:  "Whoa!  Are you calling me out?!  I gotta break this down and explain to you why it's not racist and everyone should think it's great!"

And you did the latter.

Then, a week later...

BigMex:  "Hey guys.  I respect our difference of opinion."

You:  "Oooh!  I gotta write another essay reiterating how much I hate this and how not racist I am!!"

Edited by DarthEnderX
On 8/14/2023 at 7:40 PM, CESTUS III said:

Wich collaborations you guys would be willing to spend money on?

Would need to be something really cool to make me ignore the scam prices

To me is

SNK  -> specially if Fatal Fury characters. Would ever welcome Terry, Joe or Geese as guests

ARIKA -> for SFEX, furthermore now that SFV made their characters canon (i already made V.Rosso, Allen, Darun, Pullum, D.Dark, C.Jack)

NAMCO -> Tekken of course, but would depend a lot wich char get picked

BAKI -> even if they would need to be VERY good as are pretty simple characters and when we finally get locked contents i will be able to recreate them well ingame myself lo

Called it, we are getting Baki collab it seem 😁