Stage Select

The Street Fighter VI Story Thread: Shadaloo Died so Luke Could Live!

So something trivial that I've been thinking about... The scripting is I think much better than it's been comparing the English to the Japanese version. I feel like since the English lip movement now matches with the English voices, seems that a lot of the lines are closer to each other, with a few interesting exceptions.

I was listening to Guile's Somersault Kick lines for both English and Japanese and for the English perfect Somersault I like that he says "Flash Kick!" but no matter what modern SF we get, we're gonna hear anything but Flash Kick. Interesting choice for the Japanese perfect Somersault line to be "Crescent!"

16 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

Yeah Im okay with other SF1 characters as NPC, because they arent competent enough. My exception is Lee and Gen. Ill consider Joe since the rework idea is interesting

Nobody who's already been playable should be relegated to being an NPC anyway.

There's only 4 SF1 characters that haven't been playable yet.  If they become NPCs in WTM, then:

Retsu - already in WTM

Geki - Should use Vega's moveset and unique Specials after Vega is added

Lee - Should use Jamie's moveset

Joe - Should use Cody's moveset after Cody is added

Edited by DarthEnderX
12 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

Joe - Should use Cody's moveset after Cody is added

Cody would work well, but tbh i just love how Deejay style works on my Joe CC 

It give him kickboxing stuff, a smile on his face (like in some Joe artworks) and Deejay's qcf+K works well for Joe SF1 special kick 

I'm not at home for two qeeks but iirc specials i gave him were 

Deejay qcf+K

Deejay qcb+P

Deejay charge d,u+K

Ken srk+K

Supers

Deejay Lv1

Luke Lv2

Guile Lv3 

Usually i try give CC moveset as much variety (of characters) as possible, but in Joe's case lot of times best pick felt Deejay's stuff

One thing i noticed is Capcom despite having even more freedom than us very rarely use for NPCs moves from different characters, usually they go lazy ass both in appearance and moveset, picking one single char style and calling it a day 

Azam at least mixed Zangief and Rashid + exclusive stuff, but he's rare if not unique case

2 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

I said Cody because Alpha 3 Cody started out development as Joe.  Cody ended up taking his slot(and also, I assume, the awful prisoner gimmick), so I figure it's only fair for Joe to take his moveset.

Yeah iirc the direct similarity goes even more backward, even to SF1 and FF sprites 😁 

Fun detail during current fight pass is possible to unlock what is supposed to be Joe's SF1 intro jacket (even if look bit different) where he smash the wall

Personally i completed the free version till C.Viper glasses at lv20, but the prizes did'nt felt worth the fight coins price

3 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

I said Cody because Alpha 3 Cody started out development as Joe.  Cody ended up taking his slot(and also, I assume, the awful prisoner gimmick), so I figure it's only fair for Joe to take his moveset.

58 minutes ago, CESTUS III said:

Yeah iirc the direct similarity goes even more backward, even to SF1 and FF sprites 😁 

Fun detail during current fight pass is possible to unlock what is supposed to be Joe's SF1 intro jacket (even if look bit different) where he smash the wall

Personally i completed the free version till C.Viper glasses at lv20, but the prizes did'nt felt worth the fight coins price

10 minutes later after looking in Wikipedia... HAHA

then starts with... FUN DETAIL 🤠 2010 

I suddenly remember the argument on another thread about alpha3 and the PSP version haha

No wonder why his being easy to diss beat em ups genre and other characters other than mentioning characters that are popular now and he find cool . Goenitz haha

Edited by Shakunetsu
11 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

The game is running a favorite boss poll. I still don't buy into G being SFV boss but whatever

wish could vote lol, but can't access the game 

That's tricky, Bison is of course best Boss in the sense he got developed the most... he got everything: multiple chapters dedicated to him, lore ties, sub-bosses, locations, the role in fucking SF2, anime/manga etc 

Everybody else barely got anything lol 

Would vote somebody else because last thing capcom need is to be encouraged into more Bison spamming to play safe

Would probably vote Gill, he's designed to be superior fighter, greater scale threat and so his org has been portrayed to be larger scale of influence than Shadaloo. 

His whole SF3 arc felt like foreplay, as if they was expecting to follow up soon after with a SF4 made by them that never happened. 

SFV did baby steps to set him straight leaving behind the "i lose on purpose uhuh" bullshit, and started use him as the powerhouse he's supposed to be, going through Urien and G 

Hope we will finally see something great scale for him

Necalli could have been great if they had the balls to let him take over and fullfill his Kars potential, making him scariest shit heroes ever faced 

But Capcom burnt him beyond repair imho 

Curious to see if Lily thing will evolve into anything

G can still be saved and he's a likeable char, i just have hard time consider him greater villain than Gill, but i like his believe to do right thing madness

Seth was a failure, even attempts to waifu him don't save shit

Good idea at start(concept phase), died as soon touched the game 

Sagat is my favourite character of all them and first i would like get in SF6 (still no muay thai you fucks), but don't consider him Boss 

Worked for small world of SF1, wwould not work today

Wish they will make him honourable rival of Ryu able to offer a competitive fight, i liked it in SF4 and SFV(intro) 

JP is cool af and could have been great if they dared make him equal to Bison (they had canon elements for it too), but they was scared of touch the status quo and made him a small ceiling char... original/interesting take, but still

He's cool and written very well, kinda sad they denied him the chance to rival other big baddies 

Even the big hype Ken thing lost lot of fuel now that we know bunch of chars likely beat JP

Too bad, really liked him, was great chance to bring forward psycho power threat without rely on endless Bison recycle

A bit off-topic. Just finished processing Sagat Origins by Chris Sarrazzini. To be honest I've liked even less than Akuma Origins. Too brutal and a very different feeling from the positive vibe this comic series gives off. I think a non-asian shouldn't write it. There is something very East Asian coded into SF DNA. The best and only capable writer at Udon is Ken Siu-Chong. Just my humble opinion. 😉

Another question - has one of you the Felicia and the SF Masters -  Chun-Li comics? Would you mind scanning or photographing them for me?

2 hours ago, Miðgarðsorm said:

Ok guys, I've found out one of the VERY likely inspirations for JP.

In the 2009 movie Thick as Thieves, there's a Russian mafia boss played by Croatian actor Rade Šerbedžija. He has roughly the same attire and general aspect JP has, complete with beard, fedora and cane. Also, he's named Nicky PETROVICH... But the protagonist (Antonio Banderas) finds out it's a false name. I saw the movie by chance on TV today and was like

Coming To America Bar GIF

Schermata-2023-08-22-alle-17-02-25.jpg

Rade2.jpg

Oh, and there's ALSO Morgan Freeman in the movie (he plays a thief linked to Petrovich). So the link for Albert Jackson came from here as well... The movie was dubbed and released in Japan in 2010.

Just to add: remember the mafia boss BORIS RODČENKO in the Russian stage in SFV? The one who smuggles weapons and works of art?

SDye88G.png

The "real" name of Nicky Petrovich in the movie is Viktor Korolenko, and he makes the character played by Freeman steal two Fabergé eggs from a museum, then manipulates the protagonist (Banderas, an undercover cop) to make him deliver the eggs by kidnapping his girlfriend... who's actually Petrovich/Korolenko's DAUGHTER, so she was in cahoot with the mafia the whole time. Banderas is compromised and can't return to his cop life anymore, so he decides to become a thief (but at least his girlfriend DID actually love him, despite the ruse to frame him). So many elements they reused from this film for JP and Rodčenko...

Rade3.jpg

On 8/16/2023 at 12:45 PM, Shakunetsu said:

does she change color and body mass? or just having to grow shells?

Likely the safer guess on her powers since durability can be related to her because of necro and twelve.

so we might all have common think on her in a safer bet, the difference is how it would be executed

She would get pale, swelling, and spikes

spacer.png

Joke aside SF4 had the best cast i seen in a SF game

Despite shitboss Seth and gimmick suit C.Viper, think was the one that tried the hardest to rep the "martial arts world" thing, and i loved that

SF6 had decent start but LOT of shit still to cover with DLC, and S1 suck dicks at that 

Hope next season will make me feel cast is complete, SFV took years... well at least this time game started with Honda already in lol

Edited by CESTUS III
9 hours ago, Miðgarðsorm said:

Hey! There's nothing wrong with loving the LAST game where Dudley, Makoto and Elena were playable... 🥲🥲🥲

Street Fighter IV Elena is the reason people hate the character and we may never see her again. Plus her animations were jank. Capcom had been making 3D games for well over a decade when SFIV dropped. Yet, you couldn't tell that by the way SFIV looked.  Just reason number 448,720,242 why SFIV is ass. Hank Hill ass at that.

1 hour ago, YagamiFire said:

Alpha era is best era. People can disagree because it's a free country and people are free to be wrong.

I can respect that opinion. Each game in the series plays differently. Although I prefer Alpha 2, the home version of SFA3 was first game in the series to add significant game modes for single player content. The Saturn version in particular was good. SFA3 was the first game in the series with enough bread crumbs to have a good SF story thread on a forum.

11 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

Still the best SF.

Best roster.  Best soundtrack.    And they hadn't overcomplicated the mechanics yet.

Only wack part is the art style.  Which I try not to hold against it because it was the first modern SF.

No overcomplicated mechanics? You know how littered SF4 is with option selects? Throw OS practically removed throws from the game at high level. The amount of 1 frame links is ridiculous too.

I don't even want to get into how bad SF4 soundtrack is. It's like eating unseasoned chicken.

2 hours ago, YagamiFire said:

Alpha era is best era. People can disagree because it's a free country and people are free to be wrong.

Alpha had awesome art style

Alpha did'nt gave much fucks about muh martial arts though, added nothing new on that side and even took to wait up to A3 to see boxing and sumo

3 and 4 did more for me in terms of new additions, even if A3 cast > SF3

8 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Street Fighter IV Elena is the reason people hate the character and we may never see her again. Plus her animations were jank. Capcom had been making 3D games for well over a decade when SFIV dropped. Yet, you couldn't tell that by the way SFIV looked.

True.
But SFIV was still the last game where we saw her playable.

Granted, if I want to play a good-looking Elena I have to revert back to SFIII. But then again, she can't kick Honda, Juri or Adon (random examples) there.

Let's just hope we'll see her back in SF6 with good animations and a CA which gives her back all of her lifebar in 0.5 seconds just to troll even more, I mean, and a more thoughtful approach to her character.

I even thought about a super secret CA, not listed in the moveset, just for that.

Imagine a 720 P grab where Elena hugs you like she did with Akuma in her SFIV ending, and which gives her AND HER OPPONENT back all their lifebars. Complete reset. And if nothing changes (no one does anything until the timeout), the match is awarded to her opponent anyway. Because making friends is more important, who cares about fighting.

I'd call it Hakuna Matata.

17 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

Still the best SF.

Best roster.  Best soundtrack.    And they hadn't overcomplicated the mechanics yet.

Only wack part is the art style.  Which I try not to hold against it because it was the first modern SF.

Yeah the models and art style is the disaster

Modes = SFV had overall better modes but started worst than SF4

Initial Roster = SFV no doubt, fair distribution

Bosses = SFV had the better returning bosses Because it got all the best bosses from every game while SF4 only got Bison and Sagat

New Character = SFV wins no doubt

Bonus Games = SF4 no doubt

Sound Track = SF4 Im a purist in this category 

Gameplay I'm not the best one to be ask but I like SF4 to watch than SFV in a mile. SF4 is more intense to watch

BUT I'm also biased towards over complicated mechanics I like 2-IN-ONE characters and installs in SFV

Returning character redesign = Both SF4 I like Gen, Dhalsim SF5, Blanka SF5, Sagat SFV,

I'm more of a purist also. So I like gradual updates than radical changes so kinda biased also I like SF6 Zangief and SF6 Chun but not into radical Im not into Mayor  Cody, KenSFV, IbukiSFV

8 hours ago, YagamiFire said:

Yeah they were striving to make the world interconnected and the mythos better compare to SF6 that is slowly distancing and SF3 that is entirely distancing.

Making Alpha and FF as an interconnected storyline and fleshing out the characters backstories and characters origins as the priority, while fixing SF1 and SF2 randomness of characters mythos all in one series ALPHA. 

Even MODES is a huge step up from SF1 and SF2, Even beating both modern SF games like SF3 and SF4. I mean even Arcade ports of the modes were better than SF4 and SF3, I'm not even talking about the later fancier ports in portable I'm just comparing the vanilla version of the ORIGINAL Arcade LOL

I would never forget Capcom initially interview about SFV, about Sodom, They were initially was distancing to Final Fight but later the character demands change it

Edited by Shakunetsu
8 hours ago, Miðgarðsorm said:

True.
But SFIV was still the last game where we saw her playable.

This ☝️

Have her in > have her loved 

Honda is'nt loved and people cried over him getting a SF6 slot, but still he's in SF6 and they can suck a dick

Hope same is for her, would have been in S1 (or start cast) if was up to me

As for a healing super, following SF6 logic it can be done as Lv2, just with limitations to be less strong mechanic.. 

Like could be done with health returning in the form of grey-health, so even small strike will instant stop the healing 

Love the gimmick she could cure somebody else too, would like it even just as special taunt that give opponent minimal amount of health back, like the damage of a MP or MK lol

22 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Street Fighter IV Elena is the reason people hate the character and we may never see her again. Plus her animations were jank. Capcom had been making 3D games for well over a decade when SFIV dropped. Yet, you couldn't tell that by the way SFIV looked.  Just reason number 448,720,242 why SFIV is ass. Hank Hill ass at that.

True words. SF4 is a jank fest. We can definitely find stills where they looked fine, but in motion...? Hideous. On character models, Gouki's was absolutely among the worst with his wife beater gi. He was a goblin of abominable proportions and his VA Dave Mallow made it even worse. SF5 had less jank, but nonetheless jank. 

This may be an unpopular opinion, but SF6 animates and looks so many gradients better than both games easily. No more banana Ken, or animations that are way too fast to look decent a la SF4. Almost forgot to note no more Kung Fu Theatre with the English voices with Japanese lip movement. Beautiful game, that SF6. 

Edited by ToreyBeans
16 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

No overcomplicated mechanics? You know how littered SF4 is with option selects? Throw OS practically removed throws from the game at high level. The amount of 1 frame links is ridiculous too.

I'm talking about lower level basic stuff, not pro-player stuff.

I have an active dislike for how in 5, and now 6, everyone has to have installs or stock management or pre-move setups.  Nobody just...has moves that just work anymore.  You either have to windclad/denjin charge before you do your moves so they don't suck, have to do shit like store up a kick, or set down a tornado and do your moves THROUGH it, or you have to make sure you didn't run out of dolls or paint cans or lose certain moves entirely.  And every character has to have a DIFFERENT one of these new gimmicks.

It makes learning a new character feel like learning an entirely new game, and it's exhausting.

And none of these make the character better.  They just make the character worse if you DON'T do them.  Remember in SF4 when Juri just had normal projectiles, and didn't have to load her fucking foot first each time?  Or how Ibuki could just...throw kunai without worrying about running out?  Better times...

18 hours ago, YagamiFire said:

Alpha era is best era.

Alpha 3 is fantastic except for it's dogshit soundtrack.

Edited by DarthEnderX
5 hours ago, ToreyBeans said:

Hideous. On character models, Gouki's was absolutely among the worst with his wife beater gi. He was a goblin of abominable proportions and his VA Dave Mallow made it even worse. 

Tbh set Gouki on english should be ruled as crime 

Actually i miss option in SF6 (or anyway i did'nt seen it) to set some chars in english and somebody in japanese 

In SFV english worked very well for some, like Guile, Nash or Rog/boxer

But on general would keep jap for most 

Iirc i got everybody jap in SF6, but would like set some chars in english (Luke, Guile and JP in particular)

5 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

I'm talking about lower level basic stuff, not pro-player stuff.

I have an active dislike for how in 5, and now 6, everyone has to have installs or stock management or pre-move setups.  Nobody just...has moves that just work anymore.  You either have to windclad/denjin charge before you do your moves so they don't suck, have to do shit like store up a kick, or set down a tornado and do your moves THROUGH it, or you have to make sure you didn't run out of dolls or paint cans or lose certain moves entirely.  And every character has to have a DIFFERENT one of these new gimmicks.

It makes learning a new character feel like learning an entirely new game, and it's exhausting.

And none of these make the character better.  They just make the character worse if you DON'T do them.  Remember in SF4 when Juri just had normal projectiles, and didn't have to load her fucking foot first each time?  Or how Ibuki could just...throw kunai without worrying about running out?  Better times...

Alpha 3 is fantastic except for it's dogshit soundtrack.

You are exaggerating when it comes to the installs. Unless you're playing Lily you don't need them to make moves work. Ryu is arguably better off not doing denjin. Honda only works for one move and all it does is leave him plus when he lands it. Kimberly is a situational move. Blanka is fine without his.

I remember in SF4 you need to hold on a button if you wanted to store Juri's projectiles to do her best stuff. I honestly prefer how it is in 6 over that. Ibuki without a kunai resource was only able to do it as an air projectile. 5 gave her kunai more utility.