Stage Select

The Street Fighter VI Story Thread: Shadaloo Died so Luke Could Live!

13 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

Alpha 3 is fantastic except for it's dogshit soundtrack.

yeah A2 and A1 has the better OST and UI also

A3 had the better announcer as something for the audio and announcer complimentary but the OST is forgetable haha

9 hours ago, YagamiFire said:

I would hope this isn't unpopular. SF6 is FAR better in terms of art style than SF5  or SF4, with SF5 having been better than 4 but neither very good. SF6 is quite good.

Problems with SF4 is that it doesn't know what artstyle it should had been.

It initially thought to be Okami but loss its intentions through playtest. SF5 and SF6 knows what it wants to be yet semi realistic doesnt fit some SF characters like Blanka in SF6.

15 hours ago, ToreyBeans said:

True words. SF4 is a jank fest. We can definitely find stills where they looked fine, but in motion...? Hideous. On character models

SF4 had better normal active animation frame than SF5 but SFV had better recovery frames and there are also clipping in SF5 not on SF4 lol but other excuse it that it wants to emulate 2D feel LOL whats with that? SFV wasnt even cellshaded like XRD. Why the f they need to clipping haha.

SF6 animation is looking better so far.

But on good looking MODELS that goes for SF5 than both SF4 and SF6 but SFV hair is meh compare to SF6

Edited by Shakunetsu
10 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

Alpha 3 is fantastic except for it's dogshit soundtrack.

Funny enough, I can't find the source, but I remember reading in a wiki a long time ago that they planned on making a soundtrack with live instrumentation, but they couldn't fit it onto the roms sadly.

7 hours ago, CESTUS III said:

Actually i miss option in SF6 (or anyway i did'nt seen it) to set some chars in english and somebody in japanese

The options are thankfully still available! They're just slightly more difficult to find because there are just so many more switches.

8 hours ago, YagamiFire said:

I would hope this isn't unpopular. SF6 is FAR better in terms of art style than SF5  or SF4, with SF5 having been better than 4 but neither very good. SF6 is quite good.

For real! I went back to look at some old SF2 artwork and referenced the 8 WW and their classic looks in SF6 are ridiculously spot on. Big shout out to the artists who updated Dee Jay's classic look. He and all the other SF2 alums look like legitimate people, even Blanka in some strange way.

7 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

You are exaggerating when it comes to the installs. Unless you're playing Lily you don't need them to make moves work. Ryu is arguably better off not doing denjin. Honda only works for one move and all it does is leave him plus when he lands it. Kimberly is a situational move. Blanka is fine without his.

Do you consider Jamie's drinking an install?  Or not, because it doesn't wear off?

7 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

I remember in SF4 you need to hold on a button if you wanted to store Juri's projectiles to do her best stuff. I honestly prefer how it is in 6 over that.

I actually only found out she even had that recently.  Never knew she had a Balrog Turn Punch mechanic...

8 hours ago, YagamiFire said:

Yeah, I don't approve of SF6's CHOICE of art style.  But they executed the style they chose incredibly well.  And it looks FAR better than SF4 or SF5.

Edited by DarthEnderX
1 hour ago, ToreyBeans said:

The options are thankfully still available! They're just slightly more difficult to find because there are just so many more switches.

Thanks, do you rember where? 

Iirc i found in some menu the switch to pick japanese or english for whole cast 

But did'nt found way to pick it selectively char by char

@DarthEnderX finally found the quote from here:

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Trivia/StreetFighterAlpha

"For Alpha 3, Takayuki Iwai, the main musical composer for the game, originally wanted to use a custom CD-based soundboard in order to make a hard rock soundtrack similar to Guilty Gear. Budget constraints forced him to use the standard MIDI Q-Sound system instead."

We could've had The Road as a beastly rock theme 😭

8 hours ago, ToreyBeans said:

"For Alpha 3, Takayuki Iwai, the main musical composer for the game, originally wanted to use a custom CD-based soundboard in order to make a hard rock soundtrack similar to Guilty Gear. Budget constraints forced him to use the standard MIDI Q-Sound system instead."

We could've had The Road as a beastly rock theme 😭

I still wouldn't have liked it though for replacing everyone's classic themes with worse ones.

The Road IS actually good though.  I wish it had been one of the new character's themes so it would have been carried forward.

Edited by DarthEnderX

Yeah, I wonder what motivated the sound team to switch to such a different sound compared to the first two Alpha games. I mean I'm probably among the few people who liked nearly every single soundtrack in SF history, but even though I enjoyed Alpha 3's soundtrack I get the sentiment for not liking it too. They probably wanted to explore another layer of sound with the "new" soundtrack, as we learned more about our characters' pasts. Every SF song always has something behind it... Like when I hear The Road, I feel like it speaks to Ryu's determination to make himself a great fighter - it has a youthful upbeat sound in contrast to KOBU in SF3TS. 

Edited by ToreyBeans
On 8/24/2023 at 3:40 AM, CESTUS III said:

Gouki on english should be ruled as crime 

I agree with you on SF4. Gouki’s English voice in SF5 though was significantly better when Richard Epcar took over the role. Dave Mallow sounded like he had stuffed ghost peppers and concentrated cigarette smoke down his throat for far too long. I felt Epcar was very close compared to how Taketora performed. Certain things in the script could’ve been better (Die One Thousand Deaths should’ve maybe just remained as Isshun Sengeki), but overall it was solid. 

15 hours ago, ToreyBeans said:

I agree with you on SF4. Gouki’s English voice in SF5 though was significantly better when Richard Epcar took over the role. Dave Mallow sounded like he had stuffed ghost peppers and concentrated cigarette smoke down his throat for far too long. I felt Epcar was very close compared to how Taketora performed. Certain things in the script could’ve been better (Die One Thousand Deaths should’ve maybe just remained as Isshun Sengeki), but overall it was solid. 

You know maybe is me having no reason to pick english (it's not my language), and that since SF is a japanese game i like it to keep this identity as much as possible, i will ever tend to consider jap as the original thing and eng as a marketing need 

End up i tend to pick english only for these specific characters (example in SF6 Guile, Luke or Cammy)  where i feel pick english is "justified" as it add something to the characterization/context of the fighter, or where a performance managed to stuck in my head (JP, but tbh i did'nt gave much attention to his jap voice as i played whole WTM in eng before diacover the switch lol) 

Plus eng throw me out of anime vibes SF should have, there's something that american dubbers imho seem to miss most or times as if they don't understand (i know it's not the case, i'm trying to explain the vibes i get) how the character is supposed to sound in creators mind and they fill that void with their personal interpretation. 

To don't be unfair, i realize this is also part of a work of adaptation to a different audience wich make it even a desiderable thing (wich maybe is even encouraged by who pay), but still not for me

But then you have chars where pick eng is really a plus, as can't beat it to make vet american soldier Guile or jokeful american dudebro Luke, so i'm very happy you teached me how to use selective switch 👍

Edited by CESTUS III

I agree - the English voice acting is definitely good and I’ve set everyone to English too. Feels like with legacy VAs like Kyle Hebert, he and others got better over time. In SF4 and SF5 I usually had Ryu on Japanese, but the quality is on another level to the point where I honestly think Kyle Hebert did a better job than Hiroki Takahashi this time around. I understand and appreciate@CESTUS III’ perspective too.

In most anime media, we know the Japanese script is usually gonna take precedence over the English one, because with English adaptations what’s being said is an approximation of the Japanese script. SF6 solves so much of that issue thankfully! Funny enough though, even with SF6 you can tell that there are some localization changes for sure. For example, Dee Jay in his epilogue in Japanese says a lot of short Engrish phrases that wouldn’t make much sense to us, but in English he sounds completely natural with talking about how excited he is to make new music. 

I found I’ve always thought that if a character has an accent that English would be the premier choice. But characters who don’t have accents and are from other countries like Juri, Chun and Blanka are kinda in a weird spot. Seeing that Chun is an Interpol agent, I can understand her being multilingual. 

4 hours ago, ToreyBeans said:

Funny enough though, even with SF6 you can tell that there are some localization changes for sure. For example, Dee Jay in his epilogue in Japanese says a lot of short Engrish phrases that wouldn’t make much sense to us, but in English he sounds completely natural with talking about how excited he is to make new music. 

They may be for sure more qualified at handle some situation involving western/american chars in a way that western audience can find less awkward, but still i don't trust them because they take liberties when handling canon stuff 

Not necessary same people of course, but SF past had cases where western side changed shit from jap source material

Capcom released a rejected Maki concept, SO similar to Linn Kurosawa that I and Ryoredcyclone wondered if Capcom couldn't bring Maki back with some of Linn's moves, like her 双勁破 Sōkeiha "twin power wave" and her 隼落投 Shunrakutō "falcon drop throw". Since they apparently can't freely use Linn anymore, it could be a fantastic way to kill two birds with one stone: you further differentiate Maki from the "standard Bushinryū" - now that Kimberly has "inherited" the style - AND show her evolution as a character, while hinting she could be killing aliens in another universe... kinda like they made Zeku the Striders' founder.

a055d51e.gif

FJ-MjGWWUAoLG3-?format=jpg&name=medium

15 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I haven't seen him or @Daemoslately 😔

At first thought it was just summer holydays break, but kinda long time we don't see him at this point 

Hope he's ok and just silly mad at no Bison, and no serious real life thing 

If anybody have way to contact him just stell him we wish he's ok and we are here for whatever

there was this other Bison new recent account. Im asking some of my long time Bison fan friends if they know Daemos or someone avid with fan fic but no knew. I know daemos is as old like 40s

I hopefully thinking he just probably didnt want his other accounts relative to his forum id. hopefully thats the case.

3 minutes ago, bakfromon said:

You sure she’s gonna bring a new world location or just be located in Chinatown Metro City but only at night?

It's mentioned in this PS blog article that China is the newest location to explore in WT: https://blog.playstation.com/2023/08/30/a-k-i-slithers-into-street-fighter-6-on-september-27-full-gameplay-details-revealed/

1 hour ago, YagamiFire said:

I don't see why people keep saying she's like Juri

She's not beyond "A girl that is evil". They have very different looks, mannerisms, voices, attitudes, etc.

She’s very much like Juri. Both have similar color schemes (Black, Purple, White). They both have a sadistic personality in wanting to torture their opponents in their own way. Her voice is similar to Juri’s too having a hint of playful sultry and conniving bitch. 

When you look at both Juri and Aki you automatically see they’re based on precursor Chun Li when she was supposed to be Gen’s granddaughter and student assassin. Aki adopted this old concept into her story now with Fang filling the role of Gen as her master. 

Juri and Aki are both evil counterparts to Chun in design and personality. 

Edited by bakfromon
58 minutes ago, YagamiFire said:

I don't see why people keep saying she's like Juri

She's not beyond "A girl that is evil". They have very different looks, mannerisms, voices, attitudes, etc.

Yeah, they're already doing what I was hoping they'd do; she gets super analytical and then fangirls out when she things of FANG. She's not constantly making double entendres, interplay of sex & violence moments & depression like Juri.

25 minutes ago, bakfromon said:

She’s very much like Juri. Both have similar color schemes (Black, Purple, White). They both have a sadistic personality in wanting to torture their opponents in their own way. Her voice is similar to Juri’s too having a hint of playful sultry and conniving bitch. 

When you look at both Juri and Aki you automatically see they’re based on precursor Chun Li when she was supposed to be Gen’s granddaughter and student assassin. Aki adopted this old concept into her story now with Fang filling the role of Gen as her master. 

Juri and Aki are both evil counterparts to Chun in design and personality. 

Black and purple are the quintessential villain colors alongside green. Their sadism is also extremely different with Juri being cruel and playful and AKI being weirdly analytical and obsessive.

AKI doesn't at all remind me of Chun-Li where-as Juri is clearly Chun-Li + Jolyne. AKI's design is not similar to Chun-li that I can see. Her silhouette is wildly different. Beyond "she's Chinese" I don't see any similar design queues. I mean we have to go WAY back to the barest hints of Chun-Li elements of her being trained by Gen...which NEVER meaningfully entered Chun-Li's actual design in any way whatsoever. She also has nothing to do with Chun's personality and doesn't play off it at all unlike Juri who has clear connections in origin and motivation.

This AKI stuff seriously seems like a reach.

27 minutes ago, YagamiFire said:

AKI's design is not similar to Chun-li that I can see.

So both of them wearing qipoa dresses are just something that’s a coincidence because they’re both stereotypes of Chinese women and not based on Chun’s design at all?

33 minutes ago, YagamiFire said:

Their sadism is also extremely different with Juri being cruel and playful and AKI being weirdly analytical and obsessive.

Their sadism is definitely similar, sure they have differences but they both sound alike in  tone of voice. 

Both have motifs that revolve around venomous creatures. Juri’s is the spider and now AKI’s is a snake.

Its not really that much of a reach to see how similar Juri and AKI both are to each other. That being said they’re both just evil  female characters based on Chun Li in some way. 

2 hours ago, YagamiFire said:

They REALLY aren't.  They're both sadistic, cackling, predatory.  They're both the exact same kind of girl Joker.

They even have similar mannerisms like lip licking and unnecessary body contortions, like the deep backbend.

3 hours ago, bakfromon said:

You sure she’s gonna bring a new world location or just be located in Chinatown Metro City but only at night?

The cutscenes they've shown are obviously from WTM.  And they take place in the China stage, which has been in the game since launch, but didn't appear in WTM.

Edited by DarthEnderX

I LOVE AKI already.

2 hours ago, bakfromon said:

So both of them wearing qipoa dresses are just something that’s a coincidence because they’re both stereotypes of Chinese women and not based on Chun’s design at all?

Only similarities between Chun and AKI is that they are both Chinese, practice a Chinese martial art, and the similar clothing as @bakfromonmentioned (qipao).

Juri probably is closer in similarities to Chun-Li than AKI.

But that's as far as it go. She's probably more of a mix betwen FANG and Juri, but even she makes FANG seem less goofy and Juri less of a psycho. But I think she may be my favorite new character (along with Kimberly)

The A.K.I. and Juri comparison comes off as surface level to me. A.K.I. is an obsessive psychopath that lives to please F.A.N.G. Juri is a chaotic anarchist that serves no one but herself. Juri gets off from inflicting pain on other's like Xenia Onatop in Goldeneye. A.K.I. shows no signs of getting any sort of sexual gratification from the violence she inflicts. She's not seductive in the slightest. While Juri is taking selfies over her KO'd opponent, A.K.I. straight up murders her foe in victory animation.

1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

A.K.I. shows no signs of getting any sort of sexual gratification from the violence she inflicts. She's not seductive in the slightest. While Juri is taking selfies over her KO'd opponent, A.K.I. straight up murders her foe in victory animation.

Pictured:  A character taking no pleasure in the violence she's inflicting...

iV6zUGw.png

Edited by DarthEnderX