Stage Select

The Street Fighter VI Story Thread: Shadaloo Died so Luke Could Live!

59 minutes ago, Dragonfave723 said:

Sorry, @CESTUS III. But this tweet from Street Fighter Japan clearly states that the new costumes for the base roster has been completed. No mention about DLC characters.

Oh for me would still be ok, of the 4 DLC ones none interest me much beside Ed wich got good new design and will likely get SFV one as 2nd i guess... personally would'nt even ask for a "boxer" outfit, as i still pray for Dudley (or at least Rog) to show up as pure boxing rep as soon as possible

My fear was them not covering in the upcoming update 100% of base cast, but just that half(?) characters they showed... wich would leave out some characters i'm interested the most (Ryu and Zangief)

Irrc characters that got their final pick artwork showed are

Deejay

Ken

Juri

Cammy

Guile

Lily

Marisa

Luke

Jamie

Characters that still did'nt got their final pick revealed

Ryu

Zangief

Chun Li

Dhalsim

Blanka

Kimberly

JP*

Honda

Manon

9 revealed, 9 still to see

My fear was they will deliver only first group

Hope the ones they chosen to show are meaningless and they will indeed deliver whole base cast as you say 🕯️🙏

Wanting to be optimistic they would be very retarded to NOT say in advance if they plan to deliver it only for half (base) cast, but on other side this is SF  people, they can do anything ignoring any consumer friendly logic

*i think we know wich is, i believe is the "leaked" art with blue Nayshall cloth, as was a single table artwork like those they revealed, so maybe for him is that... but officially has'nt been showed.

Iirc similar case is Honda

Edited by CESTUS III

@Miðgarðsormyou won 🤣

Guess Blankachan was inevitable too lol

Jp and Honda indeed end up getting the two artworks ones

Also Manon's Lady Oscar was shown in one 

Ryu indeed end up getting the jacket Chun Li chosen for him, overall i dig it even if was against it 

Luke one looks so much better than SFV counterpart 

Love them all, maybe just Juri and Kimberly are'nt great (but are'nt bad either)

Edited by CESTUS III

Design Team
The concept of this outfit is Chun-Li's casual wear. I thought that even her casual clothes would maintain an ease of movement and elegance, so I combined inner-wear that combines aspects of training attire with a Chinese and Korean-influenced jacket. The large slit shows her back when she moves, and the transparency provides a delicate touch when seen on the screen. 
Her sweatpants were designed with a basketball jersey in mind with side buttons that can be undone at the waist to make it easier for a character with thick thighs like Chun-Li to put them on. I've also never seen Chun-Li wear wide-legged pants before, so I decided to give this a shot.

7 hours ago, Chun-Li_Forever said:

Capcom acknowledges the canon!!! Ryu x Chun-Li baby!!!

The backstory behind the jacket is charming. 

I was thinking of a situation of Ryu wearing normal clothes and felt he might dress a little more like a regular person when he comes down from the mountain where he trains to head to town. From there, I thought about what he does in town, and imagined him going to public baths, buying ingredients for his meals, and washing his gi before returning to the mountain. We came up with the idea of Chun-Li scolding Ryu for roaming around town with his gi on, so she decides to buy him a jacket. He is also wearing a towel wrapped around his head that he wears after taking a bath, brand-new bandages, jeans that have been washed so many times that the color has faded and looks like white denim, and high-end sandals that were gifted from E. Honda.

It's funny to think that Chun scolds Ryu for wearing his gi in public so she went shopping with him. They also say that the sandals he's wearing are gifts from Honda.

There's now an official canon reason as to why Luke's forearm tattoos are removed. 

This outfit appeared in SFV but I actually came up with this after Luke's design for SF6 was established. The concept of this outfit was "more aggressive," and "young and cocky." The stars on his forearms are tattoos that he got every time he has won an underground martial arts tournament or an official tournament, and he eventually got them removed because he was embarrassed when he found out that his father had embroidered stars on his jacket for every comrade he couldn't save. My favorite part of this design are the braces on his teeth, which I hoped would express his immaturity and his ferociousness that look like as if he might come bite at you.

The stars thing is interesting because they signified Luke's victories in tournaments he had won. There are officially 23 in total; 11 on his left and 12 on his right. 

spacer.png

I also wonder if the jacket they're referring to is his story costume.

spacer.png

Edited by bakfromon

Ken, Blanka-Chan, Zangief, Dee Jay and Manon are top tier.

Guile is freaking slick. Not sure how much it fits him as a character but the costume itself looks amazing.

Lily, Honda and Dhalsim are pretty boring, but I guess it fits them.

Ryu, JP and Marisa are good ideas but I feel they look kinda weird in-game.

Luke's is great. Looks better than in SFV and with the added lore mentioned above it's certainly very cool. 

3 hours ago, bakfromon said:

There's now an official canon reason as to why Luke's forearm tattoos are removed. 

The stars thing is interesting because they signified Luke's victories in tournaments he had won. There are officially 23 in total; 11 on his left and 12 on his right. 

spacer.png

Cool thing it remind me real life former UFC fighter Alexander Gustafsson, who would tattoo on his arm one triangle for each pro fight he did (black in case of win, empty in case of loss, half in case of draw/NC)

gustafsson-vs-smith-ufc-fight-nightjpg.j

1 hour ago, DarthEnderX said:

Most of these are the outfits that showed up in their WT artworks.

Manon's outfit isn't from WT, but the hair style is.

maxed-out-my-bond-with-manon-today-in-th

I think it's funny that Lily's alt just straight up looks like Talim cosplay.  😛

At the end they went with Lady Oscar/Rose of Versailles

lady-teaser.jpg

wich they already shown to appreciate doing Seth in SFV

001.png?h=b612a5cce9e557c66c9a32bbf99a43

One funny thing is i may have an idea on why her giant brothers look so different from each others, they're likely a little tribute to most famous french judokas David Duillet and Teddy RIner, who both have won multiple golds at Olympics and World Games for France

ministro-ex.jpg385.jpg

Extra thing black one (Riner) also have same white-black hair of Jaques Ducalis from Buriki One, a french judoka SNK char based on Duillett

jaques.gif

Duillet was also important inspiration for Abel

1 hour ago, YagamiFire said:

Being the giant nerd she is for slightly sapphic anime, the wife immediately pointed out that Manon looks HIGHLY based on Utena

R.58a7f10b886a0b724f001c3d84ddccb9?rik=0

That's purely coincidental because Utena herself largely took from Oscar to begin with. Even the pink hair can be traced back to Yawara!'s Belgian jūdōka/supermodel Belkens, who in turn was based upon the real Belgian champion Ingrid Berghmans, one of the most decorated women in jūdō in the Eighties. Berghmans was a sensation in Japan because she was 180 cm (5'9'') and a frequent subject in magazines' covers, so it's not so difficult to imagine why Urasawa decided to have a jūdōka who was ALSO a supermodel in his manga.

yawara_49.jpg

ingrid-1586962799-1586962799.jpg

Edited by Miðgarðsorm

JP's Outfit 3 definitively references the "Cerulean clothes" that were introduced in chapter 1 of the SF6 comic

spacer.png

The robes are obviously a deep-hued blue (Cerulean) but that's not all. The two designs that are embroidered into the clothes are a mandala and an organic-looking heart design. The heart design is meant to reference the hero who sacrificed his own heart in the Nayshall legend.

spacer.png

On 11/17/2023 at 10:54 PM, YagamiFire said:

No problem! Though I warn you that the SF mangas are often borderline nonsensical. The KOF Manhua that were made with actual story info from SNK are actually way more coherent. Both have great art though! Enjoy!

So far I've really enjoyed SFA3 manhua. LOVED Vega/Claw's character development: getting the claw, the snake tattoo, becoming one of the four kings. Would like to see something similiar at Udon or Capcom!!!

Another question. What do all of the writings here mean?

spacer.png

23 hours ago, martinitolove said:

Another question. What do all of the writings here mean?

spacer.png

As @BornWinneralready linked Ryoredcyclone's Twitter post detailing that,

勝負あり Shōbu ari (far right, Honda's left shoulder): "victory" in Classical Japanese (literally, "the match is set"). The same writing was flashed in the background of Honda's SF2 stage.
hondasf2shobuari.jpg

日本一 Nippon ichi (or Nihon ichi; second right, Honda's back), "Best in Japan". Incidentally, it's the same catchphrase Mai Shiranui says during her winpose since Fatal Fury 2.

大一番 Ōichiban (second left, Honda's right shoulder), "The great first". The decisive match in sumō to determine the championship.

満員御礼 Man'in onrei (far left, Honda's left side), "Thanks for the full house". Banners with this writing are shown at sumō tournaments when the house is indeed full.

ryogokumanin.jpg

大入 Ōiri (Honda's shirt), "large attendance". The same writing was shown on the red lantern in the background of Honda's SF2 stage.

hodansf2oiri.jpg

11 hours ago, biachunli said:

Anyone remember the possible manga's reference for this? I read anything about this sometime, but I don't remeber the name of manga series.

Of course I remember, having already written about it at the time.

It was Ippei Kuri's manga Kurenai Sanshirō (1968), aka Judo Boy in France, Italy and Spain and O Judoca in Brazil. It was adapted into an anime series in 1969, with many details changed. The original story was the first ever in Japan to depict a muay thai villain, who killed Sanshirō's father but lost an eye in the process (two years before Kajiwara started to use so many muay thai villains in his manga who cemented the image). So Sanshirō is searching for his dad's killer but only has the clue that the killer is one-eyed. Every episode he encountered an one-eyed villain who bothered someone somewhere, but it was never his foe. Yes, the father who took the eye of his muay thai-user killer before dying is a detail Capcom recycled for DAN. Every episode, Sanshirō ALWAYS jumped into action by grabbing his kimono and wearing it in the air, so we know that Ryu should've referenced that in SF2. You also can see Abel's tornado throw in the opening. In the original manga, the villain already used the rolling heel kick who then Kajiwara copied in his Kurenai no chōsensha five years later.
Incidentally, Ippei Kuri then became TATSUNOKO's third president. He died this July at 83.

Edited by Miðgarðsorm
5 hours ago, Miðgarðsorm said:

As @BornWinneralready linked Ryoredcyclone's Twitter post detailing that,

勝負あり Shōbu ari (far right, Honda's left shoulder): "victory" in Classical Japanese (literally, "the match is set"). The same writing was flashed in the background of Honda's SF2 stage.
Hondasf2Shobuari.jpg

日本一 Nippon ichi (or Nihon ichi; second right, Honda's back), "Best in Japan". Incidentally, it's the same catchphrase Mai Shiranui says during her winpose since Fatal Fury 2.

大一番 Ōichiban (second left, Honda's right shoulder), "The great first". The decisive match in sumō to determine the championship.

満員御礼 Man'in onrei (far left, Honda's left side), "Thanks for the full house". Banners with this writing are shown at sumō tournaments when the house is indeed full.

Ryogokumanin.jpg

大入 Ōiri (Honda's shirt), "large attendance". The same writing was shown on the red lantern in the background of Honda's SF2 stage.

HodansF2OIRI.jpg

Claro que me lembro, já tendo escrito sobre isso na época.

Foi o mangá Kurenai Sanshirō (1968), de Ippei Kuri, também conhecido como Judo Boy na França, Itália e Espanha e O Judoca no Brasil. Foi adaptado para uma série de anime em 1969, com muitos detalhes alterados. A história original foi a primeira no Japão a retratar um vilão de muay thai, que matou o pai de Sanshirō, mas perdeu um olho no processo (dois anos antes de Kajiwara começar a usar tantos vilões de muay thai em seu mangá que cimentaram a imagem). Então, Sanshirō está procurando o assassino de seu pai, mas só tem a pista de que o assassino é de um olho só. A cada episódio ele encontrava um vilão de um olho só que incomodava alguém em algum lugar, mas nunca era seu inimigo. Sim, o pai que tirou o olho de seu assassino usuário de muay thai antes de morrer é um detalhe reciclado pela Capcom para DAN. A cada episódio, Sanshirō SEMPRE entrou em ação pegando seu quimono e usando-o no ar, então sabemos que Ryu deveria ter referenciado isso em SF2. Também é possível ver o tornado de Abel na abertura. No mangá original, o vilão já usava o chute de calcanhar rolante que Kajiwara copiou em seu Kurenai no chōsensha cinco anos depois.
Aliás, Ippei Kuri tornou-se então o terceiro presidente da TATSUNOKO. Morreu em julho deste ano, aos 83 anos.

Oh, thank you so much! It's the first time I watch the opening!

11 minutes ago, martinitolove said:

@Miðgarðsorm, thank you so very much! Amazingly interesting!

More questions: can you identify the dolls here, please?

And the two girls in the upper left corner here:

They are Apprentice Dolls. The three behind Seth  are Low-Rank Dolls. They first appeared in pachinko Chun-Li ni Makase China. The white hair doll is a Mid-Rank Doll and another Doll is High-Rank Doll. More about them: 

https://game.capcom.com/cfn/sfv/column-130341.html

https://game.capcom.com/cfn/sfv/column/130927?lang=en

And the three girls are Rena, Guy's fiancée, and Maki, her sister, from Final Fight 2 and Sarai Kurosawa, Ibuki's friend..

Edited by biachunli

Man, they stole my name idea.  Street Fighter Omega was what I wanted them to call the Alpha-style game where 'Everyone is Here!'

Speaking of which!  Updated my Tag Teams list.  A few sweaty combos as usual, but some of the SF6 newcomers slot in nicely.  FANG+AKI and T. Hawk+Lily were no-brainers.  And Juri revealing that she still teams up with Viper made them an obvious team.

8brDuhw.png

Edited by DarthEnderX
On 11/23/2023 at 8:23 PM, Hawkingbird said:

Here's the site with all the design notes for the costumes

https://www.streetfighter.com/6/en-us/column/detail/guest_01

Chun is wearing her casual clothes with hers

On JP

"and felt it would be a shame to not show some skin since he is such a big-framed character."

There's even an NPC in Nayshall who talks about JP's body built, saying he pass fuckton time training in the gym and that he could crush him (the NPC) with one hand

Just funny to notice they remarked that, because effectively between his finesse based style and the emphasys on ranged mystical attacks is easy to miss they built him has an absolute wrecking machine

3 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

Man, they stole my name idea.  Street Fighter Omega was what I wanted them to call the Alpha-style game where 'Everyone is Here!'

Speaking of which!  Updated my Tag Teams list.  A few sweaty combos as usual, but some of the SF6 newcomers slot in nicely.  FANG+AKI and T. Hawk+Lily were no-brainers.  And Juri revealing that she still teams up with Viper made them an obvious team.

8brDuhw.png

Wow. Where didi you get all the sprites?

11 hours ago, martinitolove said:

Thank you so very much for the dolls answer!

And then it is Rena on the second picture after all... Since when she's a ninja? Although beeing a dayghter of a Bushinryu grandmaster gives you some skills for sure. But not enogh to not beeing captured in Final Fight 1 😉

I think after Final Fight 2, in UDON's universe, she's learning bushinryu (similar to Yuri Sakazaki in Art of Fighting 2).

Thank you very much!

Regarding your idea of Street Fighter Omega. It's great but I don't believe that there will ever be a game with ALL characters in it. Each game generation has its own style and bunch of characters, that is what makes them all unique!

After all these years what's missing is a Street Fighter Alpha ultimate version with online play. For me it would be 3 Double Upper with all the modes and Eagle + Maki (minus Ingrid and unchronological Yun). Add Geki, Retsu, Lee and Joe, so Alpha can truly be counted as a successor of SF1. Plus some of the stages from Alpha 1 and 2.

When this happens I'll rest my case. But where at Capcom I should send this plea?😉

4 hours ago, martinitolove said:

It's great but I don't believe that there will ever be a game with ALL characters in it.

In order to do it, you need an art style that doesn't age.  Like using ArcSys's techniques to mimic Bengus' Alpha 3 art.  That way, you can still be releasing DLC 10 years later, and the game won't look dated.  Then you just have to...keep making it till it's done.

6 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

In order to do it, you need an art style that doesn't age.  Like using ArcSys's techniques to mimic Bengus' Alpha 3 art.  That way, you can still be releasing DLC 10 years later, and the game won't look dated.  Then you just have to...keep making it till it's done.

Does in your opinion Alpha 3 sprites art look dated? Because in mine it's not. And with the technology of today it would be easy to add any characters or stages yourself. Even remake Geki, Joe, Lee and Retsu and add some new ones. I would love to be a part of such a team of creators. And most people in this topic would be great counsellors on streamlinig the history... If Capcom would only take us onbord...

And SFIII sprites look really timeless, too. I think it's a mistake to go 3D for SF4-6. This dates quick. Capcom should really make it like Guilty Gear...

2 hours ago, martinitolove said:

Does in your opinion Alpha 3 sprites art look dated?

I mean...yes.  It's a sprite game.  And sprite games look inherently dated.

That's not to say that dated = bad.  It doesn't.  But sprite games do not look like modern games, which is the definition of dated. 

And with the technology of today it would be easy to add any characters or stages yourself.

Well that's just plain not true.  Game devs have stated many times that 3D models are much easier to make than sprites.  Making a 3D model and animating it takes less work than drawing hundreds of sprites for each character.

There's a reason why the MvC modding community is focused on UMvC3 now instead of MvC2.

And SFIII sprites look really timeless, too. I think it's a mistake to go 3D for SF4-6. This dates quick. Capcom should really make it like Guilty Gear...

I agree.  GGXrd is a freaking PS3 game and it still looks gorgeous even today.

But Xrd doesn't use sprites.  It's a 3D game.  It's art style makes it look 2D, but it's not.  It's made in Unreal Engine.

And that's what SFOmega needs.  A 3D engine game made to look like 2D concept art.

Edited by DarthEnderX