Stage Select

The Street Fighter VI Story Thread: Shadaloo Died so Luke Could Live!

29 minutes ago, ShockDingo said:

No spoilers, but the fact that they had certain characters having story related affects on their movements was awesome. I remember back in the 90s when my sister and I played Soul Blade and in Edge Master mode there were certain matches with special conditions (player is poisoned, opponent can only be hurt in air, etc), I'd love to see more of that in story modes!

I thought that was pretty interesting too and honestly I felt like they should implement more. I remember a rumor from SF6 story that mentioned that Ken had a limited moveset in his story mode due to his  experience in the story and that’s something I would have liked to see. Although due to the story structure of SF6 it wouldn’t have made much of a difference as you don’t play specifically as Ken.  I just thought that it was interesting to show how the story would affect the gameplay of a character and Tekken 8 did implement that respectfully. 

Edited by bakfromon

@ShockDingoThanks for bringing the moveset thing up. That's a high water mark for why 3D fighters are a good thing. The previous was NRS. They'd put characters not on the current games roster into story mode using the previous games animation. Tekken has a certain character missing moves for story reasons. Then has character use a moveset from previous game, a moveset of one of their teaches that AFAIK they never used prior, etc. It was love letter to Tekken fans and even as someone that isn't fan of the series, I found it endearing.

Wow, they turned Ed into actual pure boxing rep (well, beside psycho power lol), dude did'nt threaw a kick in the whole vid

New (old) stage looks pretty cool, even if not what i was hoping for

Speaking chara design the model looks pretty good, but in particular the redesign of his SFV generic white hoodie alt is really excellent, bravi

6 minutes ago, Dragonfave723 said:

We’ve seen comments asking how Ed will work with Modern Controls since his inputs were already simplified in Street Fighter V. We decided to keep his simplified inputs and incorporated them in his Modern Controls while creating expanded inputs for his Classic Controls. Ed now has quarter-circle and dragon-punch inputs for his special moves in Classic. What an edge lord, right?

Absolutely love this, hated his controls in SFV

Bit nice things

Dude learned Mashiba's flicker jab

5ABC6D9A474BA72D8FA7FAA65899A453537FA060

I think twice in two different situations (idle stance and Lv1 animation) he does the Ali shuffle lol

31d943f11728ed63cd93e45b8c613767.gif

Beside using opponent as punching bag in Lv3, also the small psycho ball/elastic psycho rope shit he does in his win cutscene is essentially

boxing_speed_ball_dual_two_speed_bag_1_4

Dude can make a boxing gym using ki 😆

Last the more i see him the more i think they may build him up to fight Luke (more precisely Ken vs JP and Luke vs Ed), they're crazy if they don't lol

1 hour ago, ShockDingo said:

I mentioned this on twitter. Do we actually know if Ed was a clone or was a kidnapped kid that got aged up? Over the years I've forgotten.

Not sure we have definitive answer but

Very first time we see him was in a shadaloo lab and already had shadaloo logo on his hand, combined with faster-aging (till physical prime) is a clones feature in SF lore i would say he's likely to be another clone made using Bison's mysterious blond/blue eyes dna

Example i don't think Dolls had faster aging, as they were "just" kidnapped, powered-up and brainwashed normal girls

Btw the head bandage he had in first encounter with Rog make me guess he just got in recent times gone under some sort of surgery to add Psycho Power into his body, the way he show it seems very unintentional

Last i guess Bison's hat there is straight  wink at ASF SFV story, where there was a scene specifically showing Chun Li observing that hat abandoned on the ground

-timestamped-

Wonder if this may hint Ed's lab stage actually is in SFV Shadaloo ASF HQ, going further with the theory the german flag (SF6 Ed)  may mean the HQ was in Germany... we know as canon thing Falke got german language influence from staff working  there (while Ed may have dodged that as was basically raised by Rog)

One thing bit strange is Ed actually abandoned the base (and Rog) in his SFV story, maybe he did'nt went much far from it?

Big hand on background may be the one that was holding the earth globe in 4 kings stage

Edited by CESTUS III
6 hours ago, ShockDingo said:

I mentioned this on twitter. Do we actually know if Ed was a clone or was a kidnapped kid that got aged up? Over the years I've forgotten.

5 hours ago, CESTUS III said:

Not sure we have definitive answer but

Very first time we see him was in a shadaloo lab and already had shadaloo logo on his hand, combined with faster-aging (till physical prime) is a clones feature in SF lore i would say he's likely to be another clone made using Bison's mysterious blond/blue eyes dna

Example i don't think Dolls had faster aging, as they were "just" kidnapped, powered-up and brainwashed normal girls

From previous discussion, we concluded he was kidnapped at a very young age. The jpn sources hint that. Ed himself mentions, on the 2018 april fools Side Reader story that he couldn't even recall the face of his parents. Also it was never mentioned of him being created from scratch in a lab, like Abel (and Seth) was. He was always mentioned as being the young who was experienced on.

The localized text mentions he was made in a lab, but I think in the jpn actually mentions he was raised, or grew up in a lab.

You're right about the Dolls, with the exception of Decapre, who is Cammy's clone.

One thing bit strange is Ed actually abandoned the base (and Rog) in his SFV story, maybe he did'nt went much far from it?

Big hand on background may be the one that was holding the earth globe in 4 kings stage

Totally looks like it, but that wouldn't make much sense. The whole place got engulfed in lava as soon Ryu, Chun-Li, Li Fen and Guile left the Inner Sanctum. The same happened with the Secret Laboratory in SFIV where that machine (BLECE?) fell to a lava lake, taking the fighters inside with it.

Wonder if this may hint Ed's lab stage actually is in SFV Shadaloo ASF HQ, going further with the theory the german flag (SF6 Ed)  may mean the HQ was in Germany... we know as canon thing Falke got german language influence from staff working  there (while Ed may have dodged that as was basically raised by Rog)

If that's the case, then SF6 Ed story might lead to him finding Falke. Remember SFV wasn't a linear story....

4 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

Seems like he just...gave up on Neo Shadaloo.  No complaints though.  Neo Shadaloo was dumb.

He did? I think that he will take over Neo Shadaloo now, even though he doesn't want to.

31 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Hey anyone understand German? I'm curious about what the lyrics of Ed's theme are. Apparently they are in German this go around.

I think @YagamiFire is from Germany. He might help.

1 hour ago, Lord_Vega said:

From previous discussion, we concluded he was kidnapped at a very young age. The jpn sources hint that. Ed himself mentions, on the 2018 april fools Side Reader story that he couldn't even recall the face of his parents. Also it was never mentioned of him being created from scratch in a lab, like Abel (and Seth) was. He was always mentioned as being the young who was experienced on.

The localized text mentions he was made in a lab, but I think in the jpn actually mentions he was raised, or grew up in a lab.

That's interesting thanks

Personally i would much prefer him being regular human with origins, rather than one more "product", so i hope you're right lol

You're right about the Dolls, with the exception of Decapre, who is Cammy's clone

I think was the contrary, iirc Decapre is older than Cammy as Decapre was the kidnapped one while Cammy was a clone of her with the addition on Bison's DNA... wich i guess is why Cammy have blue eyes?

That was also the story making me think Ed was a clone, as we know he have some Bison's DNA... so i ever thought ones with Bison's DNA were born with it, not that was "added" later

Other thing was him having faster aging in common with Cammy and Abel, wich was one lore feature of shadaloo's clones... but maybe the addition of Bison's DNA may cause it?

New SF6 description is kinda tricky at that because could be used for both scenario (the experiments can have been one through life or while creating him)

Totally looks like it, but that wouldn't make much sense. The whole place got engulfed in lava as soon Ryu, Chun-Li, Li Fen and Guile left the Inner Sanctum. The same happened with the Secret Laboratory in SFIV where that machine (BLECE?) fell to a lava lake, taking the fighters inside with it

Thought that too, but guess if they want use ASF HQ ruins as location they can just pretend not whole structure went destroyed and call it a day, i will no be much surprised lol

If that's the case, then SF6 Ed story might lead to him finding Falke. Remember SFV wasn't a linear story...

Yeah, shit was crazy

May be wrong but i think canon wise in SF6 is possible we still did'nt seen yet the "NS uniform Ed" that was standard design, and that he will get there after the SF6 Ed we seen in new trailer

Like the true "SFV Ed" was the younger one in white hoodie that abandoned Rog, is only when he became playable that they made him older/bigger and yet that version was straight wrong as it directly conflict with official ending art

Like the one defeating/abandoning Rog was still younger/skinny ASF Ed on reality, even if we play that moment as muscle Ed

In theory was still young white hoodie Ed when he found Falke

falke-sfv-story-art-by-bengus2.jpg

So i think he may have found her right after defeating/abandoning Rog, like on his way while leaving the base... that or they knew each other before his split from Rog and that caused his decision/change of mind

After all ASF Ed seems fine to work/live with Rog, we see clearly at some point he even tell Rog they could go together to work for somebody else (wich leaded to them meeting Urien)

7 hours ago, sagatryu said:

Slugger - Balrog

Outboxer - Dudley

Swarmer - Ed

Street Fighter officially  has three boxing styles.

Fun thing considering he trained Ed, Rog have lot of swarmer too... two boxers wich styles remind me Rog the most are Tyson (of course lol) and Marciano, both were considered swarmers (even if Tyson peek a boo was harder to fit in a box)

What crack me up is Ed learning from Rog lot of tricks we never seen Rog himself do, as if Rog (usually shown as brainless brute) have more deep boxing knowledge than we thought, but fight like he does because fit himself best

But is also possible Ed looked also elsewhere to learn boxing... curious fact is if we want give importance to the look of things, Ed boxing IMPROVED (and became more "pure") AFTER leaving Rog lol

Ps: kinda random but seem right post to comment how awesome both SF6 Ed throws are

Both as execution and concept wise

That second outfit should have been his main since Street Fighter 5. It's just perfect!

Love the new gameplay and that they made him a pure boxer. Much better than SF5, but I've yet to see Capcom miss with a character in this game, so I kind of expected them to improve Ed. I trust them with their choices by now.

The stage also looks very cool! 

Can't wait to see his interactions in World Tour mode and maybe learn more about what happened to Neo-Shadaloo.

That Ed trailer has me incredibly hyped. Everything I could have wanted for him has been addressed. He looks better, moves seem more coherent, he's pure boxing, his stage is pure fire.

Man, what a step-up. This will definitely be pulling me deep into SF6.

Also I agree with everything @Darc_Requiemsaid about the Tekken story. I'm a big Tekken fan and it felt really good to play and the ending with the way they incorporated characters, story arcs, music and even MOVE LISTS going back years and years ago was just incredible. Genuine story-telling through move-set. How cool is that?

6 hours ago, CESTUS III said:

I think was the contrary, iirc Decapre is older than Cammy as Decapre was the kidnapped one while Cammy was a clone of her with the addition on Bison's DNA... wich i guess is why Cammy have blue eyes?

That doesn't make sense though, because Decapre's disfigurement is a result of some flaw in her creation process.

I don't think either Cammy OR Decapre is the "original", if there even is one.  I think they're both artificial. 

6 hours ago, CESTUS III said:

Thought that too, but guess if they want use ASF HQ ruins as location they can just pretend not whole structure went destroyed and call it a day, i will no be much surprised lol

I don't care which lab it is.  I just want it to have a remix of SF4's Crumbling Lab theme... 

35 minutes ago, YagamiFire said:

Genuine story-telling through move-set. How cool is that?

Almost as cool as the first time I saw it.  When it was called Metal Gear Solid 4!

Edited by DarthEnderX
3 minutes ago, DarthEnderX said:

That doesn't make sense though, because Decapre's disfigurement is a result of some flaw in her creation process.

I don't think either Cammy OR Decapre is the "original", if there even is one.  I think they're both artificial.

No, Decapre's disfigurement is because she was the experimental equivalent of a whipping boy for Cammy. They tried experiments on Decapre first before risking them on Cammy. They even show this USF4. Where Decapre, in her flash back comforts Cammy and "It's alright. Your big sister is right here." It's honestly one things that helped soften my view on Decapre as character. As an older brother, being protective of my younger brother when we were kids was something my dad drilled into me. I'm glad he did.

5 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

We have no idea what caused her face scar, but we know it's  not skin anomaly caused by creation gone wrong (IF was created), as we have vid confirming at some point when she was young she had no scars on her face

(timestamped)

I'm more inclined to consider it a scar, also because in some concept sketches they considered various types of scars and seems clear were meant to show she went through violent shit

The one that became canon to me seem burning type, some were more like slashes cuts

Guess if somebody can translate the notes  we may gain some new info on that

2489706-usfiv_decapre7.jpg

I think could have been easily because Shadaloo test hard af their members even before the battlefield, see example how Abel gone through LOT of shit (maybe the SF char with most scars) likely because canon wise he was considered very expendable

Is possible Decapre being seen as less useful than Cammy had harder time too

5 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

Idk i think they took Decapre and cloned her adding Bison's DNA to the mix, so Cammy end up having blue eyes as all other characters that have been confirmed to have Bison's DNA (Abel, Ed, Falke)

Also not being a clone would not have saved her from go through super harsh training, we know they do it on regular people too, see example how hard Birdie was tested even if he was already estabilished as powerful fighter that Shadaloo knew since SFA days

maxresdefault.jpg

@CESTUS IIIYeah based on the dolls naming scheme. Decapre would be the original. All of the dolls with month based names were kidnap victims with names based on their country of origin. IIRC Decapre's face scar came from an equipment malfunction. The test machine she was in had a failure, caught fire, and scarred her face. That's from senile old ass memory so I couldn't tell you were I recall it from.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
18 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

Seems like he just...gave up on Neo Shadaloo.  No complaints though.  Neo Shadaloo was dumb.

But he wear Neo Shadaloo symbol on his standard SF6 design

Maybe not best pic to show it but

luke-sf6-early-concept-art.png

above the owl on the back and on the badge on his chest you can see a symbol made of two thunders (one big of metal, second smaller carved as an hole in the first), wich are rotated in a way that first horizontal look like a stylized "N" and second vertical as a "S", the initials of Neo Shadaloo 😁

We will, hopefully, find out shortly but I don't think Neo Shadaloo is dead by any means. Ed seems to be on the run because he's the chief target of the Shadaloo remnants. Given a key aspect of his story is him traveling the world to rescue other Shadaloo experiments, he'd want to avoid drawing attention to them. If he's on his own, they'll chase him and leave everyone else alone. If I had to guess, he probably left Falke in charge while figures out the best way to handle the remnants of Shadaloo.

13 hours ago, Shakunetsu said:

The stage resembles the SIN stage from SF4 but I’m thinking it’s distinctly different. The S.I.N stage was to make Seth clones so I’m thinking this stage is the Shadaloo equivalent for Bison. All the test subjects in the tubes are candidate bodies for Bison that are being imbued with Psycho Power. 

Bison was resurrected in one of those test tubes in the beginning of SF4. 

14 hours ago, JohnJ said:

In Ed’s V debut blog, it’s noted he was “kidnapped at a young age” - https://news.capcomusa.com/lets/browse/the-young-commander-ed-joins-street-fighter-v

Yep! However, things coming from capcom usa are usually taken with a grain of salt... unless it's from a jpn producer/director. Even in SFV there are things that were wrong in the localization....

19 hours ago, CESTUS III said:

That was also the story making me think Ed was a clone, as we know he have some Bison's DNA... so i ever thought ones with Bison's DNA were born with it, not that was "added" later

That was the initial thought back when SFZ3 came out. Decapre resembled like Cammy because of her hair (pigtails). Since it was said that she hails from Russia, it was a safe bet that she was kidnapped, enhanced like Juni and Juli and that a clone was made with Vega/Bison's DNA in the mix.

However... when Decapre was revealed in Ultra Street Fighter IV, producer Tomoaki Ayano gave the following statement: "We plan to talk more about her play style and abilities in the future, but for today we’d like to explore her story. For those not in the know, DECAPRE IS A CLONE OF CAMMY. At a quick glance she does look like a scary Cammy with a mask."

Two years later, Street Fighter V director Takayuki Nakayama, answered a question about the matter a few weeks after A Shadow Falls was released  (open X to see the trend):

capwpanda: I'm sorry, but I'd like to know which is the big sister, Cammy or Decapre?

takaNakayama: Don't know if "big sister" is the correct term, but Cammy is the oldest. It's defined (Decapre) as a clone of Cammy.

capwpanda: Is there a reason for them having different birthdates? I thought that Decapre was the oldest because of her appearance and close birthdates...

takaNakayama: I feel there' s a one year difference. Shadaloo is known for controlling the aging speed. Like with Abel.

Since Cammy DOES have a birthyear or age mentioned in some games (16 yo while she was at Shadaloo and 19yo during SF2, also her dog tag mentioned this info even during the Zero era), she might not have been submitted to aging speed... unlike Decapre.

About the clones being blond with blue eyes.... it's actually less DNA meddling. I'm no geneticist, but you need to activate several genes in order to get darker phenotypes.

That's the same reason the first clones (as far we know) were females (remember Dolly? Hum, Dolls, Dolly, Dolly Parton., big breasts, Juli....).

20 hours ago, CESTUS III said:

Other thing was him having faster aging in common with Cammy and Abel, wich was one lore feature of shadaloo's clones... but maybe the addition of Bison's DNA may cause it?

I don't think so. They age faster to age of combat (circa 15-18 years) and to be able to use some Psycho Power. That's the case with Ed, he was able to use it when he got rescued by Bison/Balrog while pretty young, his powers grew as he got older (he even tried to "Psycho Shot" Urien), and when the aging process got complete, he can snatch his opponents with Psycho Web. LOL

20 hours ago, CESTUS III said:

Could also be under Ring of Power stage....

15 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

9 hours ago, CESTUS III said:

We have no idea what caused her face scar, but we know it's  not skin anomaly caused by creation gone wrong (IF was created), as we have vid confirming at some point when she was young she had no scars on her face

(timestamped)

I'm more inclined to consider it a scar, also because in some concept sketches they considered various types of scars and seems clear were meant to show she went through violent shit

The one that became canon to me seem burning type, some were more like slashes cuts

Guess if somebody can translate the notes  we may gain some new info on that

2489706-usfiv_decapre7.jpg

I think could have been easily because Shadaloo test hard af their members even before the battlefield, see example how Abel gone through LOT of shit (maybe the SF char with most scars) likely because canon wise he was considered very expendable

It's not degeneration from her creation. Besides, have you guys ever noticed that Decapre's USF4 mask has a crack right where Cammy's left cheek scar is?

Probably Decapre got her face burnt from a mission or even training. However, I really would like to know what Psycho Contamination is....

About the scars, those are just production notes and instructions of how it should look (darker rougher, etc). The top right even mentions "something sharp. Balrog/Vega?"

4 hours ago, bakfromon said:

The stage resembles the SIN stage from SF4 but I’m thinking it’s distinctly different. The S.I.N stage was to make Seth clones so I’m thinking this stage is the Shadaloo equivalent for Bison. All the test subjects in the tubes are candidate bodies for Bison that are being imbued with Psycho Power. 

Bison was resurrected in one of those test tubes in the beginning of SF4. 

Actually, the S.I.N. stage wasn't for making Seths. That was in a secret lab where Mike Bison was in charge to take care.

The actual stage is actually a exact description of what Smart/Smalt Raven before finding Vega, but i don't think it's the same location.

So following Ed's reveal, I kept thinking about it and came to the conclusion that Ed and Falke should have just been combined into one character.

Having a female boxer, with Ed's SF6 moveset from the start, would have done a lot to warrant the character a spot in the roster.

While I don't necessarily agree with the criticism that Ed reduced other boxer's chances to be in the game (especially since now he borrows a little more from Dudley, whit the dash backs and whatnot), I can see the point that three boxers is a bit much, when there are so many other untapped martial arts they could represent. 

But if the third boxer was a girl, well, that just tilts the balance even more in favour of actually having it as a new character.

There was already some ambiguity from Barlog's endings in SF4 if the child was a boy or a girl, so Capcom certainly could've made whatever move they wanted. 

I'm sorry for Falke but she was really forgettable and while I'm sure if they give her a cool redesign and revamp her gameplay she could be cool as well, but I really think this would've worked so well.

Maybe in SF10, when they'll add Ed and Falke's daughter lol

Edited by Dracu
12 hours ago, Lord_Vega said:

Yep! However, things coming from capcom usa are usually taken with a grain of salt... unless it's from a jpn producer/director. Even in SFV there are things that were wrong in the localization....

Ed’s Japanese blog post (by Producer Kansuke Sakurai) for his arrival in 6 also notes that “In the past, he was captured by SIN” - so it seems pretty concrete? 

https://blog.ja.playstation.com/2024/02/09/20240209-sf6/

13 hours ago, biachunli said:

Well, the owl with a laurel wreath and N.S.  (Neo Shadaloo).

spacer.png

The owl and the laurel wreath are more positive symbols than Shadaloo.

What i love most of that symbol is how many layers to read it have

Example the thunder is same that was on skull forehead

tU0VYdhRgjOkYUJszduxPAlzdghBx2RBY0gZy0-d

So having it as a Shadaloo symbol, the second thunder of NS emblem being carved, an hole like a crack on shadaloo's thunder it's like symbolize Shadaloo's destruction

Also the owl (wisdom/enlightment?) is cool because they literally used as base the old symbol (round owl's body more or less where the skull was) trying to turn it into something good

Another thing that got me intrigued it's how ambiguous is JP's golden pin, seem can be wink at NS owl, but unlike Ed's owl it's not clear and could be something else (i would say a bat)

Screenshot-2024-02-10-205619.png

SF can truly be cool with emblems, i remember also Kolin/Helen emblem mixing Gill with a version of Kiev's coat of arms in SFV

Another interesting is SF6 symbol of Masters Foundation wich imply kinda hard that the society (and even Ken possibly, as he wear it) is part of Freemasonry lol

de03_3_sp.jpg9atem71z3u1c1.jpg

wich due the compass wink hard at freemasonry real world symbol

Masons-logo-no-background.png

14 hours ago, Lord_Vega said:

That was the initial thought back when SFZ3 came out. Decapre resembled like Cammy because of her hair (pigtails). Since it was said that she hails from Russia, it was a safe bet that she was kidnapped, enhanced like Juni and Juli and that a clone was made with Vega/Bison's DNA in the mix.

However... when Decapre was revealed in Ultra Street Fighter IV, producer Tomoaki Ayano gave the following statement: "We plan to talk more about her play style and abilities in the future, but for today we’d like to explore her story. For those not in the know, DECAPRE IS A CLONE OF CAMMY. At a quick glance she does look like a scary Cammy with a mask."

That's cool, thanks

About the clones being blond with blue eyes.... it's actually less DNA meddling. I'm no geneticist, but you need to activate several genes in order to get darker phenotypes.

That's the same reason the first clones (as far we know) were females (remember Dolly? Hum, Dolls, Dolly, Dolly Parton., big breasts, Juli....).

Yeah i'm no genetist either, but ever thought for narrative needs of anime karate fantasy they will just dumb down and simplify stuff, to give "explanation" to things that even if don't make much sense in real world science make sense in SFV universe/lore

For that reason i ever thought the blond/blue eyes is kinda implied "rule" they apply on character design of Bison's DNA (Cammy, Abel, Ed, Falke)

Curious thing is eyes color are one of few elements to differentiate Decapre (green in SF4, amber in SFV/SF6) from Cammy's blue ones

I don't think so. They age faster to age of combat (circa 15-18 years) and to be able to use some Psycho Power. That's the case with Ed, he was able to use it when he got rescued by Bison/Balrog while pretty young, his powers grew as he got older (he even tried to "Psycho Shot" Urien), and when the aging process got complete, he can snatch his opponents with Psycho Web. LOL

Yeah i think also for simply physical abilities, they need them to reach fast some level of athleticism too

Btw regardless if is age or PP growing inside him like a cancer, seems clear SF6 Ed's amount of ki is huge compared to SFV days

Think how easily Urien squashed with one hand the psycho shot you mentioned, watch now similar size  ki sphere causing huge explosion in SF6 😆

(timestamped)

On 2/9/2024 at 3:21 PM, CESTUS III said:

I didn't think it happened during her creation.  I thought it was because of clone degeneration as a result of Psycho Power.

On 2/9/2024 at 3:49 PM, CESTUS III said:

But he wear Neo Shadaloo symbol on his standard SF6 design

Yeah, the blog says he's still part of Neo Shadaloo too.

Oh well.  Neo Shadaloo is seriously some Blue Umbrella level dumb naming shit.

"We hate Nazis and want to dedicate our organization to eradicating Nazis and helping the victims of Nazis."
"What's your organization called?"
"New Nazis."

Edited by DarthEnderX
7 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

Yeah, the blog says he's still part of Neo Shadaloo too.

Oh well.  Neo Shadaloo is seriously some Blue Umbrella level dumb naming shit.

"We hate Nazis and want to dedicate our organization to eradicating Nazis and helping the victims of Nazis."
"What's your organization called?"
"New Nazis."

I find it funny too, mostly because it's hard give "Shadaloo"  any positive meaning, considering while we don't have official  origin/meaning of the word guess the "shadow" part is at least hinted. Not sure how confirmed is the "shadowlaw" thing as original meaning, but i like it as give great sense of obscure dictatorship

But overall i like it, specially if as we expect Ed will end up corrupted and Neo Shadaloo even starting with best intentions will end up be something evil/negative

Guess the point may be that they understand Psycho Power is bad, but they're still willing to use it because it's what make them powerful so they don't renounce use it, and try to defend their choice with others (and themselves?) saying "yeah, but we will do good stuff with it)

It's like name itself have been picked "wrong" from the start, as to suggest how much naive is think you can use an evil source to do good things

3 hours ago, biachunli said:

I'm write a post in my blog now and has anyone else noticed that Ed has white eyes and an evil smile in his Critical Art 2? 

spacer.png

For me, this is an indication of Bison's influence. Apparently, when Ed's Psycho Power turns purely purple, his"dark side" is activated.

I think it's supposed to show him briefly losing hold on Psycho Power

He does it also in a win (mid rounds) cutscene

Had the thought when we see the purple/azure mix colors is supposed to mean his ki is somehow the expression of his natural energy/good side as azure Soul Power, mixed wih the purple Psycho Power that was put inside him

After all origin of Bison's Psycho Power was being a Soul Power master that got corrupted... so maybe Ed being a Bison clone (so starting from the base that still was'nt corrupted) may natural develop Soul Power type of ki?

Btw in this specific case* guess the full white eyes are supposed to suggest Ed risk to lose himself into PP kinda like Bison did in the past

Think visually the origin was Yasunori Kato showing his "oni face"

OniFace.jpg

*said this specific case because bunch of very different characters in SF got full white eyes without ever touch Psycho shit like Dhalsim, Rolento, Gen, Sagat and guess more lol

I'm curious to see desperate version of his Lv3

Trailer one mix purple and blue, but i believe when pushed close to lose all health (desperate Lv3) Ed will change mood and ki color

After all origin of Bison's Psycho Power was being a Soul Power master that got corrupted... so maybe Ed being a Bison clone (so starting from the base that still was'nt corrupted) may natural develop Soul Power type of ki?

Source?

7 hours ago, CESTUS III said:

I remember that japaneses books, Bison learn Psycho Power with his master (and Bison killed him) not Soul Power.

spacer.png

spacer.png

An Ed isn't a clone, he's a boy kidnapped and experimented on it using Bison DNA.

4 hours ago, Lord_Vega said:

Source?

Just checked SF wiki (Rose's page) to see where if there's confirmation of her student-master relationship with Bison

Found this

Rose has a strong hatred for Bison due to his immoral actions. Before M. Bison pursued Psycho Power, he was once Rose's master and passed down his knowledge of Soul Power onto her.[5] With his Psycho Power being the dark side of Soul Power, she seeks to stop him despite not wanting to due to their previous relationship.[6]

5 - ""Why did you become able to handle such [power]?" She doesn't say much. According to some information, she has learned how to use [Soul Power] for several years from a person she calls [master]."(なぜそのような[力]を扱えるようになったのか? 彼女は多くを語ろうとはしない。ある情報によれば,彼女が[師]と呼ぶ人物に数年間[力]の使い方を学んだらしい。) from All About Street Fighter ZERO page 011

6 - Rose: I didn’t want to take you down this way/like this…The master from the past … Now … must be killed with these hands …(ロ ー ズ 「 こ ん な 形 で あ な た を 倒 し た くは な か っ た ・・・・・・・。 か つ て の 師 ・・・・・・ で も 今 は・・・・・こ の 手 で 殺 め な く て は な ら な い ・・・・・」) from All About Street Fighter ZERO3 page 428

Even if to be fair them saying "Psycho Power being the dark side of Soul Power" is'nt directly proven by these sources, but we have confirmation (Bison Page) Bison at some point was a Soul Power user, and that was even somehow critical about that it's effectiveness

Rose was once M. Bison's disciple. He taught Rose how to utilise Soul Power along with warning her of it's weaknesses.[20]

20 latest?cb=20200626180201

The wiki add that Rose's SP being connected to Bison's PP, made the former a compatible body host despite not being one of his clones, but they don't add source for it

Due to Rose holding a power similar to his own, her body makes a suitable temporary vessel for Bison whenever his body is destroyed.

Then we are told that he murdered his master, who was said to be the only individual able to use Psycho Power (the idea of a SP master who can also use PP, imho mirror how Goutetsu could use normal hado ki, but also switch to SnH) who teached it to them

However, in order to be the best in the world of martial arts, M. Bison murdered his own master before giving in to complete chaos. M. Bison's master was said to be the only known person in the world who could manipulate the evil power known as "Psycho Power" at the time and it is also said that, before his death, M. Bison's master passed the power to only three other students, M. Bison himself being one of them.[2]

2 https://streetfighter.fandom.com/wiki/Street_Fighter:_World_Warrior_Encyclopedia_Hardcover

Here's the thing

Either at some point in late life he knew a different new master that teached him PP (and at this point Bison already was a SP master, enough skilled to teach SP to Rose), or the man who was his Soul Power master could handle also Psycho Power because are two side of same medal (as said before, kinda like Goutetsu case)

Consider we never had info about Bison starting to follow a different/new master, i'm inclined to believe the latter case

This is imho where corruption happened, Bison killed his Master and switched to the evil side of his ki, kinda like Akuma killed Goutetsu embracing SnH path

I don't know how much the added source confirms it (specially considering back to SF2, capcom did'nt invented yet SP), but they came to similar conclusion insisting on PP being the "dark side" of SP

Nothing is known about the history of Psycho Power and the users before the time of Shadaloo, including how M. Bison obtained the secrets of Soul Power's negative aspects, except that it is amplified by negative emotions such as hatred,[1] and that to master it one must purge all good and light within oneself.

1 - https://streetfighter.fandom.com/wiki/Street_Fighter_II_Complete_File

An important one may be SF4 prologue where she claim to have "same power" as him, would be curious to know what words were used in the original japanese version though

"No matter how many times I attempt to read the future, the answer is always the same. Only the Fool Card can stand up to him. It is the Card of Freedom and Beginnings... The Card of Reckless Heroism. I may be able to stop him temporarily, but I simply cannot destroy him, for I hold the same power inside me that Bison has. The fate of this card lies in the hands of one man. But he cannot act, until the stars align to herald his coming. I can only protect him, guide him, offer aid in his quest to destroy Bison. This will be my last mission."

Then hope it's useful we have Oro (in his side reader story with Sim) saying that all form of ki are "connected"

"Psycho Power, Ki, the power of Yoga, the Satsui no Hado."

And Soul Power too, Dhalsim added silently. Oro closed his eyes and rested his chin on his hand, muttering.

"You know what I think? These powers are all the same, when you follow them to their root."

Oro raised a finger, and continued his thought.

"I do not claim they are completely the same. Merely connected. The same, but different."

but we know in SF canon some types of ki are "more" connected to each other, as if the switch from one to other is more likely

See how Ansatsuken techniques may lead to end up to fall into SnH if the individual get corrupted like happened to Akuma (similar reason Gouken kicked Dan out of the dojo)

One interesting thing is that some of Rose's most iconic specials seem to remind concept behind Bison's ones, just some stuff i can think

- Rose's Soul Spiral is a forward moving "drill" attack at opponent's chest, kinda like Bison's Psycho Crusher does

- Rose's SFA throw (Soul Drain in SFV) kinda reminding how Devil Reverse have you attack opponent's head with your hands while being upside down above him

-In SFV they both have fthrow involving use telekinesis to lift opponent before slam (Rose) or strike (Bison) him

-They both have special to absorb or reflect projectiles, wich beside rare exceptions (Urien's Aegis, but works differently imho) is kinda unique trait

-They both teleport, wich beside rare exceptions (Dhalsim does it with Yoga) is another rare skill

and probably bunch more i'm forgetting😄

Also it's worth say that while we don't see Bison do it directly, we know (as Falke got it as one of the 4 Bison's abilities) he can fill objects of PP to deliver ki powered attacks

This skill is the way Soul Power users fight (Rose he scarf, Menat her crystal ball and Maggio likely his yo-yo)

Most of other Psycho Power chars do it too... Falke and JP their sticks, Decapre her blade

Ed does'nt and use his hands, but that's because unlike Falke of the 4 Bison's abilities he got fill his own body with PP* and is unable to do same with objects, just like in theory Falke is unable to use her body to generate PP

JP in some way seems to have all 4 listed traits that the 4 Neo Shadaloo chars got: PP from the body (rare but does it), PP through object, Teleport, Superior intellect(?)

That's more or less same for Rose, she can use SP with her hands (rare but does it), SP through object, Teleport, and she posses special mental abilities such as future telling

The two types of ki/fighting styles sharing many points and similarities is important to connect them, as we know style wise Capcom does the same with normal hado ki next to SnH

*wonder if beside him being the one who found Ed, Rog was allowed to be his master... guess knowing wich power he gave to Ed, Bison thought of his current generals (Rog, Vega and later FANG)  Rog was the one more qualified to teach an hand-to-hand type fighting, since Vega rely also on his claw and FANG on his poison.

Cool thing not only make me wonder again if JP was one who teached her la canne style back in Shadaloo HQ days

And if we go even more back if indeed Vega played a role at teach Decapre how to fight with these wrist blades (maybe the many slash scars in one of SF4 concepts were supposed to be the result of harsh lessons?) and reason she was made wear a metal mask to cover scars, wich as we said some pages ago could have been easily a Vega's idea

Edited by CESTUS III

Little note forgot to add (but said in the past many times), guess Rose-Bison relationship is based on JoJo's Lisa Lisa with Straizo

Considering we know how much Rose was shameless ripped from Lisa Lisa, the coincidences are bit too many to be ignored lol

Not so long, but after previous long ass post will put at least this under spoiler lol

Spoiler

-Straizo trained Lisa, teaching her a form of positive ki called "ripple/hamon" (well this is easy)

-This power granted both much slower aging so she looks in her 20s while being in her 50s (is possible Rose herself in SF may be older than she looks)

-Straizo when training Lisa have already been bit impressed/corrupted by evil side since he seen Dio's dark powers (mirror to Bison apparently telling Rose to find SP someway weak)

-Straizo when training Lisa also had one elder Master, and there was two disciples who were same level as him under that master (same thing we have been told about Bison's past)

-Straizo wish for power, eternal youth and immortality offered by evil power, so killed bunch of people including fellow disciples and became a monster

Just to show how JoJo love when talking about Soul Power arc is'nt limited to Rose herself

-Lisa Lisa have two young students, Caesar and Joseph (Rose have Menat and Maggio)

-One of the two students is italian (even if is "the other" if we consider Maggio as a Joseph wannabe lol)

-Caesar was there first and is more skilled at use ki (Menat)

-Caesar power take the form of transparent bubbles he can use to strike opponent from distance (how Menat use her crystal ball)

-Joseph as weapon channel his ki use a toy, clackers, wich is small steel balls linked with a thin chain (parallel with Maggio likely using a yo-yo wich is a similar mechanic toy)

-Joseph various designs likely influenced Maggio's design by Kiki

Some elements on the left, colors on the right

582f7b16373d7149d59a565a4501224a.jpgMaggio.jpgdesktop-wallpaper-official-joseph-jojo-j

4 hours ago, biachunli said:

I remember that japaneses books, Bison learn Psycho Power with his master (and Bison killed him) not Soul Power.

spacer.png

Add this here, hope it works as reply 😁

Dropped in this long ass post above everything i've found on the matter

If you don't want to read it all, short version is

Bison as some point was Soul Power user and the one to teach it to Rose.

Bison had a Master that teached him and two other guys Psycho Power, but we have no indication so far it is or is'nt the same Master who also teached him Soul Power to begin with... after all Goutetsu was Master of both Gouken and Akuma, and they learned both types of ki from him (who was said to be able to use both)

spacer.png

An Ed isn't a clone, he's a boy kidnapped and experimented on it using Bison DNA.

Yeah i think somebody in previous page found also another source supporting this iirc (or i'm making confusion with whole argument on Decapre lol)

Btw if confirmed good news, i like SF to be made of normal people born from various countries, rather than get spam of lab experiments and then capcom making up their nationality with narrative excuses like Cammy's UK or Abel's France lol

Wonder if Ed SF6 german flag is related to his place of birth or current place

Falke had multiple connections to Germany, but whole capcom argument was some bullshit like "people in her area of Shadaloo base spoke german" or something like that lol

Edited by CESTUS III

Um that excerpt talks about him being a replacement body and specifically contrasts him as not a normal human due to his aging. He's a replacement body, not a kidnapped boy. The one that took Ed was 'Bison' aka Balrog. I think there's some strange mistranslation going on.

14 hours ago, YagamiFire said:

Um that excerpt talks about him being a replacement body and specifically contrasts him as not a normal human due to his aging. He's a replacement body, not a kidnapped boy. The one that took Ed was 'Bison' aka Balrog. I think there's some strange mistranslation going on.

Reposting for ease of access. With respect, he is definitely a kidnapped boy - both Capcom US and Japan confirm him as such, albeit one who was experimented on: 

In Ed’s V debut blog, it’s noted he was “kidnapped at a young age” - https://news.capcomusa.com/lets/browse/the-young-commander-ed-joins-street-fighter-v

And Ed’s Japanese blog post (by Producer Kansuke Sakurai) for his arrival in 6 also notes that “In the past, he was captured by SIN” 

https://blog.ja.playstation.com/2024/02/09/20240209-sf6/