Stage Select

The Street Fighter VI Story Thread: Shadaloo Died so Luke Could Live!

3 minutes ago, Daemos said:

That's probably what JP is doing @CESTUS IIIbut to what end is important?

Bison was a fighter at his core and just like Akuma or Ryu wanted to be the strongest. His method of forcing the world into fighting was a means to get the best fighters to come at him (which he succeeded in doing) so he can fight.

JP isn't as interesting in being a fighter it seems, and the accumulation of money on its own is rather poor ironically as a motivation. We'll see what he's really after if anything at all.

Eternal life may be a motivation, we need to know if he's just old or he's living an innatural long existence with PP keeping him alive, and on general why does'nt seem to need change body despite being an old and powerful PP user

Another reason may be simple ambition to reach absolute (psycho)power, not much different from Bison's goal but very different path to reach it

I don't think JP would be against impose his will (also with force) when he's in the position of absolute advantage, i think he's against enter in open conflict when there still a chance of lose (the part that make him consider Bison a madman)

One thing i find interessing is how his PP takes human-like shapes, like hands, arms and even an half figure, give me vibes JP is in some way the "owner" of people he feed on (to death?) in the past, maybe even tricking them into sell their souls to him, like an old fable devil

If that's the case would remind me how in Hellsing the measure of Dracula's power was literally sum of the millions of lives he took through centuries, would be cool

1 hour ago, DarthEnderX said:

That wouldn't be cool at all, because it would just make JP the final boss of Fighting Layer...

Vold (Fighting Layer)

Did'nt played FL, just seen some vids, so do'nt know much about the guy... but if he's literally a bloodsucking vampire, it's not what i'm talking about

Kalima called him a "vampire" as figurative insult to describe him as a ruthless businessman/criminal who will completely consume the country wealth, "suck it up dry"... what i'm saying is that if JP like Bison can feed on local population consuming their negative psychic energy through Psycho Power ways, her accusation of him being a vampire could be closer to truth than she imagined 😄

We got strong hint she had no idea what kind of monster she's dealing with when she thought herself+knife was good enough army to face him lol

I'm even having the guess that not only he leave countries he ruin because longer stay higher is the chance of get exposed as evil and the cause of everything going to shit... i'm thinking he also may leave because peak of negative emotions must be the moment nation collapse and there's the fall (kinda like Black Moons thing*)... after a period people starts get used to shit life, and while general mood is still negative maybe JP realize the peak is gone and looks for next country to ruin

If you think about it, according to Li Fen he target relatively normal nations and seems he even actively make things get better for everybody for a while , wich probably increase the shock when he make suddently the country fall in pieces

Would be very cool if as PP Master he live to experience that very moment over and over, nation after nation

*but perceived by rest of the world as a sad, but "normal" thing

Edited by CESTUS III
46 minutes ago, CESTUS III said:

Eternal life may be a motivation, we need to know if he's just old or he's living an innatural long existence with PP keeping him alive, and on general why does'nt seem to need change body despite being an old and powerful PP user

Because he's mid. Probably doesn't exert himself and probably doesn't switch bodies which is a uniquely Bison thing. Bison became one with Psycho Power, evil incarnate, that is why he can do what he does. He paid the ultimate price.

JP isn't that kind from what it seems. He may have honed his abilities in a specific direction to get the most out of PP with the least risk, but I don't think he's not a literal vampire. Think you are reading too much into it as there is no evidence that PP even gives you eternal life. Bison's soul is immortal, but his body or bodies are not. This guy is just old.

Also JP's "spirits" are clones according to the game. They are basically like Rose's Illusions but stylized/utilized differently. Bison has demonstrated the ability to create these illusions in comics and games before also.

The one ability that JP is doing that is truly confirmed to be unique is summoning the "thorns" as the game calls them from that place that Bison goes to. We've seen Bison before entering and leaving this place through portals, but we've ever seen something come out of them. They look truly alien and is a demonstration of PP we've never seen before.

What is this place in between worlds? What are those thorns? They remind me of of Otama=Raga from KoF.

12 minutes ago, Daemos said:

Think you are reading too much into it as there is no evidence that PP even gives you eternal life. Bison's soul is immortal, but his body or bodies are not. This guy is just old.

Thing is we don't know if this guy is supposed to be as old as Bison and, in that case, how old Bison actually is supposed to be

We do know that Rose (as wink to Lisa Lisa) thanks to SP looks much younger than her real age

SP and PP are deeply connected, and JP seems even to use his PP more in a Rose way than a Bison one

JP is literally a media machine combined with unscrupulous 'philanthropists'

He claims to want to help developing nations but really just exploits them while controlling narrative surrounding them...and in doing so creates misery and social upheaval with the pain that follows all for no reason other than to consolidate his own power.

Bison used the iron fist, JP utilizes the soft power of social manipulation. He's exactly the sort of person I despise. At least Bison admits to what he is and will face people on that level. JP pretends to be benevolent when he's the worst kind of person possible. Great villain.

1 hour ago, CESTUS III said:

Thing is we don't know if this guy is supposed to be as old as Bison and, in that case, how old Bison actually is supposed to be

Bison is old especially if we’re to use his original body. T.Hawk remembered Bison when he was a child. THawk was born in 59 and his encounter with Bison is still the oldest canon SF event to happen. JP even knows about this event judging from his won quote to Lily.  Even Bison’s newer body was showing signs of grey hair but that maybe because of the advanced aging process. 

Anyway, Bison was already a young man when he encountered THawk as a child. If this was during the 60’s then by the time SF6 happened Bison would be old. JP is probably as old as Bison if he would have kept his original body.

The more I learned about JP over these past 4 issues, the more he reminds me of a certain political destabilizer. At the risk of getting too far into real life matters, I won’t mention who it is. JP certainly isn’t a veritable madman but dang does he know how to con. Looking forward to understanding his reasons. I swear the first thing I’m doing when I pull up the game is fire up Arcade and go play as Ken and JP, finish the rest of the characters and play WTM. 

That's quite an exaggeration. 🙂

While it's nice that they took the time to make this focused comic story, it's not comparable to the production values SF4 made for story materials prior to its release. We also still don't know if the quality of the writing in-game matches or exceeds the comic.

Going by Cammy's arcade ending, I am keeping my expectations grounded.

Edited by Daemos

I’m not exaggerating, just stating my opinion. Maybe it’s been too long since I’ve seen everything… Seth and Bison are solid villains, but the pathos behind the story did not hit nearly as strong as the comic, which is a big deal. I got hit in the feels with JP screwing Ken over in a way that I didn’t experience with Ryu during either previous story. I feel like a close second would be the SSF4 anime. 

31 minutes ago, Daemos said:

While it's nice that they took the time to make this focused comic story, it's not comparable to the production values SF4 made for story materials prior to its release. We also still don't know if the quality of the writing in-game matches or exceeds the comic.

The thing is SF4 didn’t advance the story whatsoever. They kept everything before SF3 for two iterations of the game to keep the story safe from advancing. 

Sure they gave us two anime movies, but these anime weren’t giving us much in terms of new plot values. Apart from the Juri focused anime, TtB was just a rehash of the plot SF2 and Alpha  gave us with the inclusion of Seth as a stand in antagonist for Bison. 

Seth was just a pawn for Bison to be used. Sure he gave an eloquent speech about how power is gained by different means, whether it be through wealth, beauty, or violence. Though we know this is just an extension of Bison’s will and thought process and still stuck in the past of SF

SF6 in story terms is what story fans have been asking for since SF4 was announced and that was to proceed with the future plot. No more interlude now we have a sequel. The villain has evolved to become interesting and is actually someone that fans now despise. 

Unlike Gill and Seth he’s dressed to impress. People who should despise him are subsequently used as pawns to do his dirty work like Ken and Luke. He uses the means of society and technology to his advantage. He’s already felled one of the main stories protagonist before the main story even begins. He beat Ken without lifting a finger in terms of fighting. He manipulated Ken’s own pride and the world system in which he operates against him. He even turned Luke against him because of the circumstances. 

That’s why you’re meant to hate him because he does resemble someone you would label a villain in the real world.

@bakfromonI didn't mention about the writing in SF4, only that the production values of their lore efforts for a "prologue" shit all over SF6. Ya'll have to be smoking good shit if you really believe a bunch of digital black and white comic strips are a better effort than all the ova shorts and films we got JUST to setup the SF4 tournament.

I'm also not completely sold on JP unlike you and a few others. I don't care for "real world" villains in a universe where people shoot fireballs from their hands - crypto, social media, blah blah blah - that has nothing to do with his character. Yes his approach is different because he is born of a different time from Bison and Gill. But for a "sequel" villain that's supposed to be post-Shadaloo and Post-Society, they could've made something more original with the setups of SF5 and SF3. That's my take based on limited info right now. However, I am keeping an open mind and look forward to being wrong about JP.

@ToreyBeansit's easier to tell a focused short story involving few characters than one that involves an ensemble cast with established identities and prejudices. It's also more easy to make it relatable and focus on emotional impacts. But I'm not taking away from the quality of the comic's narrative - which is great - but I have to keep my views sober and be mindful of my imagination filling in the gaps.

Edited by Daemos
53 minutes ago, Daemos said:

I didn't mention about the writing in SF4, only that the production values of their lore efforts for a "prologue" shit all over SF6. Ya'll have to be smoking good shit if you really believe a bunch of digital black and white comic strips are a better effort than all the ova shorts and films we got JUST to setup the SF4 tournament.

Bro this is a thread to discuss the story of SF. A well written character and story surpasses anything that’s animated or shot live action on screen. You can’t have a convincing production value on screen without something that convinces you in the plot.

I'm also not completely sold on JP unlike you and a few others. I don't care for "real world" villains in a universe where people shoot fireballs from their hands - crypto, social media, blah blah blah - that has nothing to do with his character.

The crypto and social media crap is not the point of JP's character. The point is he's setting the heroes up against one another in convincing ways based in a modern setting and exploiting the heroes own backstory and conviction. Look at how he played both Ken and Luke against one another.

He uses Ken’s own experience and bias against Luke’s own experience and bias and had them fight against each other based on their principles while he sat back and ate popcorn. It makes the characters more relatable if their going through something the audience can relate with on a personal level rather than just say they were brainwashed or drugged or experimented on whatever. 

JP is just a well written villain and the fact that most of us didn’t think of him as a villain just based off our initial thoughts on his design speak to this.

When he was leaked with the other characters we didn’t think much of him as he was just another character in the cast. His mannerisms don’t seem like a villain either. It’s only until you read about him in the comic do you start to realize that he’s not exactly what he seems, and that’s after halfway through the series. 

Yes his approach is different because he is born of a different time from Bison and Gill. But for a "sequel" villain that's supposed to be post-Shadaloo and Post-Society, they could've made something more original with the setups of SF5 and SF3. 

That’s as original as SF story has gotten in a long while. It’s actually borrowing from some sort of real world experience. The story was even trending like this in 4 with Seth being the villain. He was the CEO of a weapons manufacturer that on its face wasn’t evil or dealing with Shadaloo. He was a villain hiding in the plain sight of the public which is exactly what JP is only JP seems more beneficial at face value. 

Edited by bakfromon

The fact that it IS grounded in real life brings a greater sense of gravity and makes for great storytelling much more than the anime before it. Ryu getting pummeled by Bison and Seth as he overcomes the Satsui no Hadou is only good for so long and doesn’t have much basis IRL, honestly. I mean really that SNH story had been going from 1996 to 2016, and sure it was enjoyable but overdone.

I think what gets me with the comic is that the circumstances with Ken and Luke could happen to someone, and this time Ryu isn’t the focus. On top of that, the villainy from JP is unique for SF and psychological. Bison has become a Saturday morning cartoon baddie and to me is like “waaaah Psycho Power has no limits, but I kept getting beat by Ryu and his merry friends in SFA3, SF2, SF4, and SF5!”

Edited by ToreyBeans
5 hours ago, bakfromon said:

Bison is old especially if we’re to use his original body. T.Hawk remembered Bison when he was a child. THawk was born in 59 and his encounter with Bison is still the oldest canon SF event to happen. JP even knows about this event judging from his won quote to Lily.  Even Bison’s newer body was showing signs of grey hair but that maybe because of the advanced aging process. 

Anyway, Bison was already a young man when he encountered THawk as a child. If this was during the 60’s then by the time SF6 happened Bison would be old. JP is probably as old as Bison if he would have kept his original body.

Yeah, also we have Rose who looks much younger than what she looks and refer to herself as "obasan"... and we know when she was very young and just started training, Bison was already old enough to be a Soul Power master 😄

Plus the T.Hawk thing is interessing, because mean T.Hawk's childhood memories are of a Bison that already been through being a SP master and started to gone through PP corruption

3 hours ago, Daemos said:

I didn't mention about the writing in SF4, only that the production values of their lore efforts for a "prologue" shit all over SF6. Ya'll have to be smoking good shit if you really believe a bunch of digital black and white comic strips are a better effort than all the ova shorts and films we got JUST to setup the SF4 tournament.

I’d like to go back to this point because when you really think about what you’re saying it’s kinda ignorant. 

You didn’t mention the writing in SF4 because why? Sure it’s animated, that’s great. Was the story a bit as interesting as this comic? Did it push any boundaries or take any risks with the characters involved? Did it have any lasting effect in the later game story?  

No, No, & No. Not to say it wasn’t decent at best but it didn’t really do anything to further the story. It played everything very safe and even the loses characters suffer were quickly wiped away without any lasting effects. The Juri anime at best pushed the envelope and had the established main characters involved  actually lose the day but at hardly any cost. 

Since Ken’s new redesign into Hobo Ken people have actually been invested on what actually happened to him to become that way. It’s such a drastic 360 on what we’re used to seeing from that character that people were interested in him again. The comic just added to that and now people have a reason to not like JP and he’s an established villain because of this. 

It’s like William Defoe’s Green Goblin in Spider-Man says. 

But the one thing they love more than a hero is to see a hero fail, fall, die trying.”

In terms of the hero’s story this is completely true. People don’t want to see the hero always come out on top. They want the hero to be challenged and knocked down a few rungs and beat up because it makes their come back all the more worthwhile. 

Edited by bakfromon
3 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

Since Ken's name is cleared by the time the game starts I have to wonder what's his standing with his family is. Mel still believes him obviously but I want to know about Eliza. Why does he feel the need to stay away when he's been cleared of wrongdoing.

Maybe she's mad at him for have put Mel in danger 

But more likely Ken wants stay away from family till he got his revenge

Would not like have wife and kid in my car, while plotting against JP

10 hours ago, bakfromon said:

He uses Ken’s own experience and bias against Luke’s own experience and bias and had them fight against each other based on their principles while he sat back and ate popcorn.

JP has a Palpatine type quality. He pulls strings behind the shadows and has his opposition eliminate each other. That makes a great villain IMO.

2 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

Too bad that character's design is completely awful.

i don't know, he surely was on wierdo side, but would not base a whole character design review on a Bengus single sketch from a very angled perspective

In Falke's concept sketch, the black and white one on the left (wich was probably the original) he looked bit more normal, not sure from where Bengus made up the crazy hair

-click to enlarge-

https://i.imgur.com/b9Xc9PC.png

Btw would prefer this guy

Spoiler

El Gado (Final Fight / Final Fight: Revenge)elgado-rolent.JPG

had crazy moves in FFR, suddently became bone breaking grappling expert 😄

But even if south american would need some work to not visually overlap with Rashid lol

Edited by CESTUS III
On 5/27/2023 at 6:46 AM, DarthEnderX said:

That wouldn't be cool at all, because it would just make JP the final boss of Fighting Layer...

Vold (Fighting Layer)

I dont know his backstory but I like that boss concept archetype too,

It's like his been existing for numbers of milenia and lurks in the shadows because of being some kind of a vampire or monster.

3 hours ago, Daemos said:

keep your expectations low. No no, lower.

This is exactly what I anticipated... Our only saving grace is World Tour. Even then I'm not sure if it'll produce much for us story bros. But if it's interesting enough, maybe we'll learn some stuff that'll keep us wanting more...? It's been a while since I've been this excited for an SF game, but man story wise we gotta potentially temper our expectations? Help Lawd.

2 hours ago, ToreyBeans said:

This is exactly what I anticipated... Our only saving grace is World Tour. Even then I'm not sure if it'll produce much for us story bros. But if it's interesting enough, maybe we'll learn some stuff that'll keep us wanting more...? It's been a while since I've been this excited for an SF game, but man story wise we gotta potentially temper our expectations? Help Lawd.

This is nothing surprising, just like in SFV arcade endings were mostly irrelevant 

Just like ASF in SFV the real main story in SF6 will be WT 

Actually SF6 will be cooler because new chars will cause story expansion in WT too, while in SFV shit was left to arcade mediocrity after ASF was done 

Like half of the cast in SFV had only arcade shit

Edited by CESTUS III
Spoiler

These aren’t arcade endings. They take after the character stories of SF5 just structured around the arcade ladder - in a way we are getting less. More importantly, it’s the same mid quality of writing. The art looks better than launch SF5 but not by much because that Bengus art style is still very much there.

The ones that came out offer very little substance (JP is Necalli-tier, and Marisa is a joke), which places an immense load on WTM to carry the story like expected.

2 hours ago, ToreyBeans said:

6 hours ago, Daemos said:

All I'm gonna say is keep your expectations low. No no, lower.

As for a proper cinematic mode, I'll give SF6 till season 3 for a cinematic mode.

one huge mistake with SF5 was the cinematic mode feel rushed and compress. I believe initially it should had been more seasonal but they tried to compensate with the barebones release of SFV vanilla

So it was rushed and compress with fewer characters. 

So a season 3 cinematic mode with characters from a more extended seasons or  later, a 2 seasonof character is fine but a 4 season of characters is much better for a cinematic mode.

6 hours ago, Daemos said:

The art looks better than launch SF5 but not by much because that Bengus art style is still very much there.

Tbh i have zero problems with Bengus

As you say his stuff level in SF6 is -much- better than Vanilla SFV where likely he was pushed to do lot in short time, easy to spot as when pace became more relaxed through DLC season he "improved" within same game... and would say his SF6 works feel much better  than best SFV ones

Plus i think lot of people are vocal about weakness of his style, but rarely i see mentioned his strong points not sure if on purpose or because lack of recognization, btw Bengus (even bad Bengus) bring a dynamism to stuff that have no much comparision between other people that touched SF

May say Murata express even better dynamism (and beat him in some other areas), but as much i would love the idea Murata likely cost much more money and is busy doing his stuff

Personally i would have loved whole SF6 ingame art being handled by Hiroaki (or of course Kinu), but have already surrended to the fact at this point Capcom gave up the idea of uniformed coherent art style and just make bunch of different people work on same title... just watch on endings @BootyWarriorposted how Marisa's one have nothing to do with others of same bunch

My 2cents is Capcom could have picked better, but Bengus is far better pick than MANY people that have been allowed to touch SF, so Bengus is good

Edited by CESTUS III
1 hour ago, Daemos said:
  Hide contents

These aren’t arcade endings. They take after the character stories of SF5 just structured around the arcade ladder - in a way we are getting less.

That's exactly what my expectations were for that mode.

All the real plot in SF5 took place in ASF, and the replacement for that is seemingly WTM.

Edited by DarthEnderX

Damn, I KNEW I should've avoided the thread.
Anyway, I can understand the excitement (because I'm excited as well), but let's be honest with ourselves, guys: did Capcom ever have a stellar record regarding storytelling?

Exactly.
I don't know why, all of a sudden, should we expect far more than that. The vast majority of the arcade courses would be focused on telling us more or less who the character is, rather than what the character actually does in a larger-scope story. That is to say, arcade mode mainly would just reiterate what we already know about them. At best, they will focus on some nice interaction, like how did two specific characters get to know each other; nothing more. Even the World Tour would reveal faaaar less than everyone here seems to expect, come on: our avatars would travel to the various Wordl Warriors, train with them, maybe learn what they're doing now. Sure, there will be plenty of easter eggs, obscure characters who can give us a tip or two... But the general story won't progress much beyond "Ken is a hobo and JP is pretty much still there". IF Capcom is smart, there will be SOME small reveal along the seasons, which could help make SOME of the new characters relevant to the "general story" and progress it somehow, but don't expect a new Hamlet or War and Peace. Hell, they still don't care at all about differences between the Japanese and the International versions of their game, did you see the comic where Mel starts following his father at 5-6-7-8-whothehellknowsanymore year old (oh, btw "Sambal" was ヤーリキ yāriki in the original Japanese. Still completely made up)? Come on.

f9ZC3KV.png

Dhalsim to Chun-Li: "Feel the movement of your physical form. That is where meditation begins."

Thoughts: Nothing really too much to look into with this one. Dhalsim's last quote to Chun-Li in SFV was about her struggling to release the shackles of her past. Now in SF6, it looks like she's done just that. But I honestly can't find anything deep with this one. There is much focus in Chun's movments in her teachings. Maybe that's the lesson Dhalsim passed to her in this age.

4 hours ago, Miðgarðsorm said:

Even the World Tour would reveal faaaar less than everyone here seems to expect, come on: our avatars would travel to the various Wordl Warriors, train with them, maybe learn what they're doing now. Sure, there will be plenty of easter eggs, obscure characters who can give us a tip or two... But the general story won't progress much beyond "Ken is a hobo and JP is pretty much still there". IF Capcom is smart, there will be SOME small reveal along the seasons, which could help make SOME of the new characters relevant to the "general story" and progress it somehow, but don't expect a new Hamlet or War and Peace.

I don't expect writig to become stellar, but seems WT will contain some story development involving main cast... example in story trailer we see some cutscenes that don't involve directly our avatar but make interact other characters

I think WT will be not be that far from ASF in terms of story development, with our char playing a role in help Ken (and Luke+Kimberly?) take revenge on JP

My guess is there will be a main mission to follow to get cinematic cutscenes/story progression with main cast, but you can instead chose to do 99+ silly side-quests to grind points to unlock clothes/moves etc

4 hours ago, Miðgarðsorm said:

did Capcom ever have a stellar record regarding storytelling?

Not really no. That is why I said people should lower their expectations with JP and some other characters because this whole thing is reminding me of the pre-SF5 release Necalli hype.

Some people hated on Necalli for ending up not being what they imagined him to be (a super-powerful big bad boss), instead of taking him at face value (a b-plot villain). If you know what happens in JP's arcade mode, you may see that history is repeating.

I respect Capcom for trying though. It's hard for anything to grow in the shadow, and Bison casts a big fucking shadow.

Chun-Li to Blanka: "Sorry for laughing. I know you take your duties as a protector very seriously... Heh heh.

Thoughts: I don't know how i'm supposed to feel about this. It just sounds uncharacteristically disrespectful to Blanka. It doesn't sounds like Chun's endearing "Yatta"  kind of laugh. But more like straight up disrespectful. Unless I'm missing some subtext. Both Chun and Blanka have something to protect: Chun-Li with Li-Fen and her students, Blanka with his mama. So why is she making light of this?

kepbukG.png

Marisa to Chun-Li: Your Chinese Martial Arts are incredible! Thing is, I've got history backing me up too!"

Thoughts: I can tell that Marisa respects Chun-Li as a fighter too. I'm looking forward to learning Marisa's backstory, and the history of her martial arts. I know Marisa's Pankration  it's as historic as the original Greek Olympics. But I'm curious if Marisa had a strong and passsionate teacher just like Chun-Li had her father and Gen.

ZCCyiNV.png

Chun-Li to Marisa: "China's martial arts are every bit as ancient as yours, I'll have you know."

Thoughts: Pretty much the same feelings as Marisa's to Chun. Both acknowledge their fighting and the history of their styles. Though, the later part of her quote can be interpreted as a friendly reminder or a stern warning to respect her, probably depending on her mood.