Stage Select

The Street Fighter VI Story Thread: Shadaloo Died so Luke Could Live!

4 hours ago, mykka said:

I think SF6 getting such great scores even with this poor story, is proof that lore doesnt matter to most people unfortunately

Lore absolutely matters it's why people are so are so invested in the lore of MK and Tekken and why they're so considerate and consistent with it for the most part. 

SF6 is getting good reviews because it's a well crafted fighting game with tons of extras to please the audience. Those extras will overshadow what's presented in the lore because at heart SF isn't technically about that. It's about how the game feels as a one on one fighter. 

What WTM does incredibly is bring the world of SF and combines it with the world of RPG and Beat em up. Fans have been waiting for the day they could actually explore the world of SF like they could Final Fight. In fact WTM is a very good bridge between both titles and something that is long over due. After all Final Fight was originally titled Street Figher 89 and was intended to be a sequel to SF1. It's cross over to a beat em up genre ultimately prevented them from doing that so they were separated  by  them changing the name slightly and keeping them within the same universe. Now in SF6 we have a sense that they're back together within WTM. 

The thing is that if you're a SF fan then you're obviously going to be pleased with the interaction with all your favorite characters and newcomers. The thing is the casual SF fan doesn't know anything about it's deeper story save for the ones who are really invested into it like the ones in this thread. SF6 has been aiming  for more casual interaction by changing certain control schemes for long standing characters (Honda's Hands) and adding an easy operation mode (Modern controls)  which is something they've haven't done since CvS2 for the Game Cube.

WTM definitely caters to casuals first wholeheartedly. It's a very simple story which is easy to understand and you feel more a part of it because of your avatar. It's probably why people have given it such good reviews. Yet, make no mistake the people who know SF story and have seen a good storymode that follows established canon of a fighting game are livid. Just go look at some of the comments in the Youtube section for the WTM cutscenes and compare them to ASF from SF5. Some people are calling BS and rightfully so.

Edited by bakfromon
1 hour ago, bakfromon said:

If anyone wants to skim through the cutscenes of WTM here's a video.

This is all style and practically no substance in terms in canon content. Most of the cutscenes ironically have little to do with the main plot of WTM.

You can literally summarize the entire plot in 1-2 sentences (spoilers don't click).

Spoiler

Disenfranchised resistance fighter (Bosch) travels the world seeking to become strong enough by any means to win a tournament back home. By winning, Bosch places himself in the right position to enact revenge against the man who ruined his people, but his plan is accidentally foiled by an old training buddy (You) and he dies.

JP was right... None of this means anything at all.

Edited by Daemos
22 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

One of the streamers I watched went to the SF6 launch party and asked what was Lily’s age to the developers. And he was told that she’s 19.

I'm sorry guys but unless Julia had Lily 2-3 years before being first kidnapped, there is no way she is Lily's mother. And there's a lot of gymnastics we would need to do still just to fit them neatly into the timeline.

Lily may have been originally conceived as his daughter but now she is just from the same tribe. A lot of cultures when people come from the same tribe it looks like they have the last family man.

37 minutes ago, BornWinner said:

One of the streamers I watched went to the SF6 launch party and asked what was Lily’s age to the developers. And he was told that she’s 19.

Yea they cappin they Capcom after all.

Lily is at best a freshman in Highschool. If T.Hawk finally saves Juli(a) in SF4 which at the latest takes place in 1994 and SF6 at the latest takes place in 2008 then she's at most  14. 19 is like they're way of saying Mel was 5-7 when he saw his dad fight in the English version of the comic when in Japanese he said he was 4-6. 

She's supposed to be the new high school aged girl like Sakura and Karin were originally. She even acts like it you can tell she's supposed to be young. 

Also if JP'S tournaments take place annually and he's already on his 5th when in the prequel comic he's only just introduced them then there's 5 years between the prequel comic and SF6. 

Spoiler

Ryu says that Gouken never died, and that he and Ken made a "painfully mistaken assumption" that he was dead. Even visited his symbolic grave.

Retsu also appears in the final Nayshall tournament.

SiRN's "copy fighters" minions look very Seth-like. I am betting if we snoop around there more or take special note of the graffitis in their buildings we'll uncover more clues.

The people who hired Juri to kidnap Bosch and subsequently offered to modify Bosch with PP are unknown to Juri (according to her) and likely unrelated to JP. Remnants or Neo I am guessing.

As JP's story suggests, his appetite for fighting grew after the first one. He might've had a hand in several of the novice or street level tournaments we participate in in Metro City and Nayshall, not just the national Su'valhal tournament.

@bakfromonBuilding on the previous point, I'm not sure how much time passed from the prequel comic until the end of WTM but I think 5 years is a huge amount of time in the universe - like Ken is missing for that long? Needs more investigation.

1 hour ago, BornWinner said:

I see. Well, that matches what I said previously, however, we can't use that information on the plot guide. Sorry @BornWinner, I'm not doubting you or the streamer, but we need the name of the developer, preferrably something written like a tweet. If not, we'll commit the same mistake vasili comitted in the old plot guide. But thanks! 😃

50 minutes ago, Daemos said:

I'm sorry guys but unless Julia had Lily 2-3 years before being first kidnapped, there is no way she is Lily's mother. And there's a lot of gymnastics we would need to do still just to fit them neatly into the timeline.

29 minutes ago, bakfromon said:

Yea they cappin they Capcom after all.

Lily is at best a freshman in Highschool. If T.Hawk finally saves Juli(a) in SF4 which at the latest takes place in 1994 and SF6 at the latest takes place in 2008 then she's at most  14. 19 is like they're way of saying Mel was 5-7 when he saw his dad fight in the English version of the comic when in Japanese he said he was 4-6  3-4.

I... really don't think he saved her between 4 and 5... to me, his USF4 ending was now moved to after ASF and Juli[a] entered a catatonic state shortly after and for a brief period of time. I think all the Dolls (with the exception of Juni) were retrieved by Shadaloo still inside S.I.N. laboratory. If he saved her after SF4, she got recovered from Shadaloo, entered the catatonic state, got better, got pregnant and was recaptured by Shadaloo shortly after giving birth.

That's why I think she got pregnant between Z3 and SF2, maybe even after SF2 when Hawk reclaimed the Thunderfoot tribe.

3 hours ago, ShockDingo said:

Ryu is learning the ways of the internet

https://twitter.com/MattMcMuscles/status/1664419805594546176

All the interactions I saw with Ryu are so damn wholesome and cute. Like I didn't want to learn his art until I saw how cool of a teacher he is. Ryu is such a NICE man! He's adorable! It's like he doesn't even realize that this entire universe rests on his shoulders because he is so humble and down to earth.

I don't know how it looks or feels for new players, but as a player who breathed SF for the better part of 3 decades, this "master-student" thing feels so good.

8 hours ago, bakfromon said:

If anyone wants to skim through the cutscenes of WTM here's a video.

I think they are saving something a shadaloo and secret society related story later on. 

The question is? Are we going to play as the avatars? or are we just be playing as the characters again?

I think the fact that Ken did not get his resolution to the problem set up in the prequel comics means we most likely are going to get more story material down the line. The success of MK Aftermath and hopefully SF6 means that there is an appetite for a second round of single player content enough to justify an story expansion.

Just focusing on the main plot of the game - I haven't gone through JP's tutelage but aside from Ken, we do not also have any conclusion to the fate of the Nayshall resistance. I think by its very nature, it has to be resolved in SF6.

They could address this SF5 style by introducing character stories in arcade that take place after WTM, but I am hoping WTM gets fleshed out more with more plots and things to do that are not purely for the grind.

Edited by Daemos

@bakfromon

Li-Fen looks about the same age (hard to tell) in WTM as the comics. 

It's hard to say how much time has passed since the comic but it's definitely at least 2 years. If the gap in time between SF3 and SF6 is 6-8 years, Mel's age allows for him to be about 8 years old in the comic, then we do a 5 year timeskip until WTM (we need to see him in the "present" to confirm).

But it's such a big timeskip. Hard to believe Ken has been a hobo for 5 years and still didn't exact his revenge on JP or get his life back in order.

I'm not familiar with potential tournament formats but is it possible that these tournaments are bi-yearly? 

Edit-

All JP win quotes.

Edited by Daemos
7 hours ago, Daemos said:

Amazing details into Juri's life pre-SF6 revealed. Her relationship with Viper is fleshed out. Her involvement with SIN. Her family. They even addressed how in the hell Juri and Cammy made it to England from Brazil in ASF. That attention to detail! We in good hands!

GOOD Thing they are patching things up, I hope that goes for Ed and Falke accelerated growth to be explained latter on... because that was one of the most questionable events that happen along with whatever had happen in SF2 timeline and who fought bison or reach him FIRST. 

5 hours ago, Daemos said:

Just focusing on the main plot of the game - I haven't gone through JP's tutelage but aside from Ken, we do not also have any conclusion to the fate of the Nayshall resistance. I think by its very nature, it has to be resolved in SF6.

They could address this SF5 style by introducing character stories in arcade that take place after WTM, but I am hoping WTM gets fleshed out more with more plots and things to do that are not purely for the grind.

I hoping for something of a WTM expamsion, looking at how the trends in gaming works nowadays like in the new Diablo, Diablo isn't around or any of the main Prime EVILS(4 shadaloo or the main of the secret society)

I hope Capcom take cues for an expansion of WTM in SF6 for Shadaloo, like having a secret society season and shadaloo season as future expansion. but maybe i was hoping to far and beyond.

23 hours ago, bakfromon said:

About the ending

Hide contents

Even though JP loses he mentions to the player if the win is satisfying to them. He's definitely trying to play mind games in his loss because visually all's you did was beat up an old guy with a cane. It's not a satisfying win at all especially when the fight just before that with Bosch was essentially unwinnable. JP is basically taunting the player saying sure you can beat me but you couldn't even beat your rival to claim 1st place in my tournament and now you never will.

To some extent Arcade Kimberly seems to go in similar direction, with her W over JP giving her weird feel... and she come up with the conclusion "she's not strong enough to chase a monster like him", wich is strange after a W

2 hours ago, CESTUS III said:

Ken arcade ending just proof we are just at beginning of SF6 story, he have a mental trip on him taking revenge on JP but things ends with him that wonder what he should do next

I get the feeling this is how we get violent Ken. 

5 minutes ago, CESTUS III said:

To some extent Arcade Kimberly seems to go in similar direction, with her W over JP giving her weird feel... and she come up with the conclusion "she's not strong enough to chase a monster like him", wich is strange after a W

Likely because it;s not a real W. JP is the type that would likely throw a fight to mind fuck his opponent. 

13 minutes ago, CESTUS III said:

I don't think JP's loss to Cac is a mind game. If there were people watching, then they would've seen JP's power which is bad for him. He's not some old man with a cane. I think what he says to the Cac at the end goes in line with his general nihilistic philosophy and misanthropy and his attitude towards the pursuit of Strength (the underlying theme of the entire WTM story).

He's basically telling the player, "what is this going to give you? It changes nothing - And it won't bring back your friend or impact the status quo I established".

We'll get more answers if the player goes to train under JP. I think the interactions and tasks JP will give you post-credits may shed light on what went down.

I think when Arcade mode does these "wins" you have to take into account other stuff. Like Juri and Chun-Li score wins against each other in Arcade so it's a draw for one reason or another. JP and Kimberly are both each other's rivals so it is also a draw.

Cammy and Cac are the only ones who score wins against JP. Neither of which were mindfucks IMO.

As I said earlier, I am now of the opinion that JP is a recent PP user - possibly in the 5 years since the prequel comic or at most since SF3. He's not on the same level as previous bosses.

Edited by Daemos
13 hours ago, Daemos said:

He never recovered her after Alpha3. The dolls were in stasis at the abandoned Shadaloo facility until Juri recovered them.

They didn't go into stasis after Zero 3. After Cammy fixed them with the Psycho Drive, it's unknown what happened to the Dolls, with the exception of Juli[a] who was recued by Hawk. I really don't think they were to live with Honda (a production drawing showed Juni and Juli living with Honda for a while... with the 3 sharing baths and even the futon together... afte rsome time, Juli and Juni get married, leaving Honda 😅).

I think you mistook SOSNA lab with stasis: (timestamped)

Probably they rendez-vous there if something go wrong.

12 hours ago, Daemos said:

Amazing details into Juri's life pre-SF6 revealed. Her relationship with Viper is fleshed out. Her involvement with SIN. Her family. They even addressed how in the hell Juri and Cammy made it to England from Brazil in ASF. That attention to detail! We in good hands!

Really that they are pulling a Sindel with Viper?

After seeing that picture of Juri and Cammy... smiling together, I would take what she says with a grain of salt.

Timestamped.

She makes Viper seem like a backstabbing bitch lol

53 minutes ago, Lord_Vega said:

Really that they are pulling a Sindel with Viper?

After seeing that picture of Juri and Cammy... smiling together, I would take what she says with a grain of salt.

I don't think so, sure, it's wise to take Juri's statements with a grain of salt, but we don't really know much about Viper, she could have become disillusioned with CIA work, is stockpiling for her and her daughter's benefit and who knows, she may have discovered something ugly in the government during the years of her employment. Corruption happens a lot in the SF world, so while Juri may be exaggerating and painting a more cynical picture, Viper could be chasing her own path away from the government. Who knows, maybe when she was tailing Q, he told her some earth-shattering intel about her superiors? Heh

6 hours ago, CESTUS III said:

Touch of class

Jamie arcade is EVER in same stage (MC street) as to show that unlike others that travel the world, he stay on his area doing his protector role, essentially are OPPONENTS to do the world tour ending up in your street 😄

Little update, just finished all arcades

Same goes for Blanka (who stay in the jungle promoting his adventure jungle tour) and JP (who stay in Nayshall hosting arcade as a tournament in his arena)

Cool

4 hours ago, Daemos said:

As I said earlier, I am now of the opinion that JP is a recent PP user - possibly in the 5 years since the prequel comic or at most since SF3. He's not on the same level as previous bosses.

Guess we will see, would be hilrious if coward capcom wasted another brilliant villain concept because they don't believe on their own new characters to be able to compete with the past, when they're the ones to cripple their own stuff by lacking balls

By itself JP is already one of the best villains we ever got in SF, if they turn him into weak shit filler boss it's only their fault lol

Btw not sure how you made the 5 years guess (but i did'nt watched the WTM full spoilers, want keep something for my run)

13 minutes ago, DarthEnderX said:

I do not, in any way, want Violent Ken, but they are absolutely doing all this to set up Violent Ken.

In his own arcade ending Ken wonder if he should murder JP with his own hands, wich as ansatsuken guy should be already a no no

Combine it with Psycho Power and crap-fans have good reasons to start dream

It's hard to say how much time has passed since the comic but it's definitely at least 2 years. If the gap in time between SF3 and SF6 is 6-8 years, Mel's age allows for him to be about 8 years old in the comic, then we do a 5 year timeskip until WTM (we need to see him in the "present" to confirm).

But it's such a big timeskip. Hard to believe Ken has been a hobo for 5 years and still didn't exact his revenge on JP or get his life back in order.

I'd say 4 years then because if the tournament JP holds is annual which I'm starting to think it is (why hold a special cultural tournament bi yearly) and the first one is in the comic then you would have an additional 4 years til the 5th one

JP didn't kill Kalima like we thought and she is the missing NGO employee mentioned in Ken's arcade intro and she has graying hair now. spacer.png

Mel also looks to be older now almost as if he's a teenager. That's because he's around 9-12 in the comic if you're using a 6-8 year timeskip from SF3 when he was 3-4yrs old. Now you add another 4 years to the comic and you have Mel at 13-16 years old. 

spacer.png

Edited by bakfromon
2 hours ago, Doctrine_Dark said:

To JP: “So this guy’s ex-Shadaloo, huh? Guess I know who’s responsible for Ken’s fall from grace.”

To JP: “You’re a Shadaloo survivor, old man? I like the cut of your jib.”

@CESTUS IIII’m afraid they are going there. I really wanted a completely new villain (no pp nothing), but all signs point to this guy being kinda of a fan of Bison. He talks about him and knows about him whenever he can but rarely negatively (madman kinda isn’t a badword on these circles). He’s a man of culture and appreciates things as an outsider.

He’s an excellent villain. Well acted, and some of the best line deliveries the series has seen. But I think he made a deal with the devil. Maybe his nihilism, misanthropy, and curiosity got the best of him. Or maybe he is evil just like the people he does business with.

The sequence of events before the final fight in WTM will always be iconic thanks to him.

Edited by Daemos
1 hour ago, bakfromon said:

I'd say 4 years then because if the tournament JP holds is annual which I'm starting to think it is (why hold a special cultural tournament bi yearly) and the first one is in the comic then you would have an additional 4 years til the 5th one

JP didn't kill Kalima like we thought and she is the missing NGO employee mentioned in Ken's arcade intro and she has graying hair now. spacer.png

Mel also looks to be older now almost as if he's a teenager. That's because he's around 9-12 in the comic if you're using a 6-8 year timeskip from SF3 when he was 3-4yrs old. Now you add another 4 years to the comic and you have Mel at 13-16 years old. 

spacer.png

4 years is acceptable, and logical. I didn’t see Mel before so this makes even more sense now.

I’m surprised Eliza didn’t divorce his ass though. 4 years of no dick is hard (pun!).

Just to wrap up all the ones I've missed until this point.

Chun-Li To Zangief: “Phew. It’s precisely because you’re not all brawn that I can never be too careful.”

Thoughts: As usual with most of the original WWs, there is a clear respect for Zangief as a fighter. Solid. 

Dee Jay To Chun-Li: “Nice kicks! Nothin’ more beautiful than feet movin’ to a unified rhythm!”

Thoughts: Nah Dee Jay, nothing more beautiful than the one you giving this win quote too. ❤️

That aside, still an air of respect to be expected from the WWs, so solid quote again. I think my favorite part about this quote is the "unified rhythm" part, as it can be taken both literally and metaphorically. Literally because Dee Jay is a musician and his beat influences his fighting. But metaphorically because just like in WTM, we're all after the same thing, looking for strength and bettering ourselves. I feel Dee Jay and Chun do that well into their later years.

E. Honda To Chun-Li: “Your kicks are killer, just like always! How do ya think my sumo slaps have held up?”

Thoughts: I'm curious how many on the SF Story thread would be on team Lightning Kicks vs Hundred Hand Slaps.

Same as the previous, acknowledgement of strength and respect. It would be fun to see the fastest and strongest legs in SF taking on the fastest and most overwhelming hands in SF. That would be a very fun spectacle indeed. 

Zangief To Chun-Li: “Kick me all you like! I’ll take every hit in stride and dish out twice as much in return!”

Thoughts: Well, the man did break a psycho doll's samurai sword slash with the power of his chesticles in ASF. I wouldn't be surprised if Gief really does have iron underneath those muscles of his.

Def a lot more jovial Gief in this one. Though we can also infer there will always be a acknowledgement of respect between the two. I guess another way to infer this would be that Gief is letting Chun-Li know that her strong kicks will help make Gief stronger as well.

(And with that, we done until the new characters come out. Thanks Story Fam for always letting me indulge in this)