Stage Select

The Street Fighter VI Story Thread: Shadaloo Died so Luke Could Live!

1 hour ago, Daemos said:

SF5 Chun looks more like the character we know and love.

Tbh i think they look different versions of Chun we seen in the past

Watching face proportions SFV one remind me more SFA style, with round thicker traits, stronger chin/jaw and minimal mouth

SF6 one remind me more heart shaped face Chun of SF2, with smaller chin, pointy nose, more feminine lips and more emphasys on eyes being elongated both in shape and make up

Immagine

chunli-fix1.gif                             chunny575.png

Then we got SF3 and 4 where she was different style again, even from each other

Tbh even SFV was'nt sure about what look she should have, first Chun we seen in V stylistically was different from final one

STREET FIGHTER 5 Gameplay - YouTube

I don't know about you, but I think SF6 Chun is the BEST Chun-Li has ever looked.

As the resident Chun-Li Expert with a PhD in Thighcology and a Masters in Kick-nesiology , not to mention 30 years of love and  devotion to the Queen and Waifu herself, I think my opinion should count for something right?

Edited by Chun-Li_Forever
7 hours ago, Chun-Li_Forever said:

I don't know about you, but I think SF6 Chun is the BEST Chun-Li has ever looked.

eYrKuXh.jpeg

Alpha was younger Chun li and that's a very different take

I'm more into the reason of coherence here for why I'm okay SF6 Chun, 

Because the most of SF3 art is more akin to SF6 Chun shaped face,

Yes there where no consistency but I'm gravitating here with the more dominant reiteration of her facial design

in the later years of visualizing an aged Chun li, and she looked more asian this time in SF6 than an anime character wearing chinese costume

ThJT3CO.png

15 hours ago, Chun-Li_Forever said:

As the resident Chun-Li Expert with a PhD in Thighcology and a Masters in Kick-nesiology , not to mention 30 years of love and  devotion to the Queen and Waifu herself, I think my opinion should count for something right?

I don't mind her new face, but i'm not a fan of how idle stance looks with new body proportions 

14 minutes ago, YagamiFire said:

I wager Chun-Li's nostalgia costume in SF6 (you know she'll have one) is going to look incredibly good

Nostalgia one looks pretty good, she and Guile will for sure have their as standard in my copy 

Hopefully also Ryu, praying will look better in motion lol

Her nostalgia alt to me is better costume* as make shoulders look "bigger" (also bracelets adding some volume to hands area) and so balance a bit weird SF6 proportions where Chun feels to be all legs

Made this a while ago, using nostalgia alt just a bit more mass on upper half and a slight reduction on lower, she looks what we are used to

https://i.ibb.co/12xvxWB/chun.jpg

But again, at least we get nostalgia wich is bit less worse than SF6 standard one, same for Guile

*beside original look being superior by far, but that's my tastes

Tried to fix shit-Ryu too (hope it was still a work-in-progress)

Spoiler

https://i.ibb.co/F4n7QMX/ryu.jpg

Specially waist/belt/pants were terrible

Bw curious to see other alts

• Guess ones shown Ken/Honda/Blanka/Sim will get SF2 + Cammy we seen it's SF2 (guess Zangief/DeeJay/Akuma will follow same path)
  • Juri i'm praying for SF4 costume, but i fear she will get SFV one as it's more far from her SF6 default
  • Kimberly imho it's likely going to get more "normal clothes" urban look
  • We may have already seen Manon alt look in the trailer
  • Lily hope she get her original green tunic/tribal face paint design that they dropped
  • Ed i hope to see a better designed version of the SFV NeoShadaloo uniform one, but i guess we will get the shitty plain hoodie lol. Btw his new SF6 default may make sense, specially IF he's now free from Bison's influence so he rebel against the stright uniforms shit

Edited by CESTUS III

The problem is the realistic direction, Ryu's proportion isn't really for that direction unlike Chun li

So it will never be corrected to look something like the classic

Unless you separate Ryu's entire style of design to be unrealistic and separate to the intentional style of characters in SF6.

The thing that I like that they did SF2 hair back.

The issue stems from the ground up.

While trying to find a way to make certain parts of Guile's Alpha 3 story fit, I was hit with the sad realization that it isn't possible.

A8WZZ2q.png

24u3pOZ.png

Alpha 3 was Guile's first time meeting Chun-Li. I totally forgot about that.

x0otH6i.png

hNSswqO.png

qHzmhHl.png

SFV establishes that Chun-Li met both Guile and Nash while she was hunting Shadaloo.

During the Alpha-era, Nash was mainly chasing Bison alone. By Alpha 3 he was shown to be working with Chun-Li.

IopuGZL.png

Then you had Vega mention Chun-Li's father. Something that Bison did in Alpha 2.

42P7NLB.png

I like how SFV changed things up by making Vega speak on Dorai's fate instead. 

Another interesting thing I noticed:

L7Tfanx.jpg

In a bonus Udon story, Dorai was shown being forced into a car.

SMLPGI1.png

In Gen's SF4 Prologue, we see Dorai being forced into a car.

On another note, I like how Bison says Nash (if he survived) will never oppose him again because everything he's believed in has turned against him.

rHqIpG4.png

He knew he was going to get a raise that night.

18 minutes ago, ShockDingo said:

Interesting points! Kinda sad somethings changed, but oh well. I really do hope SF6 has something that clearly lays out the events leading up to the game. With the increased budget and polish, now would be an excellent time to have some sort of encyclopedia.

Yeah, a new SF Encyclopedia would be right on time. Both in-game and out.

I've been enjoying going back and looking at the story of the older games in retrospect. 

So I've been comparing the animations for Ryu and Ken for the moves that they have in common. I honestly thought they had identical animations for their standing light punch, heavy lunch, and light kicks, but there are actually slight variations between the attacks. The distinction was much more visible in SFV than in SF6's current state. I was pretty surprised that Capcom didn't cut and paste Ryu's animations directly onto Ken!  Come to also learn their Tatsus have different start up animations and hand positioning. I inspected the Hadoken and Shoryuken animations too but I didn't notice any distinctions between them. Check em out!

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

8 hours ago, Doctrine_Dark said:

While trying to find a way to make certain parts of Guile's Alpha 3 story fit, I was hit with the sad realization that it isn't possible.

[...]

Yeah, coming up with ways to  make sense of things is fun, but at the end of the day those games were made by different people, the story is not a priority, there's the conflicting character endings to start with... if we don't accept that some things change or were not supersolid in origin we end up with logic such as “this character was dead according to an old and forgotten source, but he is alive in the latest game, thus it is a robot impostor”.

3 hours ago, mikros said:

Yeah, coming up with ways to  make sense of things is fun, but at the end of the day those games were made by different people, the story is not a priority, there's the conflicting character endings to start with... if we don't accept that some things change or were not supersolid in origin we end up with logic such as “this character was dead according to an old and forgotten source, but he is alive in the latest game, thus it is a robot impostor”.

I think SF fans used to handle canon material learned long ago only simple way to follow the story is to ever take the most recent change as the new truth, without much resistance lol 

8 hours ago, mikros said:

"Gen and Gouken are zombies in SF4"

You just gave me a dreadful flashback.

s-l1600.jpg

Back when SF 15th Anniversary launched on PS2, Capcom of Japan re-released All About Capcom with the game in a special edition that was exclusive to Japan.

Picture 1 of 9

Rinse and repeat for SF 30th Anniversary a few yrs ago.

It would be really cool if Capcom did a SF6 special edition like that.

Except this time it would be a whole new book incorporating SF4, SFV, and SF6. A modern All About Capcom.

That would be perfect. 

15 hours ago, CESTUS III said:

I think SF fans used to handle canon material learned long ago only simple way to follow the story is to ever take the most recent change as the new truth, without much resistance lol 

That's how most fans have handled canon in history regardless of the genre.

SF5's version of events supersede everything that came before it, for better or worse. That is also why the way SF4 "remembered" SF2 in the Aftermath OVAs is the canonical ending to those events.

This is why I strongly hope Capcom continue with "live canon" like in SF5's ASF and Character Stories. The Arcade Endings method should be relegated to fun in-character what if scenario just like how the MK series is handling them lately.

Edited by Daemos
6 hours ago, Daemos said:

This is why I strongly hope Capcom continue with "live canon" like in SF5's ASF and Character Stories. The Arcade Endings method should be relegated to fun in-character what if scenario just like how the MK series is handling them lately.

Tbh i think use it just as "what if" waste Arcade potential to enrich the story*

Example in SFV Arcade i liked see Alex having Zangief as final boss, would have been cool if they explained it** and gave us a SF4 style cutscene before their clash (and AFTER, would be cool)

*Unless SF6 "ASF" will REALLY cover multiple story paths giving everybody a solid story, SFV ASF gave very very marginal role to some and nothing to anybody was'nt standard cast+S1

Good thing SF6 World Tour will keep expand, so that's already something

**i think it's possible that fight was supposed to be some kind of unfinished business they had, as they was supposed to clash in a 2v2 in ASF, but the blackout prevented the match to happen, so the two wrestlers had their clash some time after in the streets

That's one fight i would have like see expanded a bit with context/cutscene, would also love if that was first/only time Alex ever used his CA (arcade ending show Alex use it to end the fight) canon wise... like, he realized he was'nt going to KO Gief with his usual moves, so had to improvise a new technique to take down the russian, would be cool af

It's even a possible explanation given what we have, but just an assumption without an official source saying it

Edited by CESTUS III
18 hours ago, CESTUS III said:

Tbh i think use it just as "what if" waste Arcade potential to enrich the story*

I see where you're coming from. Arcade Endings should be used to directly expand canon without conflict. But historically, most Arcade endings have been "best case scenario" for the character with no regard for the overarching story. You get to learn something about the character and their ambitions out of it which for all intents and purposes is canon (e.g. Bison SF2 ending is not canon, but the ambition and personality demonstrated within it probably is).

The only way I can see Arcade Endings be canon is if whoever is writing all the stories in SF6 over its 6-8 year lifespan took meticulous care to ensure that not only do they not conflict with each, but that they come together to tell a cohesive tale. This is possible.

My gut tells me SF6 will follow in the footsteps of its two most recent predecessors and deliver the story in a new way.

50 minutes ago, Daemos said:

Battle damage was part of Street Fighter well before MK ever existed.

This

Between the blood and sweat flying, and the vomiting, plus the obvious battle damage in the Win/Loss screen. 

Honestly, the battle damage in SF6 is reletively tame compared to what you see in SF2 and even SFIII New Generation. But I'm sure the devs will have an option to turn it off.

10 hours ago, Daemos said:

Battle damage was part of Street Fighter well before MK ever existed.

Never liked it on victory screens either.  I don't like seeing characters I like crying with their eyes punched in and missing teeth.  It's always been aesthetically displeasing.

And yes, Chun-Li_Forever, that means your avatar sucks!

MK has taken that and built it's entire identity around it.  I say let them have it.  SF doesn't need it.

To be honest, I think how the individual story if there will be an arcade path for  SF6 would be like how Tekken individual endings are handle

to the more goofy and funny side, because we got a lot of new characters instead of established characters, so serious endings are more least since this characters aren't something that have a score to settle. 

1 hour ago, DarthEnderX said:

Never liked it on victory screens either.  I don't like seeing characters I like crying with their eyes punched in and missing teeth.  It's always been aesthetically displeasing.

And yes, Chun-Li_Forever, that means your avatar sucks!

MK has taken that and built it's entire identity around it.  I say let them have it.  SF doesn't need it.

MK are tasteless. The way SF is handling it so far is much classier (except Elena's defeat pose in SF3) and in line with the precedence set in SF1, SF2, and SF3. The SF2 Animated Movie -our sacred gold standard- also did not shy away from battle damage.

I think as long as we don't see blood splatters everywhere we're fine. This turn helps keep the game at a street level. 

Personally, I love the addition of battle damage. Forget the blood, cuts, and blackened eyes. But the sweat gleaming off their skin (face and arms), plus their dirtied fighting outfits really give you that feeling that the characters were in a real and physical fight. Heck, in some of the Super/Critical arts, you can see some sweat flying.

I guess I never really questioned it since they stopped doing it altogether in Alpha, 3, 4, and 5. But it shows Capcom is really taking steps to focus on the realism: when a character gets whalloped with a massive combo or attack, they DONT look the same as when they started the fight. I mean, how can you? Body parts coliding against each other, bodies hitting the wall and ground, each strike/fireball/grab looking like its making an impact.

As for me I used to like it, because it's nostalgic, I even ask that in Capcom Unity when SF5 was just revealed

and  @DarthEnderX

was there to to oppose me

then later that discussion I was suggesting something different which was slight stance change when LIFE is on critical situation

The other one was clothes and accessories drop or tearing, 

but nowadays I don't think it's necessary or something that I felt to make the aesthetic better. If it exist that fine and if not that's fine either the important is that it's implemented and executed right

I had a very different thinking that time and more of the things I was into were aesthetic and nostalgia, those were my priorities before compare to what I am today that is more focus with a different direction of design rather than visuals.

4 minutes ago, Lord_Vega said:

In Z3, how Chun-Li and Nash first met each other was depicted in AASFZ3 (the description I'll give is from the translation present on the old guide). Chun-Li goes to the Frankfort Hangar and pretents to be dating Nash to pass through the gate's guards.

Thanks for posting about this. It's been a while since I first saw this and tried to remember the source. I was almost worried it was fan work! Do you happen to have scans of this? Also aaaaages ago on SRK there was a SF4 story bit where Guile & Chun Li are talking about Charlie and he mentions they were both delinquents till they went to military school and turned things around, do you happen to know the source of this also?

16 hours ago, ShockDingo said:

Thanks for posting about this. It's been a while since I first saw this and tried to remember the source. I was almost worried it was fan work! Do you happen to have scans of this?

Yes! It's from All About Street Fighter Zero 3:

Spoiler

spacer.png

16 hours ago, ShockDingo said:

Also aaaaages ago on SRK there was a SF4 story bit where Guile & Chun Li are talking about Charlie and he mentions they were both delinquents till they went to military school and turned things around, do you happen to know the source of this also?

It was from vanilla SF4 console version site. They posted a series of prologues that expands the in-game prologues. That's were Smart/Smalt Raven came from.

Here is the link for the main prologues page:

The beginning of Street Fighter IV / Side stories

The one you're after is Prologue 12 - Guile. A pity the console exclusive characters (with exception of Cammy) and Seth weren't given their beginning stories. Would love to read Rose's...

3 hours ago, Doctrine_Dark said:

@Lord_Vegadelivering as always.

Glad I could help.

Let's hope Capcom sheds some light on past events in SF6. But... I don't think that'll be the case.