Stage Select

The Street Fighter VI Story Thread: Shadaloo Died so Luke Could Live!

I really like the way they've incorporated Ken's personality into some of his attacks. More specifically, the Shoryu Reppa.

The first time I saw it done at max damage, I was like "Holy shyt! Ken is brutal!"

"Sit down and shut up!"

We're used to the happy go lucky Ken taunting the opponent with his usual antics.

But the new Ken is slamming his fist into them with immense rage.

The "I know what it's like to want to kill someone" already shows where his mind is at. This individual has really did a number on Ken. It's not something he'll be able to get over easily, however, he has no intention of allowing it to become a natural part of his character. 

The quote to Ryu (“Never stop being you. Stable. Unshaken. After all… you’re the reason I got my start.”) shows that no matter how chaotic his life may be, his best friend will always serve as a source of inspiration for him. Ken can view the world with blood fire in his eyes, but Ryu's demeanor will always remind him of peace and tranquility. That's exactly what Ken needs. 

A lot of people talk about how "boring" Ryu is, but I always thought it was interesting how infectious his demeanor is. Even the most wicked characters and demonic entities (Kage) can't understand why he can't be rattled. 

I'm sure Ryu will end up playing a part in bringing Ken back to his true self. 

I can't wait to see what led to all of this.

Edited by Doctrine_Dark
59 minutes ago, Doctrine_Dark said:

I really like the way they've incorporated Ken's personality into some of his attacks. More specifically, the Shoryu Reppa.

The first time I saw it done at max damage, I was like "Holy shyt! Ken is brutal!"

"Get down and shut up!"

We're used to the happy go lucky Ken taunting the opponent with his usual antics.

The "I know what it's like to want to kill someone" already shows where his mind is at. This individual has really did a number on Ken. It's not something he'll be able to get over easily, however, he has no intention of allowing it to become a natural part of his character.

Yeah whoever framed him caused him to split from his family, without family i can see Ken becoming like that

2 hours ago, Doctrine_Dark said:

A lot of people talk about how "boring" Ryu is, but I always thought it was interesting how infectious his demeanor is. Even the most wicked characters and demonic entities (Kage) can't understand why he can't be rattled.

Lot of people have shit taste 😆

For how i see it the more you know the char/SF lore the more feels that Ryu is simple on the surface but goes deeper than lot of other "interesting" characters

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

This is the English VA, right? This is sounding like a second language

Yes, that's Kimberly's VA Anairis Quinones speaking Japanese. I don't know if the first taunt is a count or some kind of jutsu, but I'm pretty sure the 2nd taunt she's saying "Thank you, from the Bushinryu". 

My guess is that since the Bushinryu come from Japan, it only makes sense that Kimberly, who is learning the ninjutsu art of Bushinryu, also learn their language and culture. So  rather than having translate those taunts, they kept it in the native Japanese language.

1 hour ago, Chun-Li_Forever said:

Yes, that's Kimberly's VA Anairis Quinones speaking Japanese. I don't know if the first taunt is a count or some kind of jutsu, but I'm pretty sure the 2nd taunt she's saying "Thank you, from the Bushinryu". 

Yes, that's correct. I quote myself:

On 10/8/2022 at 5:53 PM, Miðgarðsorm said:

Kimberly does a kujikiri ("nine signs cut"), a sequence of hand gestures thought to enhance perception or as a spell to ward off calamities, typical of esoteric branches of Buddhism (密教 mikkyō, "secret teachings") and often featured in ninja related stuff. It should be performed with very precise hand gestures, but Kimberly here just seems to dance with it as if it were the lyrics of a song. The sequences vary, but the most used one in martial arts contexts (and by Kimberly as well) goes 臨 兵 闘 者 皆 陣 裂 在 前 rin - pyō - tō - sha - kai - jin - retsu - zai - zen, roughly "my soldiers are ready to fight, all deployed in front of me", from which generally they extrapolate more esoteric meanings.

As @CESTUS IIIpointed out, Guy also did the same in SFIV.
Ibuki also does it during her CA in SFV, but only the hand gestures without their names spelt out loud, very quickly.

1 hour ago, Chun-Li_Forever said:

My guess is that since the Bushinryu come from Japan, it only makes sense that Kimberly, who is learning the ninjutsu art of Bushinryu, also learn their language and culture. So  rather than having translate those taunts, they kept it in the native Japanese language.

She's also supposed to be some sort of genius college student with very high IQ that can learn stuff fast

Her profile say

"Kimberly had an ordinary upbringing, but she's a genuine prodigy who graduated college early...and now wants to be a ninja."

Would not surprise she managed to learn japanese very fast as soon she got interested in ninjutsu

28 minutes ago, CESTUS III said:

She's also supposed to be some sort of genius college student with very high IQ that can learn stuff fast

Her profile say

"Kimberly had an ordinary upbringing, but she's a genuine prodigy who graduated college early...and now wants to be a ninja."

Would not surprise she managed to learn japanese very fast as soon she got interested in ninjutsu

A child prodigy! That's literally Sakura's shtick. She learned how to fight like Ryu by literally watching him. She'd give Seth a run for his money with that kind of mimicry. 

Where's my girl Sakura?!?!?!!

14 minutes ago, Daemos said:

A child prodigy! That's literally Sakura's shtick. She learned how to fight like Ryu by literally watching him. She'd give Seth a run for his money with that kind of mimicry. 

She's alone somewhere crying herself to sleep because she'll never be as good as the most based mimic of all time.

shingo-kof98.jpg

On 10/10/2022 at 9:29 PM, Hawkingbird said:

They were elected for disbanding the gang responsible for terrorizing their city. If I voted for them I would expect them to kick the asses of these fighters. 

It seems to me like the city's entire economy is now dependent on fight culture.  All business and tourism seems to revolve around it.

It's like if there was a city where every hockey player in the world came to play hockey, would you have the cops running around breaking up impromptu street hockey games?

8 hours ago, Doctrine_Dark said:

Let's be real here:

The ENTIRE reason they are doing this storyline with Ken is so they can make Violent Ken canon.

Edited by DarthEnderX
1 hour ago, DarthEnderX said:

The ENTIRE reason they are doing this storyline with Ken is so they can make Violent Ken canon.

I mean they already created him in mainline SF.

His existence during the time of Alpha 3/SF2 is strongly implied albeit brief. Ryu fights a brainwashed Ken as a sub-boss before Bison in Alpha 3, and Violent Ken is a fully formed character in Ultra SF2.

He's more canon than Evil Ryu (Not the same as Kage technically).

i dont think Violent Ken would be something soon. Since his beginning to be a sideline character already in SF IP

the only exception is that would be a KEN from an ELSE world situation not the KEN in present timeline.

Bosch is likely the candidate for the new EDGE LORD playable character.

I could see alternate version of him being playable.

His being establish as the Vergil/ZERO of SF6 to the player.

LUKE would probably try to save BOSCH later on because his one of his followers that looks up on him.

They are trying hard on pushing Luke and I think Bosch would play an integral role to push Luke even more FURTHER,

Other than constantly continuing making him a new RYU rival or pairing LUKE with RYU.

Even Ken already has a connection with LUKE.

=============================

HERE is a WILD SPECULATION. 

The KEN that commit something wasn't the real KEN,

It's a different KEN that is manifested by JP?.

JP used the other KEN to messed up KEN's financial stability or take advantage something from master's foundation

Edited by Shakunetsu
7 hours ago, Daemos said:

In Street Fighter 8's Season 3 hopefully 

5 hours ago, Daemos said:

I mean they already created him in mainline SF.

His existence during the time of Alpha 3/SF2 is strongly implied albeit brief. Ryu fights a brainwashed Ken as a sub-boss before Bison in Alpha 3, and Violent Ken is a fully formed character in Ultra SF2.

He's more canon than Evil Ryu (Not the same as Kage technically).

Fun thing is to some extent Ken would have made better candidate to fall under SnH influence, as we know when he was introduced in Gouken's dojo Ken was a kid full of rage and aggressivity, and we know pratice Ansatsuken with negative feelings may lead to develop the corrupted ki problem (see why Dan could not stay as student)

6 hours ago, Daemos said:

Ryu fights a brainwashed Ken as a sub-boss before Bison in Alpha 3

Which is only represented by a normal Ken fight in that game though.

6 hours ago, Daemos said:

Violent Ken is a fully formed character in Ultra SF2.

But, like Evil Ryu, is not canon in that game.

37 minutes ago, CESTUS III said:

Fun thing is to some extent Ken would have made better candidate to fall under SnH influence, as we know when he was introduced in Gouken's dojo Ken was a kid full of rage and aggressivity, and we know pratice Ansatsuken with negative feelings may lead to develop the corrupted ki problem (see why Dan could not stay as student)

Ken's love for his family supplants any of the feelings in Ken that would lead to him using the SnH.  Stripped of them, he is once again vulnerable.

In this game, he's gonna track down the ones who framed him and separated him from his family.  He's gonna go berserk, his hair will turn white, and in a future DLC, he'll be a separate version with a different moveset, just like Kage.

And it'll suck and be a waste of a character slot, but they're still gonna do it.

Edited by DarthEnderX
14 hours ago, CESTUS III said:

Lot of people have shit taste 😆

For how i see it the more you know the char/SF lore the more feels that Ryu is simple on the surface but goes deeper than lot of other "interesting" characters

Ryu and Terry are what I consider the two GOATs of fighting game protags. They're totally complimentary aesthetics/attitudes without overlapping each other at all and either could fit flawlessly into the others setting. Truly the best.

1 hour ago, Hawkingbird said:

At Ryu's level of mastery I would expect him to do one handed hadokens by now like Gouken.

I was thinking the same about Guile and Sonic Booms the other day.

I can understand why it was more difficult early on, but from an in-universe POV, you'd think he could at least do them like Nash now.

Or at the very least, the basic Sonic Booms would require one, while the "Perfect" Sonic Booms would require two.

Maybe he just prefers throwing them out like that.

9 hours ago, DarthEnderX said:

Ken's love for his family supplants any of the feelings in Ken that would lead to him using the SnH.  Stripped of them, he is once again vulnerable.

In this game, he's gonna track down the ones who framed him and separated him from his family.  He's gonna go berserk, his hair will turn white, and in a future DLC, he'll be a separate version with a different moveset, just like Kage.

And it'll suck and be a waste of a character slot, but they're still gonna do it.

It's a possibility, he will definitely fight somebody while filled with hate

But tbh i hope they don't go trash like that... i REALLY like this angry version of Ken, as have a solid story motivation and it fit his aggressive style, but i wish they keep it to the levels of when he throw dat violent Nakahira style punch during his Lv3 rather than go full retard on SnH to please crap-eaters

Let's pray teh gods 🤞

10 hours ago, YagamiFire said:

Ryu and Terry are what I consider the two GOATs of fighting game protags. They're totally complimentary aesthetics/attitudes without overlapping each other at all and either could fit flawlessly into the others setting. Truly the best.

One thing i love about SF6 Ken is that he give me Terry (GMotW specially) vibes, mix so well with Ryu

1 hour ago, Doctrine_Dark said:

I was thinking the same about Guile and Sonic Booms the other day.

I can understand why it was more difficult early on, but from an in-universe POV, you'd think he could at least do them like Nash now.

Or at the very least, the basic Sonic Booms would require one, while the "Perfect" Sonic Booms would require two.

Maybe he just prefers throwing them out like that.

My 2cents

Tbh i think Guile is'nt yet at Nash level, and maybe he never will

Nash was a natural genius of martial arts, despite style similarity in terms of pure talent and skills he was closer to a Ryu than to Guile

To me Guile is more a less talented and refined, hard working kind of guy that push his own limits but ultimately still have a lower ceiling potential

Btw  we have  an answer on Guile's ability to throw 1-hand booms: he can do it, but he needs to power up his ki before (SFV VT, SF6 Super), while Nash was able to do it while being on completely normal/relaxed state, even back to SFA days... tbh we seen "normal Guile" in 6 attempt to do 1-hand boom (perfect victory animation), but the result have short life like a Sonic Blade

Btw i consider Guiles's 6 "Perfect Sonic Boom" technique to be close or maybe even superior to Nash booms, difference being Nash was able to casually do it 100% of the times, while for Guile it's supposed to be a particular good shot

Guile "Perfect Sonic Boom" to me represent the best he presonally achieved so far, but it's bit like when Dan throw a random powerful special, but (BIG difference) it's about successfully nail a target rather than Dan's random luck

One interesting thing to me is that PSB kinda break the 4th wall a bit... makes SF6 Guile good as you are, if you can nail perfect frames easily all the times ingame then PSB is his new normal level (or at least Guile being on a very good day when he's performing at his best), if you suck then you have a Guile that's rarely able to pull that feat 😄

Btw i love the taunt where he focus sonic energy on a single finger (timestamped), it shows he indeed learned to handle it with more precision and control

1 hour ago, CESTUS III said:

My 2cents

Tbh i think Guile is'nt yet at Nash level, and maybe he never will

Nash was a natural genius of martial arts, despite style similarity in terms of pure talent and skills he was closer to a Ryu than to Guile

To me Guile is more a less talented and refined, hard working kind of guy that push his own limits but ultimately still have a lower ceiling potential

Btw  we have  an answer on Guile's ability to throw 1-hand booms: he can do it, but he needs to power up his ki before (SFV VT, SF6 Super), while Nash was able to do it while being on completely normal/relaxed state, even back to SFA days... tbh we seen "normal Guile" in 6 attempt to do 1-hand boom (perfect victory animation), but the result have short life like a Sonic Blade

Btw i consider Guiles's 6 "Perfect Sonic Boom" technique to be close or maybe even superior to Nash booms, difference being Nash was able to casually do it 100% of the times, while for Guile it's supposed to be a particular good shot

Guile "Perfect Sonic Boom" to me represent the best he presonally achieved so far, but it's bit like when Dan throw a random powerful special, but (BIG difference) it's about successfully nail a target rather than Dan's random luck

One interesting thing to me is that PSB kinda break the 4th wall a bit... makes SF6 Guile good as you are, if you can nail perfect frames easily all the times ingame then PSB is his new normal level (or at least Guile being on a very good day when he's performing at his best), if you suck then you have a Guile that's rarely able to pull that feat 😄

Btw i love the taunt where he focus sonic energy on a single finger (timestamped), it shows he indeed learned to handle it with more precision and control

This all makes perfect sense to me.

Great explanation.

7 hours ago, Hawkingbird said:

At Ryu's level of mastery I would expect him to do one handed hadokens by now like Gouken.

Probably but still ain't happening in game, 

Guile has shown newer and more feats now other than spamming booms and even doing many variants of it.

While Ryu is pretty much left out in-game presentation or his progress is the slowest in-game

32 minutes ago, YagamiFire said:

Thinking a technique has to be done in a flashier or just different way is folly.

Mastery can be throwing the same strike a hundred thousand times until its perfect, not changing it constantly.

But if you are able to focus your ki with one hand, that means you have another hand free.

Also one handed blasts are so much cooler.

street-fighter5-trailer.gif

1 hour ago, YagamiFire said:

Thinking a technique has to be done in a flashier or just different way is folly.

Mastery can be throwing the same strike a hundred thousand times until its perfect, not changing it constantly.

Not really in that kinda area, "not flashiness"

I'm basically SPECIFIC HERE, in-GAME  FIGHTING GAME MOVES

Both Gouken and Sakura are able to do a "upward" AIM of their projectile, it's not about "flashiness"

GOUKEN is a master and SAKURA is someone who is not basically trained by a master

While Ryu is the one trained by Gouken

My point is just some basic trajectory aim in-game for Ryu's FIGHTING GAME MOVES Not some kind of story or some vague mastery idealization in other contextual manner not in FG GAMEPLAY RELATED.

We could even throw a Bruce Lee quotes here, like this

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times - Bruce Lee

To make it sound something else like improvement on precision but you know it's crap and  non-sense why?

The context is that this is a FIGHTING GAME not real life way of progression, It's all about hitbox, hurtbox, damage, recovery frames and utilities.

Akuma and Evil Ryu overshadows Ryu not because they are EVIL or SATSU NO HADOU but they got more and better TOOL SETS and UTILITIES than RYU in SF4 iterations. Making him obsolete version of them in the later iteration of SF4.  

Ryu Hadouken may sound as something improvement on a narrative backstory standpoint from SF1 to the present SF6, 

Like SF6 RYU has a better hadouken than SFZ2 RYU hadouken because he already thrown and practiced it countless than sakura in narrative standpoint.

But my argument is about a FIGHTING GAME in-game not an anime story, fictional narrative or real life, This is an issue

Edited by Shakunetsu
1 hour ago, YagamiFire said:

Ryu has the shoryuken for dealing with foes from the air. His is refined enough to not have to rely on his hadoken for such a crude interception of an aerial opponent. He has polished and mastered the shoryuken for that exact situation.

Look if your talking to me that shoryuken is refined in a narrative standpoint compare to those other shoto that's why he can't do aim upward during his shinkuu like Gouken does. 

It's sound good on narrative like he got the most POLISHED version shoryuken that's enough to compensate but still that a different argument and not in the gameplay aspect as compare to the other shoto. Like he got the best SRK because it's POLISHED... like it's sounds more RELIABLE that the other shoto...  YET

That's clearly a different context because I'm talking about gameplay specific here of Ryu having a at least have a diagonal hadouken because both end from Sakura and Gouken having it. Ryu's SRK in SF4 wasn't even the best even in SF5 compare to Ryu's SRK in SF2 in gameplay standpoint. There was even a DAN SRK meme on Ryu back in some point SF4 when Ryu's SRK was nerf terribly compare to DAN.

Edited by Shakunetsu
6 hours ago, YagamiFire said:

Yeah, I can imagine Guile using 2-handed Sonic Boom forever because that's how he wants to do it, in the most effective way, not because he can't throw them one handed.

He'd only use one hand when he wants to throw them in quick succession, aka Vtrigger1.

1 hour ago, mikros said:

Yeah, I can imagine Guile using 2-handed Sonic Boom forever because that's how he wants to do it, in the most effective way, not because he can't throw them one handed.

He'd only use one hand when he wants to throw them in quick succession, aka Vtrigger1.

Problem is VT is indeed supposed to be a particular state where the fighter can boost his own basic abilities for a short period

I think was clearly stated* that Guile had to resort to 2-hands not because it's better way to do it but simply because he could not replicate Nash technique as it was invented

Would consider Guile's version an evolution if Guile was the superior martial artist and had the talent to improve the style, but Capcom ever been kinda straightforward at shows Nash is by far the most skilled/talented one

In SFV is even more one-side because Nash got SS powers (even if to be fair he still did'nt even fully recovered from death there) when he whooped Guile's ass, but even without SS powerup Nash is ever been the superior fighter, specially if we talk about pure technique

To give perspective beside inventing a fighting style while being still relatively young, likely beat up Guile countless times in training, and  winning twice the american tournament, Nash managed to put a beating on Bison twice while i think to remember greatest Guile feat has been in SF4 do good enough vs Juri to get her pissed off and use FSE power to one-shot him

To still give Guile some props, he still managed to adapt the technique on himself to be able to pull it off, wich is a good principle in martial arts

Guile imho even have some areas where he's better, example his defense is considered great even by Ryu, but Capcom never left much doubt about who best fighter is

*and to be completely honest used "i think" because SF wiki does'nt add capcom source, but tbh most of time they don't even when saying stuff that indeed has been confirmed by capcom

Btw here it is, three different pieces saying similar thing, mentioning Guile having harder time to concentrate

"When Guile was a trainee in the United States Air Force, he befriended his superior officer, Charlie Nash and asked him to teach him his unique form of fighting, which Charlie agreed to do. Guile learned the style, but his hot temper caused him to lack proficiency in the moves compared to Charlie; Charlie can shoot Sonic Booms with one hand, while Guile needs both. "

"The main difference is that Charlie's fighting style is 'perfected' and relaxed, while Guile's is less proficient because of his short temper and lack of focus. This is shown in his ability to throw a Sonic Boom with one hand (and sometimes even his feet)"

"This is explained by the fact that he learned this move (and his Flash Kick) from Charlie, but his hot-headed demeanor prevents him from being as proficient as Charlie. "

16 hours ago, CESTUS III said:

One thing i love about SF6 Ken is that he give me Terry (GMotW specially) vibes, mix so well with Ryu

I'm mostly annoyed by it, because I liked Ken where he was.

"Become Terry" is instead the thing I always wanted for Cody.  Instead of his weird series of mischaracterizations where he vacillates from one extreme to the other, skipping over the character he SHOULD be.

But they gave it to Ken instead, who was already a good character.

10 hours ago, Daemos said:

But if you are able to focus your ki with one hand, that means you have another hand free.

But what if using 2 hands is more powerful, even at Gouken's level of mastery, he simply chooses not to.

Whereas Ryu is always using his full strength.

Edited by DarthEnderX
45 minutes ago, DarthEnderX said:

I'm mostly annoyed by it, because I liked Ken where he was.

"Become Terry" is instead the thing I always wanted for Cody.  Instead of his weird series of mischaracterizations where he vacillates from one extreme to the other, skipping over the character he SHOULD be.

But they gave it to Ken instead, who was already a good character.

Tbh i like it as development for Ken himself 😄

Even as Ryu fan i like that they came out with a story arc where Ken is truly involved to have his own thing and not as a Ryu accessory

Plus as said i truly like they got him angry because we ever had this guy with aggressive style and fire energy, but we ever seen mostly his happy side, while i think a pissed off Ken can incarnate that style even better 

I like it's story motivated too, giving his rage a solid base. And also the fact they still written him not as generic anime angry/bitter mood, we already seen him save somebody at the construction site, showing he still have heart at right place and that his anger is aimed just at who deserve it and his main goal is clean his name so he can return to his family (for this reason i have hope they will not go full retard and shit a Violent Ken* in SF6)

Idk feels like it's a while Ken was'nt getting much attention if Ryu was'nt in the screen too

It having Terry vibes is just the bonus cherry on top for me 

Yeah Cody was the one given us that "SF Terry" feel in the past, but with his transformation into SFV Mayor he lost it to me (even if he still street scrap), so i'm glad to find some of it in Ken at least, considering thè premise i find it a good fitting arc

*i hope who framed him is'nt manipulative, psycho power user JP, who even have a move called "amnesia" that may link strong with brainwashing... otherwise risk may go bit higher lol 

Edited by CESTUS III

The talk about Guile and Nash has made me think a bit more about the story.

xyTnb17.png

During Guile's SF2 ending, Bison says "You're much...stronger than before...", which implies there was a previous fight between them.

Alpha 3 was always the obvious answer to this, but we know he was with Nash when this took place. Based on Nash's Alpha 2 ending being the accurate outcome, then the battle in front of the Psycho Drive never happened. Mika's SFV story shows us that Gief did protect her from falling debris inside of the Shadaloo base. Something that happened during Alpha 3.

I guess if you choose to go by the Aftermath events, then it's pretty unlikely that Guile would ever be capable of yanking up Bison like that. They had to attack as a team, which means Bison would be too much for Guile one-on-one. 

Nash's SF2 Bio:

Guile's best friend. He was a member of the same squadron as Guile, but had died with his last words being "Bison" & "Psycho Power". Guile challenges Shadaloo to take his revenge.

The line about Guile was in World Warrior. I guess if you go by Nash's bio without taking Alpha into consideration, there wouldn't have been an opportunity for Guile to have fought Bison. His only chance was the World Warrior Tournament.

Bison probably had surveillance footage of Guile fighting or something. Shadaloo is everywhere.

On 10/13/2022 at 4:01 PM, YagamiFire said:

Ken's look slightly resembles Garou Terry's

Their characters are nothing alike

Also this is just development for Ken. He's still the same character...he's just going through events.

I agree but also think they wink at Terry imagery a bit more than that

Example the construction site scene being a tribute to Fatal Fury anime scene with Terry

Also while Ken SF6 ultimate Lv3 super is surely an homage to Nakahira's punch, i think that launcher to air-to-air down punching was done like that also to remind a bit Terry's Power Dunk... or at least i get these vibes from it 😄

Then we have that both have revenge mission going on, and a very urban context (Southtown and Metro City, even if is part of SF6 dna on general)

Plus even if is just a theory on my side, i think there's strong chance just like Terry with Geese, also Ken will fight his enemy in a giant skyscraper in the rich part of the city, in SF6 case the Masters Foundation building

Street Fighter 6 World Tour guide: Details, character customization, and  more

Ps: as said back when we got artworks leak, SF6 Ken design also remind me a lot Colin MacLeod in Highlander anime

Highlander - Die Macht der Vergeltung: Amazon.it: ./., Yoshiaki Kawajiri,  ./.: Film e TV