Stage Select

The Street Fighter VI Story Thread: Shadaloo Died so Luke Could Live!

1 hour ago, DarthEnderX said:

Lily 100% just started out as Noembelu.  Both part of T. Hawk's tribe?

Noembelusfv.jpg

They basically just swapped her tomahawks for clubs.

Was referring to the concept of have a very young, american tribe (even if obviously Mexico=/= Alaska) tiny girl that have herculean strenght and can throw around huge opponents, was something mentioned in SFV concept

Translation by @Miðgarðsorm

"A girl who lives in the Alaskan tundra, a master huntress. Despite her appearance, she possesses an inhuman strength, and is capable to freely hurl and throw even big men."

And seems to be a trait of Lily too, if truly she's able to replicate some of T.Hawk grappling moves like Mexican Typhoon

May be wrong but think to remember the commentator even mention she does'nt care how big her opponent is

That's one trait, then of course you can have other influences... being dual weilding weapon user may push her close to Noembelu, but from the "Condor Dive" pose of her artwork i think ultimately T.Hawk will be stronger influence in her moveset (we did'nt even see Noembelu fight beyond kick Birdie)

My guess is the two maces  will be used to give "wings" look to her figure, since her short limbs alone can't replicate T.Hawk's long arms

14 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Sorry for the double post. Are we sure Julia was teenager? The implication was, at least I thought, that they were targeting Noembelu and grabbed Julia too. SFIV seemed to put a romantic/lost lover angle to T.Hawk's search for Julia.

Fun thing they should have just used Noembelu for all that

Juli should have just been a german girl to pair with her team partner Juni

44 minutes ago, CESTUS III said:

Fun thing they should have just used Noembelu for all that

Juli should have just been a german girl to pair with her team partner Juni

Well Noembelu was the girl from his tribe they were going to have him rescue. IIRC they ran out of time in SFA3's development and could not make her playable character so they subbed in Juli. Which sort of makes no sense....unless they are involved. 

9 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Well Noembelu was the girl from his tribe they were going to have him rescue. IIRC they ran out of time in SFA3's development and could not make her playable character so they subbed in Juli. Which sort of makes no sense....unless they are involved. 

Yeah that was the reason iirc

Guess Juli was just much easier to do and likely they was going to do her anyway as cheap addition, they just slapped on her ass the whole T.Hawk shit lol

Wich is twice hilarious when you think they still keept Noembelu, they could have been smarter and eliminate Noembelu (even if is my fav Doll) and make Juli hair/skin bit darker and call it a day

Instead they gone full caplol and now we have 2 T.Hawk tribe girls, one super stereotype native american looking, the other that look white and have german codename, matching her german/white tag team partner 🤣

Even if i'm not much fan of political correctness redesign (first was better), Lily is easily best T.Hawk expansion we ever got 😄

I liked also El Fuerte and T.Hawk knew each others, felt first time since SSF2 stage that Mexico was'nt used just as alternative to avoid spam USA flag

Wait, hold on - so if UDON are doing an SF6 tie-in comics run for Ken specifically - does that mean this is the first time in their history of collaborations with Capcom that they're creating officially endorsed canonical material for the Street Fighter franchise?

Cuz correct me if I'm wrong but all of their previous comic runs only based the stories told on already established lore or just wrote original stuff (which also lead many people to use that as real canon), or appease the horny with swimsuit issues

1 hour ago, -PVL93- said:

Wait, hold on - so if UDON are doing an SF6 tie-in comics run for Ken specifically - does that mean this is the first time in their history of collaborations with Capcom that they're creating officially endorsed canonical material for the Street Fighter franchise?

Cuz correct me if I'm wrong but all of their previous comic runs only based the stories told on already established lore or just wrote original stuff (which also lead many people to use that as real canon), or appease the horny with swimsuit issues

Yup. This would be UDON first canonically endorsed book. As a fan of the UDON books I wanted to see them get this chance.

"(Nakayama and the SF6 team are) working very closely with our partners at UDON. We're providing the script and the storyline of what to expect before the events of Street Fighter 6. They're going to be helping us to create the storylines. Beyond that, they're even looking into possible spin offs and collaborating with the scriptwriters on the team, so there may be more stuff beyond just the initial comic book series."

If there's any consolation about Udon spearheading the comic book prequel, it's that I don't think Capcom will let a Udon tell a story that's outlandish. I'm particularly concerned about the art work. Some of it is very hit and miss. 

Edited by ToreyBeans
2 hours ago, ToreyBeans said:

"(Nakayama and the SF6 team are) working very closely with our partners at UDON. We're providing the script and the storyline of what to expect before the events of Street Fighter 6. They're going to be helping us to create the storylines. Beyond that, they're even looking into possible spin offs and collaborating with the scriptwriters on the team, so there may be more stuff beyond just the initial comic book series."

If there's any consolation about Udon spearheading the comic book prequel, it's that I don't think Capcom will let a Udon tell a story that's outlandish. I'm particularly concerned about the art work. Some of it is very hit and miss. 

Capcom wouldn't need UDON to do outlandish things.

From the sounds of it, Capcom has given UDON an outline and they will fill in the blanks.

2 minutes ago, -PVL93- said:

the time gap doesn't line up, unless it's the same "terrorists" who blew up the mall and put a false flag on Masters Corp (or whatever's Ken company name is)

Maybe when Luke was a child, they started small, like a shopping mall. But that attack caught the eye of someone within the Masters Corporation. Maybe a disgruntled board member(s) who want Ken out?

Fast forward to SF6 and now, these terrorists have gone bigger? or maybe because they've gone bigger, they've got some financial backing, which could link them to Ken's corporation, of which Ken would know nothing about of course.

I'm just shitposting and letting my hands type out ideas that are zooming in my head. But I do think that we can't eliminate the fac tthere could be some connection between Luke bombing and Ken's accusations

On 11/7/2022 at 7:23 PM, DarthEnderX said:

Lily 100% just started out as Noembelu.  Both part of T. Hawk's tribe?

That was already confirmed by the leaked audio commentary, anyway. What's still unknown is what relation has she with him. I doubt Lily is his daughter; maybe his or November'¹s sister?

¹ God, I hate that name, it's LAZY and disrespectful. They named her NOUEMBER after the LATIN name of the month. Because... Capcom didn't know any Native American language so they just chose the "old-sounding one"? I don't know, but that's already bad... Then they further screwed up the transliteration in... LATIN characters, and we ended up with the absurd NOEMBELU. They could've corrected this at any moment, but nooo.
So we have a fictional Native American tribe with an English name (Thunderfoot), with two members (Thunder Hawk and Lily) with an English name; his father with an HALF SPANISH-HALF ENGLISH name (Arroyo Hawk), and another with a LATIN name because... WTF?

1 hour ago, DarthEnderX said:

And would have been if Juni and Juli hadn't been the only 2 fightable Dolls in Alpha 3 when they needed THawk to fight one.

Yeah i understand, but tbh they could have simply made that Noembelu still was'nt fully brainwashed yet, and Juli was just fighting T.Hawk to prevent him from rescue her

Was a simple solution to keep all how was supposed to be, instead they made up a -nonsense- character 😆

As you saw with our cover reveal yesterday, one of the most iconic characters is a centerpiece of Street Fighter 6's story. Ken Masters, one of the two original playable Street Fighter characters, steps back into the spotlight with an all-new backstory. As soon as his new look was unveiled, the Street Fighter community had a field day pondering what happened to put Ken in the rough state he appeared, with memes popping up deeming him "Hobo Ken." While at Capcom's headquarters in Osaka, Japan, we spoke with Street Fighter 6 director Takayuki Nakayama and art director Kaname Fujioka to get more details about what is going on in Ken's life around the time of Street Fighter 6.

Returning World Warriors like Ryu, Chun-Li, Dhalsim, and Blanka all sport new looks, but Ken is perhaps the biggest departure from his classic appearance. Longtime Street Fighter fans have seen his evolution from Ryu's rival to husband of Eliza, father of Mel, and ex-vice president of the Masters Foundation. Street Fighter 6 introduces the character to a new era with new motivations.

"Throughout the series, it seems like his life has become more and more stable, and the team felt like he was losing a reason to fight," Nakayama says. "But this is a way to create that reason for him to step up. We want to create that kind of plotline that explains why Ken is important and gives him that purpose. The story will be tied to those other characters close to him."

Typically sporting a red gi and a clean-shaven face, Ken now rocks a jacket, boots, new red pants, and in some depictions, a little stubble. Capcom's main goal, aside from depicting an iconic character in a different phase of his life, was to bring back the passionate nature that set Ken apart from Ryu in the franchise's early days.

"The title that left me with the biggest impression was the Street Fighter II series and how I see Ken in the Street Fighter II series is, in comparison to Ryu, who is more stern and serious, I see Ken as a fiery and explosive character," Fujioka says. "Throughout the evolution of the series, there's been different kinds of Kens as well. In the Alpha series, he was a little more playful and lighthearted in a way.

For 6, we wanted to bring that fiery explosiveness back into it. In comparison, Luke in Street Fighter 6 might be more cheery and a kind of playful character. We wanted to differentiate from that, so we wanted to go with this more fiery type of personality. And there being the story behind Ken and there being a more serious tone to him, we wanted to express that through the character designs as well."

Despite the various hints dropped during my time at Capcom, the studio remains tight-lipped on the specific narrative reasons Ken is in this perilous state. "For players who start up Street Fighter 6, they can expect that Ken is now on the run from something, and he is not able to see his son Mel for reasons unknown," Nakayama says. "He's in a tough situation that you'll learn more about in the future."

The curtain will be pulled back on Ken's backstory through a special four-issue comic series from longtime Capcom collaborator UDON Entertainment. The storyline will give us plenty of insight into what's going on with Ken while setting the stage for Street Fighter 6's story. Luke will also feature prominently in this series of comics, as will Ken's son, Mel.

"This is the first time that we're doing this kind of comic book series that's closely tied to the story of the main game," Nakayama says. "We're working very closely with our partners at UDON. We're providing the script and the storyline of what to expect before the events of Street Fighter 6. They're going to be helping us to create the storylines. Beyond that, they're even working into possible spin-offs as well, and collaborating with the scriptwriters on the team, so there may be more stuff beyond just the initial comic book series."

ken_story_1.jpg

ken_story_2.jpg

Piecing together clues, it seems as though Ken is on the run in relation to a terrorist bombing. In a synopsis of the UDON comic series, I learn that Ken has lost both his status and reputation and is sent on the run for a crime he didn't commit. In the above still from the intro to Ken's Arcade story, the authorities have seemingly apprehended him for interrogation, with questions being raised about "the champ." Ken apparently gets away from the hairy situation depicted in the first shot above and enters a transient lifestyle to keep a low profile and remain off the radars of the police. That leads to the extraordinary circumstances under which he's living during the time of Street Fighter 6.

We won't know for sure what's going on with Ken until this comic prequel series and Street Fighter 6 arrive, but for now, color me intrigued. As a Ken main, I love seeing him put into different situations, even as stressful as this one appears to be. In the walkout animation for Ken, it seems as though he is extra emotional in this title. Fujioka tells me he wants to bring back Ken's fiery personality, and based on my time with the game, it appears they've accomplished that mission. I'm excited to see what else the story has in store when Street Fighter 6 launches in 2023.