Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

19 hours ago, Bea_Iank said:

Heh.

I would have liked if all I had behind my #metoo post last year was only being sent unsolicited kisses or being kissed without consent.

I'm scared to ask. Hopefully nothing too terrible. Part of the reason I ditched college was because of a stalking situation. Thankfully she didn't know my home address.

Edited by Darc_Requiem

Well, after a ton of procrastinating and real-life dramas, I got a new PC and SFV:AE and started my path towards... Well, something. It's funny though, because when I used to play casually I mained Abigail but now I'm using Ed almost exclusively. Unfortunately, my internet is garbage and out of the 20-odd matches I've played over the last few weeks only 1 really ran as smooth as playing offline.

Also, I feel like my motivation to get better has taken a bit of a nosedive because in my absence of playing fightin' games and SFV, the only local /fgc/ dissolved and mutated into playing Fortnite exclusively and the closest place to hook up for matches is around 5 hours away...🤬

21 minutes ago, The_Weasel said:

Well, after a ton of procrastinating and real-life dramas, I got a new PC and SFV:AE and started my path towards... Well, something. It's funny though, because when I used to play casually I mained Abigail but now I'm using Ed almost exclusively. Unfortunately, my internet is garbage and out of the 20-odd matches I've played over the last few weeks only 1 really ran as smooth as playing offline.

Also, I feel like my motivation to get better has taken a bit of a nosedive because in my absence of playing fightin' games and SFV, the only local /fgc/ dissolved and mutated into playing Fortnite exclusively and the closest place to hook up for matches is around 5 hours away...🤬

Hello!

What other fighting games do you play?  Where are you located?  I'm pretty active online and play a wide range of games...SFV is my least favorite though. 🙃

1 minute ago, misterBee said:

Hello!

What other fighting games do you play?  Where are you located?  I'm pretty active online and play a wide range of games...SFV is my least favorite though. 🙃

I play a little bit of KOF XIV and I'm just starting to get back into Guilty Gear with Xrd Rev.2, but SFV is the game I feel I'm the best at right now. I used to big on Guilty Gear Accent Core + and KOF '98 & '98UM:FE, but it's been a long time since I played those and I would be rusty.

I live in Northern California, about 3 hours north of San Francisco and while I can't complain about the scenery, I'm not to thrilled with the Internet options. (Basically no local spots to play online and I live so far out of town that Internet access for gaming is impossible.) I'm on Steam as well, which for whatever reason for the games I play that have cross-play built in is always a turn-off. (I've Literally only had one rematch in SFV after a win or a loss, and it just so happened to be with the person that had the best connection ever.)

@The_Weasel

I'm NYC with gigabit internet.  I can try to play with you on PS3/PS4/XBO/PC.

Lately I play more anime games, and have been playing BB Cross Tag and UNIST with @GetTheTables.  If you'd like to get some matches of GG or KOF (I'm not great at KOF, but will play any version), please let me know!  I also play Tekken.

Get me your PSN/Steam info and I'll get in touch with you once I return from my parents' place this weekend. 😃

@The_Weasel If its any consolation everyone has really hit and miss experiences with SF5. I think its the witch's brew of a shitload of different connection types being thrown into a pool and SF5's not-great netcode trying to make sense of it. Some days I think its a miracle any of us can play.

I'm east coast US (MD) but I've had okay connections in SF5 over distance (playing people in central states and Canada) so if you want to play at any point feel free to hit me up. 

I'd also be up for Rev 2 but unfortunately I am a console peasant and Rev 2 doesn't have PC/PS crossplay.
40 minutes ago, misterBee said:

Keep up the pressure @The_Weasel.  We'll force him to build a PC soon. n_n

Yeah, it feels like I'm the only person who actually got a PC to play fightin' gaems. But I don't regret upgrading.

53 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

@The_Weasel If its any consolation everyone has really hit and miss experiences with SF5. I think its the witch's brew of a shitload of different connection types being thrown into a pool and SF5's not-great netcode trying to make sense of it. Some days I think its a miracle any of us can play.

I'm east coast US (MD) but I've had okay connections in SF5 over distance (playing people in central states and Canada) so if you want to play at any point feel free to hit me up. 

I'd also be up for Rev 2 but unfortunately I am a console peasant and Rev 2 doesn't have PC/PS crossplay.

It's the strangest thing, because with KOF XIV and even GG Xrd I don't run into the kind of lag, stuttering, frame-drops and stuff.

1 hour ago, misterBee said:

@The_Weasel

I'm NYC with gigabit internet.  I can try to play with you on PS3/PS4/XBO/PC.

Lately I play more anime games, and have been playing BB Cross Tag and UNIST with @GetTheTables.  If you'd like to get some matches of GG or KOF (I'm not great at KOF, but will play any version), please let me know!  I also play Tekken.

Get me your PSN/Steam info and I'll get in touch with you once I return from my parents' place this weekend. 😃

I wish I could get friggin' more than 5mb per second on the service my office uses... Anyway, I updated my profile to include my Steam Username. I don't have PSN or Xbox Live at the moment and I usually only get the chance to play once or twice a week in the middle of the day due to my work schedule being inconsistent, but I don't mind getting pounded into the ground and back to Rookie.

Edited by The_Weasel
On 7/20/2018 at 4:53 PM, The_Weasel said:

I wish I could get friggin' more than 5mb per second on the service my office uses... Anyway, I updated my profile to include my Steam Username. I don't have PSN or Xbox Live at the moment and I usually only get the chance to play once or twice a week in the middle of the day due to my work schedule being inconsistent, but I don't mind getting pounded into the ground and back to Rookie.

I have a pretty flexible schedule so I'm sure we'll work things out. 👍

2 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

@GetTheTables  Idom almost pulled it off. The fact that he isn't sponsored is a crime. He has no business doing that well in the Guile matchup. I really wish he would have got sponsored last season. I think he would have snagged a premiere.

Yeah Idom seems like one of those players that is super good and if he could just travel more and get more XP at this level of competition he would be one of those people who you'd routinely see in top 8 or at least knocking on the door. And with the right character/player spread I could totally see him taking a premiere.

Good weekend for Laura's all around between him, Shakz, and Paulo. 🇧🇷 

I even got a chance to play for awhile myself. I have a :tldr: post all mentally ready for tomorrow. 😉

I've never badmouthed this game.

But I realized something: if it was not for the numbers on Steam I'd never play it.

I'm not saying SF is a bad game, but of the games out right now I do believe is the least fun to play of current options.

I went to a weekly in Taipei last Thursday, played with a few people pre tournament, then tournament started. But there was setup with BBtag and I could only think of playing that.

And now I found a place where I can go daily where I can play, and I am learning KoF because they play that and SFV. And I really don't wanna play SFV.

I would like to play anime ofc. But that ain't happening so...

Edit: in this reflection I am not taking in consideration NRS games, I don't know if they're any fun nor do I care. So I suppose that means I'd pick SFV over those.

Edited by ZioSerpe

@Bea_Iank He already had to suffer the indignity of Season Nerf's.... Why Bea Why? You were the chosen one! You were supposed to bring dignity to Gief!  Not embarrassment! 😥

Side note: Thanks to your anti-Laura campaign, I got Fabio Matsuda concept nearly fully fleshed out in three hours. I'd be done now but I had to work. I also haven't slept in 24 hours today is going to be real interesting.

Edited by Darc_Requiem

As promised, here is a big 'ol :tldr: post to enjoy over coffee. 😁

Spoiler

Got a chance to play for a few hours over the weekend. Definitely slow to re-acclimate after not having played for a week or so and even when I did get back into the groove I never really was able to focus in on the game for whatever reason. Not sure if I didn't get enough coffee or what but this game is not kind when your eyes start to glaze over during matches. As much as it is shaving years off their lives I understand why some pros are pounding Red Bull in between rounds.

Ended the session slightly down - 18-21 for games and 8-9 for sets - but I was at least able to end on a good note. I still need to go back and watch some replays for analysis, but just going off of what I remember and was thinking at the time:

• I still need to work on how I handle myself on defense. I clam up a little too often which leads to me eating too much "fake" pressure. Part of that is playing more and learning when I can press and when I can't, part of it is also getting over my reticence to hit buttons in the scramble. Start off the game hitting too many buttons, then transition to not hitting enough buttons, now gotta find the middle ground.
  • Need to work on using the right pokes. I feel like I'm a bit better about recognizing spaces where my buttons aren't going to work. But I need to use st.LK and st.HP more, and more importantly I need to work more on buffering st.LK into Bolt for counter-poking  and st.HP into Avante or EX Clap to make that button more of a mix up. Right now I tend to auto-pilot too much with that button which leads to fewer conversions and me fucking up CC hits.
  • Need to work on Avante/dashes after AA'ing for mix ups. Right now its almost always st.MP into walk up something which is way too honest (at least I have command grab for that mix up but a cross under is better for positioning as well).
  • Need to use command grabs a bit more in general. I'm conservative with them which is an okay starting point but I need to use them a bit more often. Even if the oki sucks compared to Mika it is still better oki than her normal throw (so far as I know anyways).
  • I'm definitely still weak to players that are really aggressive. Defensive issues and Laura not having any options other than the core options make it so that I can get steamrolled more than I like. Current plan is to try and learn more about what I can do when (jab, backdash, walk out) and not be quite so scared on defense (which seems to be what unga players flourish on).
  • I am free as fuck to overheads. There are like two in the game that I can consistently react to. Need to practice this a lot more. I've practiced reacting to Urien's overhead target combo which actually came up and saved me a bit but I need to be better about handling overheads in general.
  • I am also bad about pressuring too often or too predictably. -2 move > EX reversal works on me like every time. Its always a guess, but I've run into some people that do it pretty consistently and I need to be better about recognizing that a) it is a thing, and b) to then bait that periodically.
  • Need more match up experience. I keep murdering Akumas because I've fought him a fair bit, but if a Dhalsim or a Karin shows up I lose to really basic stuff.  Nothing to do about that but play more.
  • Overall I need to continue to work on playing grounded and feeling comfortable there. I could definitely tell that I was feeling nervous about playing the ground game in the beginning which lead to me giving up damage and positioning with bad jumps and ground movement. I feel like I'm bad at the ground game (and Laura's little arms don't help) which makes me do the normal stuff that avoids it, which doesn't make me any better at the ground game, so I feel like I'm bad at it, etc, etc. Just gotta tough it out and get comfortable on the ground and hitting buttons. Most of my successful games were due to recognizing and shifting to that. 

I want to try to get in more games in the week and half or so leading up to EVO. Not that I think I'll do great there or anything; I'd just rather go in practiced than not. 😄 Plus all that experience helps keep me moving forward towards Platinum. I'm definitely not going to make my original goal of Plat by EVO but that is fine - I figured that wasn't likely - so I'm going to readjust and try to get Plat by my birthday in late October. Keep on plugging along in Ranked when I can.

I hear ya B. This game can be terrible for blood pressure. If I run into particularly aggressive, nutty player I need a break, win or lose. One Mika and I need a drink.

ProTip for anyone else out there possibly looking to convert a stock Qanba Obsidian: so far as I can tell the ball top and stick shaft are all one piece. So if you were say, looking to detach that ball top to use on a quick release shaft, you will be sorely disappointed. 🙂

10 hours ago, misterBee said:

And this is official SRK2 discord:

https://discord.gg/NHRQTc

Signed up for this and the SRK one.

Also, I got a moment to get some games in today and dear god, Karin is such a fucking nightmare to fight against for me holy shit. Fighting six Akumas right after was no picnic either...

Edited by The_Weasel

I hear you about Karin. My record against that character is fuckin' terribo, probably due to the combination of me not knowing the character well enough, I think it being not a great match up for Laura, and due to every other Karin player online being crazier than a shithouse Ken.

Akuma is thankfully a character I have a lot of experience against so I at least feel comfortable in that fight. Which is good because the Akumas are legion online.

The corner in this game can be a motherfucker, especially depending on your character's tools (Laura mostly just has to hold the fort and sneak out when she can).

What makes it seem even worse than it may otherwise be is that a lot of people online have their offensive game plan down pat (so long as nothing deviates from that plan) so if you fall into whatever rhythm they have going you can end up in the corner quick and they very likely have a follow up or two planned that will be sort of tricksy and if you aren't ready for it *pop* *stars* *dead*.

Anyone with a high walk speed makes the corner way worse for sure.

It can be easier to manage slower characters because they can't close in and throw you or bait you as easily, but the Akumas and Cammys of the world can easily dance at the edge of effective poke range for counter pokes, then skate in for a throw if you start blocking or whiff something big. With Laura I feel like if I back off I have a helluva time getting back in to threaten the throw just because she is a ponderous Bonita.

My issue with Akuma is the air fireball. If I high counter or D+HP, it beats both options. EX Vanity Step can be thrown. I think I need to use d+MP more. D+MK is so damned slow. I may go back to VT1 just to gain the ability to push my foe out. I already use it in certain matchups. It's great for Gief.

I can definitely see the virtue of using VT1 like that. It creates a fuckload of space.

For air fireball if they aren't TK'ing it you can dash under but you either need to read it or be able to react (I cannot do this second thing). I find at this level Akumas are usually decently predicable with air fireballs so if you've interacted with them a bit you can get a sense if they are gonna go for it. 

Akuma's air fireball is one of the reasons I used to enjoy playing Mika in that fight. EX Wingless handles all the jump options. Laura's HP Bolt can work vs air fireball but it is a really narrow window where the hit throw animation will trigger and get her through the fireball, and where it will trade (actually doesn't lose too often if you do it sort of late). 

In fairness, Octopath seems very good. I played the demo and bought the full retail release but I'm waiting until we go on our long vacation before I crack that open (I think; I still may bring it along on the EVO trip).

I still owe you online sets from the last time I flaked forever ago. I have some time this weekend that I was gonna spend playing so if you want to get sets in feel free to drop a line.

1 hour ago, GetTheTables said:

In fairness, Octopath seems very good. I played the demo and bought the full retail release but I'm waiting until we go on our long vacation before I crack that open (I think; I still may bring it along on the EVO trip).

I still owe you online sets from the last time I flaked forever ago. I have some time this weekend that I was gonna spend playing so if you want to get sets in feel free to drop a line.

I'm going to be on @TWINBLADES_SRK WiFi this weekend. Going to Virginia for my grandma's birthday.

1 hour ago, GetTheTables said:

Nice! Have fun with that. 😃

Playing SF5 on WiFi is the most authentic SF5 experience. You aren't living if you can't see the rollback happening in the first 2 seconds of the match.

Every time it hangs when loading in at the white screen I die a little inside knowing how the following game is gonna run.

Hopefully they aren't any missions that require ranked this weekend. I'm going to end up on someone's blacklist otherwise.

1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Hopefully they aren't any missions that require ranked this weekend. I'm going to end up on someone's blacklist otherwise.

I think you timed it perfectly. They usually don't follow up Ranked with Ranked missions so at worst it may be something like "win 10 casual matches".

I legit have that concern sometimes which is why I rarely play SF5 online when my wife is home. She usually streams stuff while she is relaxing and while some games can handle that the extra load is usually too much for SF5's server hamsters.