Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

46 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Side note: PSP SFA3 is too terrible to be ranked for one reason alone.

PSP version is fine -- it's just that trying to play any fighting game on a handheld is a filthy experience.  Makes me want to take a cold shower afterwards.

Arcade sticks for life.

32 minutes ago, misterBee said:

Wait what? What is the joke I am obviously missing???

In Alpha 3, Joe for SF1 was originally supposed to be the prison character. They changed it Cody because the name was more recognizable. "Cody" even has Joe's signature Sobat Kick. Check the second row from the bottom, the kick on the far right.

24046.png

Edited by Darc_Requiem
2 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

In Alpha 3, Joe for SF1 was originally supposed to be the prison character. They changed it Cody because the name was more recognizable. "Cody" even has Joe's signature Sobat Kick. Check the second row from the bottom, the kick on the far right.

So shouldn't your statement be "Finally, after 30 years Joe finally gets added to Street Fighter"? 😛

1 hour ago, Deadly_Raver said:

HOLY SHIT!! Abe Lincoln is in it!!

Lincoln is gonna break that fifth wall, a la Liu Kang, and set even the most irrational troglodyte of SF5's two dozen strong fan base free.

FREE.

For more than days, even.

Edited by JHDK
On 6/9/2018 at 12:16 PM, misterBee said:

You know if Abe Lincoln was a character in SFV I'd be persuaded to play that game again.

You know if Capcom developed DS4 and didn't make it an E-League based DLC circus cluster fuck that'd make Basket Case 2 look elegant, I'd be prepared to well, not to forgive them the pathetic yet successful attempt at travesty that  is SF5, but to at least grit my teeth and pretend it to be a lesser, bastardized version of SF EX.

Especially since we're getting a superior sequel to that spin-off.

Hell, with that, I can just sit back, and pretend it's the TRUE SF3.

I'll retcon the ever living fuck outta that.

I still think Ultra got robbed of it's time to shine.

Ultra and Super 4 were mad solid games.

And I say this as someone who absolutely loathed the crapfest that was VANILLA SF4, and found that the broken turd (yes, Zen koan) that was AE allowed for many, many playthroughs of Dark Souls 1, before 2012.

Fuck.

SF4 is oldish now, innit?

Edited by JHDK
Omitted Vanilla. Fuck Vanilla SF4.
2 hours ago, misterBee said:

Always wanted to try an optical...these days I only build really tiny sticks though so I never have room in the chassis for one.  How are you liking it? 

I will get it Thursday, but I will let you know my first impressions on it once I get to SPD some fools with it.

5 hours ago, Deadly_Raver said:

If that Zangief was about an inch and a half more to the right, "Playing with an optical stick" would be all kinds of messed up.

.............What?  I'm surprised nobody else beat me to it.

It wouldn't be all kinds of messed up! It would be just proper and it was my original plan!
But since I am taking this stick to tournaments, I went with an even more conservative placement so people wouldn't think of me as a degenerate instead as of the lady of virtue that I am, all pure, chaste and innocent!

On 6/13/2018 at 2:18 PM, Bea_Iank said:

20180613_175803.jpg

It is here.

I can't wait to get tipsy and SPD some fools with it tonight!

Nice stick.

Obligatory O.G. Erectus no Homo AKA Fist of the Jojo Star, or something.

'Sup, Just?

Shame 4 fell out of fashion, in favor of shit flavored plaid corduroy  bell bottom skinny trousers.

I mean 5.

Because I loved to 360 for days with low T.ier Hawk, in that. :tup:

Edited by JHDK
3 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

How has the stick been working out for you? After using a Hori Mini, you must be in heaven.

It is heavenly. Almost as good as my hello kitty back massager.

Playing Gief on it is so good! Sakura too, but I suck at doing DPs on SFV because it is no KOF.

Still, it was worth every cent I paid for it. It is SO good, so sensitive, so silent!

Glad to hear that the new stick is working out well. 🙂 

Managed to finally get games in after a week or so away. Ended up going even across sets which I’ll take after a week off.

Two things I noticed during review that I need to work on (that I can work on the short term) are varying up my offense and defense. Some games I do a decent job of it but others I just hammer on the same attack sequence hoping for a frame trap or on defense I lock up and don’t backdash or VR enough. Gotta continue to work on being more mindful about what my opponent is doing/responding and adjusting accordingly.

Practice definitely feels like it is paying off even when I don’t get much match time in. Still have a lot to work on that I want to get consistent but that at least gives me something to do when I fire up the game and can’t hop online. Current plan is to keep working at training and online matches and resume the Ranked sessions in the next couple of weeks to shake things up again.

16 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

@GetTheTables I was looking forward to a Dime length post. You only gave us a nickel this week.

Sorry man I'll do better next time 😓  I'll :tldr: so hard it'll bring down the server.

I had a bunch of thoughts rolling around when I had the time to start typing but then I was tired from the weekend and everything got sort of mushy and I just said "fuck it post it!". Which may be for the best; I had a couple of really rambly moments there before I did an edit pass. 

I'm hitting a really interesting point with me playing the game where I'm starting to get comfortable where I'm at again but the players are better/more dangerous/more uniquely crazy than they were in Bronze or Silver so its more work to get there and stay there. And its going to be more work until I can win consistently enough to start making my way up the ladder again. 

The hard part is finding the time to keep up. Even with a really modest goal of playing 30-45 mins a day and trying to get in 3 online sets I still have plenty of days where that doesn't work out, so I'm trying to maximize the time I do get. I think it's made me practice smarter in training mode, and I know it's helped me approach the online matches differently. I'm focusing more on the learning aspects of the matches which helps with not getting as nervous or frustrated as I have in the past. And I always come away from a session feeling overall good about the time I've spent (which I feel like is a near miracle with how sort of shitty SFV's online is) and with things to look forward to working on.

Its fun but it also takes time and it doesn't help that I'm feeling split across my hobbies right now. So FGs get a subset of a subset of time, and SFV ends up eating all of it because its the one I have the clearest goals for. I really want to put more time into Cross Tag and UNIEL as well but that's gonna require some circus quality juggling to pull off.

Still though better too many interesting hobbies than too few. 🙂 

You should definitely give it a go. If nothing else you should be able to pop up to UG but you could probably get to Plat if you're doing that well in casuals. Those are the results I was getting before I made my Gold run. Not sure how much difference there is between UG and SG but in Silver the difference wasn't too much. Mostly more consistent than the previous bracket.

One thing I regret out of that is not spending more time refining in US; I sort of stumbled over the finish line into Gold and while that was satisfying to hit that goal I didn't build the skills I needed to actually hang in Gold. Which I've been paying for now that I want to try to climb up in the Gold ranks. Better late than never.

I like the new DMC costumes and of course am all about Laura Gloria. Airman Rashid is also fantastic, though a) I never see Rashid players anymore, and b) I've almost never seen a Rashid player use anything other than the default costume so it may be a moot point.

@GetTheTables  I don't play enough to be consistent beyond Silver.  I've run into Gold players and to your point they are more consistent. Also I've realized for a few match ups that VT1 with Kolin is a better option and way out of practice with it. I think it's better for Zangief match. Hailstorm shenanigans don't work because Gief can lariat right through them. Guile's Flash Kick is similar but you can bait it out for CC punish.

Side note: Sick crossover costumes. Rashid gets another godlike addition to his wardrobe.

1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

@GetTheTables  I don't play enough to be consistent beyond Silver.  I've run into Gold players and to your point they are more consistent. Also I've realized for a few match ups that VT1 with Kolin is a better option and way out of practice with it. I think it's better for Zangief match. Hailstorm shenanigans don't work because Gief can lariat right through them. Guile's Flash Kick is similar but you can bait it out for CC punish.

Side note: Sick crossover costumes. Rashid gets another godlike addition to his wardrobe.

Yeah one of the defining factors I've found with high Silver/low Gold players is that they usually have their specific game plan refined enough through raw reps that it makes them really dangerous in bursts. Its around that point that you start to see people consistently hitting longer combos, having set ups/legit mix ups, hitting meaties, etc, and they have enough attack gimmicks to make short set adaptation tricky.

I keep waiting for players to level out and not throw out so much refined crazy but then I have to remind myself that this is SFV online and that is probably gonna happen for a long time. 🙂 

Recognizing when the different VTs are useful is definitely valuable. Everyone is sort of in the same boat of "pick this one 90% of the time" but its good to recognize when that 10% comes up and how it can be useful. Just blind picking the same VT over and over is leaving options on the table. Which, even with some character's VTs feeling pretty damn lopsided, is a waste in a game that isn't exactly overflowing with options.

1 hour ago, Bea_Iank said:

Remind to self, when I get home from work stressed and wanting to punch anyone and everything that I run into, play casual games on SFV only.

My skills and reactions decrease greatly when I am in that state.

I actually seem to play better angry. Not sure why, but I seem to play above my skill level when I'm pissed.

20 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I actually seem to play better angry. Not sure why, but I seem to play above my skill level when I'm pissed.

I am a bit doubtful that your angry is "punch concrete walls" levels of angry like mine, though.

That changes a lot. When work gets me angry, I question how I don't become green and go in a destructive rampage.

2 hours ago, Bea_Iank said:

I am a bit doubtful that your angry is "punch concrete walls" levels of angry like mine, though.

That changes a lot. When work gets me angry, I question how I don't become green and go in a destructive rampage.

I have a hard time focusing on one thing. When I'm mad I have a laser focus. It allows to focus only on Street Fighter. I think I'm undefeated after I read a YorKeY post. 😉

28 minutes ago, Bea_Iank said:

Yes, and for that Rose will have to give you spankings as well after she gives Menat her due spankings!

You realize that you are rewarding him for his behavior right?

I don't mind the loot boxes. So long as they're just full of goofy cosmetics or Survival Mode cheeseburgers or whatever for me its not an issue. I do kind of dislike that they're gonna have costumes behind that but that is more of an "I don't like that" thing than a real issue. Hell if I can stockpile enough cheeseburgers I might be able to finally AI exploit my way through the higher Survival levels.