Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

1 minute ago, Darc_Requiem said:

So apparently @Bea_Iank's ex-husbando ended her tournament dreams. Still good you for competing. I've been watching your rank on my friends list. You've passed my PS4 Kolin and are in striking distance of PC Kolin. I think you'll hit Gold before I do.

Yeah, 3 bars PS4 opponent ended my run there. I took the 1st match, but then rollback started to hit hard.

On the last match I had the game rollback my cr lp combo into his CA twice. 😞

But well, I took two matches which is far more than I expected to do. Next time I will do better.

1 minute ago, Bea_Iank said:

Yeah, 3 bars PS4 opponent ended my run there. I took the 1st match, but then rollback started to hit hard.

On the last match I had the game rollback my cr lp combo into his CA twice. 😞

But well, I took two matches which is far more than I expected to do. Next time I will do better.

You should be proud. You used Gief for years, you've only just picked up Sakura.

Another online session, another :tldr:

Rough night online yesterday. Ended up losing more than winning, though once again at least managed to end on some winning sets.

Trying to look back on it and figure out what went wrong is proving difficult (all mental right now, haven't had time to watch replays). I think one of the biggest things that got me was that at some point I definitely got tilted and that had me playing sloppier than usual (which isn't exactly immaculate to begin with) and autopiloting a bunch.

Identifying what caused the tilt is something I'd like to do so I can maybe mentally brace against it better in the future. I know I definitely get frustrated when I feel like I understand what the opponent is doing (especially when they're really rote about it) but I can't figure out a solution or implement it. I lost a set early on to a Gold Alex *fistshake* like that and I think that started the mental spiral. Then some Bisons and a Mika finished me off.

Another thing I need to work on is being more comfortable actually poking against rando onlines. What tends to happen is that I poke a bit, then if it doesn't work I start jumping or do something else bad. I think the CCs or yolo specials you run into (at least at this level) have me over-shook. It makes me feel like I'm playing most games off the back foot because I'm letting them attack as they want. Maybe that's just a symptom of Laura's little arms but I think its more my approach to it than anything.

I also need to work on being more willing do try stuff again if it fails. Like I'll try an off-book attack or sequence once but if it doesn't work I won't do it again. Which means my offense goes right back to being really straightforward and easier to deal with.

And damn it all I really need to use Laura's st.HP and cr.HP more. I had that as one of my things to work on this past session but that flew out the window pretty early on.

And double dammit I need to stop trying to interrupt pressure so much. It doesn't really work in this game outside of obvious negative situations and Laura's pokes sort of suck for it anyways. I need to either just continue to block it out, walk it out, or backdash. I sort of know this one but that definitely flew out of RAM once the tilt hit.

Some positive notes: I ran into a decently good Falke player and we had a great back and forth. Learned in this set that if you Draw a game in Ranked both players lose like 17 LP and you just go again. Lost this set when I started panic teching in the corner and died. Another thing I need to work on.

And my last set of the night was against an Akuma that thought it would be cute to teabag when he got a stun in the second game. I returned the favor in the 3rd game then killed him when he wiffed his spite Demon attempt. So that was nice.

Despite how discouraging and frustrating that was, I'm eager to play again. Part of me thinks that I overall need more exposure. I've played a relatively small number of games of Ranked and I think part of my problem is just playing the actual game enough to learn more what to expect. I definitely feel like in a lot of matches I'm going in blind. 

In drowning my sorrows yesterday I was reading online and someone mentioned playing 45 mins a day split between training and some matches. I'm not sure how feasible that exact plan is, but it would be good for me to play more often. Not just for reps; part of the problem with me playing one or two "long" sessions a week is that I sort of build them up in my head. I think that adds to the frustration when they don't go well.

Also, reading reddit (just to show how desperate I was) I came across a guy that was trying to encourage someone else to keep at it. They mentioned how they are a shit player but through playing a fuckload of games they managed to get to Diamond.

"Huh, that sounds a lot like Twin." *checks the username* "Twinblades89" 😁

I still feel kind of lost and flustered as to where to go next to try to right the ship but hopefully some more meditation on it will help.

After the fiasco that was the tournament and yesterday's terrible ranked night, I am having an itchy to go back to Gief.

But I will wait till I have my custom stick in hands to see if with a better stick that doesn't drop double taps like the hori mini will make my quality of life with Sakura improve.

The amount of DPs that didn't come out to punish whiffs and to AA yesterday night is daunting.

Missing inputs like that always crushes my soul a bit.

I still have the issue where I sometimes don't complete the very end of a QCF if I'm on 2P side. I think its a lot better than it used to be but every once in awhile it still comes up. It makes me sad when I miss a LP Bolt confirm but it super hurts when I throw out st.HP instead of HP Bolt. 

Dime and I could definitely do JoJo stand battles, but with words instead of chain punches.

When I have something really on the brain it really rattles around in there and leads to me to having a shitload of stuff to type out. The upside is that it means that I'm excited about and interested in something. The bad side is that anyone around me has to deal with my essays. 😁

The UNIEL thread is basically just me doing this to myself and misterBee being nice and making that thread look like I'm not talking to a mirror. 😝

7 hours ago, GetTheTables said:

Dime and I could definitely do JoJo stand battles, but with words instead of chain punches.

When I have something really on the brain it really rattles around in there and leads to me to having a shitload of stuff to type out. The upside is that it means that I'm excited about and interested in something. The bad side is that anyone around me has to deal with my essays. 😁

The UNIEL thread is basically just me doing this to myself and misterBee being nice and making that thread look like I'm not talking to a mirror. 😝

Bah, The Concept Thread is me talking to myself with the occasional member posting because they feel sorry for me. 😏

Meditation helped. As did the advice of folks across the various SRKs. 🙂

Thinking about it, I need to meet my SFV training time in the middle. I benefit a lot from reps and structure; just the way I’ve always learned most effectively. However I also need to get out there and actually apply what I’m learning, as well as work on the stuff that you can only really work on in matches. And I need to keep throwing myself into Ranked to get more used to the mental pressure and the…unique approach players take there, as a challenge.

To be a dork of a different stripe for a second I see it similar to how you train martial arts drills: introduce the concept, work it in partner drills, try to apply it with various levels of resistance, then see how it works out in actual sparing. The SFV analog would sort of be training mode time, BL/Casuals, and Ranked. Sort of. Ideally the final step would be a tournament/local but hell if I know of any of those near me. Plus at this point I’d be the old weird white guy there and I don’t have Highlandfireball’s rugged looks or accent to pull that off.

I’m going to try to play 30/45 minutes a day when I can. Won’t always be possible but its a good goal. That time is going to be rotated between training things I need to work on, Casual matches to build some confidence with it, and Ranked matches to pressure test it. And when I can get longer stretches I’ll hop back into Ranked to do more mental training and get more data to work with.

Today I’m going to go back through the last batch of Ranked matches and get Training/general practice focus ideas and hopefully get some matches in to practice the general stuff. Having a direction is exciting, and I’m looking forward to getting to it.

I also want to keep banging away at muh anime games, so having some dedicated practice time for fighting games in general will give me time to keep at UNIEL, Rev 2, and/or BBxTB (god help me I keep getting drawn to it like an anime moth to a waifu flame).

5 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Fujimura (Yukadon) just freed up Infiltraion. Reset the bracket and 6-0'd Infiltration. Crazy...Infiltration looked unstoppable all tournament. Fujimura just was just ridiculous today.

I watched it.  Fujimura showed NO respect to his Menat and NO fear in the face of death by bootyshaking.  Infiltration just couldn't get anything started this time.

Grats B. 😄 And you de-ranked a Ken in the process. Also good on you for protecting the identities of the fallen.

Time for my online report. :tldr: incoming.

So I've been able to stick mostly to the training plan I put together. 30ish minutes of working on stuff in training mode, then 3-5 online sets to try to apply. 

Overall, still a lot of ups and downs. The ups are that my AAs are better and I think as an aggregate I'm doing better against Ultra Silver/Gold players than I have been so far. The downs are that I'm not doing as well as I thought/wanted to be against the Ultra Silver/Gold players, and I'm still getting tilted/flustered under pressure.

Yesterday started off on a banger of a note: an Alex player who played like Jokee's advice was real (Lariat4Lyfe) with serious teleports periodically. That was a perfect combination of all the stuff that sets me off, and I really should have taken a break after it but I played straight on. Didn't do nearly as bad as I probably should have - especially since nerves and frustration at that point led to me dropping all kinds of stuff - but I really need to enforce a hard 5 minute break rule after matches like that. It does me no good to try to immediately hop back in.

Playing this game is a rollercoaster. One day I'll finish up and feel pretty good about myself even if I lost all my sets. The next day I feel like shit, even if I go mostly even (which is what ended up happening yesterday). 

I know one of the things that is frustrating me is the lack of what seems like progress, but I think I'm looking for that too soon and I think I'm expecting too much. Working at it isn't going to get me to 2-0 sets against players I was having problems with before overnight. I have to keep at it until enough lessons click into place to where that starts to happen.

The other thing that is sort of discouraging is taking a good hard look at how I'm playing in reviews. I thought I was doing okay there for awhile but it turns out I'm mostly shit. 🙂 The list of things I have to work on feels long, and that is without even getting into the really fine grain stuff.

Speaking of that, I think one of my bigger issues is that at a high level I don't really have an offensive plan. I just kind of sort of poke away and take what damage I can, turn things up when I get an LP Bolt or decent blockstring in, and sort of wait it out. That has served me well up to this point and it still works well against some of the crazies, but against the more defensive or even minded players I feel like I'm not doing enough to dictate the pace of the game or put pressure on my opponent. And it leaves me open for a lot of dash up stuff because I'm just sitting there waiting (though that is something I need to train; its on the list).

Despite discouragement and frustrations I'm sticking with it. If nothing else I'm getting more and more match up and general player tendency knowledge. I'm dipping back into Ranked on Weds to see how things go there, though I also don't want to de-rank too much if I can help it so I can keep getting experience against US/Gold (which is where I seem to need it).

Also has the connection quality been particularly shitty for anyone else? Out of the last couple of days of me playing only around 1/3 of the games I've played didn't have noticeable rollback. Granted I'm running into plenty of PC/PS4 crossplay (which I remember having issues) and fuckers keep showing up with Suzaku Castle and such for stages, which doesn't help.

I was thinking the other day: for the way I naturally want to play this game, maybe I should have picked Birdie. Not that I'm necessarily gonna do anything with that, just a random thought.