Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

Cross post for maximum SFV musing:

Been thinking about my ranked games more since I’ve been travelling the past few days. A lot of what I’ve come up with matches what Dime said [edit: in the SRK1 thread]: even fighting against Gold’s and Super Gold’s what is failing me are the same basics. Not AA’ing correctly, not dealing with cross up jumps, not checking dashes, not managing space well, not taking turns appropriately.

Another complication I’m having is that I’m fine-ish when someone wants to play the game similar to how I do. But when they jump a shitload or run a bunch or do something crazy a lot I don’t deal with that as well. More specifically I don’t think I shift gears fast enough to adjust to their game plan being different from what I expect or am ready to deal with.

I can usually get a good bead on what the opponent is likely to do by the end of the first game. Sometimes I can turn that into a second game win. And the third game can be a toss up based on if they change up from the second game.

I’d like to be able to turn that around faster. Not have to give up the first game so often and be able to adjust better if they pivot. Not sure how to get there but I’m guessing playing more games and getting more practice at it is the way to go for the near future.

Also need to work on Laura and match up specific stuff but that definitely just comes with time.

Not nearly as long,  But honestly, I just have days were I'm "off" or "on". Some days I just can't seem to AA for the life of me. Consistently playing at the same level is something I can't do. I remember a battle lounge that I was in months back. I was lowest ranked player by far at Silver. Occasionally, I'd have a game where I'd absolutely wreck a far better player. I remember Twin saying I was on a smurf account. 🤣 Other days, I'll get beaten by players that are worse than me. 😑

EDIT: We need a "DIME" emote. For really long posts. It should activate when someone types :TLDR: 😉

Edited by Darc_Requiem
7 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Not nearly as long,  But honestly, I just have days were I'm "off" or "on". Some days I just can't seem to AA for the life of me. Consistently playing at the same level is something I can't do. I remember a battle lounge that I was in months back. I was lowest ranked player by far at Silver. Occasionally, I'd have a game where I'd absolutely wreck a far better player. I remember Twin saying I was on a smurf account. 🤣 Other days, I'll get beaten by players that are worse than me. 😑

EDIT: We need a "DIME" emote. For really long posts. It should activate when someone types :TLDR: 😉

Yeah there are definitely hot days and cold days. You see the pros have them too. And as others have said mentality plays a lot into it; I know last time I played I had nerves set in early and I was sort of fighting against that the whole time.

Ideally, I'd like to bring the floor up. Like even when I have a bad night I'd like for it to be be better than "goddamn what a loser". 😉 Not that I think it's necessarily that bad now but you know what I mean. All part of that getting better thing. 

I watched the Chris T - Daigo interview that was making the rounds a week or three ago. At least for me, it hit on a lot of the problems I've had as a player so I thought it was a really useful watch. Plus it's not too long and decently produced so I thought it was a good watch.

Linked for convenience:

Edit: And yeah we need a Dime emote. He doesn't post here so far as I know but I can comparable to him when I really get rolling so it won't go to waste. 😁

Edited by GetTheTables
Vote for Dime emote
3 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Dime is a long time poster at SRK. He makes really long and well thought out posts. That said, we have a long running joke about how long his posts are. Just trying to be funny 😉

LOL ok.  Well if you have any good ideas for TLDR emotes let me know.

4 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

This is hilarious, I was only joking about the Anastacia thing. Apparently, It's real 🤣

417-728x90_rus.jpg

I could have told you it wasn't a joke.  😉

I, no bullshit, had a buddy in college that was really considering it. Used to bring up the site and show me who he was looking at. He never went through with it so far as I know but the weirdness of that experience always stuck with me.

7 hours ago, ZioSerpe said:

@TWINBLADES_SRK FT10 this weekend!
someone please prepare a banner for this grudge match!

Edit:

I got the pics and the layout ready, just need someone that can put my vision together

Ugh sure. I’m on literally all day on the weekends so whenever you are ready. I think you said you were back on Juri? I’m not good at that MU. 

10 hours ago, TWINBLADES_SRK said:

Ugh sure. I’m on literally all day on the weekends so whenever you are ready. I think you said you were back on Juri? I’m not good at that MU. 

We need a photshopper dude I have an hilarious idea for a title card but I cannot art.

4 hours ago, Bea_Iank said:

I am never going to switch to Mika.

She has huge... tracts of land!

Yes, yes she does. 

Also congrats! 😁 Keep on climbing!

:tldr: warning. Posting these helps to keep me motivated so I apologize but also :coffee:

Ranked Session 2 Report:

Managed to play for around 2 hours yesterday and I lost a dizzying amount of games and sets across it. The challenge level between the players I was used to and what I am running into now is widely different and I'm still learning how to deal with that.

I was actually really surprised to end the session slightly up from where I started. There was a time where I dipped back down into Super Silver and I figured that I may be better off retiring to JRPGs and other old people games. I lost the majority of my initial sets, including my warm up games, and damn is that demoralizing. Thankfully I managed to turn it around. Apparently I am exactly 3800 LP worth of skill. 😉

The one thing that was nice was that anyone that I ran into a second time, I won the sets against. Including a Gold Birdie, which was satisfying, and making a Bison quit the set. I also think my pressure with Laura is getting a little better. It is so damn important to be able to make momentum count with her and previously downbacking would mostly defeat me. Now at least I'm able to keep pressure up more often with Avante cancels and some staggered buttons which I'm seeing result in more stuns and cornering.

I still need to work on AAs. I don't use HP Bolt enough, I was still trying to jab AA (sort of had that beat out of me but I need to keep that habit dead), and I have a really bad habit of hitting back + MP to AA which results in MP Clap instead of st.MP, which in turn results in eating a sweet jump in combo. 

Also need to get better about just holding my ground and being patient. Most of the time when I get blown up I feel like its because I'm hitting buttons at bad times (often clearly bad times) or I'm teching when I shouldn't be. In general I think I get too nervous on defense and end up doing dumb stuff like that. Thankfully Ranked is full of psychos so I'll get plenty of practice blocking.

The upside of ending on winning sets is that I feel more motivated to get back to it then if I ended on losses, even if I'm mostly treading water. Its going to be serious baby steps to get to Platinum. I need to be able to actually hang in Gold first, then slowly climb up the rungs. It feels doable, which is good, but I also know I need a lot more practice and will probably take a good number more beatings before I'll really start to gain traction.

The fucking Guile horde. I feel like every time I play I run into another variant of the strain.

Last time it was a guy who figured out how to run serious pressure with him using the reduced Sonic Boom pushback. I got a decent handle on it and won a game (I think the first one) but instead of trying to backdash or do other things to reset pressure I resorted to contesting in place and ended up giving up the other two games.

Special shout outs to the laggy as fuck Abigail playing on Kanzuki Beach who salty 1-1'd after I won the second game.

The last set of the night was really satisfying though as I was able to wrangle a Mika into a clean 2-0. I'm still tempted by that character (the damage...) but goddamn if her player base isn't pants on head crazy at these ranks. I've run into exactly one that was sort of smart. All the others are living a YOLO life I can only sit by and be jealous of.

For me the Guile MU is a toss up after S3 since VT2 gives Kolin a way to deal with Guile. But since it's a finite resource, Kolin still has to win the neutral and that still requires mad work. What sucks is that theoretically Kolin should never win that MU by sure game plan. So when I beat Guile's it feels more like "oh they just suck mad dick" then "oh I'm good now". 

Case in point, there's this Grand Master Guile under the CFN Shazzy. This guy.... this fucking guy I swear is like the worst part of Guile amplified buy one billion. Literally perfect defense and boom game. If you are a fucking scrub you will not beat this guy. He's got like 100K points because he lives a breaths rank. 

Also what's stopping you from the unga bunga Mika play? Aren't you  a Mike lover?

Yeah the saving grace for me right now against most Guiles is that in this range they all go aggro at some point or another. Very, very rarely have I found one that will proper turtle up and make you work your way in. A lot of them will go in after you jump or block a couple of booms, especially if you can hang out in jump range long enough to make them nervous. And of course some of them are just balls out in a way that can be difficult to deal with, but is still way better than having to navigate Ikaruga just to apply a little pressure then get EX Flash Kicked into the 30th Anniversary Collection.

As for Mika, @OldManRage has heard me go back and forth on that a shitload, especially at the start of S3. The characters are as close as they ever been in relative efficacy. I initially played Mika but shifted away from her after she got blown up in the S2 transition. Starting S3 I didn't want to do the same with Laura and just keep jumping chars every year.

I was also worried that playing Mika a bunch would teach me a bunch of bad habits. But that is assuming I've developed any good habits playing anyone else. 🙂

I think Mika has much better burst output and her grab mix ups are way scarier, but I think Laura's overall kit gives her more flexibility and when she can get it rolling her pressure is awesome. That said, SFV is a game where burst potential is a big deal and Laura's is pretty mild outside of stun situations (and if you can't stay on someone's ass you're not getting the stun).

I still go back and forth sometimes. I fucking love command grabbing people and killing them so Mika is always on the edges of the SF part of my brain. Maybe I should embrace the unga and return to her ample bosom. We'll see. 

Fuck now I want to play her tonight. 👹

42 minutes ago, Bea_Iank said:

Sakura is the best SFV girl. There, I said it. She is my waifu after I divorced Gief!

Also, I am so not fucking ready for Latam South 1 tomorrow. I hope I won't lose all my matches by double perfect.

You'll do just fine. 😁 Give em hell!

Also goddamn that Kolin cosplay. The nose ring is....😵

3 hours ago, Bea_Iank said:

Sakura is the best SFV girl. There, I said it. She is my waifu after I divorced Gief!

Also, I am so not fucking ready for Latam South 1 tomorrow. I hope I won't lose all my matches by double perfect.

Good luck tomorrow!!!!!