Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

16 hours ago, misterBee said:

I'm waiting for the 'This Game is Dead' edition, which will include every costume.

I'll buy it, put it on my shelf, and never look at it again. 😎

The best part about that will be when it goes like SFIV Ultra: Capcom will wrap this game up and players will be ready to let it breathe for a little while (maybe even by then they'll have tuned up shit like the online and the remaining input lag), then Capcom will turn around and release a half baked version of SF6 within the next year and kill it. 🙃

Edited by GetTheTables
1 hour ago, GetTheTables said:

The best part about that will be when it goes like SFIV Ultra: Capcom will wrap this game up and players will be ready to let it breathe for a little while (maybe even by then they'll have tuned up shit like the online and the remaining input lag), then Capcom will turn around and release a half baked version of SF6 within the next year and kill it. 🙃

Capcom can't kill a game. A whiny player base that doesn't want to setup their own tournaments can. How long have Smash players been supporting Melee? It's got to be close to 20 years now. Despite no support from Nintendo and sequels being released.

1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Capcom can't kill a game. A whiny player base that doesn't want to setup their own tournaments can. How long have Smash players been supporting Melee? It's got to be close to 20 years now. Despite no support from Nintendo and sequels being released.

I totally agree. And I think you see plenty of that with people still running tournaments for games like 3rd Strike, Vampire Savior, ST, etc. 

Part of it is also that the culture has shifted. Games don't get the same amount of time to breathe like they used to (partially because people are actually making fighting games at a consistent rate). You're not playing the same game for 10+ years so players aren't building the same level of reverence/fondness for newer titles and without that you're not going to get the same level of player driven effort to organize and support events for games that aren't "current". 

In Capcom's case, they're incentivized to encourage players to stick with the most current game because that is what is gonna keep money flowing in (previously through raw sales, now from DLC/post release support). There is a lot of push to get players onto the latest game: all the official coverage is about the new game, pro players end up playing the new game over the old game due to more events and often much better prize support, and the casual/serious casual player base follows where the coverage and pro players go.

I'm not saying that is good or bad, or that recent-but-not-current games can't survive; I've seen SFIV and MK9 tournaments still plugging along. But I do think it makes it harder to have something like a 3rd Strike come out of this generation of games, actual game design considerations aside (i.e. are people really gonna want to play SFV when it isn't the Capcom zeitgeist?) 

I think we're some years off from when that comes to pass for SFV, but its interesting to think about. 🙂

With the internet and social media of today, it's far easier to organize than back in the 3S days. I still remember going AOL message boards and hearing about Alex "Valley". I remember seeing Viscant post. You'd hear about players or tech via word of mouth. Now with Twitch, YouTube, etc. you can find people with like interests and organize events with far less legwork. I think it comes down to the bulk of the people being more interested in complaining than supporting the game they claim to love. Eventhubs articles are filled with people bitching about SFV and bitching about the lack of coverage for other games. When they do post non SFV related articles, they receive few comments. The few comments left always have people mentioning SFV. :tldr:

Edited by Darc_Requiem
1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

With the internet and social media of today, it's far easier to organize than back in the 3S days. I still remember going AOL message boards and hearing about Alex "Valley". I remember seeing Viscant post. You'd hear about players or tech via word of mouth. Now with Twitch, YouTube, etc. you can find people with like interests and organize events with far less legwork. I think it comes down to the bulk of the people being more interested in complaining than supporting the game they claim to love. Eventhubs articles are filled with people bitching about SFV and bitching about the lack of coverage for other games. When they do post non SFV related articles, they receive few comments. The few comments left always have people mentioning SFV. :tldr:

For sure. And the tech we have now makes it way easier to keep games alive in general. Hell I'm doing that a bit myself with playing anime games here with misterBee. This is definitely the best it's been in terms of keeping a scene alive.

I just wonder how much people really care about that with modern games sometimes. Plus with SFV I have concerns over what happens when Capcom pulls the CFN plug out, but that only matters on a really long time line.

45 minutes ago, misterBee said:

The second thing I wake up in the morning and think is "Now that I know how to disappoint @Darc_Requiem, how will I infuriate @TWINBLADES_SRK today?"

Kolin banned in srk2 fight nights.

jk.  Maybe.

Like any of the fight nights here are gonna be SFV in the first place for her to be banned. 😛

On 6/20/2018 at 2:54 PM, Darc_Requiem said:

See you in four years :coffee:

This ain't gonna be a SF3 type Deadzone.

We're talkin' G.R.R. Martin tier levels of Stephen King, after THIS travesty.

Like, completing The Dark Tower saga levels of the King, I mean Dark Stalkers Are Not Dead,  levels of 'Dem Bones is BANANAS levels of jelly of shit for substance, more tits, all gone.

Edited by JHDK
No V-ism in King, sadly.
On 6/23/2018 at 1:29 PM, JHDK said:

This ain't gonna be a SF3 type Deadzone.

We're talkin' G.R.R. Martin tier levels of Stephen King, after THIS travesty.

Like, completing The Dark Tower saga levels of the King, I mean Dark Stalkers Are Not Dead,  levels of 'Dem Bones is BANANAS levels of jelly of shit for substance, more tits, all gone.

Nothing to do with a deadzone. We still have two seasons after this one. They'll most likely be one year for the "complete edition." SFVI would launch after that.

4 minutes ago, GetTheTables said:

Yeah with the way Capcom has been running CPT and with how successful it has been for them I don't imagine we'll see another year without a SF something coming out. Whether it is a new season for SFV or the launch of SFVI, they'll want to keep up the momentum they have built.

It is going to crash and burn.

Just as it should.

I'd be fine with that. I have anime in muh veins. 🇯🇵

But if SFV taught me anything it is that the name "Street Fighter" can still have a lot of pull, even when people don't really like the game attached to it. 

To put it another way, if their CPT has been this successful so far with SFV as it's draw, imagine what they could do with a game that people actually liked. 🙂

The questions to me are: can modern Capcom actually make that game, and even if they can is the whole eSports push going to eventually turn against them as it pushes the pro league further and further away from the community that they're trying to tap into to generate enthusiasm and $$$.

We've got another 2 years before we see how they play it.

11 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I can't watch an innocent girl take a beating, I volunteer to take her place 😉

Why would anyone want to take a spanking?

And her fate is sealed. Her cards have been read. And I have already paid Dias for the art. 😛

12 hours ago, misterBee said:

Again.  Did someone say spanking? 🤤

15 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

If a woman that looks Rose wants to spank me then it's a sacrifice I'd have to make.

You are all degenerates and should be ashamed!
Embrace the path of purity, chastity and innocence! 😇

Question for those who played random survivor. How do you obtain the silver color costumes after beating your opponent? I beaten silver Kolin, Urien, Nash, and Necalli, but when I go to see if they have those colors it's not selectable. I'm guessing I gotta go to the shop and buy the colors there?

5 minutes ago, Onyxe said:

Question for those who played random survivor. How do you obtain the silver color costumes after beating your opponent? I beaten silver Kolin, Urien, Nash, and Necalli, but when I go to see if they have those colors it's not selectable. I'm guessing I gotta go to the shop and buy the colors there?

you win them from lewtbuxxes

3 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

I mentioned this at SRK1. Marlowe has a motor in the back of her Honda.

Cody knows how to staff an office.

Giggity

Edit: Also I got the Cannon Spike costume with the free loot box they gave. Is that supposed to happen? Still not playing Cammy tho nice try Ono 👺

Edited by GetTheTables
Costume and damn auto correct

@Darc_Requiem Your Dunkin Donuts sponsored  :tldr:  for the week. Because misterBee asked so nicely I made sure this one wouldn't bring down the servers.

Yesterday was weird. Wife called saying that the dog walker couldn't get to our house because there was a gas leak in the neighborhood and people were being evacuated. She was understandably really concerned about our pets. Thankfully I have some flexibility at work so I was able to head home and by the time I got there everything was fine and the critters were okay. 

That left me with an afternoon to train the dog and play SFV (so I guess training me and the dog). Training games went well; really well in some places. I also managed to luck into getting a person in the battle lounge I set up that a) was better than me, b) was using characters I wanted to get more experience against, and most critically c) didn't bounce after a set or change characters fucking constantly. The connection was kind of rollbacky but it was still playable so I was happy to take what I could get.

I'm trying to work on stuff like mid-match movement, spacing, uses more backdashes, and being less predictable. Things I can only practice in matches, but that has the knock on effect of also giving me more experience versus characters as they come along. Which is good because I still have plenty of gaps - outside of the shotos, Cammy, and maybe Kolin and Guile, I feel like I'm jazz performing my way through too many match ups. Like with Guile the match up sucks but at least I feel like I know it at least at a basic level at this point which goes a long way to making it more mentally bearable and manageable.

More specifically I know I need more Bison experience - I feel like I do well enough against bad Bisons but once they have a good-ish game plan I don't know how to handle them well - and I damn sure need more Ibuki experience. Ibuki in particular is a pain in the ass to gain match up knowledge against because when I'm playing against someone who is really on point with her the matches go pretty damn quick and I don't feel like I get much time to learn. Which I'm fine with; just need someone to be willing to kick my ass for a good number of games back to back until I figure more stuff out.

Cody is pretty cool. I actually really like the way he is put together in general. I wouldn't have thought that he would be the kind of character I'd like but I dig the space control he has while also being able to shit out some damage and pressure when he wants to. If I had room in my lizard brain for more muscle memory than Laura I'd definitely give him time. 

Online Codys have been more disappointing than I expected. I've been expecting plenty of unga and VSkill madness but all I've run into is some half assed zoning, Zonk "neutral" (not even EX), and unconfirmed Ruffian kicks into death. I'm looking forward to when the online crazies step their game up.

39 minutes ago, misterBee said:

You'll never beat me if you keep playing the wrong game.  🙂

Leave me my foolish toil. 😛

Like I said the other day, sort of a sunk cost fallacy with time and energy at this point. Also helps keep me motivated which is something.

And for how whack SFV's design can be it has gotten me to think more critically and train smarter in a way that I'm not sure I would have done had I really thrown myself at any other game. 

So even if I'm not specifically practicing stuff in UNIEL or Cross Tag, I'm still building valuable skills for when I snap/SFV support ends and I go full 🇯🇵

Also back off me man I played Cross Tag for like an hour yesterday I even posted about it

29 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

@GetTheTables plays Tekken?

If I had a time machine and could go back the 10 years or so I'd need to make up in order to feel like I could at all keep up in that game, maybe. But considering I still feel like I'm getting a handle on SFV (by all accounts the baby game for baby scrubs in terms of difficult to play) I'm content to just watch Josie bounce and high kick from afar.

Edited by GetTheTables