Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

3 hours ago, misterBee said:

The only new char that matters is Necro.  Where is Necro? 

Somewhere in the background of G's arcade mode ending pic? 

Also, I got to say that playing G is easily the most fun I've had in SFV so far. He is definitely going to be a character I'm sticking with for a while in this game.

... Actually, now that I think about it,  where is Makoto?

7 hours ago, The_Weasel said:

Somewhere in the background of G's arcade mode ending pic? 

Also, I got to say that playing G is easily the most fun I've had in SFV so far. He is definitely going to be a character I'm sticking with for a while in this game.

... Actually, now that I think about it,  where is Makoto?

Glad you're enjoying G! He's a rad character.

Makoto is rumored every time the new seasons roll around. She's a very popular character so there is always the chance that she shows up. Good news is that Capcom learned from their silhouettes in S1/S2 and they just cold revealed everyone for S3, so we should know the S4 cast after the CPT finals. Keep an eye out for a scarf karate girl maybe showing up then.

:tldr: post about EVO starting now. @Darc_Requiem some light reading for you fam. 😉

Spoiler

This was my first time attending EVO after several years of watching it online. For anyone that can go and is a fighting game enthusiast, I highly, highly recommend it. Even cutting out all the eSports production shit that I could give or take, it is an amazing thing to be in a huge convention hall full of people who are all talking about, buying stuff for/from, cosplaying as characters from, and playing fighting games. It is almost worth the trip alone just to walk around and see all the stuff there and what people get into.

Pertho mentioned this at another point talking about EVO but I want to re-iterate it because it is interesting and especially relevant: while there is a lot of talk about the FGC, what you really have with the FGC are a bunch of smaller communities of folks playing similarly themed games that can sort of coalesce around that idea. EVO really highlights that because the way everything it set up really highlights how many communities come together to form “the FGC” as we know it. It’s not even a stew; more like a buffet or salad bar. No real point here, just something interesting to see (and also why I can imagine it can be a bitch pulling people together as a TO for smaller events).

The event itself was run decently well, so far as I could tell. More than enough space for the different pools of players to spread out so nothing felt cramped or like people were playing games right on top of each other which is fairly logistically impressive considering the fuckloads of people there at any given time. The facilities in the convention hall were fine – bathrooms were okay by those standards (though I never dared the stalls) and the concessions were at least in line with the regular Vegas resort shakedown prices – but the best thing is that you can easily just walk out of the convention center and walk like 5 mins around Mandalay Bay to find anything else you could want. And although they made people ditch non-water drinks they were carrying in, no one gave me static for my water bottle or checked my backpack so I started every day with a decent store of snacks and water.

Decent footwear is key. It is still a big ‘ol convention hall which means you’re just thudding around on a hard floor the whole day. Even with sitting down to play games you’re still going to be doing plenty of standing and walking so plan appropriately. Chairs seem to migrate as the day goes on and people want to crowd around certain pools matches so you may not always be able to find a place to chill. Though worse comes to worse you can just queue up for some random casual match just to sit long enough to get bodied.

Speaking of casuals, with this being my first tournament event I didn’t know what to expect for casuals. Turns out, it is exactly casual: people just post up where the fuck ever, how the fuck ever. Some use the BYOC area, some post up on the pools stations after the pools start winnowing down (though in a lot of cases it was the players that finished higher in the pools just sticking around and playing), and people hopping on any old monitor that was around (BenQ had demos of the head-to-head monitors up as an example and folks were on and off that all day). Now I know for next time. I am very minorly tempted to pick up a PS4 on the cheap at some point and load SF5 on it just so I can set up shop at the BYOC area but that is an extravagance I’ll probably have to do without (plus I’d hate to lug that and the Obsidian out to Vegas).

Sunday finals were cool. Was really easy to get in and out of the area; just had to keep getting the ticket scanned. So if you wanted to dip out between games, totally doable (and exactly what I did during Melee and DBFZ). I paid for a floor seat which I would do again despite the premium. It was nice to know I had the seat to come back to and I actually got super lucky: aside from the guy sitting in front of me being tall and animated, the seats around me were empty all day. Wouldn’t always get that lucky but great when it works out that way. I think it is most worth it if you want to watch enough of the games live (3/5, at least 2/5). Otherwise if you’re just there for one game it is probably more cost effective to get gen admission seating and snipe a good spot between game transitions.

As stated earlier, I failed at getting casual matches in so the only games I played all weekend were in the SF5 tournament. Even with so much of the weekend spent watching though, I feel like I learned a lot. Being able to watch so many people play (many of which are very good players) was very insightful and I had some legit lightbulb moments. Heavy caveat to this: SF5 is the first fighting game I’ve put real time into playing against other people, so a fair chunk of these things are probably rote to vets of previous games. But I wanted to share for anyone else that is likewise still learning how to get better at this game.

The first one was sort of a reinforcement of something I’ve been thinking for a little while: I’m too “by the numbers” in this game. Up until fairly recently I’ve been playing SF5 very “safe”: don’t press while negative, don’t press on wake up, don’t press after plus frames, don’t throw out negative moves that can be blocked (even unpunishable ones), only do tight frame traps, stuff like that. While a lot of those are good directives, if you always play by the numbers and by the book in this game I feel it is easy for your opponent to get a sense of your rhythm and tendencies. Calculated challenges are necessary to keep your opponent guessing. I started to realize this when I thought about how much better I felt playing UNIST: it is because I don’t know what is “right” or “wrong” in that game so I’m more willing to try shit out and see what works in each situation, as opposed to coming to a scenario with a pre-arranged idea of what I should or shouldn’t do. At least in this game I think you need to play “smart random” sometimes.

The second thing is that I came away feeling like I can get anywhere with enough practice and experience. That may not actually be true – at some point I’ll hit the limits of what my old man brain and hands can do – but watching the really good players impressed upon me how much that pays off. You saw it in the GF – Problem seemed to have more experience and research into the Bison vs. Akuma match up than Tokido did the opposite (and in fairness I think most players would) – but I also saw it during pools. It is one thing to watch someone playing really well on a stream; for whatever reason that skill was impressed upon me much more when I saw it in person. I guess it is more the reinforcement that these players aren’t grown in a vat and periodically set loose to ravage the competitive fighting game world. They’re guys and gals like the rest of us that have put in the time to be badasses. Except for CJ Truth. That guy is clearly a robot. Basically I need to keep at it, get games in, and keep practicing. Don’t get too down on myself for when things don’t go the way I’d like; so long as I’m learning and trying to work on good habits, even losses are good experience in the long run. I sort of knew that stuff already but it was impressed upon me how much of a long haul it is to get *really* good at this or any game. Gotta settle in for the grind, whether it is in training mode or in matches.

Overall I came away from the weekend feeling massively motivated to continue working at SF5 and UNIST. I haven’t magically developed more free time, unfortunately, but if I spend what time I have focusing on practicing smartly and I spend my match time learning, I think I’ll do just fine. Whatever that means in the end. Hopefully one of these years it means I can make it to day 2 of pools but however far I get in general it’ll be fun working to get there.

Last rah-rah bit: fighting games are great. Even though we are a bunch of disparate tribes under a really loose banner that common thread still unites a bunch of people in a cool way. Like I’m pretty sure one of the people I played knew just enough English to get matches rolling but we were able to play a set no problem and just from watching him play I learned stuff. Not a lot of hobbies have that feature and I think it is pretty cool that we can all be united by mashing buttons.

I also managed to fight off another round of character temptation with G and decided to stick with Laura for the foreseeable future. Although she has some issues to her I still really like the way she plays and more practically I think my bigger issues are fundamental things that shifting characters isn’t going to fix anyways, so I might as well stick with a character I enjoy and know while I work on that stuff. I do want to get back to work on a pocket Falke, both because I like the character and because then I’ll be primed to capitalize when S4 comes and buffs both those ladies up.

@misterBee I mentioned it briefly but all the above applies to UNIST as well. Gonna try to split my time and keep up with the anime. 👍 

G and Sagat are the first characters that I think have come along that legit gave the game a shot in the arm. I think its a combination of Sagat being faithful to his archetype and being well executed in the context of SF5, and G having a design that really sticks to some people. 

Been playing and practicing and it seems to be paying off. Gonna keep at it and hopefully get some Ranked time this weekend just to see if I can start the climb up the Gold ranks. 

Also doubled down yesterday and also played some UNIST. That game continues to be great.

I posted this elsewhere, but I think I'm going to take a break from fighting games of all types for a while. Nothing I play seems fun to me anymore and my local scene is full of greedy, lazy a-holes that just make shit more toxic and drama-fueled than it has to be.

Also, my internet is trash and anything better costs more than probably anywhere else in 'Murrica because of telecom companies basically having a monopoly on territory rights, so... Yeah, $150 a month for internet I can actually get matches with y'all on in any game I play is out of the question unless I move out of my home state and go somewhere else... And that's not really an option either...

TL;DR I'm depressed, so I'm gonna play some other stuff in my backlog.

Edited by The_Weasel
14 hours ago, The_Weasel said:

I posted this elsewhere, but I think I'm going to take a break from fighting games of all types for a while. Nothing I play seems fun to me anymore and my local scene is full of greedy, lazy a-holes that just make shit more toxic and drama-fueled than it has to be.

Also, my internet is trash and anything better costs more than probably anywhere else in 'Murrica because of telecom companies basically having a monopoly on territory rights, so... Yeah, $150 a month for internet I can actually get matches with y'all on in any game I play is out of the question unless I move out of my home state and go somewhere else... And that's not really an option either...

I hope you feel better man. Depression is no joke.

On 8/17/2018 at 6:39 PM, The_Weasel said:

Man I'm really sorry to hear that.  The internet problem is really unfortunate -- if you ever find a suitable solution I'll play with you online any time! 😃

17 hours ago, GetTheTables said:

Same.

Sucks about online and your local scene.

Hope you have fun working through the backlog. 🙂

18 hours ago, misterBee said:

Man I'm really sorry to hear that.  The internet problem is really unfortunate -- if you ever find a suitable solution I'll play with you online any time! 😃

On 8/18/2018 at 5:42 AM, Darc_Requiem said:

I hope you feel better man. Depression is no joke.

Thanks for the words y'all. Playing through Yakuza 0 is making me mad that Tekken 7 didn't get Kiryu or Majima as a guest character... Well, that's in between doing Karaoke, The Batting Cages, the Driving Range, Playing Outrun & Space Harrier, Phonecall hook-ups... I'll probably drop 100 hours into that game just in sidequests.

Also, I kind of want a Season 4 of SFV or a new game that has Fei-Long back... And I don't know why.

If I had the time I'd play the fuck out of the Yakuza games. They seem great but they're also pretty deep games and nowadays I'm lucky to make it through something like a Gears of War campaign. 

Had the chance to get in a bunch of games this weekend, at least relative to how much I usually get to play. 50-60 games across Ranked, Casual, and Battle Lounge.

Still riding the low Gold bubble. I was kind of hoping to climb more based on the matches I’ve been getting in and how well those have been going, but I clearly need to work on becoming more consistent. I’m losing sets too consistently to really make it anywhere.

Part of it is that I still get frazzled in Ranked. That is just gonna take time and matches to work out. The other thing is that Ranked is where I feel like you see even more gimmicks and a lot of them are working on me. Exposure to that kind of stuff helps and I can take it back to the lab, which I definitely need to do. Across all the matches I have a lot of things I can practice against so hopefully that will help.

Looking at it more critically, I’m noticing core things that I need to work on:

• My space management sucks. I spend too much time either out of threat range or inside the opponent’s threat range and in both cases I don’t realize that I’m there quickly enough to do the right things (i.e. hit buttons or not hit buttons).
  • My button choices suck. Big part of learning to play in general. I mostly have worked past hitting really dumb buttons (though I still definitely do it) which is a start, but now I need to work on hitting actually smart buttons in situations and ranges.
  • My AAs are getting good but I don’t get enough off of them. I can get better mix ups afterwards and most of the time I’m just getting a weak pressure string.
  • Offense is still too linear. This is gonna take time to work on. I think for the most part the individual moves and sequences I’m doing offensively are okay, but I need to work varying up the timing of them, when I throw which thing out, when I insert pauses, etc.
  • I still have straight fuck ups. Bad MP Bolts (mostly overeager confirms), dropped combos, missed punishes, and bad inputs (I have a bad rare habit of doing EX Bolt when I mean to do EX Clap and it almost always happens on block and leads to death).
  • I never defensively backdash. This sucks on wake up especially but I could also be doing it during some blockstrings to save myself some headache. I literally never even think to do it and that is something I need to work on.
  • Rarely do I throw bait on purpose. The good news is that I’m recognizing more when I should be doing it. The bad news is that I haven’t practiced it enough to be ready to do it when it comes time.
  • As part of learning what buttons to use I also need to get better at using Laura’s applicable specials. The biggest one I’m bad with has been her fireball. Watching more Idom matches, he uses it much more as a footsies tool than I’ve been doing and that makes a fuckload more sense. Short term application of that has made a big difference so I need to keep that kind of stuff in mind.

Some of these things are tricky because of Laura’s kit – not great at poking, slow walk speed – but a lot of it is player experience. Saturday was a lot of fact finding and Sunday was a lot of trying to apply some of this stuff in BL matches. It worked out here and there but I still have a long way to go.

It is funny because it’s this game and its online so you see a lot of players doing “well” with some of the silliest, gimmickiest bullshit. And here I am playing Laura, one of the pinnacles of throwing dumb bullshit at the opponent and killing them before they get their bearings, but I’m trying to learn spacings, normal choices, “clean play”, “footsies”, whatever.

But I do honestly want to learn to play better, not just win more. I don’t want to make it to Platinum or whatever just to realize that my gameplan sucks and won’t carry me any further. And in the future whenever SF6 comes out I’d like to go into that more fundamentally sound that I came into SF5. Though to Highlandfireball’s point it may be better to play DBFZ or Cross Tag to better prep for how anime SF6 may be.

Even with this game being as fucked up as it is I feel like I’ve already learned a lot and it’s helped me when I’ve picked up other games too (this may ultimately be the lasting value of SF5 ) . Anyways, that’s all my rambling. Gonna keep at it and hopefully grind it up a bit more before leaving for vacation this week. Then I’ll come back refreshed and surely maul some bitches.

OK, so after a little break to catch up on my backlog of games and detox a little from SFV, I come back in, complete the Monster Hunter & Air Man stuff, get the SF1 "Mike" costume on my first try... And then I somehow end up in a casual match with who I think is Fuudo? As my first "Live" match in SFV in almost a month?

Yeah, crazy-cool day. I almost won a round on him too with Ed.

EDIT: After some exhaustive research, I now cannot confirm that the R. Mika player I fought really was Fuudo. But the account  was from China and Fuudo is in China right now for the latest CPT event, the name on PSN was "Maapofuudo" and he fought like every match video of Fuudo's R. Mika I've ever seen... No schoolgirl costume though; It was the red default that Fuudo used at EVO in the finals.

Edited by The_Weasel
16 hours ago, The_Weasel said:

OK, so after a little break to catch up on my backlog of games and detox a little from SFV, I come back in, complete the Monster Hunter & Air Man stuff, get the SF1 "Mike" costume on my first try... And then I somehow end up in a casual match with who I think is Fuudo? As my first "Live" match in SFV in almost a month?

Yeah, crazy-cool day. I almost won a round on him too with Ed.

EDIT: After some exhaustive research, I now cannot confirm that the R. Mika player I fought really was Fuudo. But the account  was from China and Fuudo is in China right now for the latest CPT event, the name on PSN was "Maapofuudo" and he fought like every match video of Fuudo's R. Mika I've ever seen... No schoolgirl costume though; It was the red default that Fuudo used at EVO in the finals.

Welcome back! 😄

Busy tournament weekend. Angry Bird showed that he's the world's best Zeku by taking Ultimate Fighting Arena. Caba continues to be the strongest player from the Dominican Republic this year with a victory at First Attack. Despite some questionable at best brackets, OilKing rode his short shorts to victory with his impressive Rashid play at Final Fighters China. Last but not least, Punk looked like his 2017 rendition taking Summer Jam with Karin.

I think I have hit my new low for SFV today. In exactly two hours of gametime, I have lost over 100 matches in a row between casual & ranked play and now have exactly 0 LP. To add insult to injury, the one person that I actually got a win on disconnected from the server like the pussy-punk Blanka-Chan playing bitch that he is.

Why? Why am I so free at this game? Why does everything I ever try get perfectly countered and turned into losing 60% of my life bar with a single combo? Why do I get thrown right on the start-up of EX moves over and over again? Why are Ibuki players pure cancer? Why do my results stay the same no matter who I play or whatever tactics I employ?

It honestly depresses the hell out of me. That for all of the hours I put into this game, I gradually end up playing worse and worse while those around me get better... It's not just fighting games anymore either; Anything skill-based I seem to enjoy has become a strain on my mind and more of a chore than any kind of enjoyment.

So, y'all better PM me for matches so you can get free points and stuff, because I'm in a funk that nothing is going to get me out of today.

14 hours ago, The_Weasel said:

I think I have hit my new low for SFV today. In exactly two hours of gametime, I have lost over 100 matches in a row between casual & ranked play and now have exactly 0 LP. To add insult to injury, the one person that I actually got a win on disconnected from the server like the pussy-punk Blanka-Chan playing bitch that he is.

Why? Why am I so free at this game? Why does everything I ever try get perfectly countered and turned into losing 60% of my life bar with a single combo? Why do I get thrown right on the start-up of EX moves over and over again? Why are Ibuki players pure cancer? Why do my results stay the same no matter who I play or whatever tactics I employ?

It honestly depresses the hell out of me. That for all of the hours I put into this game, I gradually end up playing worse and worse while those around me get better... It's not just fighting games anymore either; Anything skill-based I seem to enjoy has become a strain on my mind and more of a chore than any kind of enjoyment.

So, y'all better PM me for matches so you can get free points and stuff, because I'm in a funk that nothing is going to get me out of today.

I hear ya man. Between the online and how this game plays it is really easy to have some really bad streaks.

I also find that playing ranked/casual in general is a really hard way to really learn sometimes. Ranked players tend to be crazy and Casual players are still usually pretty nutty so much of those matches is more learning how to fight against crazy than necessarily learning any lasting lessons. 

I found that running more structured, learning based Battle Lounge sets was extremely helpful when I was trying to get more consistent at the game. I'm always up for running sets like that if you ever want to give that a go. Just let me know and we can try to set it up.

I sort of meant to play SFV yesterday but I just recently bought Into The Breach on Switch and I essentially lost a whole day to it yesterday. Damn that game is good. Gonna get back to SFV and UNIST this weekend while my wife is on night shift. 

1 hour ago, misterBee said:

I'd say SFV is the bottom of the ladder tbh. If it wasn't called 'Street Fighter' the game would have been forgotten already.

👼🏼

When he's right he's right.

I have fun with SFV but the game has a lot of fucked design decisions. The biggest upside it has is it's really active player base. Offset by the online being really hit or miss.

Sort of drives me nuts because SFV, Tekken 7, and DBFZ are probably the most active FGs out right now. I don't like DBFZ. I have a fascination with T7 but the wall on that game feels really high to climb and I still don't think I like 3D fighters that much. Which leaves me with good ol SFV. My kingdom for more popular anime. we

My current solution is to just chain run Into the Breach so I don't have to face the issue. 😛

On 9/6/2018 at 5:48 AM, GetTheTables said:

I hear ya man. Between the online and how this game plays it is really easy to have some really bad streaks.

I also find that playing ranked/casual in general is a really hard way to really learn sometimes. Ranked players tend to be crazy and Casual players are still usually pretty nutty so much of those matches is more learning how to fight against crazy than necessarily learning any lasting lessons. 

I found that running more structured, learning based Battle Lounge sets was extremely helpful when I was trying to get more consistent at the game. I'm always up for running sets like that if you ever want to give that a go. Just let me know and we can try to set it up.

I sort of meant to play SFV yesterday but I just recently bought Into The Breach on Switch and I essentially lost a whole day to it yesterday. Damn that game is good. Gonna get back to SFV and UNIST this weekend while my wife is on night shift. 

I'll probably hit you up for a Battle Lounge like that sometime next week. I'm going out to a friend's house tomorrow for a party and he has very good Internet Connection speed, but IMO it's bad form to bring a laptop to something social like that. Besides, I'm going to have to re-learn everything because in addition to learning the long, difficult road of Bob Sagat and The President of The World, I've started to learn Ed with his V-Trigger II and it's basically a whole new character again. I can see some potential with him in that version, but Sagat & G are so much better overall it's harder and harder to stick with him.

I mainly have been fighting the SFV blues with extended runs at Enter the Gungeon and Yakuza 0, while I know Soul Calibur VI and the Hokuto No Ken-ized Yakuza spin-off coming will keep me occupied next month and into the 'Murrican holiday season.

14 hours ago, misterBee said:

I'd say SFV is the bottom of the ladder tbh. If it wasn't called 'Street Fighter' the game would have been forgotten already.

👼🏼

It could be worse, it could be game that is constantly rolling out guest characters to stay relevant. If you have to rely on everyone else's IP to push your own. Then your IP has major issues. At least Sega was straight up with Fighters Megamix. And even that game had all Sega IPs. When you are putting Walking Dead characters in your game, you epitomize jumping the shark. 

2 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

It could be worse, it could be game that is constantly rolling out guest characters to stay relevant. If you have to rely on everyone else's IP to push your own. Then your IP has major issues. At least Sega was straight up with Fighters Megamix. And even that game had all Sega IPs. When you are putting Walking Dead characters in your game, you epitomize jumping the shark. 

Tekken 7 has been going really strong and it's not because of guest characters.  It's a good looking game with a ton of depth and lots of fun characters.  Don't throw shade because you can't handle it. 😉

On 9/8/2018 at 8:53 AM, GetTheTables said:

I have fun with SFV

How? 

I nearly only have fun doing battle lounges and even there being constantly jab AAd by @TWINBLADES_SRK Kolin brings high levels of sodium chloride.

I honestly can't remember having fun in ranked and casuals outside of the early Sagat matches. 

I honestly think that SFV and DBFZ are the least fun games I own. 

I also think I would deeply enjoy Tekken if I got into it, but it has a really obnoxious cast, there isn't a single character I find appealing. 

So find myself still here hoping that ArcSys finally hits it big or that SNK delivers a KoF that has Angel in it and doesn't make me wanna commit sudoku because of shitty graphics. 

SamSho looks legit, but I literally live in KoF town, and I doubt it will pick up here

Edited by ZioSerpe