Stage Select

The Street Fighter V Thread

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. SF5 already has fake-ass roman cancels and Kage brought in some legit air combos.

One thing I've found funny is that for as much as people come back to SF because "its SF" and it does have a particular way it plays, a not-insignificant chunk of the player base would also love to see the game get, effectively, anime'd up. Longer combos, more juggles, flashier supers, other zany stuff. And yet none of these fuckers will touch UNIST with a 10 foot body pillow. 😠

@Darc_Requiem Two quick follow ups about Laura since you are the only other person I know that is in the zip code of giving a fuck 😉:

1) They definitely buffed the range on VT2's grab. It used to be crazy short range - either as short as her regular throw or maybe a little worse - but now it is right around the same range as LK Sunset. With that she could probably legit grab someone out of a pressure string, though only if they were close range. Thankfully SF5 has the stubby normals.

2) You can indeed cross cut HP Bolt now. The timing on it is tricky and it doesn't work as well as a DP for the obvious reasons, but it's definitely doable. Not sure how worthwhile it is over dash under/jump back but I'll leave that to the actual good players to figure out.

Bonus discord tech: some folks are experimenting with using the ability to VSkill cancel the second hit of TC into Avante/Equiva for set ups (VSkill back, clap/EX clap, do x, y, z) or another way to get cross unders in VT1. May see some interesting shenanigans as the year rolls on if they don't kill it in 4.5.

19 hours ago, misterBee said:

SFV creeps closer and closer to becoming an anime game every year.  SF6 will have air dashes BET IT.

Kage can essentially air dash in VT2. He gets faster version of Akuma's teleport that he can do in the air or on the gorund. He can also wall bounce people twice mid air with meter. He is an anime character. If you like Anime characters, he is the one for you.

@misterBee

Edited by Darc_Requiem
On 12/28/2018 at 4:03 PM, Darc_Requiem said:

So what are everyone's thoughts on the Season 4 Balance patch so far?

I agree with the general sentiments that it is the best rounded patch Capcom has put out for this game. They went a little over and under in some places, but no one really got torpedoed or shot full of HGH, and whatever outliers there are they can hopefully correct with the inevitable pre-CPT season patch.

Laura seems like she is still mostly the same character and I may be over that kind of play style so I'm officially sleeping around until I find someone to settle on for S4. Kolin and Birdie are still in the general running but the current top of my dance card is G. Played a shitload of matches with him yesterday against Will and honestly probably did about as well with him day 0 as I have done in the past with my Laura.

I don't think its a power curve thing (though G definitely feels like he hits higher highs than she does) but more of a comfort thing. G has actual reach, great damage output, and can get huge rewards off his command grab which makes it feel more worth going for even if it is way slower than any other in the game (which makes me feel better about using it and getting blown up for it than with say Laura where you're risking a fat combo to the face for like 190 damage, 200 stun, and mediocre oki).

Looking forward to campaigning for a bit. Gotta learn a lot of new muscle memory.

• 3 months later...
On 4/14/2019 at 1:03 PM, Darc_Requiem said:

April Annihilation Top 8 starts at 5:30PM EST

That was a fun tournament. I don't think I can ever get tired of watching ProblemX use Dictator; That guy is on a level not too many others can reach. Plus, everything he does with Dictator is just so... Clean, I guess you could say. Precise. No wasted movements, no wrong moves... I honestly would use  footage of his high-level matches as a template for how Dictator should fight in any animated or live-action projects tbh.

Meanwhile, I'll still be grinding away with Ed. Just got back into Super-Bronze and I'll need some practice time ahead of a little local tournament going down this weekend...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
16 hours ago, misterBee said:

SFV reveals were trash compared to the reveals for every other game. 😧

Of course they were they got leaked by Stream. Instead hey guys were got three characters that you can play tonight. People knew ahead of time. Side note: What I find funny is the number of people that are eating crow about Lucia. It went from "why is this characters in the game?" to "damn this character is fun" in  no time.

6 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

Of course they were they got leaked by Stream. Instead hey guys were got three characters that you can play tonight. People knew ahead of time. Side note: What I find funny is the number of people that are eating crow about Lucia. It went from "why is this characters in the game?" to "damn this character is fun" in  no time.

I just found them underwhelming in general.

Almost every game announced a new season with new chars AND mechanics.  SF pulled out 3 characters after being silent for months.  They said they were going to do something different this year, but it's the same stuff as last year but this time delayed.  Just seems a bit underwhelming.

In that regard, it seems Soul Calibur had the best announcement. IIRC it was the only game that announced new mechanics are well as characters. Everyone was just characters. Its only speculation but it looks like going forward. SFV won't have season but "bundles." With multiple characters dropping at once. If the apparent "Winter Bundle" is a reality, then we'll know that to be the case. Wouldn't bring it up if the Summer Bundle characters weren't leaked on Twitter by some dude before the Steam leak. He said Honda, Lucia, and Poison before hand. People didn't pay him any mind. Based on that guy Oro is going to be in the Winter Bundle.

1 hour ago, Darc_Requiem said:

In that regard, it seems Soul Calibur had the best announcement. IIRC it was the only game that announced new mechanics are well as characters. Everyone was just characters. 

Tekken got balance changes + new moves for every character, and UNIST is getting a new version of the game.  SF really just seemed like the odd one out.

6 hours ago, misterBee said:

Tekken got balance changes + new moves for every character, and UNIST is getting a new version of the game.  SF really just seemed like the odd one out.

I'll be honest, I don't pay any attention to Tekken. I literally stopped watching EVO and started playing Fire Emblem when Tekken started. I don't care for the game and would just about any fighting game before. Glad their fans didn't have stay half the night because of Smash though, would wish that on anybody.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

@Vhozite The only thing I'm doing is a second editing pass on the book I finished back in June. I had to take a break from it. I need to get it properly edited at some point. Luckily it's my hobby and not my job. Give me a few minutes to reboot my system. I can run some sets.

Sorry I didn’t mean right now I just meant in general. I’m actually probably not gonna have time tonight. Eagles game tonight and I really need to apply for jobs