Stage Select

Video Game Discussion Thread vol. 2

Posted (edited)

Multiversus was officially released today (with it having to go down due to traffic) which means more stuff from the datamined. I’ll post it all in the spoiler.

Spoiler

The Powerpuff Girls who were teased before have voice lines. They have their VAs from the original cartoon:  Cathy Cavadini as Blossom, Tara Strong as Bubbles, and EG Daily as Buttercup.

Aquaman and Samurai Jack have character codenames and the latter’s movelist was also datamined. They both have voice lines with Phil Lamarr voicing both of them.  

Several of Jack’s lines imply he’s fighting the Wicked Witch from the Wizard of Oz who was leaked a long time ago.

Daffy Duck has also been leaked though he seems to be in an earlier state than the three I mentioned. He only has animations currently.

Edited by BornWinner
24 minutes ago, Darc_Requiem said:

@BornWinnerWait no...

Reveal hidden contents

Live action Powerpuff Girls 😉

Spoiler

Live Action PPG is as dead and hated as Thatcher by this point. I wouldn’t be surprised if they had the girls mocking it in some way.

18 minutes ago, Hecatom said:

I wonder if the game will manage to have staying power.

It’s gotten a lot of goodwill with its relaunch and from what little I played, the netcode was way better. They just need to not go crazy on monetization and keep the game stable and it’ll keep a player base.

53 minutes ago, BornWinner said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Live Action PPG is as dead and hated as Thatcher by this point. I wouldn’t be surprised if they had the girls mocking it in some way.

They just need to not go crazy on monetization and keep the game stable and it’ll keep a player base.

Seeing MK1, I bet the monetization will be ass 😕

Posted (edited)

It would be great if that guy Matt Booty from Xbox had married a woman with the last name "Crack", and she decided to go with the hyphenated name, so her name could be like Mrs. Booty-Crack.

I can't get enough of laughing at that dude's name though, and it's been years now... if I was reporting gaming news and stuff as a youtuber I certainly could not keep a straight face whenever a story about him and the latest Xbox disaster pops up.

...the next one is likely either Gears 6 (insane that a whole console gen has gone by with no Gears 6 anywhere in sight now) or Fable news, btw... I look forward to what happens with those 2.   It's sure to be a complete shit-show that everyone will have a good laugh about and youtubers will get tons of easy views/clicks from.

Edited by MillionX
Posted (edited)

Extra

Speaking of Gears, Act Man had a pretty good video talking about mostly the first game and its impact on the industry st the time of its release.  Pretty good listen/watch.

There is a timeline somewhere where the chainsaw bayonet didn't happen because Microsoft pushed back against it but Epic fought for it.  Kind of a real shame that Cliffy B isn't involved with games at all cause you look at this footage of him and its clear you could see the passion to do something fun within him before the game industry drained it out of him.

Edited by Sonichuman
32 minutes ago, Sonichuman said:

Kind of a real shame that Cliffy B isn't involved with games at all cause you look at this footage of him and its clear you coukd see the passion to do something fun within him before the game industry drained it out of him.

Add that he has been on the industry since he was a 13/14yo, so no wonder that decided to retire young.
By looking recent interviews, you can see he will like to return, but who knows if is only something that he wants that comes and goes, lol.

1 minute ago, Hecatom said:

Add that he has been on the industry since he was a 13/14yo, so no wonder that decided to retire young.
By looking recent interviews, you can see he will like to return, but who knows if is only something that he wants that comes and goes, lol.

He'll pop up in my twitter feed every so often.  Last thing I saw was him offering consultation services to The Coalition but who knows if they took him up on it.

Posted (edited)

What is up with these Xbox fans and their terrible takes? It would be funny if they were trolling but thir dead serious with this type of nonsense. People have these misconception that if something is a EULA it's binding. Companies can say whatever they want in EULA but it only matters if what they are stating is legal. They just count on people taking them at their word and not challenging the terms.

Edited by Darc_Requiem
Posted (edited)

I know newspapers are a dying, but they should still be a thing. Because whoever at Nintendo decided the Bamboozler was a weapon worth adding to the game needs to be surrounded by haters and get a nice, thick helping of newspaper smacking DEATH. For real, this weapon is TRASH. What nutscack tested this out and said "Yeah, this weapon is cool. Let's include it in the game." Like, who didn't step up to the plate and say "Nah, man, weapon is grabo. Doo Doo batter. Cheeks. MFs are gonna hate when it gets included in Salmon Run." The Bamboozler is such a lame weapon that I would rather have the freaking Goo Tuber instead of it.

Edited by RegH81
Posted (edited)

That's that dumbass thing a lot of younger generation gamers try to say when they're in "bootlicker" spineless sap mode as usual--- "umm actuallyyyyy you don't own those physical games either".  Says who, moron?  Why in the fuck would that different from anything else physical we buy from a goddamn store?  I don't have that shit-ass site twitter so I can't see the replies to see if that fool got any proper pushback on the nonsense.  Anything physical you bought----that particular copy of the goddamn thing IS yours.  It is astounding how they just rolled over and accepted nonsense and actually go out of their way to defend it just to be "right".  

Is the fucking chair or couch you're sitting on yours if you bought it?  What about that microwave in the kitchen, or those old comic books you might still have from years ago?  If not, who owns them?  Foolish clown world ass low-IQ bullshyte.  Can Sega just show up at my place and confiscate "their" Dreamcast that I bought fair and square for the 200 bucks about 24 years ago?  Nope.  Could Capcom show up and "repo" my copy of Viewtiful Joe or Rival Schools then?  Bitch please with that dumb horseshit ass nonsense. 

*edit---if the wise-ass little chumps are thinking of owning as in owning the "IP", no one in their right mind has ever meant that in the history of consumer goods when saying something like "yeah so I bought that new Strider game" or whatever.  Sometimes that level of "umm...actuallyyyyy" stupidity (or trolling?) really makes me want to break things, tbh. When a person pays off something like a car....does the company still own it or does the person own it...? ...that particular car, of course not the actual brand and trademark since some baboons out there apparently need that clarification, I guess.  Absolutely ridiculous.

Edited by MillionX
Posted (edited)

April 2024 Circana numbers

Highlights:  Stellar Blade actually managed to take over April for the top spot.  The amount of sales it garnered was enough to put it at #16 best selling game of 2024 Year to Date and was the only new release in April to rank among the month's top 20 best selling premium games.  Helldivers 2 is still the best selling game of 2024 YTD and is still holding strong in 2nd for the month.  Sea of Thieves makes a top 10 comeback with it's release on Playstation.  Grounded also ends up making an appearance in the top 20.  The biggest comeback story though?  Fucking Fallout....BOTH Fallout titles.  God damn man that Fallout TV show put in WORK.  Fallout 4 rose from the ashes of 87th place to take 5th this month while Fallout 76 rose from #159 place.  It is truly amazing what a good adaptation in a different medium can do to bolster an IP.  Something else that is also been crazy surprising is that despite the ho hum reception to the Playstation Portal it the best selling accessory in dollar sales for both April...AND 2024 Year to date.

Hardware:  No change since last month.  PS5 is still king in unit and dollar sales.  Switch is 2nd in unit sales, Xbox Series is 2nd in dollar sales.  I did see some interesting stats regarding this show up in my feed that I can't fully find again.  Even though sales of the PS5 are down year over year they're still beating out Switch and Xbox by a fairly wide margin at the moment.  PS5 is 8% higher over PS4 at this point in terms of sales numbers in its life time and I think the report said that Xbox series is actually -13% behind Xbone in it's life cycle.  Actually here's an article with that info: https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2024/05/ps5-sales-trend-ahead-of-ps4-in-us-leads-console-market-by-significant-margin .  Oh I just found Mat's tweet

April 2024 Top 20:  Stellar Blade, Helldivers II, CoD: MW III  (2023), Sea of Thieves, Fallout 4, MLB: The Show 24, Dragon's Dogma 2, Fallout 76, Hogwarts Legacy, EA Sports FC 24, Rise of the Ronin, Grounded, Minecraft, Dat Madden 24, Princes Peach: Showtime, Rainbow Six: Siege, Tekken 8, MK8D, Elden Ring (I'm fully expecting this game to shoot up next month), Spider-Man 2

Year to Date: Helldivers 2, CoD: MWII (2023), Dragon's Dogma II, MLB: The Show 24, FFVII: Rebirth, Tekken 8, Dat Madden 24, Suicide Squad: KtJL (Crazy how the game got enough sales to top 10 ytd but dropped off the face of the earth shortly after release),  Hogwarts Legacy, Persona 3: Reload,  EA Sports FC 24, NBA 2K24, Spider-Man 2, Rise of the Ronin, Skull and Bones, Stellar Blade, Mincraft, Sea of Thieves, Elden Ring (climbed one spot...dat anticipation), SMB Wonder

PS5 top 10 titles played:  CoD HQ, Fortnite, GTAV Remastered, NBA 2K24, Roblox, Helldivers II, Dat Madden 24, Fallout 4 (crazy), Spiderman 2, Immortals of Aveum (*DOES A SPIT TAKE* WHAT!?  Why?  From 291 to 10?!)

Xbox Top 10 played: Fortnight, CoD HQ, Roblox, GTAV Remastered, Minecraft, Fallout 4, Rainbow Six: Siege, NBA 2K24, Dat Madden 24, Fallout 76

Steam top 10 played; Helldivers II, Counter-Strike 2, Content Warning, Fallout 4, Fallout 76, Baldur's Gate III, Lethal Company, Fallout: New Vegas ( well now...), Destiny 2, Stardew Valley

Playstation top 10 best selling: Stellar Blade, MLB: The Show 24, Sea of Thieves, CoD: MW III (2023), Helldivers II, Rise of the Ronin, Dragon's Dogma II, Fallout 4, Grounded, EA Sports FC 24

Xbox Top 10 best selling games:  CoD: MW III (2023), Fallout 4, Dragon's Dogma II, EA Sports FC 24, CoD: Blops III, Hogwarts Legacy, Dat Madden 24, Minecraft, Forza Horizon 5, CoD: Blops II

Nintendo Top 10 best selling: Princess Peach: Showtime, MK8D, SMB Wonder, Hogwarts: Legacy, Smash Ult, Mario vs. DK 2024, Minecraft, Pokemon Sc/Vi, LoZ: TotK, Mario Party Superstars

Some other interesting tweets from Mat

Spoiler

Bruh....I'm gonna need people to chil

Edited by Sonichuman
6 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Like...ok that's cool and really awesome that you're continuing to give the show recognition...and then on the other hand you fucking killed Rooster Teeth this month.

Yeah WB is trash and if she gets in it would definitely be the most awkward inclusion next to Black Adam. I can’t blame the devs though. They were probably working on this for a while. Way before WB decided to kick Rooster Teeth to the curb.

Stellar Blade dropped on April 26th and was the number #1 selling game for the month. That's impressive. FFVII Rebith is nowhere to be seen but Hogwart's Legacy still shows up. At least Square Enix, unlike WB, took the correct hint from the situaiton. Square Enix leaving PS exclusives behind. WB is not making more games like Hogwart's Legacy. They are making more games like Suicide Squad which has dropped off the list entirely. Hogwart's Legacy is over a year old. 

@Sonichuman I can't understand the Immortals of Aveum thing either. At first I was thinking it was because of the FSR3 update for consoles but that wouldn't be refleced in these numbers. That update just dropped. *shrugs*

Side note: After beating Stellar Blade, 8.5. I immediately went into New Game+. I may never get through FF16: Rising Tide at this rate. 

13 hours ago, Sonichuman said:

Ruby Rose has apparently been leaked through voice lines for Multiversus and...I have a range of emotions about this.

Like...ok that's cool and really awesome that you're continuing to give the show recognition...and then on the other hand you fucking killed Rooster Teeth this month.

TBF.
RWBY has been in a steady decline for the last couple of years (pretty much after Monty died), and outside RWBY it has not been able to produce steady income, heck, even RWBY was not really helping bring money into the studio, basically operating in red through the years.

It was something that was coming for quite a while, and if anything, WB kind of gave them a lot of time to try to correct.

As it is, it seems that they are still interested on keeping RWBY around, if the anime is any indication, just not with RT.

3 hours ago, Darc_Requiem said:

FFVII Rebith is nowhere to be seen but Hogwart's Legacy still shows up. At least Square Enix, unlike WB, took the correct hint from the situaiton. Square Enix leaving PS exclusives behind.

I wonder if the issue is just that the games where PS exclusives, or if there is another layer to it.
To me it seems that it also doesn't help that their budgets get bloated to the point that numbers that would be considered good for many games (2 million in a month or 2) are considered mid to bad.

Then add that when considering the sales of remake on the same time frame, which was also an exclusive, it paints a drop of around 30%, which tells us that there can be other factors, like the current economy situation around the world, the kind of busy release window where it was released, etc.

13 minutes ago, iStu X said:

I don’t want to hear anyone bitch about DBFZ’s roster ever again

IMG_0633.jpeg

I wonder what SSJ Kale?
The berserker one, or the one that is in control of her power like when she and Caulifla fought Goku?

I bet Immortals of Aveum is being played now is because of the addition of FSR3 or whatever.  I imagine the game would run like crap on ps5 and fsr3 would help with that.  If it were PC it would be simple...they removed denuvo. 

Its not a great game but its fun and its pretty...a bit cheesy.

I know that the 360 was the best xbox game console and all, but I kind of put a veil of doubt on saying that had an amazing finish, when many of the sales were driven due the high rate failure that the console had and that Xbox lost a lot of money on the repair services and guarantees that had to uphold.

With that context in mind, its numbers are not necessarily great all things considered, since it paints a picture where the number of sales doesn't reflect the number of actual owners by a considerable margin, when compared to the competition, since the failure rate was around 54.2 percent.

So if you take this in consideration, the Xbone sales numbers make a lot of sense and are more reflective of the actual number of players on the ecosystem, and shows the actual growth, or more like  lack of, on that generation, where many players felt burned out due the failure rate of the 360 and their atrocious pr nightmare with the launch the xbone.