Stage Select

The SF6 Thread: Akuma Incoming!

Does anyone know why a lot of the high level players will react to a DI with a parry instead of a DI?  I've seen it quite a bit in this tournament and I've been noticing the drive bar and it happens even when they both have a lot of drive bar. I would think reacting with a punish counter DI would be the better play but there has to be a reason.

36 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Does anyone know why a lot of the high level players will react to a DI with a parry instead of a DI?  I've seen it quite a bit in this tournament and I've been noticing the drive bar and it happens even when they both have a lot of drive bar. I would think reacting with a punish counter DI would be the better play but there has to be a reason.

It's the safer play because it covers multiple options.  

2 hours ago, purbeast said:

So you don't get into the habit of reacting to Drive Impact with Drive Impact at low health.

14 hours ago, Sonero said:

So you don't get into the habit of reacting to Drive Impact with Drive Impact at low health.

I get that for people at my level, but I don't think the pros have meter issues like nubs do.

16 hours ago, HeavensCloud said:

It's the safer play because it covers multiple options.  

How is it safer?  A reaction DI to a DI will be a punish counter and then you can land a big combo, pushing them closer to the corner, or getting out yourself.

1 hour ago, purbeast said:

I get that for people at my level, but I don't think the pros have meter issues like nubs do.

You better watch how often they go into  burnout a second time. And as a matter of fact, EndingWalker lost a game to reacting to DI with DI.

Drive management is def an issue at high level, specially when you factor in that punish counters drain meter and that level 3s also do it. Sooner you get used to it, quicker it'll stop becoming an issue in clutch time situations.

4 hours ago, purbeast said:

How is it safer?  A reaction DI to a DI will be a punish counter and then you can land a big combo, pushing them closer to the corner, or getting out yourself.

If you aren't 100% sure a DI is coming it's just safer to parry because it also covers other options, plus a perfect parry off a DI will get a side switch.  I prefer parry over DI when I'm cornered because even if you miss the perfect parry, you prevent the wall splat.  Sometimes DI's don't seem to come out even when I know they're coming.   

1 hour ago, HeavensCloud said:

If you aren't 100% sure a DI is coming it's just safer to parry because it also covers other options, plus a perfect parry off a DI will get a side switch.  I prefer parry over DI when I'm cornered because even if you miss the perfect parry, you prevent the wall splat.  Sometimes DI's don't seem to come out even when I know they're coming.   

Maybe it has something to do with the freeze screen glitch where, if you press a button during the opponent's DI freeze screen your input gets eaten.

1 hour ago, Dracu said:

Maybe it has something to do with the freeze screen glitch where, if you press a button during the opponent's DI freeze screen your input gets eaten.

Could be.   There's time where I swear I'm hitting the button and my character just stands there and eats the DI.  

10 hours ago, HeavensCloud said:

I am talking about reaction.  So you either know one has come out or it hasn't.

All things equal, if you have the ability to react and press DI or parry, it just seems like DI will ALWAYS give you a better return.

Aside from the other suggestion that it is to get rid of bad habit (which I still don't really buy into), I still don't see the reason for it.  There is clearly a reason though since they are doing it.  

I can't remember which match it was during SFL but someone lost today because they parried a DI when had they done a DI instead, they would have won.  i specifically remeber watching it and thinking about why didn't they DI it.

This Capcom cup is really trying its hardest to make me hate Luke after how much work aleks le put in to make the character likeable and endearing after his shitty SF5 self 

At least thankfully they're mostly in loser bracket so they'll eliminate each other, just like all the jps did in lcq

5 hours ago, CESTUS III said:

Don't follow Esports shit, but SF6 made me bet on one to get the shiny goods

The internet be like "Cestus trust me, can't go wrong betting on that ANgrybird guy, dude just too strong pokemon best bet"

Me "Angrybird i chose you!"

GoR9B9TJHP79.jpg

I picked EndingWalker and he didn't make it out of his Group. Honestly, he played a lot better with Ryu than Dee Jay. He probably would have done better going with Ryu only. There were so many Dee Jays that qualified, I'm sure all the qualifiers trained hard for that match up. Don't think they even bothered to put that amount of time into Ryu.

Edited by Darc_Requiem